: How long does your 24V trolling motor setup last after a single charge?

work2fish
06-22-2004, 07:35 AM
While I realize that there are many factors such as the speed you are moving and how often your motor is on, I'm wondering what others are typically getting out of their 24V trolling motor batteries. I seem to get only about 2-3 hours before I run out of juice. I'm using a Minnkota 65AP and two Trojan 27-EV deep-cycle batteries. How long are your batteries lasting and what type of motor and batteries are you using?

Toolman
06-22-2004, 07:46 AM
It sounds like there is a problem with your set-up. I have the 65AP on 2 group 31 AC Delco batteries. I can run it at mid-range speeds at least 5 hours without any dropoff in power.

Tim

Shep
06-22-2004, 08:06 AM
I have Grp 27 Remy batteries with my 65AP. I do alot of muskie fishing, and have gone in excess of 12 hours with no drop in power. That would be at a setting of 2-4. Last weekend, I spent all of 6 hours at 6 min, trolling on Bago, and had no drop. Batteries are 3 years old, and charge full in just a few hours.

Tight Lines All,

Shep

eye1nli
06-22-2004, 02:16 PM
I run an AP65 on the bow and a MG Great White 80# on the stern of my Yarcraft 1895 using the Trojan battereis ( they might be 31's though , I don't have the numbers here at work) . I can pretty much run all day without problems depending on what level I'm running. I have had times of high river current where running at 75 or 80 will eventually wear things down pretty good.Generally though, I never have to worry about having enough juice for a full 8 to 10 hours day. Are you sure you are getting a good charge and that both batteries are indeed in good condition?

mikeye6
06-22-2004, 02:53 PM
I use the everstart batteries from walmart. They are chep and I am going on my 3rd year and they are not slowing down much. I am on the water approximately 70 days per year.

work2fish
06-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It helps to know 8-10 hours appears to be the norm. My batteries are only about two years old. I have a 3 bank Pro Charger and it has already been replaced. At the end of last season, I noticed that the green light (which indicates a full charge for each of the three batteries) was not on for one of the trolling motor batteries. It indicated that it was still charging one of the batteries even though the charger had been plugged in for a few days. So, maybe one of my batteries (or the charger?) is indeed bad!

Thanks again,

Pitts
06-23-2004, 12:58 AM
I charge my batts every time out if possible but I have camped on a island in a lake and had no power.
We fished mostly with the electric and after 2 full days of fishing I was forced to use it on high to get the desired thrust but it lasted until noon and we broke camp at that time anyway and headed home.
24V system 71lb thrust MG with 2 31 series batteries.
I used those batts hard for 5 years but they finally gave up this year.
Motor runtime is dependant on a lot of things but mostly on state of charge to start, condition of batts and amount of current draw on them which translates into motor speed.
100% high speed on a motor is not realistic so I know on average I get way more than 10 hours normal use. Normal being at 1/10th power to 1/3 power most of the time for slipping or slow going rigging or jigging.

Pitts

Rick-Wy.
06-23-2004, 07:03 AM
Mike, have just used my 24 V 74 lb. MinKota for a coule of weekends but I can say that I can easily get 2 days service with no problems. I have two size 31 batteries - the cheap ones from Sam's club. Usually change them out every two-three years.

Also, real happy with the 140 Suz., so quiet. I was a little nervous about getting low enough to troll crankbaits, but I think I will be fine.

Running the 18 p SS, and at Glendo (4600 feet) get 6200 rpm and 43 mph (that is on my speedometer). Just a whisker under what my 150 Force would do.

Rick

Rick-Wy.
06-23-2004, 07:05 AM
Mike, also very pleased with the team at Aurora Marine. If anyone is thinking about a purchase from them, I give them a high recommendation.

Rick

work2fish
06-23-2004, 07:45 AM
Rick,

Great news on your motor -- glad you're happy with it. So how slow can you troll? I also agree that the folks at Aurora Marine have been great. Just wish they were closer to my house, but that is even a bigger problem for you! :-)

Regards,

Rick-Wy.
06-23-2004, 07:52 AM
Mike still in the experimental mode.

GPS readings have been 1.7 to 2.5 or so. Friends GPS for whatever reason was erratic.

Transducer speed (questionable source of course) like 1.6 to 2.5.

A veteran troller was in the boat for a few minutes, he seemed to think it was just about right with a slight edge to a little fast - maybe.

So..... when I get a chance to really fish in that manner I will get some hard feedback, but the results appear to be about what was expected.

REW
06-23-2004, 08:16 AM
Curren draw:
A typical group 27 battery will supply 25 amps of current for one hour.

A typical grou 30 battery will supply 25 amps of current for about 2 hours.

If you run your 24 volt trolling motot at maximum speed, you will be drawing about 25-30 amps from the batteries.

This will give you maximum speed and power and is often necessary on a large boat, or in strong winds.

Thus, if you operate your trolling motor at maximum speed, you will typically get about 2 hours of use from a fully charged pair of "average" batteries. Possibly 4 hours of use for the larger extra capacity batteries.

The nice thing about a 24 volt trolling motor battery is that for most fishing needs on most wind/water conditions, you seldom need to run your power setttings at much above 1/2 power.
When, a person drops his power settings to 1/2 power the current draw drops to about 1/4 of maximum power.

Thus the 2-4 hour time, would be multiplied by 4. i.e. the time of use should move to 8-16 hours of useful fishing time.

If, you drop to 1/3 power, the useful time of on the water use is going to double again, and thus go to 16-32 hours of use.

This is why it is very common for many folks who are fishing fairly calm waters, using the motor on a low power setting to be able to fish for a week on a single charge.

Conversely, if a person is using their trolling motor to hover on a spot in 3 foot waves, and is running max power all the time, it is quite likely that the batteries will be dead by noon on a fishing day.

Take care
REW

work2fish
06-24-2004, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the nice summary, REW.

It looks like one of my batteries may be bad. I did some more checking and the lights on my charger do not turn green for one of my trolling motor batteries, even after a couple of days of charging. I checked the water levels and they are fine. So... it looks like I will have to get it replaced.

Thanks for all the help, folks!

stealth I
06-24-2004, 08:40 AM
One thing to remember is discharging those batteries completely is not the healthy thing to do for the batteries. There is technology available for this purpose to extend battery life and keep you on the water. Stealth is a full-blown maintence system for power protection and provision. Those batteries will sulfate more intensive as you discharge them and ramming the power back into them with intensive sulfation on the plates will crystallize that stuff as they cycle. Heat kills the battery so understanding this and rigging your setup accordingly will go a long ways for more life out of your batteries. You might want to checkout the technology www.stealthcharging.com I hope this helps.

Danny

pwrfshn
06-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Mike,

I'm running an 65AP up front and a 74 Vector 3x in the back. Unless it is really rough, I've not been using my kicker for propulsion.

I'm fishing both motors on 30-60% juice for at least 2 days at a time with my new batteries, 18-24 hours. The Interstates I have in the boat are really impressing me. 2 DSC 100 Group 31 batteries, the Optimas were not as good.

Wheels got a taste of the Vector this weekend and how it can really improve boat control.

It is really nice to use both electrics when fishing the shallow water, I've never been a believer of the "kicker spooks them" but hearing that flag slap the board or drag scream on the stripers is priceless. My Merc kicker is one loud four stroke.

Good luck,

RANGER
06-28-2004, 12:01 PM
I voted for the 8-10 hour group. It depends a great deal on how you are running the motor, as REW has said.

I have the 65AP too, and I run it all day off two group 31s. It sounds to me as though your setup isn't as it should be or your running the motor at the higher end of the spectrum. Mine is a bow mount with the batts in the rear. I run 4 gauge wire to the plug in the bow, over 19 ft. away! 6 gauge probably would work but I went with the heavier wire. I use the Marinco plug that utilizes internal jumpers to bridge the two 12 volt leads into the 24 volt system required by the motor. This is done AT the plug leaving the wiring at the batts and throughout the boat in the 12 volt configuration. I have a Guest 2623 to keep them topped off and I have never had any problems with this setup on any fihing trip (knock on wood). :P

If your are using your motor in the higher ranges for long periods of time, it might be wise to consider a kicker. That would solve the problem too.

perchjerker
06-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Actually, with that Marinco setup with the jumper in the plug, your wiring run is doubled to 38ft ;)

And since that little jumper is constricting the flow of current, that extra heavy wire isnt doing you much good.

Once I realized this, I got rid of the jumper and the extra wire and jumped it at the batteries.

RANGER
06-28-2004, 07:46 PM
When I installed the Marinco plug I replaced the jumpers provided with silver/nickel multi-stranded wire in a heavier gauge (can't remember, I think 10 ga.) and have never had a problem. I used the silver/nickel wire for two reasons: 1) Corrosion resistence, and 2) electrical characteristics (low impedence). I had a Marinco setup on a 50 lb. Minn Kota prior to this with no problems. With the 65 I changed the jumpers.

TMN
06-28-2004, 08:35 PM
65AP and I can troll at 1.2 mph on flat calm water for 10 hours and more. With a little tail wind I can troll on one charge for two days. I have 24 series batteries.

work2fish
06-28-2004, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the updates, everybody. I've been checking the charger status regularly (the charger is in a storage compartment and the status lights were not easy to see). Anyway, I found out that my charger will eventually fully charge the suspect battery (shows a green light) after about FOUR DAYS of charging. The other battery charges up fully in only a matter of hours. So, and after all green lights were lit, I took the boat out yesterday and ran about 8 hours at various speeds. So for some reason one of the batteries takes a very long time to charge.

Mexico, those Interstate group 31 batteries sound like a good alternative -- how much each?

RANGER, I agree that a kicker would be a good solution (especially on extended fishing trips with no electrical hookups). I will have to wait on that one due to finances... :-(

Regards,

perchjerker
06-29-2004, 04:16 AM
I didnt mean to say you will have problems, just that your run is twice as long with that setup as it needs to be. And with a 10 ga jumper, you still have a current bottleneck there.

Just food for thought, thats all.

pwrfshn
06-29-2004, 07:22 AM
They are somewhere in the $180 range or lower.

If you can find the Interstate distributor in your area, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

If you bought your boat new, I'd see if you couldn't get the dealer to get them for you as a courtesy and explain your problem.

Batteries are a low markup item from what I am told because there is little for the retailer to do. If you have a warranty issue you can go right to the Interstate Distributor in your area.

Let me know,

RANGER
06-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Heard Ya' buddy!

perchjerker
06-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Yea, just rattlin your cage a bit ;)

Hey I have been waiting for some info on that alarm before I send it. I think they may have a fix for it. Still, I dont need it anymore and will get it to you as soon as I find something out.

RANGER
06-29-2004, 11:37 AM
I don't know the type of boats that are prevalent in your area. We have a number of inland lakes here that are restricted to 10 hp. motors. So, that means there are A LOT of 9.9 OBs around and one can pick up a good used 9.9 or smaller engine for extremely resonable prices (better than new, large electric motors). It might be totally different in Colorado, though, but it is something to think about.

About that one battery of yours.......... Check to make sure there isn't corrosion on the terminals, at the batts, OR on the fuse holders of the leads from the charger to the batts. I had a fuse holder all corroded up one time that had me convinced that I had a bad bank on the charger - NOT!!

A simple test to find out if it is the batt or the bank is to switch the leads between the two batts and see how that charging goes. If that same batt ain't charging, you KNOW that you have a batt problem then!

Good luck and let us know what you found. My guess is the corrosion!