: are walleye and pickeral the same fish?

Scott Walcott
09-30-2001, 12:34 PM
I need help to win a bet. Are Walleye and Pickeral the same fish? Thank you Scott

Backwater Eddy
09-30-2001, 12:48 PM
Only in Canada Eh.

s.f.
09-30-2001, 01:51 PM
although some canadians might call walleyes pickeral, they are two different breeds of cat. the pickeral looks kinda like a northern but doesn't grow nearly as big. the world record pickeral is 9lbs. 6oz.,caught in georgia. what's my share of the bet?

easymoney
09-30-2001, 04:32 PM
No, the Walleye are a member of the perch family.I think the Pickeral and the Northern Pike are related.

Homer
09-30-2001, 06:20 PM
It all depends where you are. In Ontario, one of the common names for what Americans call walleye is the yellow pickerel. Because of this, walleye are called pickerel in some US/Canadian border cities. In the States, there is another family of fish related to pike that are also called pickerel. Two totally different fish (one a walleye, the other a type of pike), both called pickerel.

That's why they have the scientific names, to prevent this type of confusion.

RANGER
09-30-2001, 06:33 PM
BINGO!!

THUMPER
09-30-2001, 07:27 PM
Walleye and Yellow Pickeral are the same fish in Ontario in most parts. In the USA they are not the same fish in most parts. I ahve caught Pickeral that looked like Walleye and Pickeral that looked like Northern Pike in different areas wher I have fished. Hope this makes it clearer.

Roger Mayer
09-30-2001, 07:42 PM
Walleye=Yellow/Blue Pickeral

Chain Pickeral is akin to Northern Pike.

In parts of Ontario a common name for walleye is pickeral. In the U.S. they call the chain pickeral just pickeral. Both of us use the latter half of the name for two totally different species.

I guess you win or lose the bet depending on where you are from!

Roger Mayer.

bigfish1965
09-30-2001, 07:50 PM
The name 'pickeral' means pike-like. The name walleye comes from an older name for the fish ' walleyed pike'. There is a fish called the Chain Pickeral whick is a member of the pike family. However if you are referring to the fish belonging to the perch family, then yes, pickeral and walleye are the same fish. My grandfather always called what we know as walleye, a pickeral. And thats good enough for me.

SVaerst
10-01-2001, 07:48 AM
From the scientific side of things, and if memory serves me corrcect, you get the following:

Walleye are part of the percidae (not sure on spelling) family which consists of fish like perch, sauger, saugeye etc. Not sure on this part (been a few years..like 10 or so) but all percidae family members have a spiny dorsal fin that does not continue to another fin along the back toward the tail. Also, any family member of the percidae group will have scales.
Fish like sunfish, small and largemouth bass have spiny dorsals, but the fin continues to the rear of the fish and ends right where the body narrows down and out to the tail fin. They too have scales along the whole body (if memory serves me correct) Those fish are a part of the chiclid (not sure of spelling again) family.

Northern Pike are part of the Esocid family which consists of any strain of Pickerel (pickeral as some spell it) and muskies. All of these fish do not have a dorsal fin on their back...but do have a fin near the tail which protrudes right before the narrowing of the body. The big difference is, though, that members of the Esocid family only have scales on the gill plate..and some at that do not have much on the cheek plate. The body is smooth from the head back. The fins are not spiny. The body is much more bullet shaped for quick bursts of energy.

If any of this is incorrect, I do apologize in advance...its been a while since college biology, so I am going on my memory...which..is going faster than what I would hope.

I hope you win the bet... I do have to admit though, I would love to see a walleyed pike. :-) I am always amused at that saying when I see it on a dinner menu. Not trying to poke fun at anyone either. so please do not take offense...none is meant in that statement.

Steve

Gilly
10-01-2001, 09:54 AM
They are same thing around here Michigan.

Peanut
10-01-2001, 10:29 AM
I've always been told that the answer can be summed up as:

Scientifically speaking, they are two different species of fish. However, in some areas (mine included) common usage of the names can be interchangeable.

Given this, it will be hard to say who wins your bet.

derrek.

CANADIAN WALLEYE OPEN UP AND SAY "EH"!

SUPERTROLLER
10-01-2001, 03:38 PM
Scott Walcott ,,,, Where do you live? You've got us wondering who wins the bet!

s.f.
10-01-2001, 05:00 PM
bottem line is the canadian fisheries biogists don't recognize the walleye and pickeral as the same or relative. nor does michigan and so on.... is there a fisheries biogist in the house? please stand up!
but in the books, records etc., there is no relationship biologically
that i can find. so....

Stizostedion vitreum man
10-01-2001, 07:17 PM
The family Esocidae includes the true pikes or pickerels, all of which are members of the genus Esox.

Four species of pike are found in the United States and much of Canada. The best known species is probably the northern pike, Esox lucius. It is distributed over much of North America. The muskellunge, Esox masquinongy is also a well know species of this family. Other less known species include the chain pickerl, Esox niger, the little redfin pickerel, Esox americanus americanus, the grass pickerel, Esox americanus vermiculatus. Many different common names have been applied locally to each these species. So, scientifically speaking, the walleye pike (which is a misnomer) or as it is sometimes referred to in Canada as the yellow pickeral, is not a member of the pike family, but as previously mentioned in above posts belongs to the perch family - Percidae.

Therefore, in plain English, the yellow pickeral is a "common name" used in certain geographic areas to describe a walleye. However, technically speaking this is not correct. That is why common names are so misleading -- even the name walley pike is misleading, since again, the walleye does not belong to the pike family. I hope this helps and clears up the questions raised in this this discussion.

Remember: Always keep your eyes open and your feet dry.

S.v.m

s.f.
10-01-2001, 07:35 PM
thank you, to the previous. i knew you were out there somewhere!

Backwater Eddy
10-01-2001, 07:50 PM
When it comes to solid knowlagable poop on fish Stizostedion vitreum man is "de man"!

Thank's Stizo..........><,,>

Chad
10-02-2001, 06:15 AM
BE,

The guys I know in Canada would have said F'n Eh.

Chad
10-02-2001, 06:18 AM
A rose by any other names smells as sweet!

My grandfather used to call sauger sand pike. Yet they are not realated to pike at all.