: What is best slip bobber "knot" for superlines (10lb fireline)?

wa_walleye
07-17-2003, 02:46 PM
I had used floss to make knot on mono a few years back. It does not work on fireline though. What have you tried and what works best? Also besides thrill bobbers do you know of website that shows the weight a bobber should float? Thanks, wa_walleye

Slip Bobber King
07-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Honestly, In my personal experience, I have found that super lines make slip bobbering miserable.

Here is what you should do..
If you want superior strength, spool up with some 12 lb Berkley XL and attach your bobber stop, bobber, beads to that. Then tie a swivel on and go with 8lb fireline. Kind of a beefy set up eh? This might be a good one for fishing timber and snaggy situations.

For open water.. Nothing beats 8 lb on the spool, swivel then 2 ft of 6 lb.

Just saying that gave me the chills... Thinkin of my lighted bobber glowing beneath the surface.

Gilligan
07-17-2003, 05:28 PM
I love fireline and it is on every reel I own except the ones for slip bobbers. If yo get a small nick in the fireline the knot will shread it and you will eventualy have a hairsnest of fireline above the stop. I bought string especially for the slip bobbers, bright yellow in color I think it is dacron? Came out of Bass Pro.

Try
07-18-2003, 12:36 PM
using two stop knots.

Troutbeck
07-18-2003, 12:47 PM
Here's one that works:

I've found the small plastic stoppers work pretty well. They are a small piece of plastic with a small hole toward each end. Thread the line through one hole then wrap the line around one time then thread the line through the other hole.

You may need to experiment with how many times to wrap it--depending on the size of the holes and the thickness of the line. Sometimes I wrap it only 1/2 way (in other words, thread it through one hole then bring the line around to the other side and thread it through the other hole via the other side of the stopper).

I'll admit it's not as smooth as the string type on monofilament but it does work.

Hope this helps.

Trout

moon
07-18-2003, 06:46 PM
i use mono too, but i tie them with embroidery thread. it works awesome. it holds the 10" bobbers with 1 oz of weight.

Forget the
07-19-2003, 12:32 AM
plastic tabs with the holes in them. They will sooner than later start grabbing the line on the spool as you cast. The effect is like forgetting to open the bail.

REW
07-19-2003, 12:40 AM
I agree with the other post, which suggests that Mono is simply a better line for slip bobber use.
I am curious as to why you want to use fireline or any other super line for slip bobber use.
I see 0 need for slip bobber use. All you have under the bobber is a hook and a bit of weight. No issue on line stretch. If you get a bite, reel all of the slack / and stretch/ out of the line and set the hook.

A single ordinary bobber knot will hold fine on mono.

Also the time or two that I tried using fire line on a slip bobber, was a bad night with continous tangle around the bobber.

Forget the fireline and go with a nice mono and you will be fine.

Take care
REW

Starfish
07-19-2003, 01:03 AM
I presume your preference for superlines while slip bobbering is because they float?

I've had pretty good luck tying slip bobber knots using fly line backing-- probably dacron I guess. I tie it using a uni-knot and it seems to work pretty well on just about everything.

wa_walleye
07-19-2003, 08:41 PM
I own 21 walleye rods, they all have fireline. I guess I better find those extra spools for my spinning reels and put some mono on them. Since I have not used mono (except on salmon rods) for three plus years I am open to suggestion.... What mono and what pound test keep in mind out here you never know when the ten plus pounder is going to hit. My GOAL, is to drift a jig over a reef that is so snaggy that you bring $100 in gear if you plan on fishing it all day. Three years ago lost over $50 in whistlers in 8 hours.... Time to find a smarter approach as the fish are stacked in there again this year. (Wonder why, lol) Any ways any tips would be great. Thanks for the adice, Wa_walleye

Adam
07-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Good posts!!! Very good. Slip bobbers are very effective for all fish.

Adam.

moon
07-19-2003, 10:26 PM
I can't imagine a walleye that 20# mono couldn't hold. If you tie on a snap or swivel 3-4' above your hook and use a lighter dropper you can (i guess i assume you do) avoid retying so much and losing so many bobbers. Also a hook with a leech and some pretty beads wouldn't hang up as much as a jig. and a circle hook would be even less inclined to snag up.

Starfish
07-20-2003, 06:30 AM
8 or 12 lb mono ought to be plenty. I run 8lb. on my "long" steelhead bobber rods (10-1/2 foot) and 12 lb. on my "short" (7-1/2') ones. I had good luck with either McCoy or Stren Hi-Vis for spinning rods, and either McCoy or Maxima for the baitcasters.

Renn
07-20-2003, 07:28 AM
Wa_walleye,

I use a rubber bobber stop that Cabelas sells. I started using them with my live bait rigs to adjust the lenght of my snell. I had the same problem you had with the threaded knots. The neat thing about these bobber stops is they come in different sizes to match the weight of the line. I would get the stop that matches the diameter of the Fireline you are fishing rather than the lb. test. I fish 8 lb. Fireline and use the 2 - 4 lb. bobber stop and they don't slip even when I am dragging around 1/2 - 3/4 oz. walking sinkers.

Give them a try and let us know how you do with those ten pounders!!

Renn