: Medium light to light bait casting rods??

Texeye
01-12-2004, 06:10 PM
The new Diawa drop shot rods look sweet!

Does anyone know of any other quality casting rods offered in the medium light to light range without spending $150.00? I don't mind spending around a hundred on a good pole but I can't find any bait casting poles in the medium light to light range anywhere near $100.00.In fact,it's hard to even find a medium light bait casting pole in any brand.

Thanks,
Texeye

GR8WTHUNTER
01-13-2004, 12:32 AM
Most casting/trigger rods have been used by and marketed for bass fishing. That is where the biggest market is. The market dictates production and pricing. With these lighter casting rods being a "specialty" item, the pricing has been high. The drop shot rod you mention is a jump on the band wagon rod to capture sales from the increased popularity of light finess fishing in the bass world. I am sure it would make a fine jigging set up. If you take some time and check out the rods offered at Cabella's and bass pro(check casting, trigger, and species rods at bass pro)you will find that there is more than just one option for a lighter casting rod and the prices will gange from $40 to about $300.

Burr ND
01-13-2004, 09:10 AM
Try looking at a Gappen. They are a small company, direct sales by the maker. They do something different with their reel seat that really makes the rod sensitive. It is a pretty big difference from how all the other manufacturers are trying to increase sensitivity. The rod itself seems to be really sloppy, soft etc, but the feel from the handle is unbelievable. They have a web site you should be able to find from a search engine. If I remember right they have several choices from $80-110. It might be an option for a lighter action baitcaster that retains sensitivity.

dkooser
01-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Tex,
Being a Texan myself and having been forced to relocate to Colorado about 25 years ago, I too like to jig fish with a baitcaster. I found a Bass Pro Crankin' Stick, 6'6", Med Lite. 1/16-1/2oz, one piece rod. I can cast a 1/4oz jig with a 3 inch twister tail 25 yards in no/little wind. I use an older Quantum E600 reel and back the magnet off to setting 1. Sure is fun setting a hook on a walleye like I do bass, kinda really wakes up and pisses off the eye in one hook burying motion.

I use Fire Line too, think that glides thru the eyes better and allows me to get any snagged jigs back.

This rod http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=36915&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=2&hvarSubCode=3&hvarTarget=browse

$39.99 38-124-140-00 6-14 LB
1/16-1/2 OZ
($5) 6'6" ML
HANDLE B
LB,SB,W CK661MLT

Dave

stevefellegy
01-13-2004, 03:48 PM
The best feeling baitcaster for bottem bouncing/in hand trolling that I've used is the Wristsaver baitcaster. They come in med. light, medium and heavy actions...all being 6'6" with a high quality graphite, one piece blank. www.wristsaverrods.com Any reel fits the ergonomic handle very well. It feels great and since your not straining to hold the rod, your relaxed arm/wrist is more apt to be at optimum sensitivity.

Texeye
01-14-2004, 08:16 AM
Thanks,guys.

I've been busy but have started looking at some of the rods mentioned.The ergonomic handles look like they would be comfortable.I found Gapen's and some of those poles look nice.When I get more time I'll do a little more research.

Thanks for the leads.
Texeye

Box
01-14-2004, 08:40 AM
My brother has a Berkley Series One med-light that is really incredible. Not sure of the price, but certainly not over $100. Very light weight and can cast some very small lures and jigs.

-Box

REW
01-14-2004, 12:10 PM
A good rod to get is one custom made from a medium light spinning rod blank.

The typical spinning rod blank, will have a considerably different action than the same blank in a casting version - as offered by most manufacturers.

So, if you can't find the action that you want in a casting rod - check out a spinning rod - select the blank, and either build, or have built - a custom rod - using that or a similar blank.

Take care
REW

stevefellegy
01-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Great point Rew makes....I have taken blanks not offered by Wristsaver and used the ergonomic handle. I did this with muskie rod blanks and salmon rod blanks. This IS a simple process as you can purchase just the handles from Wristsaver by themselves along with a trim piece to put onto the new blank to dress up the new "connection". The handles are relatively cheap....find out through www.wristsaverrods.com

Texeye
01-15-2004, 08:20 PM
REW, I think your on to something.:)

Know any good rod builders?

I built one (wasn't too bad) and decided without the right tools and a good place to work its not worth it.

Thanks for the idea.I have some proven spinning rods I'd like to duplicate.

Texeye

dkooser
01-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Tex,
This guys builds alot of custom rods. Has given "how-to" presentations in the Colorado Walleye meetings, good guy, decent price, good work.

Fishin' Looney Rods
Jeff Looney
(303) 948-2258

Candrzoo2
01-25-2004, 08:34 AM
I have a few Grant Rods. I have a 7' medium light that i realy like. Was $96. I bought it at a fishing show. They have a web site, just search Grant Rods.