: how many Rods on Erie in Ohio

Prchjerker
08-10-2005, 01:49 PM
How many rods are you allowed per person on erie in ohio?

Clicker
08-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Two per person.

Prchjerker
08-10-2005, 02:08 PM
thanks

marcbodi
08-10-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi,
2 Poles with 3 hooks on each.

May I be fishing somewhere Tomorrow

SUPERTROLLER
08-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Does a crankbait with 3 treble hooks count as your 3 hooks or can you still run additional baits/hooks? In Michigan, it's 2 different baits/lures on each pole (2 rods per angler) or a maixmum of 4 baits/lures total unless fishing the Great Lakes where you can run 3 rods with a total of 6 lures when targeting Trout and Salmon with a valid All species license. If targeting Walleye, still a 2 rod limit and 4 baits in the Great Lakes waters.

Papascott
08-11-2005, 05:50 AM
No in Ohio three hooks. Of a person wanted to run a crank with 2 hooks and a harness with 2 hooks it would be illegal until one hook was removed.

Scott

marcbodi
08-15-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi,
A treble hook counts as one hook in Ohio same as in Michigan.

marcbodi
08-15-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi,
A treble hook counts as one hook in Ohio same as in Michigan.

SUPERTROLLER
08-15-2005, 02:13 PM
We're allowed by the number of lures. It doesn't matter how many hooks or the style of hook attached to that lure. It sounds like you are limited by the number of actual hooks irregardless of if it's a single barbed hook or a treble hook. You get 3 hooks and we get 4 baits with as many hooks as is on them.

cxtx
08-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Should be like Texas, no limit on the number of rods you can fish. In fact, I think a lot of southern states are like that. Your "fish limit" is your "fish limit", no matter how many rods you have out. Just doesn't make sense to me.

SUPERTROLLER
08-15-2005, 09:02 PM
I agree with that 100%. I could never figure that part out either. What difference does it make whether you are running 2 poles or 6? You can still only run so many before causing yourself alot of grief and messes anyway. Your limit of fish is still going to be the same, so it shouldn't matter if you caught them on 5 different set-ups with 5 different baits at 5 different depths. It's still 5 fish.

GU
08-15-2005, 11:07 PM
It can be more difficult to catch a limit with fewer rods, so fewer rods reduce harvest, therefore allowing larger limits? More rods also result in more incidental C&R mortality?

Kinda on-subject, I copied what's below from a thread about 3-ways on the Ohio Sea Grant Site. Bottom line from the authorities is you can run 3 hooks/line and a 2 hook crank and a one hook harness equals 3 hooks and Mr. Snyder from Sea Grant provides good information in his response. I would still like someone to explain how a crank and a harness fit the definition below when walleye fishing as I just don't get it. If the words "or a combination of" were in the last sentence instead of only the 1st sentence of (M) I'd agree. I don't care what the regulation is, I just want to be able to interpret it same way as everyone else and need the grammer explained or something.:)

Thanks,
GU

The Ohio fishing regs say "Anglers may use up to 3 hooks on each line EXCEPT as provided in the Ohio Administrative Code." (emphasis on except added by me)

1501:31 - 1 - 02 of the Ohio Administrative Code:
-----
(M) "Angling" means fishing with not more than two hand lines, not more than two units of rod and line, or a combination of not more than one hand line and one rod and line, either in hand or under control at any time while fishing. The hand line or rod and line shall have attached to it not more than three baited hooks, or not more than three artificial fly rod lures, or one artificial bait casting lure equipped with not more than three sets of three hooks each.
-----

One diff opinion was hook=tie, 3 ties/line. Multi-hook crank = 1 hook, 2 hook harness=2 hooks, harness & crank ok. Same as I was orig taught - no documentation though.

I accessed OAC through Anderson's on-line documents.

Thanks again,
GU

By Fred Snyder, Ohio Sea Grant Extension (67.217.4.67 - 67.217.4.67) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 02:52 pm:

Hello GU,

My impression was that the law was worded pretty plainly, but to be sure I wasn't overlooking anything, I checked with Mr. Kevin Ramsey, the Division of Wildlife's Lake Erie Law Enforcement Supervisor. Sure enough, the word hook means hook.

To make things as clear as possible, under Ohio law, a fishing line extending from your rod, your hand, or your tip-up can have no more than three (3) hooks, no matter how they're tied, arranged or attached to lures. Remember those Flatfish lures that were arrayed with four hooks? They are not legal lures in Ohio.

A treble hook or a double hook is counted as a single hook; thus your three hooks may have more than three points. But no more than three hooks of any type can be attached to the line you're fishing with.

If you want to use a three-way swivel or set up a slider to fish more than one lure, that's fine as long as the number of hooks involved is not more than three.

If you want to use a harness with a crank bait, possible ways to stay legal include using a single hook worm harness with a crank bait having only two hooks; or use a two-hook worm harness and remove all but the trailing hook on the crank bait.

All those other interpretations about a tie equaling a hook, etc. are not valid. How can a multi-hook lure equal one hook when the prefix "multi" means "many?" None of those interpretations will wash if an angler is checked while fishing by a wildlife officer.

I'm not fully up to speed with the issue that came up in the recent tournament, although I'm aware that questions raised at the tournament generated your inquiry to this discussion board. My advice to all involved in tournaments is than when legal definitions are in question, contact Mr. Kevin Ramsey at his Sandusky Office (phone 419-625-8062). He's a great resource and always willing to help.

Good fishing (with no more than three hooks) -- Fred

cxtx
08-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Guess you better not use a stinger hook with those 3 hook crawler harnesses when fishing in Ohio. :-) I assume PA has similar laws and if so, I have broken the law on several occassions. I guess I will have to count my hooks more carefully. Back to the "rods" discussion, back in the day, I'd beg people to come fishing with me out on Erie so I could get more lines in the water. Some days, running just 10 lines wasn't enough! :-) 12 was a comfortable number for us and we ran 14 at certain times but that was pushing it (6 planer lines, 4 rigger lines and 4 dipsy lines). Thats a lot of lines and a lot of people on a 25' boat. Only did it on calmer days and really didn't have too many problems with tangled lines as long as you know what you are doing....