: Boat Color

KLN2
01-26-2007, 04:55 PM
I know this one might not go over so well, but does the color of the hull of a boat spook fish. I was told by a well-respected fisherman that any color but white will spook fish in clear and shallow water. Ever since I was convinced of this, with details, every boat I have purchased has had a white painted hull. Anyone ever heard of this and do you think there is an advantage of having a white bottom boat in these conditions?

Chad
01-26-2007, 05:03 PM
In the water with a shadow won't all hulls appear black (shadow)?

ChadM

Questor2
01-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Apparently it's not a concern for people who build high-end sportfishing boats. That's good enough for me. A lot of fishing boats are white because it's a very practical color in terms of reducing sun damage. It's also the easiest color to keep looking good.

My opinion is that if you are close enough to spook them with color, then you've already spooked them with something else first.

A couple of things to consider are:
1) A fish needs to be very close to see the hull color above the water line. This has to do with the way water bends light. It's the same reason good trout fishermen sneak around on their hands and knees when approaching waters that require stealth.

2) Colors are filtered out of the water within short distances in most fresh waters because of the low visibility. In other words, the boat is invisible long before the lateral line stops detecting it.

3) Angler movement is probably a bigger factor in cases where spooking due to visual stimulus. This is because a standing angler may be tall enough for the fish to see. Attire that is compatible with the background is advisable in clear water situations, as when flyfishing for bonefish on the flats, or trout fishing in clear, still water.

Phil T
01-26-2007, 05:50 PM
I thought big water boats were white because that makes them easier to spot from the air. Big water may involve the Coast Guard on a bad day.
Believe it or not, there is (was) a California company that sold decals of schooling baitfish to apply to the bottom of a boat. Of course, there was also once a scent cover for turkey hunters (turkeys can't smell). It was made of turkey dung.

Terroreyes
01-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Have a light pewter/silver boat and a black Tundra. Haven't noticed a bit of difference fishing the same waters in either. Perch, walleye, bass,... Myth busted! :)

P.S. The 120W stereo system doesn't scare them either. :)

Visit DOWNRIVER TACKLE in the Walleye Central Directory
http://www.walleyecentral.com/wcdirectory/yellowresult.php?goal=Detail&ckey=47&primaryField=description&category=Bait+%26+Tackle%3A+Manufacturers&textToFind=

Steve B
01-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Most, if not all of the fishing boats I have owned had a white or silver hull bottom, then a different color above the water line.

I've trolled a black boat (as above), in 3 1/2 feet of water long lining directly behind the boat many times and have caught plenty of walleyes.

REW
01-27-2007, 12:41 AM
The reason that Blue water boats are typically white in Glass is that white is the one color that does quite good at reflecting sunlight - rather than absorbing it.

White is about the only fiberglass color that does not fade with use and age.

Take care
REW

KLN2
01-27-2007, 10:17 PM
I've noticed that some bass boats are being made with black hulls. Also, I have seen bobber colors that have been changed from the water line down, to prevent spooking walleye. Unfortunatly, I have no way of verifying that the white hull, below the water-line produces more fish.

Jack G
01-27-2007, 11:14 PM
I read an article by Doug Hannon, a big bass authority from Florida, and he stated that boat color could have a negative impact on bass fishing.

Personally, I do not believe it and I don't give a seconds thought about boat color and how it effects fish.

Jack

Yup
01-28-2007, 10:32 AM
>The reason that Blue water boats are typically white in Glass
>is that white is the one color that does quite good at
>reflecting sunlight - rather than absorbing it.
>
>White is about the only fiberglass color that does not fade
>with use and age.

Yup. Plus it is the easiest color to match while repairig gelcoat cracks.

As far as "being easier to spot from the air" ... well, think about these 2 facts. 1.) The ocean and big water will have white caps. How easy is a white boat to spot when surrounded by white water?? 2.) During WW2 the U.S. did tons of experiments on the effectiveness of various camoflage configuations. The winner? Make the object to be camoflaged LIGHTER in color than its surroundings. It can even be a SOLID color and this will still work. A WHITE BOAT surrounded by BLUE or GREEN water??? Hmmmmm. Sounds like exactly the camoflage the government would have recommended.

swede sd
01-28-2007, 12:24 PM
>
>I read an article by Doug Hannon, a big bass authority from
>Florida, and he stated that boat color could have a negative
>impact on bass fishing.
>
>Personally, I do not believe it and I don't give a seconds
>thought about boat color and how it effects fish.
>
>Jack
Did Big Bass Doug say what boat color could have a positive impact of fish?

Jack G
01-28-2007, 06:36 PM
Swede sd

It was several years ago when I read that article and honestly I do not remember what color he favored.

I figure that every boat when viewed from underwater, framed against a lighter sky, would appear to be black or at least dark.

Jack

Sailor Sam
01-28-2007, 10:22 PM
The only reason I can think of is that everbody would feel that they were missing there bathtubs if they didn't have a white boat. :-) I usually carry a bar of soap in my tin can if somebody needs it. Good luck on finding the right color boat.

Sailor Sam
01-28-2007, 10:22 PM
The only reason I can think of is that everbody would feel that they were missing there bathtubs if they didn't have a white boat. :-) I usually carry a bar of soap in my tin can if somebody needs it. Good luck on finding the right color boat.

marcbodi
01-29-2007, 01:56 AM
Hi,
While fishing for Salmon at night at Swan Bay At Rogers City MI.I would anchor and cast in water 5 to 7ft at night in my light blue 16 ft Aluminum Boat and the Salmon would jump next to the boat and sometimes hit the boat.We had a lot of hits right at the boat.After being in a bad storm up there i started taking my 19 ft white boat up there.The fish would not jump by the boat and my hits were farther out.Painted the bottom blue and the next year the fish were around the boat again.I think it helps casting and trolling in shallow water.Works better for me.

May I be fishing somewhere Tomorrow

T Mac
01-29-2007, 01:39 PM
As I recall, Hannon had a little camo "bathtub shaped" boat he was filming with at the time.
The water he was filming at was gin clear and very shallow.

It would a similar situation to nimrods sneaking up on Brookies and Cutthroats in our small western trout creeks. They better not see you ...if you want to catch any of them. :)
And more importantly......better wear camo so the landowner doesn't see you fishing his crick! LOL!
...:)

KLN2
01-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Does the glitter in the gel-coat on the bottom of a boat spook walleyes in shallow water. No matter what you decide on a hull color, its very important to have nice gel-coat and glitter, or paint on aluminum, above the water line .:-)

Glitterbottom
01-30-2007, 06:09 PM
The suns is shining on the top of the boat not the bottom. I don't think the Glitter effect will come into play. Besides, most people reach for hammered blades before the dull finish blades, I assume there is a reason for that. I hear that Laser smile blade is a winner and it's certainly bright and flashy.. Maybe the eyes will think your boat is a big ole Shiner sunnin' himself on the surface and Pavlov's principle will kick in.. Don't get so caught up in the wives tales..Them old 'eyes just want to eat....

KLN2
01-30-2007, 11:09 PM
I have to disagree. Walleye just don't eat. When they do eat, its easy fishing. The tough part is finding ways to get them to bite when they are not hungry. I feel like I understand the habits and instincts of walleye.

I had a feeling this post would not go over well because if I'm right about boat hull color spooking fish in shallow water, most guys are stuck with what they have and could be missing out on some fish. A statement like that will always create some negative feedback.

From what I have found learning how to catch the elusive walleye, there are lots of things a person can do to catch non-feeding walleye and one of them is "don't spook them before you start fishing". I get very serious about looking into some of this stuff. Good luck with your fishing:-)

Glitterbottom
01-31-2007, 09:37 AM
I can't disagree with your logic, if that method and path of reasoning works for you fly at it. Of course, there is always the other option. Rather than selling your wrong color boat and buying the right colored boat so you can catch more fish, you could always pick up and move when the bite wanes to find a new pod of Active fish that want to bite and not waste time on the negative fish. They will bite sooner or later if your patient enough and check them now and then. Not all fish turn on and off at the same time....Just a thought if the color thing doesn't work out..Good luck to you as well....

KTurner UL
01-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Why don't boat companies (and drift sock companies for that matter) design different schooled minnow patterns so if fish can see the bottom of your boat they are attracted to it? They could offer a variety of options to match the minnow type that swims in the waters you fish, e.g. shiners, ciscos, rainbows, etc.... Might be kind of odd/corny but with today's paint technology I think it's highly possible........