: Lake Erie - returning from Ontario waters to Ohio Waters - US REQUIREMENTS

03-05-2008, 09:41 AM
18 brave souls said the #### with the weather and came to the meeting last night. It was very informative!

The gist is that if you as a sport fisherman plan on fishing Canadian water that you would be well served to buy a passport card or passport and an I68 form for yourself and for those that go with you routinely. Without an I68 form you will need to find and use a video phone to call in after each trip. An I68 will allow you to simply call in. More precise info is on our Denied webpage and info from both the Charter Boat Association and our club meeting is there. Also look for Sea Grant to have something on there website as well.

One interesting note was that there will be 35 new agents where in the past there was only one.

We plan on scanning all the info we received and to make it available on a permanent web page. I'll let you know when we have it up but it will probably be a few days so we can double check with the BP office to make sure it's accurate.

more info here: http://westernbasinsportfishingassoc...ed/report.html

03-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Why would you need an I-68 if you have a passport or passport card? The I-68 was in issuance prior to the need for a passport. I would think a passport has your picture, and all pertinent information regarding your citizenship. I think they want their money for the I-68, that would be the only reason I can see for it.

03-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Without an I68 you would have to visit a video phone rather than just call in.

Passports aren't required this year if you have certified birth certicate and photo ID. It will be required next year though so you may as well get it now.

03-05-2008, 12:15 PM
I have mine, and have never been asked for an I-68 when returning to the US...I just call in on the VHF to the U.S. customs office and tell them I have been fishing in canadian waters, they just ask "how was the fishing??" I just stop in at the beginning of the season and show them my passport.

03-05-2008, 12:18 PM
You must not be on Erie then.

Here is a link explaining the I68


It's not going to be that easy here any longer.

03-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Nope not on Erie. Ontario border of Minnesota. I got an I68 two years ago and after I paid the fee and checked in at the customs office, the agent asked why I had the I68 if I carried my passport, I couldn't answer him. Didn't get one last year and never had a problem. I think most times the agents don't know the procedure. I guess if they want to, they can do what they want anyway, we are at their mercy.....they don't know the rules, how can they expect us too.....????? I think they are a joke anyway.

03-05-2008, 05:32 PM
The meeting that EZMARC organized last night for our fishing club was specific to how the guys in charge of the Ohio office - reponsible for Ohio waters of Lake Erie - based in Sandusky, Ohio are going to enforce things on Lake Erie THIS YEAR.

There was A LOT of confusion last year - will probably be some confusion this year, but the bottom line from the meeting yesterday was pretty clear:

If you leave from an Ohio port and plan to fish in Ontario waters of Lake Erie (or simply cross the border), regardless if you set foot on land or anchor, you MUST check in with the US Customs / Border Patrol upon returning to US waters. By far the easiest way to handle this is to have an I-68 form for EVERYONE aboard. If you do, all you need to do is simply make a phone call. Anyone that does NOT have an I-68 form WILL be required to report in to a videophone location or to one of the border patrol agents.

THE INTENT IS TO INFORM PEOPLE OF HOW THINGS WILL BE ENFORCED ON LAKE ERIE WHEN RETURNING TO OHIO WATERS THIS YEAR. The officer at our meeting didn't make the rules he was simply letting us know how things will be enforced.

03-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Obviously, you folks on Erie are in a different situation than I am. We are just backwoods folks, and nobody really seems to put much stock in what happens up in our neck of the woods. Folks live on the islands, bush camps and small lakes and travel back and forth via water on backwoods waterways where there isn't any roads within 30 miles. Most government officials just stay out of the way of that life style, so in the end, don't really care about the technical aspects of all this mess. The only reason I have the RABC, US passport and OUPV license is because I guide the waters, and need to stay as legal as possible. In some respects, I guess living up here in the woods has it's advantages. BTW I wasn't arguing the info that was posted, it is just different where I live.

03-06-2008, 04:12 AM
we live on the busiest border crossing in the United States

so yea, its different here


03-06-2008, 05:04 AM
Any hint if MI border patrol will be the same for both Lake Erie and more importantly the Detroit River? They checked on us on the river, but didn't have the hassle as the OH Border patrol gave some folks last year. Though we were following the supposedly guidelines (no anchor, set foot, etc.) and returned and being asked simple questions.

03-06-2008, 05:44 AM
>Any hint if MI border patrol will be the same for both Lake
>Erie and more importantly the Detroit River? They checked on
>us on the river, but didn't have the hassle as the OH Border
>patrol gave some folks last year. Though we were following
>the supposedly guidelines (no anchor, set foot, etc.) and
>returned and being asked simple questions.e

We tried to find out how the Michigan group plans to enforce things this year and didn't get that answered. Basically the answer was "I'm not sure how they plan to handle things in Michigan and specifically the Detroit River"

I know there are a few walleye / fishing clubs around the Detroit River area. Probably a good idea to try and arrange a similar meeting with someone from the Michigan group.

03-06-2008, 06:38 AM
thanks for the info marc..

03-06-2008, 06:59 AM
The Lake St Clair Walleye Association tried to have a border patrol agent come to our Feb meeting to discuses this issue. He was a no show.

I do know that the border patrol just purchased 4 new, high speed boats to patrol the Detroit River, Lake St Clair and the St Clair River. This is in addition to the many boats they already have.

03-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Reading the regulation regarding those w/o I-68s it says you only have to call in on the video phone after re-entry into the U.S. NOT Before you leave? Or am I missing something?

03-07-2008, 12:06 AM

I spoke with Officer Ron Smith from CBP Feb, 10, 2008 at a local fishing show in SE Michigan. Officer Smith came to the show and presented information concerning CBP, rules about leaving US waters, and reporting requirements.

According to Officer Smith and the CBP website you have not left US water even though you have crossed the International line by water unless you do one of the following:
1. Engage in conversation (this is very vague) or tie-off to
a hovering vessel in International waters
2. Anchor in International waters
3. Dock at international port like going to Duffy's to
buy dinner

If you do any one of the three items above, you have a reporting requirement with respect to CBP using the I-68 form or Nexxus card. The key is everyone over the age of 18 on your boat is required to have an I68 or Nexxus card. If you fail to report re-entry or leaving International/US waters, you can be subject to fines ranging from 5K to 10K US Dollars. Anyone 18 or younger are only required to have a original birth certificate; not a copy.

If you did not do any of the listed items above, you have not left US waters and do not have a reporting requirement. It doesn't mean you won't be stopped on the water by CBP. In case you are stopped, it was recommended by Officer Smith that you carry 2 forms of identification if you do not have an I-68 or Nexxus card. If you visit the CBP website concerning pleasure boating, the requirements are listed for one document reporting and two document reporting if stopped without entering International water as defined above. This information was acceptable as of January 31, 2008 according to the publication Officer Smith handed out at his presentation.

Please note there are time constraints with respect to reporting requirements especially with re-entry to US waters from International waters. This is dependent on the type of card/form you have been issued.

I would like to know the following from the Ohio meeting -
Was there anything brought up with respect to leaving US waters and what constitutes entering International waters? I would like to know if CBP Ohio is saying the same thing as the CBP website and CBP Michigan. They should be....

I hope this is helpful.


03-07-2008, 04:52 AM
The gentleman at the charter captains conference said that if you were "close" to the border, you would be checked. When asked to define "close", he mentioned 300 to 400 yards.

So if you're going fishing anywhere near the border, know where your position at all times. He said that you must prove that you were not over the line. Sounds like we are guilty until proven innocent!

Glad I fish out of Lorain. No border steel head runs this year. Not worth the hassle.


03-07-2008, 05:04 AM
boy I hear that

makes my trips towing across the ambassador bridge, waiting for an hour and dealing with customs on the way back sound li9ke a picnic LOL

03-07-2008, 09:50 AM

Exceptions to Face-to-Face reporting to CBP
Alternative Inspection Systems (AIS) satisfy the boat operatorís legal requirement to report for face-to-face inspection in accordance with 8 CFR 235.1, but boaters must still phone in their arrival to satisfy 19 USC 1433.

There are four exceptions to the face-to-face inspection at a designated reporting location, NEXUS, Canadian Border Boat Landing Permit (I-68), Outlying Area Reporting Stations (OARS), and the Local Boater Option (Miami, Tampa, and San Juan). Participation in any of the programs does not preclude the requirement for physical report upon request by U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

**Any small pleasure vessel leaving a United States port into international or foreign waters, without a call at a foreign port, does not satisfy the foreign departure requirement. Therefore, certain fishing vessels, cruises to nowhere, or any vessel that leaves from a United States port and returns without calling a foreign port or place, has not departed the United States. **

03-07-2008, 01:02 PM
What is the advantage of the Nexius card and how long does it take to obtain one?

Mr Pike 18
03-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Do what they say.... Or like you said they will do what they want.

03-07-2008, 09:34 PM
The NEXUS alternative inspection program has been completely harmonized and integrated into a single program. NEXUS members now have crossing privileges at any air, land, and marine ports of entry. Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, the NEXUS card has been approved as an alternative to the passport for air travel into the United States for US and Canadian citizens.

The NEXUS program allows pre-screened, low risk travelers to be processed with little or no delay by United States and Canadian officials at designated highway lanes at high volume border crossing locations, at a NEXUS kiosk at the Canadian Preclearance airports, and at certain marine reporting locations in the Great Lakes and Seattle, Washington regions. Approved applicants are issued a photo-identification/proximity card. Participants use the three modes of passage where they will present their NEXUS card and make a declaration. They are then released, unless chosen for a selective or random secondary referral.

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is cooperating in this venture to simplify passage for pre-approved, low-risk travelers.

Who Qualifies For NEXUS?
Individuals may qualify to participate in NEXUS if they are a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada, residing in either country, or if they are a citizen of a country other than Canada or the United States who plans to temporarily reside lawfully in Canada or the United States for the term of their NEXUS membership and who pass criminal history and law enforcement checks.

However, individuals may not qualify if they:

Are inadmissible to the United States or Canada under applicable immigration laws;
Provide false or incomplete information on their application;
Have been convicted of a criminal offense in any country for which they have not received a pardon;
Have been found in violation of customs or immigration law;
Will not lawfully reside in either Canada or the United States for the term of their NEXUS membership; or
Fail to meet other requirements of the NEXUS program.
To participate, both the United States and Canada must approve an individual's application. Denial of an application by either country will keep an individual from participating in the NEXUS program.

What Are The Benefits Of NEXUS?
Individuals approved to participate in NEXUS receive an identification card that allows them to:

Use NEXUS-dedicated lanes, kiosks, and a marine telephone reporting center to report their arrival into the United States and Canada; and, Cross the border with a minimum of customs and immigration questioning NEXUS is a harmonized program and applicants need to complete a single application and pay one fee. This form can be submitted on-line via the Global On-Line Enrollment (GOES), mailed or faxed. Qualified applicants are required to come to a NEXUS Enrollment Center only once, for an interview and issuance of a photo-identification card. NEXUS allows United States and Canadian border agencies to concentrate their efforts on potentially higher-risk travelers and goods, which helps to ensure the security and integrity of our borders.

NEXUS allows United States and Canadian border agencies to concentrate their efforts on potentially higher-risk travelers and goods, which helps to ensure the security and integrity of our borders.

How Do I Apply?
NEXUS is a bi-national program. Applications can be submitted through GOES or sent to a Canadian Customs Processing Center (CPC). Payment must be made at the time of application. The processing fee for a 5-year membership is $50 US or $50 Canadian. Applicants who pay with a U.S. credit card through GOES will pay $50 US. If an applicant submits a credit card payment to the CPC, the cost may be more or less than $50 US, depending on the exchange rate. U.S. dollar payments may also be sent by international money order.

Application forms and a listing of regional CPCs are available on the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) website. ( CBSA website ) For NEXUS toll-free information (U.S and Canada) call 1-866-NEXUS 26 (1-866-639-8726).


bob oh
03-09-2008, 07:24 PM
The border crossing BS and he Twic card (another big pile of BS) is just another example of our government's screwing of law-abiding citizens. it will only get worse until we stand up and say enough. This is all in the name of "security " and it is a massive JOKE. If we were really interested in security the Homeland Security jokers and the Coast Guard computers would be able to talk to each other -THEY STILL CAN'T. The govt. bureaucrates will not secure our borders, but they will harass you as long as you are a law-abiding citizen. If you are an illegal alien or a terrorists you have little to fear from our so-called security forces! They are too busy with their BS harassment programs. If you want changes you need to vote our the jokers who passed these laws.

rod bender bob