: Phelps Floaters

Francis Kelley
03-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Were can you buy Phelps Floater Jigs? Seems like they are getting tough to come buy lately!Is there a tackle supplier other than Bluewater that has them for sale?

LundAnglerMJ
03-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Gander Mtn. I've got a million of 'em. If they're hard to come by, I'll send you some. Give me your address.....Maybe 3-4 for $2, I don't even pay attention. Cause they work.

Chad M
03-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Northland calls em gum drop floaters. Check out cabelas and bass pro.

Bill Krejca
03-18-2008, 03:18 PM
I prefer Phelps to the gumdrop variety, as the Phelps lip seems to pull the bait up a little and out of potential snags, also due to the hook that is used, it rides hook point up. The Phelps Floater name seems to be taking on a generic name, as a number of folks use it to refer to all floating heads.

I don't know where to get them, tho, think my last purchase was from Scheels.

Francis Kelley
03-19-2008, 04:40 PM
I can't find them on scheels website,are you sure the one"s at Gander are Phelps and not Northland type?

DKin
03-20-2008, 06:39 AM
I bought some Phelps floaters last year at Cabelas in Rogers, MN. In checking cabelas.com, they don't offer Phelps but the house brand (fishermean series floating jig head) looks the same with the hook on top.

Bill Krejca
03-20-2008, 12:26 PM
My last purchase was a few years ago, I haven't seen any around since. Looks like an oppoprtunity for some retailer. I believe Mr Phelps passed away a year ago or so, maybe they quit making them?

WinnebagoViking
03-21-2008, 08:01 AM
We had this same conversation on another board about a year ago. Matt Phelps made his way over there ans posted the following:

"Phelps Tackle Company is still alive and kickin'. We(I) am based out of Bemidji. My father invented the original Phelps Floater in I believe 1980 and did have a deal (a crappy one) with northland to let them use the name and make the product. Them using the name ended about nine years ago or so.
A few years ago we developed the Wobbler Floater and a Weedless Floater called the SpongyBug. The Wobbler was available in Cabela's but as of now is not for a couple different reasons.
My father passed away a couple years ago now. After that, I tried to keep up with all facets myself, production, sales, billing, marketing, ect. Well, i finally got burned out and took a step back from the business and just tried to keep it running on a smaller scale. I am now slowly trying to get things back on track. It is difficult for a variety of reasons. Financial, time, and being only one of me. I do not have a website up as of now, but as someone said before, most of our ice fishing tackle is available on the Bluewater Bait website out of Bemidji. I have a catalog with order form I can mail out with the other info in it if anyone is interested. My phone number is a cell phone. It is 218-766-3818. Leave a message if I don't answer. My email is matt.phelps@co.beltrami.mn.us
Thank you all for being "fans" of the Phelps Floater and for your inquiry. Have a great day. Matt Phelps"

Silverfox
04-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Hello All! This is Matt Phelps from Phelps Tackle. First of all, thank you for the kind words about our products. As the last post stated, my father invented the Phelps Floater and he did pass away 3 years ago already after a battle with leukemia. Not long before he died, we invented two new Phelps Floaters; the "Wobbler" that trolls with the hook upright as opposed to the original hookdown, and a Weedless Floater that we call the "SpongyBug". Since dad's death, I have gone back and forth with what to do with the business....sell it, just do local, put money into it, not do that. I know one thing I am very proud of the products my father developed, and of the ones I developed with him. So, I am going to try to get things back on track to get all you great anglers the products that will help you catch more fish.
I am in the process of putting together price sheets and catalogs I can send out to consumers because as of now I do not have a website. Some of my products are available on Bluewater Outdoors of Bemidji, Mn website.(formerly Bluewater Bait) Their website is www.bluewateroutdoors.com Or you may email me at the email on the previous post if you would like me to send you a catalog as soon as I am done with them. Thanks again! Take care and Good Fishing!

Matt Phelps
Remember, It Helps to Use Phelps!