: Auto Jigger

skeeter
12-01-2006, 03:45 PM
A long time ago myself and several other people were looking for one of those Automatic Jiggers. I found one the other day. They look pretty sharp and has controls better than the one I have. Check it out. Skeeter
http://reelstackle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27_39&products_id=312

Use the WALLEYE CENTRAL BUSINESS DIRECTORY "Skeeters Stuff" under marine supplies (boat cleaning supplies), it really does work.

http://www.walleyecentral.com/wcdirectory/yellowresult.php?goal=Detail&ckey=29&primaryField=description&category=Boat%2FMari

skeeter
12-01-2006, 03:51 PM
These are not only handy to use they are fun and are quite a conservation piece! They really do work. Have used one, ( different brand no longer made) for several years. Plus they do catch fish for you, really cool. Skeeter

Use the WALLEYE CENTRAL BUSINESS DIRECTORY "Skeeters Stuff" under marine supplies (boat cleaning supplies), it really does work.

http://www.walleyecentral.com/wcdirectory/yellowresult.php?goal=Detail&ckey=29&primaryField=description&category=Boat%2FMari

REW
12-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Skeeter has it right!!
The auto jiggers do work well. ]
I was looking for one last year, and skeeter helped me do some research on the units.

I ended up picking up a couple commercial units, as well as designing one myself.

The unit that is in the attached URL is a simple dc motor with a piece of plastic on the end of the motor with cuts in the plastic to form a cam. The shape of the cam determines the frequency and action of the jigging action.

--
THe unit that I designed uses an industiral gear motor, and a couple sets of electronics to determine jigging delay and frequency.

Each work. Certainly simple is less expensive.

---
The auto jiggers are nice if you are in an area where you can have multiple lines and want to space them out a bit. You can have auto jiggers on the lines not being held and still get some decent jigging action.

--
I have seen numerous examples where a line with a set bait will get fish, but if there is a small amount of jigging action on the bait, the number of hits will be multiplied many times.

--
The one thing to note about most of these jiggers is that they will only work well in an area that is above freezing or inside a heated box. The moving line starts above water. So, if the air temp is below freezing, the moving line will cause the line to wick up with ice and eventually freeze solid as would be the case with a candle wick being dipped in wax.

Give them a try.

If any one has questions about making one - drop me an e-mail at
hflier@comcast.net

Take care
REW

CI_Guy
12-02-2006, 04:23 PM
We were setting one up in a house on Upper Red 2 years ago when a C.O. checking our licences told us they were illegal in MN.
Since the jigger raises the line and could provide a mechanical hook set it is not legal to use in MN.
Never checked with anyone else at the DNR, just returned the unit.

skeeter
12-15-2006, 02:15 PM
I just received my new jigger in the mail. They are really nice, the speeds can be adjusted on this one. Can't wait to use it now. Going to be a great addition to my equipment! Skeeter

Reels
12-15-2006, 03:31 PM
I called the MN DNR this morning and e-mailed a few pictures. They stated that as long as it does not have a hook setting devise it is legal.

<{{}}><

tly
12-15-2006, 08:44 PM
A friend in MN has several of these. Interestingly they are used both in house and on tip ups. The ones he has have a transmitter so when the strike triggers the device (it does not set hook) a signal is sent to a device with LED's and flashes appropriate LED. This sits on card table making it quite convenient (kinda like going to a game farm & shooting an elk in your 3 piece suit or something).

Come a long way from the rattle reel.

Garvin
12-17-2006, 09:17 AM
HA! every time I look at those sound activated Hallmark Christmas singing and moving things you see on TV advertized this time a year (I think they had one last year that was a dancing bat operated snow man) that you could hook a small arm onto one and with my buddy always talking, it would constantly work. I would like to see the look on guys coming over. Of course in a while you might strangle the things because of the singing!

Reels
12-17-2006, 04:38 PM
LOL, That is not a bad idea. Would you need a license for him?

<{{}}><