: Ice Fishing Lite Source

Gills
11-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Have not yet found the perfect lite source for checking tipups. Have used gas lanterns, propane lanterns, electric lanterns,different types of flashlites etc. What do you guys use and like?

went522
11-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Reflective tape on the flag and a spot light.

BIRDDOG

The Bullhead
11-28-2006, 06:11 PM
I use an LED headlamp. Got the idea from a buddy, really does work good. LED light shows up much brighter than conventional lighting against the snow/ice....and batteries last forever.

JJ Mac
11-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Who wants to even leave the warm shanty to check tip-ups? Brrr!
Plus it cuts in on your jigging time.

Last year I tried thill nite brite bobber lights. They last about 20 hours if you keep them dry. You can see them easily from a long way away. Plus they work great for alerting traffic to yourself and your tip-up. Just glue or tape some rubber fishtank tubing to the end of your flag wire and your tip-up is ready to stick in the light. I like to place the tip-up in view from my shanty window so I can see it the instant a fish hits. If you want to have the tip-up a long distance away from you, it can get difficult to determine whether the flag (light) is up or not. In those rare cases I've used two lights, one on the flag wire and one on the base, and you can see the separation when you get a release.

They work awesome on planer boards too on the open water.

Netminder
11-28-2006, 11:58 PM
>Who wants to even leave the warm shanty to check tip-ups?
>Brrr!
>Plus it cuts in on your jigging time.
>
>Last year I tried thill nite brite bobber lights. They last
>about 20 hours if you keep them dry. You can see them easily
>from a long way away. Plus they work great for alerting
>traffic to yourself and your tip-up. Just glue or tape some
>rubber fishtank tubing to the end of your flag wire and your
>tip-up is ready to stick in the light. I like to place the
>tip-up in view from my shanty window so I can see it the
>instant a fish hits. If you want to have the tip-up a long
>distance away from you, it can get difficult to determine
>whether the flag (light) is up or not. In those rare cases
>I've used two lights, one on the flag wire and one on the
>base, and you can see the separation when you get a release.
>
>They work awesome on planer boards too on the open water.

My brother and I have been using the Thill lights on our offshore boards since April of 2003 and they work great. The only thing I'll add is that water does not effect them. I have submerged them in water for hours with no ill effects.

Netminder

"Learn from the mistakes of others, because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself

"http://www.walleyecentral.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=101809

Chad
11-29-2006, 10:48 AM
>Who wants to even leave the warm shanty to check tip-ups?
>Brrr!
>Plus it cuts in on your jigging time.
>
>Last year I tried thill nite brite bobber lights. They last
>about 20 hours if you keep them dry. You can see them easily
>from a long way away. Plus they work great for alerting
>traffic to yourself and your tip-up. Just glue or tape some
>rubber fishtank tubing to the end of your flag wire and your
>tip-up is ready to stick in the light. I like to place the
>tip-up in view from my shanty window so I can see it the
>instant a fish hits. If you want to have the tip-up a long
>distance away from you, it can get difficult to determine
>whether the flag (light) is up or not. In those rare cases
>I've used two lights, one on the flag wire and one on the
>base, and you can see the separation when you get a release.
>
>They work awesome on planer boards too on the open water.

That is why I use the Stike Sensor pager system. There is a sending unit on the tip up and I keep the pager with me. It beeps whn the flag goes up. No need to go outside.

ChadM

l
12-03-2006, 10:41 PM
I think red reflective tap is a little better than silver, your choice of flashlight/headlight/lantern, doesn't take much. I like the Thill lights on boards. I'm definitely going to use them on tip-ups after hearing about it - great idea.

I had some problems with the Thill light pull on-off switch but found you can just push down on the bulb and they work after that. Just bought some that twist on-off so they apparently changed the design.

I believe the Aqua-view group (is it Nature Vision?) is offering an IR signal system good to 300 ft I think - there are others.

REW
12-04-2006, 11:50 PM
There is a source out there for having the tip up dial your pager and beep you when they trip.

http://www.strikesensor.com/pages/products.iml?Product_ID=18440

If the pager goes off - go out and reel in the fish.

Take care
REW

p.s.
The pager is good for 600 feet.

DLK
12-05-2006, 06:39 PM
CALL ME CHEAP. ONLY WORKS ON BEAVERDAMs.D cell battery soder wire to neg end run wire up flag post soder flashlight bulb to other end of wire hold bulb with small hose clamp. broom holder for the d cell to sit in. to turn on, make sure when flag goes up the wire spring touches the positive end of battery works great. spray paint your chioce of color to identify. DLK.

mac
12-06-2006, 01:10 AM
Tipup that calls you pager??

If it were April 1 I wouldn't believe until I checked the site.

With all this electronics there needs to be an electronic car finder that you can attach to the frame so that when they try to find the cars that the first guys on the ice drop thru, it will be easier.

Seedtree
12-06-2006, 11:55 PM
I will second the red reflective tape attached to the tipups and an LED headlamp. My TEKA headlight is so comfortable that I often forget I have it on. I have an old-style Petzl headlamp that doesn't get used much anymore now that I went to the LED style.

Tight Lines.