: ice auger problems

jaman
01-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Last year I had a guy tune up my auger and when I went to take it out on the lake it would only go half way through the ice and that was the first time we used it in a very long time. It just didn't seem to kick into high gear. Now I just bought a diaphram and put that in there but it still really didn't seem to kick into high gear. Do u guys have any suggestions?

bladerunner
01-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Isn't there a centrifugal clutch on those?? If so, clutch could be slipping.

Hows compression?

If the engine isn't revving high enough... it could be the high jet in the carb has issues. Put a tach on the wire to see where engine rpm's are @ full throttle.

Best way to know is to remove the carb & get a rebuild kit for it. Or at least take it apart & clean it. Varnish can clog fuel passages quickly.

reader
01-16-2007, 09:42 PM
you probably checked this, but make sure the choke isn't part way on.

Box
01-17-2007, 12:06 AM
First and obvious, but make sure to use new gas. Then a little trick my neighbor a mechanic taught me - put a drop or two of oil (any oil, but I use two stroke) right into the cyclinder via the spark plug hole. That will bring compression up if it might be leaking.

After that, I am no help, sorry. Good luck,
-Box
(btw, my Jiffy that I just got - 5 years old- seems to be working fine)

thump55
01-17-2007, 08:28 AM
My older 3 horse takes a while to warm up. I start it with full choke, run for just a few seconds, then go to 1/2 choke. I usually drill 1-2 holes at half choke before opening it up. I had another Jiffy that ran better at 1/2 choke almost all the time. Assuming you already changed the plug, I would try some tiny jet adjustments, just make sure you know where the screws were set when you started. Works best if you can support the auger, get it running, use one hand to feather the throttle and adjust the jet screws with the other hand. They are a lot like a woman- you need to know what each one likes in order to get the motor running hot.

Dave S

dirty underpants
01-17-2007, 11:03 AM
The vent in the gas cap isn't closed, is it?

thunderstix
01-17-2007, 12:50 PM
start with some fresh gas and change the spark plug. If it's not better, I would bring it back to the shop and explain that you didn't have this issue prior, but you know how that goes....Good luck with it bud.

tj1n
01-17-2007, 03:37 PM
As already stated- If you have a piece of "Junk" Jiffy like the majority of other ice fishermen, including myself as I wouldn't own any other brand.

The most common causes for not kicking in to "high" gear are:
1. your not allowing the unit to warm up properly. Best to start "full choke" and let idle 15 sec. or so and then move to half choke, Cut 1-2 holes, then make sure choke is off and finish cutting all the holes you plan to fish in that area.

2. Make sure vent is open on gas cap. It will not run properly at high RPM's with it closed.

3. Beyond these two items its either compression or carb. - Jiffy's use a poor material in their "needle and seat" so often this is the cause if it's not #'s 1 or 2.

Travis J

kevlar unlogged
01-18-2007, 12:32 AM
Some people should just stick to hand augers.
I have a fifteen year old Jiffy, I carrry an extra plug in my jigging box. The only thing I own more reliable, is a Timex. Reply if you need help.

REW
01-18-2007, 02:27 AM
When you are using the auger, does it sound like the engine is running rich or lean.
In other words, if the engine starts to go down in rpm, does it seem to sag off with no added smoke or 4 cycling?

If so, you have a lean run condition.

However, if when you try to speed up the engine, you are seeing a lot of excess smoke, and it sounds like the engine is 4 cycling or hitting on every other stroke, you are likely too rich.

If you have a lean run condition, you likely have one of the following:
1. Bad Gas.
2. Incorrect oil gas mixture
3. Varnish in the carb,
4. Partially plugged filter - either on the outside or inside of the carb - depending where it is located. You may have problems with both.
5. Some other blockage in the carb, or an air leak causing a lean run condition.
6. Closed air vent on the fuel tank.

However, if your engine is running too rich, you may have the following problem:
1. Bad Gas
2. Incorrect oil gas mixture
3. Choke still on.
4. A partically plugged air inlet
5. Incorrectly operating fuel pump putting too much pressure on the carb and injecting too much fuel in the engine.

If you had the engine tuned up last year and you haven't run it since; the most likely situation is that your engine is running lean, caused by varnish or other blockage in the carb or internal carb filter.

Take care
REW

-------

Seedtree
01-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Some good ideas posted.

Based on what you said, I would expect bad gas. Drain it and refill with fresh gas.

Go for the simple stuff first.

Tight lines.

MrEyes
01-20-2007, 03:42 AM
Call Feldman Eng the makers of Jiffy 800-344-0712 (I believe it's Kevin) follow the menu and he will guide walk you threw what settings to make on your auger.
I went up to the factory about a month ago and they got my Jiffy 3HP Auger all ready for ice fishing season. The guy (Kevin I think) ran my auger on a dyno machine. He went threw how to tune up the auger and everything. My auger runs like a MAD BEAST now. Great people.

Mark

Dacotah Eye
01-23-2007, 08:41 PM
I just got my power head back from Feldman a week ago and it was tuned on the dyno also. It runs great now and it ran very well before. Now I can lay it down an the ice and it will keep running.

REW
01-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Dakota,
Did you get any information from Feldman, with respect to the problems resolved on your auger? Also, what was required to resolve the problems?
Take care
REW

REW
01-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Dakota,
Did you get any information from Feldman, with respect to the problems resolved on your auger? Also, what was required to resolve the problems?
Take care
REW

Dacotah Eye
01-24-2007, 03:50 PM
REW, My auger is a 2 hp Stealth and this is the fourth season for it. The drill has turned whenever the engine is running since the day I bought it. The dealer told me that some do this because it takes a while for the clutch to wear in. I emailed Feldman and told them that it is a safety issue and they sent me a UPS label and had me send it in. They repaired it and sent it back at their expense. The springs in the clutch drive were bent from the time it left the factory. Now it works like it should and runs great. I have no idea what kind of adjustments they made on the carburetor. I told my friend at the baitshop that if it had been bought at a big box store, they would have given me a different one with no questions. I like to support my local guy, but sometimes I wonder with something like an auger when they don't work on them. I hope I helped somewhat. :cheers:

REW
01-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Good news,
I am glad that you received good service.
Take care
REW

Dacotah Eye
01-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Dumb me. I forgot to tell you that they put in a new clutch drive. I guess they could have blown it off as out of warranty. I am impressed. :cheers:

walleyeduran
01-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Jaman, when they tuned your ice auger up was the auger left outside so the engine was cold. (winter conditions). If you bring the ice auger in a shop and let the engine temp. warm up, what the mech. tunes it to will not run properly out in the cold winter temperatures.

It seems that a person on this site doesn,t like jiffy products. "JIFFY SUCKS", gee, please tell us how you realy feel.

Nightie
02-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Remember jiffy does not build the engines.
I bought a jiffy 22 years ago and all it does it keep cutting year after year. What is nice about the jiffy was -if your blades got damaged in any way you could bring out the old file and away you again.
I bought a strikemaster Lazer last year at a wholesale price. I couldn't pass it up. That blade is unbelievable. No pressure on the unit and it cuts right through like butter. This winter on the first trip to Mille-Lacs I forgot one of the blades had a very -very small nix on it. Started to cut my holes for the house and what a mess. No way. Had to ask somebody if I could use theirs.
So remember each year-- New gas- open gas vent- prime till they leak a little, (jiffy) and remember blades or the file.

Have a great day,
Nightie

krazyjoe11
02-14-2007, 04:56 PM
how's 10 bucks sound. then it will be my problem