: Best auger for redrilling holes in shack

cbprov
10-15-2007, 07:47 AM
looking for a good auger for redrilling holes in ice house ,i know jiffy is good but heavy ,what are you using and any problems thanks

balsa
10-15-2007, 11:41 AM
strikemaster 4 blade 8 inch 2 large blades and 2 small blades. have had no problems redrilling old holes. doesn't matter how much they are froze up. strikemaster also backs their augers very well. been to the factor a couple times for fixes. fix it right on the spot a lot of times with no labor charge.

sapugh
10-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Jiffy is the best at re-drilling holes. PS Jiffy is coming out with a new auger this year. 2hp - 10" taht will weigh 3-4lbs lighter then the old ones.

bea3bri
10-15-2007, 06:11 PM
i have the strikemaster four blade 10 inch auger and have no problem drilling holes or holes that have froze shut.

Brad H
10-15-2007, 11:14 PM
If you are constantly re-drilling holes the 224 by Strike master is the way to go, great customer service as well.
http://www.strikemaster.com/lazer_224.html

mwalleye
10-19-2007, 07:13 AM
Strikemaster, strike-light 4 stroke, no smell and light to handle.

Seedtree
10-19-2007, 08:56 PM
I remember reading that the single-chipper blade found on the Strikemaster 2000 is made for this type of thing. It works for that, although I don't know if its "better". Nor do I know why this is a big deal in your auger selection.

My main thing for gas augers are: 1) that it starts; and 2) that it drills holes in the ice. The Strikemaster 2000 I have had for the last 4 years, and used intensively in rugged conditions, has not had a hickup in doing 1 and 2.

Any questions?

REW
10-31-2007, 12:34 AM
Seedtree,
Actually, the single blade chipper style strikemaster really does a very POOR job in recutting old holes.

It does very well in clean ice, but it really chatters and wobbles when it has to recut an old hole.

In contrast, the 4 blade strikemaster with the center point auger - does a wonderful job of recutting old holes.

Take care
REW

Backwater Eddy
11-03-2007, 02:14 PM
I agree with REW.

I would also add that the Jiffy STX blades, in my opinion, will do the best job of all to reopen an old hole. They meter the cut well and take the extra abuse that this practice will dish out to ice auger blades.

The Stealth Pro is a good choice in my eye.

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

"ED on the RED"

><,sUMo,>