: Plugged/ Frozen Floor Drain?

dewyg
01-07-2009, 05:12 PM
I believe my floor drain in my garage is frozen and all the h2o from the snow is backing up on the floor. i keep using the shop vac and keeping it semi clear what suggestion do you have to thaw it. I snaked it with no luck, i also bought a jug of enviromentally friendly anti freeze with no luck.

dutchboy
01-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Have you tried pouring a couple bottles of heat down the drain? The same stuff you use in your gasoline in your truck.

Morton
01-07-2009, 06:36 PM
You can purchase an in drain check valve from a plumbing store and install it to stop the back flow until spring thaw.
They are simple to install with only a screw driver and work well.
I use them in my floor drains in the basement. when not using the drains over long periods of time it will allow the traps to dry out and then sewer gas can enter.

I am not sure thawing it will help much since there must be a reason it froze in the first place.
Good Luck

Morton

Pokey Fisherman
01-07-2009, 07:58 PM
It all depends how the drain was made. Some are just a barrel with holes under the floor, some are just a pipe that runs into the gravel under floor and others are plumbed to the sump hole. I had a drain in the basement next to the furnace that plugged up from all the rusty water from a humidifier. I cut a hole around it with a cement saw and it was just a pvc pipe into the gravel, I cleaned it out and its been working for years.

stinkycat
01-07-2009, 09:22 PM
I believe my floor drain in my garage is frozen and all the h2o from the snow is backing up on the floor. i keep using the shop vac and keeping it semi clear what suggestion do you have to thaw it. I snaked it with no luck, i also bought a jug of enviromentally friendly anti freeze with no luck.

You may have to get a steamer to get it un-thawed. Had to do it a couple of years ago with an out side drain. Best to find a plumber that has one and let them take care of it. You may also try a rent all store to see if they have one to rent. Good luck.

Terroreyes
01-07-2009, 09:25 PM
If it was me, I'd try pouring a water/calcium chloride slurry down it. I thawed out about 6" of ice in my toilet in my cabin up north after sitting in the teens with that concauction.

propmann
01-07-2009, 09:50 PM
In my garage I fill the drain with water softner salt. It keeps the drain ice free all winter long. Thats whats I found thats works.

dewyg
01-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. The drain goes into the floor and drains out the back of the garage, with the end of the pipe into the rocks/gravel.

stinkycat
01-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. The drain goes into the floor and drains out the back of the garage, with the end of the pipe into the rocks/gravel.

Can you get to the end of the pipe that is in the rocks/gravel or is that froze up as well?

Da Beak
01-08-2009, 10:52 AM

Pretty much sounds like my garage. I have the same trouble. What I've found that works great is go to the local rental center and rent a water jetter. Hook the water source up to your warm (not hot) water and run the jetter through the drain. You'll get a little water backing up into the garage at first, and then it'll suddenly flush out. Work the jetter line back and forth a few times to completely clear it out.

Then as Propman said, use softener salt or potassium chloride in the drain to keep it open.

Bob

ChuckD
01-08-2009, 11:05 AM
I have the same ordeal, almost every winter. Mine froze up on me early in the season and I just live with using the shop vac to suck it out weekly. I did dig thru the deep snow a few weeks back and used a really long drill bit I have and tried to drill out a hole thru the ice on the end of the pipe. I hit slush, but it wouldn't flow. I covered the drain up with snow and figured I was done for the season...

Then, about a week later the drain cleared itself and has been working great every since.

I'm going to try the salt idea to prevent another freeze up.

I did snake an electric roof cable de-icer down the pipe once (before the winter). That worked but it only lasted 1-2 years and it was toast. Too much moisture for the cable and shorted out. Don't waste $50 like I did...

I have gone to lengths of stuffing a garden hose all the way to the ice line, sucking all the water out from pipe with the shop vac/hose combo and put some boiling water down. That didn't work well, too much work.