: Are all Goodyear Marathons made in China now?

wallytap
01-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Trying to find marathons not made in China.

Jimmy Jig
01-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Mine were made in New Zeland

JerryA
01-27-2009, 09:44 AM
This past fall, tooling down I75 on the way home from Lake Erie, I lost the entire tread off a GY Marathon - of course, it took the fender off and scuffed up the side of the boat. But, at least, the tire never went flat. It was only 3 years old and was made in New Zealand. I know the inflation was right and the tire didn't show any wear or checkering. Now, this is not supposed to happen with GYM's right. I suspect UV damage.

I had purchased the tire from Sam's and they agreed to replace it under their road hazard insurance coverage. I told them I didn't want a China-bomb. They checked with the GY distribution center and they said the China tires were all they were shipping now. It also took Sam's 6 weeks to get the tire as they were out of stock.

Don't know if that's the case or not but I've got a China-bomb as a spare now. Other distribution centers may get tires made elsewhere. Or these tires maybe older tires that were made in NZ or Canada. I don't think the Marathons were ever made, at least recently, in the USA.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

yarcraft91
01-27-2009, 11:15 AM
All the information I have found says that all Goodyear Marathons are now made in China, with 2 possible exceptions, those being sizes 215/75R14 and 205/75R15, which TireRack.com lists as being from Canada and New Zealand, respectively. The two sizes of Marathons I own today, both made in New Zealand, are listed at TireRack as now made in China. There's no knowing how old those tires are at TireRack, but my past purchases from them have been very recent production. IIRC, Tire Rack will not let you specify country-of-origin exclusions on an order or accept that as a reason to return tires. It would be interesting to see what you could learn over the phone.

I could not find country-of-origin on the Goodyear site. I will be buying new trailer tires in 2 years- wonder what they will be?

Andre (wallyandre)
01-28-2009, 06:02 AM
When we see all the problems related to trailer tires apart the fact those made in China are link with quality control maybe there is some other reasons:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerindex?id=4826897

http://www.safetyresearch.net/tires.htm

2Labs
01-28-2009, 06:46 AM
When we see all the problems related to trailer tires aprt the fact those made in China are link with quality control maybe there is some other reasons:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerindex?id=4826897

http://www.safetyresearch.net/tires.htm

Thanks for the input, Andre. That is scary stuff. I will check my tire age now ... and never even thought about doing it before. I am about to replace tires on one vehicle and could very well have bought old stuff.

Hombre Robusto
01-31-2009, 11:07 AM
I had Chinese marathons under my Lund for three seasons. I always traveled above the speed limit by a few MPH, and kept the tires properly inflated (only had to add a lb or two once a season).

I never had a single problem with mine, and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

before the marathons, I had dozens of Carlisle tires under my boat and utility trailers, as well as multiple tag along campers. I never had a single problem with them, either.

Maybe all these people having tire trouble with the above mentioned manufacturers aren't taking care of their tires properly.

Soo Guy
02-04-2009, 12:27 PM
I have had good luck with the Goodyear Marathon (Canada) for several years. Due to age I will be replacing soon (215/75R14). Talked to a Goodyear dealer that has several regional stores and he said they could only get the China made GYM tires. The GY dealer said they can get Titan trailer tires in this size or the Towmaster. I don't know anything about Titan trailer tires or the Towmaster. I would like to get Maxxis tires but nearest dealer is over 100 miles away and haven't been able to find a web site that sells them direct. Trying to figure out what to do.
Soo Guy

JerryA
02-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Hombre, me thinks you are one lucky hombre.

Dave34
02-10-2009, 03:47 PM
All the information I have found says that all Goodyear Marathons are now made in China, with 2 possible exceptions, those being sizes 215/75R14 and 205/75R15, which TireRack.com lists as being from Canada and New Zealand, respectively. The two sizes of Marathons I own today, both made in New Zealand, are listed at TireRack as now made in China. There's no knowing how old those tires are at TireRack, but my past purchases from them have been very recent production. IIRC, Tire Rack will not let you specify country-of-origin exclusions on an order or accept that as a reason to return tires. It would be interesting to see what you could learn over the phone.

I could not find country-of-origin on the Goodyear site. I will be buying new trailer tires in 2 years- wonder what they will be?

I've learned that it's critical to select the proper load range tire for your application. For example, I have an 1850 Reata that calls for load range 'D'. Ranger did have a few Reatas in earlier production models that were shipped with load range 'C' tires that they changed out. Make certain that you know the total weight of your boat, trailer, and contents when considering which load range to select.

FisHn2DMax
02-11-2009, 11:20 PM
I used GY marathons for years on various trailers with never a problem...until I ran "new"china made marathons..... Boom off goes the tire tread with less than 1000 miles on it. No more marathons for me as long as they're made in China.

So in my search for a safe reliable ST trailer tire, I researched many internet boat and RV user forums. Maxxis quickly emerged as the most reliable trailer ST tire. I swapped my boat and 5'er tires to Maxxis and no problems so far. They can be purchased direct from Maxxis.com or from any local tire dealer that is willing to order them in for you. Many tire dealers are beginning to carry Maxxis ST tires and/ or willing to order them for you. The other ST tire that I hear good things about is the Tow Max tire that is made in Canada ( not the ones made in china). I have a set of towmax (canada) ST tires on my ATV/ Snowmobile trailer with no problem.

What ever you do, verify the new tire date code on the side of the tires before allowing the dealer to install so called "new tire". Also, it's also a good idea to change your ST tires every 5-6 years regardless of tread depth. Where possible, upgrade the load range when buying new tires. If you have C load range, upgrade to D, but make sure your rims and valve stems are rated for the higher air pressures used for the higher load range tires or you'll just be swapping one potential problem for another.

cudfhef
05-16-2010, 02:57 AM
So far I haven't found marathons not made in China.

W.W.
05-16-2010, 06:16 PM
I've had good luck with the "Towmaster" brand under my boat and around the farm; I bought them from a local farm supply store just because that is what they had on hand.

Very important to know your load rating needed and to keep them inflated properly.

I usually go 1 load rating above what I think I need on trailer tires.

When ordering a new trailer I order the largest diameter tire/rim I can get; even if I must pay more and special order it that way.

Larger diameter tire spins slower at speed than a smaller one; I think I get better tire and bearing wear.....

Hopefully my "luck" will hold.

W.W. in Iowa

PRD1
05-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Unfortunately all Marathon tires are now made in China! I was curious so sent an E Mail to Goodyear in Akron and received the reply pasted below. There must be a few around from prior inventory made in New Zealand, Canada or elsewhere based on other posts.

I expressed my disappointment in their decision and noted there were many fishermen and other Marathon users who felt as I do and would be looking elsewhere for their tires. You may want to give them your opinion as well. Just go to the Goodyear Tire web page scroll down to the bottom and click "Contact Us" and proceed from there.

http://goodyeartires.com

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East
Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Thank you for contacting our web site and for thinking of Goodyear for your
replacement tire needs.

Goodyear is the only major US owned and operated tire manufacturer and our
world headquarters are located in Akron, Ohio

We are a global corporation with manufacturing plants throughout the
world.

However, the vast majority of Goodyear tires sold in the US are
manufactured in our North America tire plants.

The Marathon trailer tires are now being manufactured in our plant in
China.

Regards,
Teresa G
Consumer Relations

T Mac
05-25-2010, 03:57 PM
I think they have been made in China for several years.
Still the best trailer tire I have been around, so far.
Maxxis haven't been fool proof, either.
I popped one of those with less than 300 miles on the trailer.

2Labs
05-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Unfortunately all Marathon tires are now made in China! I was curious so sent an E Mail to Goodyear in Akron and received the reply pasted below. There must be a few around from prior inventory made in New Zealand, Canada or elsewhere based on other posts.

I expressed my disappointment in their decision and noted there were many fishermen and other Marathon users who felt as I do and would be looking elsewhere for their tires. You may want to give them your opinion as well. Just go to the Goodyear Tire web page scroll down to the bottom and click "Contact Us" and proceed from there.

replacement tire needs.

world.

China.

Regards,
Teresa G
Consumer Relations

I don't understand. According to this thread on this very site

http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166696

that isn't the case. If you look at "specs" under the Goodyear Marathons it said only one case of the size 13" tires were made in China. Is that old news that is no longer accurate??? There IS a disclaimer that country of origin may not always be accurate under their site.

RATS. I was going to by a set of Marathons next week for my trailer.

2Labs
05-27-2010, 02:48 PM

replacement tire needs.

world.

China.

Regards,
Teresa G
Consumer Relations

PRD1, I think the woman who e-mailed you was mistaken.

I just talked to my Goodyear dealer who said he was told last month that the Marathons are made in the USA or in Canada. After he said that, I bought a pair this afternoon. Demounting my old Carlisle (kept as my spare), mounting a new Marathon on that rim, and mounting a second Marathon on a new rim I bought so I could hang a second spare on my trailer port side took less than 30 minutes.

My 2 brand new ST215/75R14 tires indicate as follows -- one was made in week 16 of 2010 and one was made in week 17 of 2010 and BOTH say "Made in the USA" on them.

You might let Terese G know that her information is incorrect.

PRD1
06-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the input, I will copy this and forward as you suggest, hopefully she was wrong!

I just got back from a week in Canada so did not see this until today.

Paul

REW
06-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Why do you care?
Tires are tires are tires.
Some are good, some are fair, and some are poor.
It really doesn't matter the country of manufacture.
Virtually all of the assembly plants use the same manufacturing process.

Rather than worry about Marathon tires, simply weigh your trailer with a full load in the trailer, including a full load of fuel, and typical loads as if you were going on a trip.

Take the weight and divide by the number of tires on the trailer.

Now take this weight and multiply by .2 which will give you the necessary 20% safety margin.
Add this amount to the first weight.

With this weight figure in hand, simply go out and buy a tire - with a sidewall rating of at least this weight or greater.

You hear about ST tires, auto tires, truck tires, and equipment tires.

The really important thing is the load rating on the tire.

If you load rating is up to snuff - you will be fine.

Then, just go buy the cheapest tire with this load rating and get on with things.

Take care
REW

PRD1
06-02-2010, 02:12 PM
I just don't like stuff made in China regardless of what it is. I ended up taking a new Milwaukee circular saw back a few years ago once I discovered it's place of manufacture. They guy was surprised, thankfully then I could go to another store that still had USA made Milwaukee tools so I got it there. Now I am with Dewalt since at least they are made in Mexico. If that goes to China guess I will just need to go to garage sales for my tools.

Paul

angler53
06-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I pulled into the ramp this afternoon. Got out to ready the boat and "BOOM" the starboard tire blew up. Three years old, Garage kept with maybe 10,000 miles on them. Not a Marathon St to be found. Nobody wanted to order them either. Everybody said the same thing; tire no good.
The only thing I could find today was Tow-max Load-King.
My question is what pressure is recommended? I run 65psi in the Marathon as recommended by Ranger.
Tire store said not to exceed 45psi in the Tow-max. This tire is max rated at 65psi like the marathon. It seemed to pull well with 45psi so I guess it'll be ok.
Any comment?

yarcraft91
06-04-2010, 05:07 PM
I pulled into the ramp this afternoon. Got out to ready the boat and "BOOM" the starboard tire blew up. Three years old, Garage kept with maybe 10,000 miles on them. Not a Marathon St to be found. Nobody wanted to order them either. Everybody said the same thing; tire no good.
The only thing I could find today was Tow-max Load-King.
My question is what pressure is recommended? I run 65psi in the Marathon as recommended by Ranger.
Tire store said not to exceed 45psi in the Tow-max. This tire is max rated at 65psi like the marathon. It seemed to pull well with 45psi so I guess it'll be ok.
Any comment?

If the tire sidewall says the load rating is at 65 psi, then you bought a tire from clueless people. Believe the sidewall, not the saleman. If you want the rated capacity of the tire, inflate it to 65 psi.

angler53
06-04-2010, 05:10 PM
If the tire sidewall says the load rating is at 65 psi, then you bought a tire from clueless people. Believe the sidewall, not the saleman. If you want the rated capacity of the tire, inflate it to 65 psi.

Sounds completely logical to me.
Thank you

REW
06-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Wally,
Don't get hung up on country of manufacture any more.
Virtually all products that are bought in the world today are made in manufacturing plants and assembly plants that are scattered around the world.

Any plant is capable of making excellent, mediium and poor products.

Just be aware and move on.

Today we will buy a spoon from Austria, a fork from Iran and a Knife from Brazil.

They all do the job just fine.

This is an international world. Lets hop on the train and enjoy the ride.

REW

ManikBhai
10-26-2010, 02:01 PM
But i have found marathons made in China and the name of supplier Chinabuye

whofan
11-11-2010, 07:53 PM
I just don't like stuff made in China regardless of what it is. I ended up taking a new Milwaukee circular saw back a few years ago once I discovered it's place of manufacture. They guy was surprised, thankfully then I could go to another store that still had USA made Milwaukee tools so I got it there. Now I am with Dewalt since at least they are made in Mexico. If that goes to China guess I will just need to go to garage sales for my tools.

Paul

Milwaulkee, Ridgit and Ryobi are all owned by the same parent company from Hong Kong.
http://www.ttigroup.com/en/our_company

Porter Cable, Dewalt, Delta, Black and Decker are owned by the Stanley/ Black&Deker company I think still USA owned.
http://www.stanleyblackanddecker.com/

Skill, Bosch is European owned.
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGdUYHq9xMFh0AtItXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1azV0anU 4BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA1NNRTAxM18xN jQ-/SIG=11lqivo2a/EXP=1289616519/**http%3a//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skil

Sorry for the rant. We need to keep the assets we have left. Most of all the beer we drink is foreign owned.
The day will come when we can`t afford to go fishing!

rebs
11-12-2010, 05:18 AM
what is going on ? In this day and age of technology we are having a difficult time finding a simple trailer tire ?

TJEli
11-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Do you know that over 97% of Jayco Trailers have Marathons on them? We almost never have a problem with them. This is after thousands of miles on trailers that weigh MUCH more than your average boat. This holds true for USA and China made Marathons. We see far more failures on other manufacturers trailers that use "whatever is on sale this week" tires.

Everyone has an opinion based on their personal experiences. Take them for what they are.

-Eli

shorthairsrus
11-16-2010, 09:03 PM
With all the technology today - we cant build a tire cheaper in the states vs. having one shipped all the way from china. Something wrong with that picture.

rebs
11-17-2010, 06:25 AM
With all the technology today - we cant build a tire cheaper in the states vs. having one shipped all the way from china. Something wrong with that picture.

its the same with most anything, the steel mills closed down because they can make steel and ship it from China cheaper also.

Javelin360
12-07-2010, 01:39 PM
its the same with most anything, the steel mills closed down because they can make steel and ship it from China cheaper also.

I will note that the Governments of both Japan and China subsidize there steel industries. It is no where near a level playing field! I worked for a Japanese cold forming company for 11 years and it is amazing how much there government helps this industry.