: Alumacraft hull warranty not transferrable - issue?

D Braswell
03-09-2009, 08:43 PM
I've been considering ordering an Alumacraft Nav 175 tiller, but discovered today that while the Alumacraft hull warranty is very good at 20 years with no proration (on 2XB hulls), it is NOT transferrable to a 2nd owner. I'm curious as to whether anyone has ever found this to be an issue to potential buyers when selling an Alumacraft.

prior owner
03-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I owned an Alumacraft T-Pro I bought used (1 year old) and I was aware of that. It didn't effect my decision to buy. I did end up needing some repairs to the sidewall (rod locker rivets) and console repair at the factory when the boat was 5 years old, and they went above and beyond to make the repairs without raising a stink on warranty issues, and they covered it all. Great customer service at the time, and I've heard similar reports from consumers.

Phil T
03-10-2009, 11:09 AM
If the boat is what you want, why worry about resale? I've had my Alumacraft Trophy 175 since 1984. No, it doesn't leak, and I now have the boat set up the way I want it.

J-Man
03-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Bought my Alumacraft TP 185 3 years ago without hesitation. The 2xb hull is great and I thought it was more important knowing where the boat came from and how it was taken care of. I would suggest that is THE most important thing when buying/selling a used boat, no matter what the brand.

Good luck.

Lundexp
03-10-2009, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't worry about that at all. Most people don't even consider that at all in the first place when shopping. Just get what you want and people will buy it from you when you decide to sell it when they see it has the set up they want

Don J
03-11-2009, 07:25 PM
My past experiences with Alumacraft has been excellent.
I would not hesitate to buy a used Alumacraft without a warranty.

Don J

bigwalleyeguy1
03-11-2009, 09:08 PM
I doubt that is a huge concern. I can personally recommend the boat. It is great for fishing, comfortable and roomy. It is a lead sled to pull though and pretty slow on the water. I would max it out for sure. My only complaint is I run max of 38-39 mph on my 175 nav sport with a 140 suzi on the back. Tried lots of props and hole changes...just a very wide heavy slow boat.

T Mac
03-12-2009, 04:16 PM
They don't?
Why not? ( I am surprised.)
Some of their aluminum competitors do.

broken jaw
03-13-2009, 06:46 AM
Yes some companies do offer a transferable warrany. however the transferable warranty does have a cost to the consumer up front and the warrany coverage is dramatically changed. for example as I understand it, Lund charges a fee to transfer the warranty, then the limited lifetime warranty(which covers only the seams anyway) is off the table and the warranty goes to a 10 year Pro rated warranty. so if you purchase a 5 year old boat you have only 5 years warranty left and it is pro rated. which measn that at 5 years the consumer would pay 30% of the warranty repair, 4 years left the consumer pays 40%, 3 years left yhe consumer pays 50% etc...

Vtec1
03-13-2009, 07:38 AM
I looked into getting a transferable warranty on my used Lund and quickly determined it was a waste of time and money. Close to useless coverage as stated above and kind of false advertising because it's a very limited lifetime. Lund has a reputation of having a good sturdy hull so I guess that's my warranty. It's just one tool manufacturers use to entice someone to buy a brand new product. And because so few of us keep anything long term they seldom will be obligated to repair anything older than say 10 years. You save lots of money buying used but it could come back to bite hard with a boat. Any maker of boats who wants to increase sales could easily use a great transferable warranty to do it if their hulls are that good.

bob1
03-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Ranger covers a 2nd owner for 10 years from the original owner's purchase date. Also, there is a $100.00 transfer fee to do so and must be done in the first 15 days after purchase. This is not, according to their web-site, transferable to the 3rd owner of the boat.

T Mac
03-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Yes some companies do offer a transferable warrany. however the transferable warranty does have a cost to the consumer up front and the warrany coverage is dramatically changed. for example as I understand it, Lund charges a fee to transfer the warranty, then the limited lifetime warranty(which covers only the seams anyway) is off the table and the warranty goes to a 10 year Pro rated warranty. so if you purchase a 5 year old boat you have only 5 years warranty left and it is pro rated. which measn that at 5 years the consumer would pay 30% of the warranty repair, 4 years left the consumer pays 40%, 3 years left yhe consumer pays 50% etc...

Well...yeah ...all the boats I know of with transferable warranty have charges for the transfer work and if "lifetime" is in the warranty, then that gets changed, of course.
For example...the cost for Lund (as I recall) is $100. and you don't have to buy it if you don't want to. I think Ranger was $100 when I sold them.
But gosh, on a year or two old boat, it might be a pretty attractive option for the potential buyer...don't you think? On a Lund for example, as you said, you get all of the remaining (non-lifetime part) warranty.

The thing is - - it shows these boat companies who offer a transferrable warranty have a lot of confidence in the product over the long haul.

I repeat... I am surprised AlumaCraft doesn't offer this.

How about Crestliner? Or others?
How does theirs work?

PTocko
03-15-2009, 09:02 AM
I bought a used (2003 Navigator 165 T) and it was a consideration but not a huge factor. I actually called alumacraft about it and they gave me very common sense answer (which I appreciated) - if the boat hasn't been abused and it is a manufacturing defect - we will fix it (they also said it is very easy to spot a boat that has been abused). I was buying from a dealer and they sold the boat to the original owner - they knew the boat well and they also said they would stand behind the boat. Now I know those are just words but they "make sense". In end I trust Alumacraft (and the dealer). Paul

2Labs
03-15-2009, 11:32 AM
I bought a used (2003 Navigator 165 T) and it was a consideration but not a huge factor. I actually called alumacraft about it and they gave me very common sense answer (which I appreciated) - if the boat hasn't been abused and it is a manufacturing defect - we will fix it (they also said it is very easy to spot a boat that has been abused). I was buying from a dealer and they sold the boat to the original owner - they knew the boat well and they also said they would stand behind the boat. Now I know those are just words but they "make sense". In end I trust Alumacraft (and the dealer). Paul

I don't know if the Alumacraft warranty has changed recently or was always only for the "original owner".

But, I know in 2003 when I sold my 1997 Alumacraft Magnum 165 (which I bought new in 1997), it was not an issue. Of course, I take care of my boats and sold it to a friend who never even asked about a warranty -- he knew the boat was in good shape.

Also, my dealer referred a customer looking for a good used boat to me just 1 day after that sale (I was a very good customer of that dealer and the dealer had no used boat available to sell). That customer called me directly, was interested in the boat sight unseen, was disappointed to hear I had sold the boat, and never asked about warranty transfer.

I am considering selling my 2003 Lund. I have already had 2 parties contact me -- one who barely knew me but heard about my boat from a mutual acquaintance. Neither have asked about a warranty.

So, based on my experiences, I would say 2nd owner warranty might be an issue in some instances, but has not been with me.