: trailer tire wobble?

colt100
05-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Had my boat out for the first time this year the other day. when I was driving to the lake, I'm not sure if it was me or not but it looked like one of my trailer tires seemed to be wobbleing slightly in and out, like maybe something was bent. I never noticed this before. I haven't hit anything and it may just be me but it sure looked like there was a slight in and out movement of the tire. Lug nuts are on tight and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Trailer towed, loaded and unloaded fine.

Is this me or is there something possibly wrong?

Hot Runr Guy
05-08-2009, 03:00 PM
It could be a number of things, from a loose or bad bearing, to a bent wheel, to a tire starting to de-laminate (ply separation) internally. I'd jack it up, spin the wheel, see if there is a bearing wobble, and closely inspect the tire.
HRG

colt100
05-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I did make sure that the tires are inflated to just below max. I did this about a week ago and they were low from sitting all winter. It's the tires 4th year and I was planning on replacing at the beginning of next season.

rpieske
05-10-2009, 09:42 AM
I just went through this same thing this winter in Florida. You probably have broken belts in your tire. Look at your tire carefully and you may actually see a slight bend in the tread.

colt100
05-10-2009, 01:01 PM
when I get a chance, I'm going to put the spare on and see if I notice any more wobble.

Smitty
05-11-2009, 10:59 AM
As HRG suggested, the first step is to jack up the trailer and check the wheel for side to side wobble (loose or bad bearing) and then give it a spin to see if you can tell what is wobbling (entire wheel and tire, wheel rotates fine but tire wobbles, etc). I seriously doubt you'd bend an axle/spindle without knowing it.

colt100
05-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Well, finally got a chance to jack up my trailer this morning. I spun the wheel that appeared to be wobbeling. The wheel spun fine, there didn't seem to be much in and out movement when I moved the wheel back and forth. I'm not sure if there should be some, none, or a little. If there was some, it was very small.

It did appear that the tire, when spun, was going in and out. I'm not sure if it was the way the tread was manufactured on the tire and it appears that it is wobbeling when it is not (if that made sence) or if it is something else. I did notice that the tire did appear to have some bumps in the tread, kind of like there was an egg hidden under the tread, although not that high, I could see a profound bump when the tire was rotated. From reading the responses, I'm assuming that this is the wires inside the tire breaking?

I switched that tire out with my spare (never used) and spun the spare. The spare didn't seem to wobble as much as the other tire but it did seem that either the tread is not concentric or something is allowing the tire to move back and forth slightly. However, it wasn't as noticable with the spare.

I tried the other side just to see and found that the other side didn't spin anywhere near as freely as the side with the wobble. I was surprised with this and I'm not sure if that means that a bearing is going out? When spinning the one side, the tire just kept spinning freely for several seconds. The other side, when spun, would rotate 2-3 times and basically stop, almost like there was a slight breaking action on that side. My trailer doesn't have breaks BTW.

The other side tire did have a more profound bump in the tread then the one that wobbled and the other side tire also appeared to be wobbeling, again not sure if it just appearded that way because of the tread. I couldn't tell if the rim itself was moving.

I have some family coming up to do some fishing in about 3 weeks so if I have a problem, I want to get it fixed before they come up. I'm thinking of taking my trailer into the dealer and letting them check it out and may just do that. If I do, I'm going to have them re-pack the bearings and swap out the tires as I was going to do this at the end of the season anyway. I have heard too many bad things about the carslie tires to want to trust them anymore.

Might have to buy some of the maxxis tires as I keep hearing good things from them.

Any and all imput welcome.

perchjerker
05-17-2009, 11:38 AM
sounds like the tire to me. It should spin perfecty true. If it looks like its out of round now just think what its doing at 60 mph.

get it checked out

reelxtc
05-17-2009, 12:24 PM
I would get new tires before you tow the boat again.

You were lucky to see the wobble before you had a blowout!

REW
05-18-2009, 09:43 PM
I am guessing that everything is all right.
I suspect that you have had wobble all along but never noticed it before.
Trailer wheels are not made to the same standard as auto wheels.
Many trailer wheels that are put on trailers have a significant wobble - even without any tires on them.

Jack up your trailer, and put a stand - so that you can put a feeler - screwdriver, bar or other so that it just touches the WHEEL - not the tire at some location.
Then, rotate the tire. I suspect that you are going to find that there is some wobble in the wheel.
If you don't find wobble in the wheel, then move the feeling stick to the tire tread and rotate the wheel / tire again. If you now get severe wobble - the issue is a bad tire or possibly a tire that is coming apart.

Take care
REW

colt100
05-19-2009, 04:35 PM
I was planning on replaceing the tires this year anyway so I ended up just ordering new tires and will have the dealer check everything out when it's in for the tires. I would rather be sure. Breakdowns on the highway are no fun, espically when the fish are biting.

Thanks for the responses.