: Trailer running lights don't work

woods
05-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Just got my boat out of storage, and the signal lights and brake lights work fine, but the running lights don't come on at all. It doesn't look like anything is corroded, and it is hard to believe that part of the bulb burned out in each one. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I should do?

perchjerker
05-15-2009, 04:16 PM
check the fuses in your tow vehicle. You may have a seperate one for trailer running lights

woods
05-16-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks, never thought of that! Would be an easy fix!

jaybe
05-16-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm thinking that there is one wire for running lights, one for brakes and one for each turn signal. Checking the fuse is a good idea, but then I would start with the assumption that either the wire is broken/disconnected or a connector is dirty/corroded. Wish I could remember which color wire was which - sorry.

Edit - Found it.
Right turn - Green
Left turn - Yellow
Ground - white
Tail/Markers - Brown
If electric brakes - Blue

Check the brown wire - it is your tail lights and markers. It may be wired in series, meaning that if it is broken anywhere, everything past that point will not work. Sometimes they are connected with wire nuts, which can also be broken or loose.

Don't forget that the problem might be on your tow vehicle. The wire could have gotten pulled loose/broken over the winter.

Good Luck

Bigfishhunter
05-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Check your ground, I know it sounds funny cause the other ones are going, but I had the same issue. I cleaned off my ground wires and made sure they were on bare metal and that fixed the problem.

perchjerker
05-16-2009, 05:05 PM
the reason I suggested check the fuses is that its the easiest thing.

start with the simple stuff first

FinsNFeet
05-16-2009, 08:24 PM
All the above suggestions are great places to start. If that doesn't work before you go and rip wires out check your plug. I had the same problem and the plug adapter that I need to use on my dodge two of the contact points were all oxidized up. Scratched them up a bit and let there be light. :huh:

stiker
05-16-2009, 10:32 PM
All the above suggestions are great places to start. If that doesn't work before you go and rip wires out check your plug. I had the same problem and the plug adapter that I need to use on my dodge two of the contact points were all oxidized up. Scratched them up a bit and let there be light. :huh:

I once had a problem with lights not working and found inside the trailer frame where the wire had rubbed against the metal had causing the incelation to wear off which caused the lights to short out.

Stripehunter
05-17-2009, 10:01 AM

Ditto. Clean both sides of the trailer plug first. Then start checking grounds and wire continuity.

woods
05-18-2009, 05:37 PM
I tried everyone's suggestions, and finally got the lights to come on if I wiggeled the plug into my Yukon enough. Went down and bought a new plug in, and everything works great! Thanks for everyone's help.

Mark Komo
05-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Great suggestions. I am running through the same thing now. I got an 3 foot 4 flat extension. So, I disconnected it and ran right to the dodge and no dice. Then changed to my spare plug and no dice. There may be a separate fues for trailer running lights? I figured if truck lights are good, then fuse is good.

Gonna check ground and bulbs. Like said earlier. Brake and turnsignal ok. running lights in back, as well as side marker lights not working. Get this. They worked fine a few weeks ago.

Shep
05-19-2009, 09:55 AM
There is a separate fuse for trailer running lights on Fords. Pretty sure on GM's and Dodge, too. I'll check and report back.

AllenW
05-19-2009, 10:18 AM
I tried everyone's suggestions, and finally got the lights to come on if I wiggeled the plug into my Yukon enough. Went down and bought a new plug in, and everything works great! Thanks for everyone's help.

Happens to me on occasion, I found some of the automotive electrical sprays work well to keep the contacts from corroding, also plugging and unplugging the plug several times sometimes cleans the contacts.

Al

perchjerker
05-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Great suggestions. I am running through the same thing now. I got an 3 foot 4 flat extension. So, I disconnected it and ran right to the dodge and no dice. Then changed to my spare plug and no dice. There may be a separate fues for trailer running lights? I figured if truck lights are good, then fuse is good.

Gonna check ground and bulbs. Like said earlier. Brake and turnsignal ok. running lights in back, as well as side marker lights not working. Get this. They worked fine a few weeks ago.

first thing I mentioned in this thread was check the fuses. My Ford has seperate fuses for the trailer, seperate fuses for each brake light, etc

check the fuses!!!!

Mark Komo
05-19-2009, 02:48 PM
You know, you guys are spot on. And PJ you were right on. On the dodge, its fuse #33. 20A, blown. Back in the game.

FYI, if you truck comes with a towing package, chances are there are fuses.

perchjerker
05-19-2009, 03:03 PM
You know, you guys are spot on. And PJ you were right on. On the dodge, its fuse #33. 20A, blown. Back in the game.

good!!! glad to hear you are legal again...

now return the favor and find the spoon box I just lost by leaving on the back of my boat!!! Every fuggin walleye spoon I own (well over 100) are gone!!!

woods
05-19-2009, 03:19 PM
I looked for the fuse for trailer tail lights in my Yukon, and couldn't believe there were about 100 fuses in the thing, but couldn't find one labeled tail lights!

Mark Komo
05-19-2009, 06:19 PM
YIKES...thats a lot of metal. Man, sorry for your loss. But hey, you got some good karma now.

it was labeled pretty clearly on the inside of the fuse box. And guess what, first time I ever opened the fuse box. Was checking under the dash and seats. Finally checked under the hood. First blown fuse in 7 years!(2002 ram)

Shep
05-20-2009, 03:03 PM
I looked for the fuse for trailer tail lights in my Yukon, and couldn't believe there were about 100 fuses in the thing, but couldn't find one labeled tail lights!

There should be a chart in your owner's manual. Look for "Trailer Lights" Trailer Brake" Trailer Left or Right Blinker"

Did a search for you Komo, but couldn't come up with the fuse box legend.

Sheri
09-12-2010, 10:36 PM
I have a hitch on my Ford Escape that was installed by U-haul. My running lights were not working the last time I took the trailer out (they worked before), but it was daylight, so I took it camping anyway. When I hooked up again, nothing worked. I replaced the fuse on the U-Haul electric system, the running lights still did not work. Since I replaced the fuse, what could be causing the running lights to not work? The signals and brake lights still work. Thanks.

wiredog
09-22-2010, 08:01 PM

What do you think caused the fuss to blow?? Maybe you should carry a bunch of fuses with you until you find the problem. And its just my luck some one dumped a bunch of walleye spoons on the road and i run over them and blew out all four tires on my truck!! Sure would like to get my hands on that guy. Oh well at least i got a lot of spoons for my troubles, must be over a 100 of them!! Wiredog

CEGE40
09-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Right brake light doesn't work. If we have the 4 ways on then the brake light will make it go on and off. had the cover off the light bulb seemed fine. Used it a few days a go and it was fine.

cmastr48
05-13-2011, 06:26 AM
Same problem, no running lights but everything else worked. My tail lights were suspended out from the trailer on 2X4s, hence they were not grounded. I ran a wire from the bolt on the light fastener to the trailer and that fixed the problem.

rrodes
09-19-2011, 08:44 AM
Had same problem last night. Pulled out of lake, everything works, ate dinner, running light don't work and the others do. GMC dealer says nothing is wrong. I am starting with the suggestions, brown wire, electrical spray, steel wool the connectors, etc. Fun driving at night with no lights.

REW
09-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Woods,
Whenever you have a lighting issue with your trailer, take the trailer off of your tow vehicle and have it standing by itself.

Then, use a separate battery and a couple of jumper wires to check each lighting circuit for correct operation, by using the jumper wires to the appropriate trailer connection.

A good way to do this is with a spare vehicle side traile connection.

Plug the spare connector into your trailer and you now have the 4 wires looking at you.

Connect the ground from your battery to the white wire, and then one by one, go through the three other wire connections with the other battery wire.
White and brown will give you tail and running lights.

White and green will give you one side of the trailer lights brake and trailer bulb.

White and yellow will give you the other sideof the trailer lights brake and trailer bulb.

Then, if you find that one of the three circuits are defective, you can begin probing and checking on the appropriate wire, connection, or bulb, or bulb assembly to find the issue.

If - on the other hand - you find that your trailer lights all work just fine with the stand a lone battery and connector to your trailer, but have issues with the vehicle, then you need to look at the vehicle problems to get to the cause of the problem.

Take care
REW