: re-using cooking oil

vetspet.ind
07-23-2009, 08:17 AM
i have a deep frying pot that i cooked up a batch of perch using 1/2 gal of canola oil....most of the oil was very good looking after the cook out so i filtered it thru cheesecloth and stored the oil in fridge....it looks clear still...how long will that oil stay good if i decide to deep fry with that fryer in the future...thanks..steve...what do you guys who fry a turkey do with all that oil...will it keep indefiinitely?...thanks

AllenW
07-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Been my expreince that if there are still food stuff in the oil they will/may go bad before the oil does, also 4-6 months is max if I remember my cooking class waaaay back, keep covered and in a refrigerator also.

Not worth the problems that can come from from spoiled oil imho so if in doubt don't use it.

Al

perchjerker
07-23-2009, 08:51 AM
I get rid of it, I know some reuse it

my fish is worth new oil!!!

Suzuki
07-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I always put the fryer away with oil then give it the ole sniff test next time I use it. Usually it fails since I seldon use the deep fryer. If it doesnt smell bad I use it.

perchjerker
07-23-2009, 10:55 AM
I always put the fryer away with oil then give it the ole sniff test next time I use it. Usually it fails since I seldon use the deep fryer. If it doesnt smell bad I use it.

yuck lol

Hombre Robusto
07-23-2009, 12:09 PM
I re-use my fish frying oil (canola) all the time. Let it cool, strain it, and put it in the fridge in the original container. It will last for months. I usually get 6-8 uses out of it before it starts turning dark. I'm sure I could get more uses out of it, but the smaller breading particles that pass through the strainer get burnt, and give the oil an odd smell. Not a rancid smell, but a burnt smell.

hawg
07-23-2009, 12:10 PM
The oil will keep indefinatly but why would you want to keep it 6 months or more? If it smells good it will not put bad taste in your food. Nothing can survive 375 degrees of heat. Buy the cheapest vegetable oil and toss it out every couple times. Actually the Crisco/lard, part animal-part vegetable oil will taste the best but will only last about 1/2 as long. Remember how good Mac Donalds fries USED to taste? Thats why.

InTheNet
07-23-2009, 01:27 PM
I put mine in the freezer. I have used it for a year after first use. I do not fry very often.

SS-Slayer
07-23-2009, 03:23 PM
If the oil is still good...use must not have caught that many perch the other day!!!

kinda catchy
07-23-2009, 06:14 PM
After frying Turkey I always pitch the oil. Some save it but I don't take the chance. It is always black and looks nasty.
I have reused oil from fish frys, however I fry less now than ever for health reason and normally pitch the oil after fish frys.
I figure at $500.00 a lb for Walleye new oil is the best route.

mac
07-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Go to the paint store and get a paint strainer. It has a finer mesh. Put in a funnel for support. Also, get one of those three piece fish dusters that let ALL the stuff that doesn't stick to the fish drop into a different section and not be added to the oil. Peanut oil is expensive, but if you use a thermometer in oil, you can keep from overheating and burning it.

perchjerker
07-25-2009, 07:32 AM
Go to the paint store and get a paint strainer. It has a finer mesh. Put in a funnel for support. Also, get one of those three piece fish dusters that let ALL the stuff that doesn't stick to the fish drop into a different section and not be added to the oil. Peanut oil is expensive, but if you use a thermometer in oil, you can keep from overheating and burning it.

fish duster?

do you have a like to that? would be interested in that

rebs
07-25-2009, 08:40 AM
what do you guys think about peanut oil in the deep fryer ?

GBS
07-25-2009, 08:44 AM
I've managed restaurants and mega-University dining venues so have picked up a bit about reuse of foods. With oils, if treated gently, you can get several months of time out of them if refrigerated. But each reuse severely shortens that period. With modern oils it does take a long, long time to go "rancid" or to grow anything that would make you ill (if ever). So, it's not a "heat kills everything" solution - there is nothing to kill. But normal oxidation, even in the freezer, changes the taste. Filter the oil using several varieties of filters (I use coffee filters - and yes it does take forever to strain) to get as much residual food out of the oil as possible. The cleaner you get it, the longer it will last. Some restaurant systems use coagulating powders (diatomaceous earth) dumped into the hot oil to clump the food pieces together, to make their power filtering more effective. You will never get the liquids - mostly blood, lymph, and fats from animals - strained out. Which is why you never use oil used for fish to make something light like doughnuts. Those doughnuts will always come out tasting "fishy". That liquid stuff starts to degrade in storage, and accelerates the bad flavor accumulation over time.
Finally, if you overheat the oil - meaning if it has ever even started to smoke, no matter how little - it's done. That heating has broken down the fatty acids and other molecules, and they very quickly cause the oil to give the food really bad off flavors. The oil can look very clean, and there will be no "bad" smell - but believe me, the fried food will have that nasty old oil taste we all have encountered. That's also why you can't reuse oil too many times - those breakdown products build up. Sure, they're safe to eat. Just taste terrible.
In restaurants, oil never lasts more than 2-3 days, and sometimes only 1/2 day. That's a lot of oil, considering a fryer can hold 5 gallons at a time. And some places have many fryers. Hence the push to stretch that oil dollar as far as possible. But reusing oil just doesn't work out for very long.
So, at home, if never overheated, and filtered very well, you can go a few months with it in the fridge/freezer between uses - but only for a couple of cycles. I've found the hassle of doing so to be too much. So I concentrate on using the least amount that is effective for the cooking session, and always using fresh the next time. My used oil goes with me to work to be recycled as diesel....

mac
07-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Perchjerker,

The Fish duster---

I found it in Scheels. it is like a covered tupperware with two dishes that fit together and a third piece that is a flat piece with holes 1/2" in it that fits between them. You put your fish coating (Shore lunch type) in the bottom piece, add the flat piece with holes, put the fish, (dry or wet) on that and then put the top piece on. Shake the heck out of it and that covers the fish completely. Give it a couple more shakes to get the excess in the bottom, open it up and the fish are ready for the oil. No sticky- flour covered fingers and no extra flour to burn in the oil. For $7 on sale I bought several for gifts.

I've looked all over on the internet for one prior to seeing it on the "special buys" table at Scheels.

fxnrxn
07-27-2009, 03:50 AM
I've done 4 turkeys since Easter this year, last one about a week ago. Injected with "Creole Butter". Fantastic! I use peanut oil, use the fine mesh strainer, and a funnel, and store in the basement. I do use a thermometer, and have never gone above the 325 degrees my setup recommends for peanut oil. I hope to get at least one more bird in on this 4 gallon jug of oil before replacing it. Mike

Mkv1
07-27-2009, 06:18 AM
I guess for most here health isn't an issue.
As a biochemist I can tell you that your oil goes rancid WAY before you can smell it or taste it. Rancid oils are VERY bad for you. Increases heart disease, MANY cancers and other health impacts. If you look around the world, the people (usually poor) that eat rancid fats looks as bad and as aged as heavy smokers here. This is because of the increase of free radicals. (look at old photos of relatives 100+ years ago, most look older that their ages that you see today. )Eating rancid fats were common because of availability of foods, refrigeration , custom etc.
A good source of information is any of the Udo Erastmus books.

I'm guess though that most won't go there.

perchjerker
07-27-2009, 08:03 AM
after following this I am more glad than ever I use new oil every time.

hawg
07-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Man, we sure do have some extreemists here.