: How to determine shaft length of eletric trolling motor

drbrand
07-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Was watching Bill Dance and he gave an answer to the question, "Is there a formula to determine the shaft length needed when buying an electric trolling motor?" He stated when your boat is in the water, you measure from the gunnel (top edge of boat) to the water and add 22 inches.

I don't know if that is a rule written in stone but I'm guessing if you fish rough waters, you might want to go longer.

bvs
07-28-2009, 02:57 PM
I don't think there is a good "formula." There are too many variables (boat length, width, loading, hull type, waters and conditions you fish, etc.) that determine how much shaft you'll actually need.

Just get the longest shaft available. They are adjustable and you won't have to put all of it in the water if you don't want to, but you'll be glad you have it when fishing in the wind. If you find you have bought too much shaft and want to cut it down, this is much easier done than not having enough shaft and wanting to stretch it out.

eyecatcher01
07-28-2009, 03:18 PM
in my mind you can never have to long of shaft (heeheehee). I would just go with a 60'' and not look back...you will be glad you did when the wind is blowing.

I Walleye
07-28-2009, 03:33 PM
You can't go to long. I have a 60" shaft on my Pro V and there are times it's not long enough, and I don't fish when it's real bad.

San Chan
07-29-2009, 05:53 PM
My next one will be a 62"............. there are days that I wish I have gone 10" more.

Stripehunter
07-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Ditto, longest shaft possible. Especially on deeper draft walleye boats. Bass boats with a 6" draft don't need much shaft on their electrics.

Ristorapper
07-29-2009, 08:48 PM
If you need a hard copy to look at for your information:

http://sites.mercurymarine.com/portal/page?_pageid=125,61830&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

But I'd follow the recommendations here. If you like to fish the wind, get the longest shaft you can or there will be days you will be disappointed.

I had a 60" on my 17 footer and when that pooped out I found a 54" for a 'steal'. Just barely does the job some days.

fisher-1
07-29-2009, 09:37 PM
From Minn Kota:

Top Of The Bow To Water Line.........................................Recom mended Shaft Length

0" to 10".................................................. .............................36"
16" to 22".................................................. .............................42"
22" to 28".................................................. .............................48" to 52"
28" to 34".................................................. .............................54" to 62"

rebs
07-30-2009, 07:20 AM
I think the main consideration is where you fish and what the water is like. Lake erie get the longest shaft you can get, inland lakes that do not get much waves you may get away with a shorter one. In general I would get the longest you can get.

Drummer Boy
07-30-2009, 05:56 PM
I agree with the above post's if you fish mainly big rough water.But if you fish lot's of smaller water or cast mostly that motor sticking up that high can be a real pain,so I don't think longer is alway's better.

MarkG
08-01-2009, 03:10 PM
OK,here is another but related question....say your looking at a motor not installed on a boat, and do not know what the shaft specification was...

On the motor itself,how do you measure actual "shaft length" ?

Is it the shaft you can see ,from top of the lower unit to bottom
of the control head?

Or something different such as the prop centerline,or the bottom of the skeg to the bottom of control head?

-

drbrand
08-01-2009, 09:07 PM
The shaft length is the length of the tube.

OK,here is another but related question....say your looking at a motor not installed on a boat, and do not know what the shaft specification was...

On the motor itself,how do you measure actual "shaft length" ?

Is it the shaft you can see ,from top of the lower unit to bottom
of the control head?

Or something different such as the prop centerline,or the bottom of the skeg to the bottom of control head?

-