: 28lbs navy anchor enough for my Warrior V2090 SC?

JinxCanada
03-24-2010, 06:56 PM
ok. this is the heaviest anchor i could find locally..will this be enough to hold my new boat? I know the warrior with the 225 on it is pretty heavy...

yarcraft91
03-24-2010, 07:12 PM
You might consider a different style anchor. A 9 lb Danforth-style anchor will hold a 27' boat in 20 knot winds. I use one for my 19' Yarcraft and it holds firmly in any wind I've experienced.

http://www.danforthanchors.com/standard.html

bridgeman
03-24-2010, 07:24 PM
X2 on the danforth, just make sure you have about 4' of chain before the rope.

Miami Vice
03-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Bridgeman is 100% correct.
Danforth came on like gangbusters about 35 years ago.
Now there is a new up and coming company called Fortress. Fortress is more expensive that Danforth but if you can afford to spend the extra money its worth it. When the Fortress anchor isn't being used, it can be quickly taken apart so it takes up much less of your storage space. When you are ready to use it, it only takes a few minutes to hook up.
Miami Vice

went522
03-24-2010, 08:17 PM
I agree with the above, a danforth or waterspike style...I also agree with 4' of chain.

I personally prefer the panther marine waterspike as it breaks down for storage and it's sliding ring for quick release/retrieval. We use the waterspike 9300 to hold a Lund 2025/225 in fast current on the river as well as large swells on Mille Lacs...never slips.

BIRDDOG

Prov275
03-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Like Mine Holds My 2025 Good In The Rough Stuff Too.

JinxCanada
03-24-2010, 10:38 PM
interesting..i have tried those styled anchors before with no success at all...however i did not have the chain on it...maybe that would make the difference?

and you still didn't answer my question. will the 28lbs anchor be enough to hold?

went522
03-25-2010, 12:40 AM
As far as your having issues holding with the above style anchor...at least 3' of rope per 1' depth has always worked for me. Also working the anchor in, by that I mean not just dropping anchor and forget about it, this often times will rip the anchor loose when the rope tightens. Allow the anchor to dig a bit, let a little rope out, put some pressure on, let out rope...work it in, let it dig.

As far as a 28lb. Navy, I honestly don't think you'll be happy with it.

I previously had a 20lb. Attwood Navy which I used on a Stratos 386...I had mixed results. Worked in rock. Literally never held in gravel, just Ok in the mud and sand. If it was light winds/wave it held, but as soon as the wind kicked up and I got some wave action, it would drag. Maybe the 28lb. would have held for that 18.5'er and worked out, but I know I wouldn't want to be dropping and retrieving all day...it was one of my peeves even with the 20lb.

In my group of boating buddies, I know a Skeeter 2050 owner that know has a large navy laying on his garage floor and a Lund 2025 owner that uses his Navy anchor for his kids water trampoline/jumpy. For what it's worth.

BIRDDOG

yarcraft91
03-25-2010, 05:10 AM
interesting..i have tried those styled anchors before with no success at all...however i did not have the chain on it...maybe that would make the difference?

and you still didn't answer my question. will the 28lbs anchor be enough to hold?

In a river in moderate current, the navy anchor would probably work. In big waves, I'd want a different anchor. This link has test results for a large number of anchors. The 20 lb navy anchor is near the bottom of the list. Under these test conditions, the navy anchor let loose with a 60 lb pull on the line. I expect a 28 lb would hold better, but the lighter Danforth anchors held with roughly a 900 lb pull on the anchor line.

http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Studies/1994sfanchortest1.htm

DW
03-25-2010, 07:33 AM
I would hate to to lift a 28 pound anchor over and over during a day of fishing! Also, Navy anchors do not hold well, particularly on smooth bottom.

The style of anchor that seems to have the best holding power across all types of bottom conditions is a Delta style.

A 15 pound Delta (or similar) with chain with adequate scope will not move in most any condition.

There have been a number of anchor comparison tests published. Google "boat anchor tests" and see the results yourself.

S.Larson
03-25-2010, 07:49 AM

The four feet of chain make all the difference in the world,....

Not sure how the 28 pounder will hold your boat,....But I have a 25 pounder in my 16 foot Alumacraft and sometimes it's not enough,...

Bandit
03-25-2010, 07:56 AM

28 lbs Navy Anchor will hold in the rocks
Richter Anchor is a Great Rock anchor
Rock Anchor use a 3 to 1 rope Ratio
Rock Anchors don't hold well in Mud

If Fishing Mud your should have a Mud Anchor Like the Digger, Waterspike & Danforth
Mud Anchor need to be set not just throwing it in?
Plus Mud anchors should have 6 to 1 rope Ratio

Jack G
03-26-2010, 11:35 PM
A lot of guys have more experience than I do anchoring but this is what I found. A chene anchor with about 3 ft of chain attached held my 1850 Lund Tyee in rocky areas. Two 30 lb river anchors would not hold the same boat in 20 MPH winds on Florida lakes with clean sand bottom or weedy sand bottom. In Florida I had to anchor the boat broadside to the wind so that I could fish very precisely over baited shiner holes.

Jack

rvrdrifter
03-28-2010, 06:15 AM
I have a 25 lb navy anchor for my 1660 ProV, it held well on slightly windy days but always had to let out more rope than I wanted to get it to stick. On very windy days it slipped often on sandy or hard bottoms no matter how much rope I let out, readjusting my spot was an issue that became a pain lifting and dropping the anchor. Your boat is bigger and heavier, I'm sure it will work on calm days but be ready for some frustration on days that it's not.