HDS 5 and temp not working

jayrino
05-01-2010, 03:13 PM
So I have had an HDS 5 for a year and I finally downloaded the updates and the now the water temp displays just lines with no numerical reading. The depth was working. I had the boat out 2 weeks prior and everything worked fine.

The lowrance is networked with the bow mount and that temp reading isn't working either.

Can someone help?

Thanks--Jason

nelsenpac
05-02-2010, 07:01 AM
I had a similar problem with my temp display. Chris Meyer from Lowrance followed me through some steps. I don't know if this will work for you but you can try to check it out.

I went menu, menu, network, and then data sources.

Under there is a list of gps, sonar, temp, etc. In your case, go under temp in each unit and make sure it has a valid entry selected. My temp display had 'Invalid????' selected. As soon as I changed it back to "This device", it worked. This may be similar to your problem. I believe it is related to Lowrance's attempt to auto configure the units when they are networked. Ocasionally they get it wrong. again, I'm not the Lowrance tech guy but you can try this and see if it works.

mr ducks
05-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Just had a similar problem with my hds 10. tried everything and ended up doing a hard reset and upon rebooting everything worked--temp included. had to reload my waypoints but with these units it is a simple process.
Good luck

rabbit
05-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Try a soft reset too

Rippin_Eyes
05-03-2010, 06:23 AM
do what nels said and it will work. I've brought up this to the engineers and hopefully they can rectify this somehow!

Rippin_Eyes
05-03-2010, 12:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgET1Maqg84

jayrino
05-04-2010, 01:46 PM
When I go into data source selection, and then under sonar I only have three options. Water speed, depth and water distance. It's not giving me a water temp option.

The video was helpful but I'm still missing options.

Thanks

Hawker
05-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Can't remember for certain, but I think if you have the incorrect transducer selected it won't give you the "temp" option. Seems like the default transducer selection is one that does not have temp sensor built in and didn't get that temp choice either but once I selected the correct transducer I got it, just can't remember for certain. Ya might give that a try!

Rippin_Eyes
05-07-2010, 10:49 AM
what version software are you running??

jayrino
05-08-2010, 08:00 AM
When I went into settings & installation, The transducer type says unknown. Is this where my problems is? Does anyone know the correct transducer type?

Hawker
05-08-2010, 05:37 PM
When I went into settings & installation, The transducer type says unknown. Is this where my problems is? Does anyone know the correct transducer type?

There is a silver tag attached to the transducer cable a few inches from the connector plug where it plugs into your unit. Select "that" transducer type and you should get the option to select temp.

jayrino
05-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Chris---this is the latest software I updated just a few weeks ago..

This update with Application version 2.5.31.56 and Platform version 56.13-3 includes all the 2.5.31.56 functionality previously released and also enables HDS compatibility with micro SD cards.

I will look for the transducer type and update. I think this is a software issue.

Rippin_Eyes
05-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Select your transducer and reinstall the software. You could have a corupt file that you loaded. Temp WILL be an option!

nelsenpac
05-10-2010, 11:48 AM
The usual transducer is an 83/200 transducer. The other transducer if more for real deep waters (ocean).

jayrino
05-13-2010, 08:52 PM
I updated withe the new 3.0 version and it worked. Thanks to all who helped.

Ranger619er
05-15-2010, 10:35 PM
If Im using the older minnekota powerdrive as my transducer for my HDS5, what transducer do I choose in the option menu? My temp also doesnt work, however, I have not updated my unit. Any advice would be appreciated.

Triton HWA
05-16-2010, 04:35 AM
My HDS 5 did this also and there is a place where it says Global and something else like reginal or local. It is in the networking section. I was told by Lowrance to do a reset or default on both areas. Fixed mine up perfectly. I will look at the unit later and repost procedure if you cant find the area.

Rippin_Eyes
05-17-2010, 05:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1UN49eZenc here is the hds setup vid

stinkycat
05-17-2010, 07:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1UN49eZenc here is the hds setup vid

Rippen_Eyes,

Thanks for the info and vids. Great to have a source of info like you on this forum.