: Alumacraft Trophy 185 with 150 Yamaha 4

WalleyeRip
06-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Getting real close to taking the dive to buy this new 2010 boat. Any advice, pros or cons. Anybody else have another other suggestions. Need the jump seat for the infrequent family rides really not any sking or tubing but a lot use the Walleyes in canada. Thanks

larrym
06-30-2010, 03:59 PM
I don't own that boat but made the same kind of decision a few years ago and ended up with a Lund Fisherman which is similar. I also fish Canada mostly and like the full windshield as well as the additional space behind the windshields that these models give you. We fish 3 from the boat mostly and occasionally 4 and that space is nice. Also a nice family boat with the jump seats and higher sides. They are affected by the wind a bit more than the strictly fishing models but that's not been a big problem for me.

gct
06-30-2010, 07:30 PM
I've got a 2010 Trophy 195, with the F150. I love it.

Gary

tubejig
06-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Look around a little longer. I almost took the splash on an explorer 2 weeks ago and I am glad I didn't. There are deals to be had.

Mick Broughton
06-30-2010, 08:40 PM
I've got a 2010 Trophy 195, with the F150. I love it.

GaryWhat kind of speed are you seeing?

WalleyeRip
07-01-2010, 08:09 AM
GTC-I would love to move up to the 195 for the extra room but didn't want to go over the 150. How do you feel the power is with that motor? How long does it take to plane out. Your choice would be mine exactly but I am afraid of under powering the boat. Thanks for any advice.

REW
07-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Even though the 195 is bigger, you will still get very good perfromance from that boat with the 150.

You will find that either of the alumacraft models mentioned will give you a great ride and performance.

Good luck
REW

p.s.
If in doubt, take a ride in a 195 from the dealer or other and see if the performance suits you.

gct
07-01-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm seeing 42mph(gps), 45 on the speedo, which is plenty fast enough for me. Out of the hole, is good in my opinion (full fuel (38 gals), 2 big guys (550lbs), and a days worth of gear). If I had to guess, my normal time to plane is about 3-4 seconds, and that's not pushing it hard. I'm very happy with that. It does not feel like it's struggling at all. Haven't had the opportunity to fully load the boat, but I'm going on vacation the end of July, and will have my chance. I'm no speed freak, I find myself normally running around 30mph, and am comfortable there, but the boat still feels stable running flat out. I am very impressed and happy with the rig. I thought about going to a 200, but the extra cost/weight/fuel, wasn't worth it to me.

I have it setup with a MinnKota 80lb Foretrex on the bow, a Humminbird 798ciSI on the console, and a 778c on the bow.

It sits on a 4000lb Shorelandr tandem roller trailer. Some say it's overkill, but it's what Alumacraft and Shorelander recommended. I've bent/broke marginally rated trailers before, so I have no problem having 'enough' trailer underneath me.

My previous boats have been smaller, so I really have nothing to compare this to, but I am very satisfied..

Gary

Mick Broughton
07-01-2010, 08:23 PM
I was just curious.I'm getting 48mph on my gps in a 185 Trophy with a 175 etech.

redgoose99
07-04-2010, 08:49 AM
I have a Trophy 185 with F150 and love it. I have come to appreciate the full windshield. I have four kids, and it works great for taking the family out fishing or skiing, as well as going out fishing with the guys. I can get up to 44-45 mph with the gps reading, and hole shot is just fine. My only regret is not getting this boat sooner.

camoman_TS
07-04-2010, 10:49 AM
I have a 2001 Alumacraft Trophy Pro 175 and love it. I am looking at re-powering now and wondered what I should be looking at? I had a 90 Yamaha 2stroke on it and would get 35-38mph which is a little slow for me.. The boat is rated at 130hp (new ones are 150) and wondered how far I can push the 130? I have a line on a F150 but I am worried that it will be too big for the boat. I was looking at a F90 and a F115 but worried both will not meet my expectations in the power/top speed range.

Anyone running a 175 that could shed some light?

Thanks!

Kdawg1966
07-04-2010, 11:42 AM
I just came off a 175 Trophy with a 140 Johnson 4 stroke. Very nice rig. My ONLY regrets were 2 fold: It didn't have in-floor rod lockers and it didn't have a seperate baitwell. If I were buying another Alumacraft, I'd buy the Tournament sport. Although it doesn't have a seperate baitwell, it does have the rod locker. IMO it fits the family fun-style boat just as much as the Trophy, but it's more "fishable" in my book. BTW, my new boat has a 150 yamaha on it, and I think it is a really good motor as others have confirmed here, time and again, HOWEVER, I'd buy another Johnson (Suzuki) in a heart beat. I think it is, hands down, the most underrated 4 stroke out there. Good luck.

camoman_TS
07-04-2010, 03:04 PM
I just came off a 175 Trophy with a 140 Johnson 4 stroke. Very nice rig. My ONLY regrets were 2 fold: It didn't have in-floor rod lockers and it didn't have a seperate baitwell. If I were buying another Alumacraft, I'd buy the Tournament sport. Although it doesn't have a seperate baitwell, it does have the rod locker. IMO it fits the family fun-style boat just as much as the Trophy, but it's more "fishable" in my book. BTW, my new boat has a 150 yamaha on it, and I think it is a really good motor as others have confirmed here, time and again, HOWEVER, I'd buy another Johnson (Suzuki) in a heart beat. I think it is, hands down, the most underrated 4 stroke out there. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply..

My Trophy Pro 175 is a 01 and has a separate bait well in the back but I wish it had another live well in the back as well as the front one.

What year is your Trophy Pro 175? What is it rated for hp wise?

My other concern is that there is still room for my F15 4stroke kicker (tiller) when there is a larger motor on the back..

krenkey
07-04-2010, 03:37 PM
I have the trophy 175 with a yamaha f150 and love it can get 48 mph with a SS prop trimmed up 2 guys and gear

camoman_TS
07-04-2010, 03:40 PM
I have the trophy 175 with a yamaha f150 and love it can get 48 mph with a SS prop trimmed up 2 guys and gear

What year is your trophy? min is a 01 and it's only rated for 130hp but the newer 175 trophys are 150.. same beam , same length but slightly thicker aluminum by the looks of it.

Kdawg1966
07-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the reply..

My Trophy Pro 175 is a 01 and has a separate bait well in the back but I wish it had another live well in the back as well as the front one.

What year is your Trophy Pro 175? What is it rated for hp wise?

My other concern is that there is still room for my F15 4stroke kicker (tiller) when there is a larger motor on the back..

Mine was a '04 and was rated for 150 hp. Again, I thought is was a great boat, it just didn't have a couple options that I wanted in a boat. Performance-wise with the 140 Johnson, I had no complaints - it would jump out of the hole, top out around 45 or so and would pull skiers and tubers all day. As far as room for a tiller is concerned, I didn't have one, but my salesman asked me if I wanted one, so I know there's room for one there. You'd have to call a dealer and ask them about the F15 specifically, though.

Hot Runr Guy
07-04-2010, 06:58 PM
camoman,
FWIW, Mercury makes a 125hp Optimax nowadays, which would be as close to your 130hp hull rating you can get, without going over. Here's a test report on a similiar 1750 Crestliner Sport Angler. http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/engine-tests/boat-house-bulletin/?ID=439&
HRG

krenkey
07-04-2010, 08:39 PM
What year is your trophy? min is a 01 and it's only rated for 130hp but the newer 175 trophys are 150.. same beam , same length but slightly thicker aluminum by the looks of it.

Mine is a 2010

gct
07-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Just talked to the salesman that sold me my 2010 Trophy. He says they now have an optional floor rodlocker, like the tournament sport (in place of the trifold bow setup), but keeping the rear jumpseats. Wish they offered that last winter when I ordered mine...

Gary

hunterjoe
07-05-2010, 07:57 PM
camoman,
FWIW, Mercury makes a 125hp Optimax nowadays, which would be as close to your 130hp hull rating you can get, without going over.

There's a 130 hp e-tec if I'm not mistaken. I'd go with the opti over the e-tec, but it's another option for you.

camoman_TS
07-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Just talked to the salesman that sold me my 2010 Trophy. He says they now have an optional floor rodlocker, like the tournament sport (in place of the trifold bow setup), but keeping the rear jumpseats. Wish they offered that last winter when I ordered mine...

Gary

can you get this as an additional option? I dont much like the removal floor piece I have and would switch it for a rod locker in a heart beat. In the 9 years I have owned my boat I have never removed the center board in the bow.

gregk9
07-06-2010, 10:48 PM
How do your trophys do in shallow water? I'm looking at a '90 1850 with a 150 rude on it.

While doing some internet research on these early model Trophys, one site stated the draft being 3' 8".:shocked:

The '91 Lowe I have has a very similar hull and I can get in 2 feet of water ...maybe less.

WalleyeRip
07-07-2010, 08:56 PM
GCT-you say you have the 195 trophy with the 150 Yamaha and that is enough motor. Several dealers have told me two different things about trailers. Do I need a tandem and should I get a roller or a bunk. /what do you have and how do you like it?

WalleyeRip
07-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Should I get a bunk or a roller trailer for this boat. Also I may move up and get the 195 trophy with the same 150 Yammie instead. Does that change the need for a tandem? Thanks

camoman_TS
07-08-2010, 04:36 PM
You should never run rollers on a boat with rivets.. a rolers sitting on a rivet over years will damage the rivet and you will have issues. Boats with rivets = bunks!

camoman_TS
07-08-2010, 04:38 PM
How do your trophys do in shallow water? I'm looking at a '90 1850 with a 150 rude on it.

While doing some internet research on these early model Trophys, one site stated the draft being 3' 8".:shocked:

The '91 Lowe I have has a very similar hull and I can get in 2 feet of water ...maybe less.

I can float my 175 trophy in uner 2 feet of water easy.. thats with a 90 2 stroke and a 15 4 stroke kicker on the back..

gregk9
07-08-2010, 07:29 PM
I can float my 175 trophy in uner 2 feet of water easy.. thats with a 90 2 stroke and a 15 4 stroke kicker on the back..

Thanks!

geweaver2000@yahoo.com
07-08-2010, 08:28 PM
I have an 08 Trophy 185 with a 150 Yamaha and I was in 1 and a half foot of water catching bait last week. (Did have to raise the motor though)

walleyejoe2003
07-08-2010, 08:59 PM
I have a 2007 alumacraft 195 with a suzuki 175 motor and a yamaha 8t kicker moter. Its the best boat ive ever had. I had a 2001 crestliner 1850 sportfish before with a merercy 150 motor before, It handles the rough water so much better and the crestliner had many trips too the dealer too repair factory goof ups. Do your self a favor and get the 195 you will love the extra room and the way it handles the waves.

gregk9
07-08-2010, 10:06 PM
I have an 08 Trophy 185 with a 150 Yamaha and I was in 1 and a half foot of water catching bait last week. (Did have to raise the motor though)

Perfect!! Thanks for the reply.

I have a 2007 alumacraft 195 with a suzuki 175 motor and a yamaha 8t kicker moter. Its the best boat ive ever had. I had a 2001 crestliner 1850 sportfish before with a merercy 150 motor before, It handles the rough water so much better and the crestliner had many trips too the dealer too repair factory goof ups. Do your self a favor and get the 195 you will love the extra room and the way it handles the waves.

Well if things work out, I'll be getting this 19 foot boat with a 150 HP engine for less than I paid for my 17 1/2 foot Lowe with a 70 HP outboard....and I got a good deal on the Lowe. ;)

gct
07-09-2010, 08:42 PM
camoman_TS,
not sure if you could buy the parts to convert the tri-fold bow deck to the rod locker or not, but it's an interesting thought. I may do the same. I'm sure if you call Alumacraft, they would tell you. I've spoken to them several times, seem like great folks to deal with.

WalleyeRip,
I also got confilicting info from dealers regarding trailers. I ended up buying from Cabelas, and they recommended Shorlandr. I ended up calling both Alumacraft, and Shorelandr last fall before I ordered. Shorlandr templates their trailers specifically for the Alumacraft hulls for Cabelas. They both recommended a 4000lb tandem. Some may say a little overkill. But I'm figuring around 3000lbs for boat,motor,trolling motor,gas,batteries, and gear. A couple time a year I do a weeklong trip, so add a weeks worth of luggage, food, and beer, you get the idea... I've bent and broke trailers before because they were undersized, so I'm real comfortable with the tandem.

They left the roller/bunk selection to me. Ken at Alumacraft told me the rollers (this trailer has 24) would NOT affect the hull or the warantee. I went with rollers as I have a few very shallow ramps I deal with. So far I am very pleased with the roller trailer. Very easy to launch and load by myself, even on shallow ramps. But from the threads I've read on the subject, the bunks vs rollers thing is a very personal/controversial subject. Kind of a Ford/Chevy thing. Just ask, I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions.

Good Luck with your decision.....

Gary

krenkey
07-11-2010, 07:20 AM
floats easily in 2 foot or less5385

WalleyeRip
07-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Thanks Gary (GCT). I too take several week long trips and I am always worried about how much stuff we put in a boat on a trailer. I talked to four different dealers and Cabelas is the one who suggests the heavier trailer. I am still getting different opinions on the roller vs. Bunk. The purpose of the rollers is what I need for the operational issues but if in any way it can create damage to the boat then I don't want to go that way. I also want to add the weight (although not much weigh) of a kicker and sometimes due to gas prices we buy gas in the US before we cross the border into Canada to save some cash.. Thanks for your help Gary. Rip

fishhunter195
07-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Should I get a bunk or a roller trailer for this boat. Also I may move up and get the 195 trophy with the same 150 Yammie instead. Does that change the need for a tandem? Thanks

i just went through that and in the end decided on a galvanized tandem bunk trailer... a borderline trailer will result in issues down the road... when you add up your weight totals with ALL the gear it results in a lot of extra weight.

good luck and enjoy your new rig

gct
07-17-2010, 09:34 PM
So did you make a decision yet?

camoman_TS
05-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Well I know its an old thread but I thought I would give an update..

I ended up with a 2004 Yamaha 90hp, the motor has more jam then my old 2 stroke 90 forsure but can still only get about 36-37mph with 4 people and gear. I have a longer haul to my fishing spot of choice now so I am looking to upgrade again.
I also found that the added weight of the 90 4 stroke (also have a 25 4stroke on the back) makes planing the boat much harder and the 90 struggles with planing it with 4 people.

I think I am going to call Alumacraft to find out what the difference was between the 2001 trophy pro 175 and the later models that had a haul rating for 150hp. I still think this boat would sing with a 150 on the back I just don't want to damage my transom with the added weight and torque.