: Stuck buckets???

eyewinder
09-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Here's my entry for "silliest but really frustrating problem": Does anyone know how to separate plastic buckets (usually 5- or 6-gallon ones) that have been stacked and seem to become welded together.

I've already been told (by my 80-something-year-old father): "Don't stack 'em". . .so we can move forward from there.

If I were planning to stack buckets, I'd always have some sort of lubricant to spray before stacking. But, of course, that's never the case.

Thanks in advance,
eyewinder

toolboy
09-17-2010, 05:02 PM
If you have an air compressor and blow nozel, you can put it between the two pails and give a blast of air. I've never had a pail to stuck to get apart this way.

Czar
09-18-2010, 06:40 AM
When you stack them place somthing in the bottom like a small piece of 2x4 so they won`t seat into each other.

yarcraft91
09-18-2010, 06:51 AM
If you have an air compressor and blow nozel, you can put it between the two pails and give a blast of air. I've never had a pail to stuck to get apart this way.

Yep- if you have a vacuum lock between the stacked buckets, there could be 200-700 lb of air pressure holding those buckets together. Break the vacuum.

stevefellegy
09-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Here's my entry for "silliest but really frustrating problem": Does anyone know how to separate plastic buckets (usually 5- or 6-gallon ones) that have been stacked and seem to become welded together.

I've already been told (by my 80-something-year-old father): "Don't stack 'em". . .so we can move forward from there.

If I were planning to stack buckets, I'd always have some sort of lubricant to spray before stacking. But, of course, that's never the case.

Thanks in advance,
eyewinder

buckets get stacked together each year. 600 of them. 5 gallon plastic ones.

Make sure they are dry before stacking them. But then there will always be some that stick together. Best way to get them apart is to put your foot (like into a stirrup and stand on handle) into the bucket handle of the inside bucket and grab the edge of the outer bucket and pull upward. usually works fine everytime. (better than 2 people pulling on them)

If that doens't work, which is very rare, put HOT water in the bucket and then set the two buckets into cold water for a few minutes. THAT will make the two expand/contract and like magic....they are very loose.

teamlund
09-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Yep- if you have a vacuum lock between the stacked buckets, there could be 200-700 lb of air pressure holding those buckets together. Break the vacuum.

break the vacuum by drilling a small hole inthe bottom...LOL:devil:

bob oh
09-18-2010, 08:27 AM
I use 2 or 3 buckets on the boat and always throw a rag or towel between them when I stack -- stuck buckets are very irritating :-)

eyewinder
09-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Now I've got some remedies to try!

The only advantage to buckets sticking together is that I've been using the same two stuck buckets for several years to raise the level of the padded seat that I use for icefishing/dove & deer hunting, etc.

I'm headed for my bucket stash right now. . .

hollis uled
09-18-2010, 11:31 AM
I help stock Atlantic Fry in the Spring. We use 5 gal plastic buckets and often struggled with them...one day a volunteer was with us and smacked the bucket on the side, hard on the tailgate of the pickup we used and they popped open. I was a bit shocked considering how much we had struggled with them and I asked,.."how did you know that would work?" He just shrugged and said "I'm a farm boy, that how we always did it",...

stevefellegy
09-18-2010, 04:58 PM
I help stock Atlantic Fry in the Spring. We use 5 gal plastic buckets and often struggled with them...one day a volunteer was with us and smacked the bucket on the side, hard on the tailgate of the pickup we used and they popped open. I was a bit shocked considering how much we had struggled with them and I asked,.."how did you know that would work?" He just shrugged and said "I'm a farm boy, that how we always did it",...

the farm kid has a trick, no doubt. BUT!! We learned the hard way about hitting the bucket(s) hard in cold temps. One time one of us kicked the stuck together buckets hard and they flew apart. So we did that to every pair stuck together a few times. Until we did it one cold morning and the outside bucket cracked.

Farm boys trick works fine--in warm temps. Cold=no more bucket maybe.

orchard frank
09-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Got a bunch of them here at the orchard. Folks always do me the "favor" of jamming them together when they are done. I use the foot in the handle trick that Steve mentioned, also a blast of air in the real stubborn ones, and have been known to smack a pair against a tree to loosen them. You can come up with some odd but useful info here on WC, can't you??

stevefellegy
09-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Got a bunch of them here at the orchard. Folks always do me the "favor" of jamming them together when they are done. I use the foot in the handle trick that Steve mentioned, also a blast of air in the real stubborn ones, and have been known to smack a pair against a tree to loosen them. You can come up with some odd but useful info here on WC, can't you??

The "blast" of air is a good trcik IF ya have power to get from. When I'm out in the Sugarbush, the only air I have access to is my own hot air. I know that's alot but not enough to "blast" 2 buckets apart. My big foot in the handle trick is almost fool proof. (that's why it works for me LOL)

Blackmacs
09-18-2010, 08:52 PM
We deal with this all the time at work. Usually the foot in the handle will get them apart. We've taken to numbering the buckets so they stack and come apart easier. Even the exact same kind of buckets will fit differently into each other.

Little buddy
09-19-2010, 06:37 PM
My old man was and is a drywaller for over 50 yrs (the tough old bird won't quit). We have literally had thousands of buckets over the years stacked fifteen feet high. He always let us kids clean and sell them for smelt dippers and we got to keep the money. Anyway, he taught me when I was a little kid how to separate buckets and it's so simple it's scary. You simply grab the bucket on each side holding your hands at chest level thumbs resting on the protruding bottom side of the handle mount of the top bucket. Now your four fingers will naturally be resting on the lip of the bottom bucket. With one motion push up with your thumbs and down with your fingers and presto! the buckets come apart. This really works, try it.. Good luck.:D