: Cost to Swap a 50hp 2 stroke for 4 stroke

wallifishrmn
10-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Anyone have any idea what it might cost to swap out a mercury 50hp 2 stroke (2008) for a new (could be 2010 or 2011) mercury 50hp 4 stroke. Motor has about 30 hours on it. How much more if I went for a 60hp 4 stroke?

teamlund
10-22-2010, 12:05 AM
in 2006 i traded in my 2005 merc 60 hp 2 stk for a 2006 60 hp 4 stk......My 2 stk and 3k......Its much better to do it up the way you really want it the first time.....

hogridnfool
10-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Traded my '89 Merc 40 hp 2-stroke for a new ('09) Merc 40 hp 4-stroke. $4400, tax, rigging and new prop included.

wallifishrmn
10-23-2010, 09:30 AM
I will answer my own question because maybe it will help someone else in the future. This is what the dealer said.

New 50 hp 4 stroke mercury:$6815
New 60 hp 4 stroke mercury:$7140

Trade-in value of a 2008 mercury 50hp 2 stroke with 30 hours:$3000

Said all manufacturers had to stop making 2 strokes as of July 2010--they had a 12 year notice. No one wants a 2 stroke.

Information gained don't plan on buying a boat & motor cheap with a 2 stroke and plan on getting a 4 stroke unless you want to spend $$$$$. Buy a rig with a 4 stroke & save money. Also much quieter and don't have to inhale smoke. I decided to pass on the used boat I was looking at and buy one with a 4 stroke. Didn't want to spend $4000 to upgrade motor. Hope this helps.

Flip Silverlake
10-23-2010, 10:40 AM
I will answer my own question because maybe it will help someone else in the future. This is what the dealer said.

New 50 hp 4 stroke mercury:$6815
New 60 hp 4 stroke mercury:$7140

Trade-in value of a 2008 mercury 50hp 2 stroke with 30 hours:$3000

Said all manufacturers had to stop making 2 strokes as of July 2010--they had a 12 year notice. No one wants a 2 stroke.

Information gained don't plan on buying a boat & motor cheap with a 2 stroke and plan on getting a 4 stroke unless you want to spend $$$$$. Buy a rig with a 4 stroke & save money. Also much quieter and don't have to inhale smoke. I decided to pass on the used boat I was looking at and buy one with a 4 stroke. Didn't want to spend $4000 to upgrade motor. Hope this helps.

The statement your dealer made is not correct about building 2 strokers. EPA regulates emissions not engine design. There are two North American companys currently building DFI 2 stroke motors. BRP and Merc. Since this dealer is not truthfull about what is currently on the market I would be VERY carefull about buying anything from him. The DFI 2 stroke engines are the cleanest motors on the market. Talk to another dealer before you buy anything and get your facts inorder.

hunterjoe
10-23-2010, 11:47 AM
I can promise you with the new DFI 2 strokes you won't be inhaling smoke any more that with a 4 stroke. They are very clean burning motors.

The only negative I can see (hear really) with the DFIs is that they are a bit louder than a 4 stroke.

Miami Vice
10-23-2010, 09:24 PM
hunter Joe
Even if the new DFI 2 strokes have the same decibel rating as the 4 strokes, they will still sound louder. There is something about the pitch of a 2 stroke that makes it appear to be louder to our ears. This isn't a big issue because when you are going fast there is more noise from the wind, and the waves hitting the boat that the noise coming from the engine.
Miami Vice

REW
10-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Hunter,
You can make the smoke statement.
But, then how can you explain the fact that over the course of 100 gallons of fuel, you will also go through at least a gallon of oil.

When that gallon of oil goes through the engine, it would certainly seem necessary to generate some smoke.

This, in contrast to any well running 4-stroke, which will burn 0 oil in the 100 gallons of fuel.

Although the new DFI 2-strokes smoke less - I wonder if the statement about the smoking level is correct???

Take care
REW

hunterjoe
10-23-2010, 10:33 PM
MV, just want to make sure you were agreeing with me right? I was stating that a 2 stroke is louder than a 4 stroke.

REW, I own a 2 stroke DFI and when I was idling on the dock with the wind at my back I could smell exhaust, but you're telling me you wouldn't with a 4 stroke? It wasn't the 2 stroke oil burning smell and you could not see it like you can with a carbed 2 stroke. It smelled just like the exhaust from my truck. I'm not trying to start anything, just give my opinions and experiences with the poster who asked the questions. That's all.

This Guy
10-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Cost to swap a 50hp 2 stroke for 4 stroke...

Money
Torque
Holeshot

Any questions?

teamlund
10-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Cost to swap a 50hp 2 stroke for 4 stroke...

Money
Torque
Holeshot

Any questions?

correct me if I am wrong but a 4 stk will produce more torque, cost less to operate in fuel/oil......might lose a smidge on the holeshot........

This Guy
10-24-2010, 10:01 PM
correct me if I am wrong but a 4 stk will produce more torque, cost less to operate in fuel/oil......might lose a smidge on the holeshot........
2 strokes produce more torque throughout the rpm's. 2-strokes produce a power stroke every revoultion unlike a 4-stroke's every other.

Jerryv
10-25-2010, 02:14 PM
2 strokes produce more torque throughout the rpm's. 2-strokes produce a power stroke every revoultion unlike a 4-stroke's every other.

From Wiki:
For a given torque (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque) and speed, the power may be calculated; the relationship between torque in foot-pounds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound-foot_%28torque%29), rotational speed in RPM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM) and horsepower is:

P(hp) = T(ft-lbf) x RPM / 5252

Where P is power, Τ is torque, and RPM is rotations per minute. The constant 5252 comes from (33,000 ft·lbf/min)/(2π rad./rev.).

I don't see a "strokes" factor. If the RPM and HP are equal then the torque is the same.

:stirthepot:

Jerry

Further North
10-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Perhaps "more immediate torque" is a better descriptor.

MarkG
10-25-2010, 10:17 PM
GENERALLY speaking...Power to weight ratio would be higher on a 2 stroke.

Exceptions would be because of the way the manufacturers often use the same block and displacement for multiple HP models using restrictor plates etc to limit full output on some.. But all things unrestricted this would normally be true. It's just physics,less moving parts,less weight.

I don't own an Opti,but hearing them run across the lake at WOT,those sure seem louder than any 4 stroke,and even many older 2 strokes.

Re smoke on modern EFI/DFI High tech 2strokes..
Factors that have really reduced it to near nothing is the same thing that cleaned up the emissions itself,which is the precise timing of the fuel charge and the momentary suppression of an injection pulse in that moment in the stroke where both the intake and exhaust ports are open to the atmosphere during the scavenging process. The EFI/DFI is no longer squirting any amount of nearly raw mostly unburned fuel into the atmosphere like an old carbed 2 stroke would . Plus the better oils required in the high tech 2 strokes ,in themselves smoke a bit less.

4 strokes blowing a puff of smoke on the first cold start in the morning is not uncommon,as ,depending on the conditions of the rings,or valve guides,a bit of oil can migrate into the combustion chamber after sitting for awhile. Does not hurt anything,and actually lubricates the upper cylinder area a bit.

tv4fish
10-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Perhaps "more immediate torque" is a better descriptor.
My opinion - 2 strokes provide better "acceleration" (size for size) due to twice as many power strokes.