: Isopropyl or Seafoam

mrwalleye5
10-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Will Seafoam work as well as Isopropyl Alchohol for water problem prevention in my 150 Optimax. Goiing to be experiencing some below freezing temps, especially in the moringing hours in the next few days.

W5

PJM
10-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Mrwalleye5

Isopropyl Alcohol and two stroke motors are not a good combination. Alcohol burns different and being a direct injected motor you could have a lean problem or an oiling problem with the alcohol. I am not a Seafoam fan but I would probably use that before straight isopropyl alcohol. Seafoam has some in it and most fuel you but these day have some additives to prevent freezing in the winter months.........

MarkG
10-28-2010, 09:13 PM
What are you actually worried about? Some Below freezing temps will not hurt anything. Your fuel lines will not freeze. Nothing really to worry about.If you are using 10% ethanol fuels even less to worry about in regards to that.

It's long term storage that becomes an issue with condensation,stratification,loss of volital products,etc. ,inside your tank.... Summer or winter. Green Stabil,Seafoam,or Startron seem to be the favored products for dealing long term.

wallymn99
10-29-2010, 06:14 AM
I wouldn't be worried about gas line freeze. However, Seafoam will get the water out of the tank. Using E10 fuels attracts water.

MarkG
10-29-2010, 08:19 AM
I wouldn't be worried about gas line freeze. However, Seafoam will get the water out of the tank. Using E10 fuels attracts water.

Before assuming Seafoam is what you should use for this,you should know that SeaFoam CONTAINS Isopropyl Alcohol ,,listed on their data sheet as "IPA", This may also be a reason NOT to use it as a stabilizer for long term storage.

May want to give this link a read first:
http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html

If water in you tank because of long term storage is an issue, a water separating filter should be considered as your resolution,
rather than additives.

REW
10-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Mr,
When folks add heat to their gas to avoid fuel line freezing, they are adding something on the order of 1-2% alchol to their fuel.

Most of todays fuels that are in most of the boats that are on the water have about 10% alchol in them. So, there is really no issue at all with the fuel lines freezing.

If in doubt, and or if you are using non alchol containing fuel, you could always add heat or sea foam if you had doubts.

Take care
REW