: Yamaha F150 oil change

bluffhunter
01-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Question for you guys on oil change for F150, manual says change at 20 hours and other people had told me to change after 10 hour break in? Also says capacity is 5.5 quarts but replacement is 4.76 quarts with filter change, which is it? Thanks for the help:banghead:

1625rebel
01-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Can't help you with capacity, but in regards to 10 vs 20 hours, go with what the manual states. 20 hours. The engineers decided what the best procedure is to properly maintain your outboard.

I went with the 20 hour reco on my F75. It happened to coincide with my winterization on season 1, since I got the boat in mid August. I usually put about 30-40 hours on my boat a season according to the internal computer.

tbomn
01-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Question for you guys on oil change for F150, manual says change at 20 hours and other people had told me to change after 10 hour break in? Also says capacity is 5.5 quarts but replacement is 4.76 quarts with filter change, which is it? Thanks for the help:banghead:

I feel your pain... I put the 5.5 quarts in on my first oil change and it was too much. Over many oil changes I have found that 5 qts is as close as you can get. For your own peace of mind, start out by putting in 4.5 qts and check the dipstick, then add to bring it up to full. You should find that it is right at 5 qts.

1625rebel
01-12-2011, 03:40 PM
With brand new 4 strokes, you may find that they "Make Oil" for a period of time when they are newer. Fuel diluting out your oil. This can happen more frequently when you troll in cold water for periods of time.

Two things you can do to combat this. Make sure you get your Wide Open Throttle time in during the break in procedure per your manual. If it says you can got to WOT for a specific amount of time after X hours, make sure you do it. Gotta get those rings to seat.

And the second thing is to always make sure your oil level does not get too high. So don't overfill to begin with, if you run the chance of adding to your oil reservoir. I would check your dipstick carefully on that first fill to learn how much to add. Also you may want to tilt your motor up and down as it's draining. Believe me you will get more old oil to come out that way.

shoal angler
01-12-2011, 04:41 PM
My manual says change at 10 hrs after break-in and therafter change at 100 hrs or once a year whichever comes first

bluffhunter
01-13-2011, 08:03 AM
its a 2011 model, maybe they updated manual and decided on 20 hours instead of 10 as it states 20 hours then 100 hours thereafter. Now im not sure if should spend the cash and change at 10 hours or wait until 20, i guess if manual states 20 hours i can wait until then.

Esoxchaser
01-13-2011, 12:04 PM
I found with my F150 that if after it stops draining, if I trim it all the way up then back down it drains some more. There must be some oil left in the galleries that doesn't drain out when trimmed all the way down. This could be by design to help avoid upper engine oil starvation at start up. That said, I still never got 5.5 qts in there at oil change time. But you should try this to make sure you get all of the old oil out.

Robert M
01-13-2011, 08:16 PM
I was told 4 strokes tend to retain some oil in the upper end of the motor. They sit verticle and lubricate differently than a 4 stroke car engine.So before I change mine I trim the motor down past verticle and let it sit there for a while. Then I change the oil and filter.When I refill with oil I put in about a pint less than reccomended.Then I run the boat for a little while and let it sit and recheck and add if needed.

According to the mechanic he said motors might not be making oil so much as people just not getting all the oil out on a change and then adding the reccomended amount back.

Ive also noticed from running 4 strokes that it is never very consistant where the level shows up on the dipstick.I think this also has to do with how much has drained back down into the case.JMO

gct
01-13-2011, 08:52 PM
I have a 1 year old F150. (I believe after 2006, Yamaha outboards no longer uses a model year designation, but that's a discussion for another thread). Manual said 20 hours for initial oil change. Dealer did that one, I did the end of season change when I winterized. New filter, and 5 quarts, and the level was about 2/3 up the dipstsick 'ok' range.

Also interesting, manual says 5.5 quarts (excluding filter), but Yamaha sells an oil change kit (LUB-MRNMR-KT-10), which includes filter and 5 quarts...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/Yamalube/2010_Yamalube_Catalog.pdf
OUTBOARD F150 10W-30 KIT:
LUB-MRNMR-KT-10
CONTENTS:
10W-30 Oil (5 Qts.)
Oil Filter (Qty. 1)
Drain Gasket (Qty. 1)
OUTBOARD F150 20W-40 KIT:
LUB-MRNMR-KT-20
CONTENTS:
20W-40 Oil (5 Qts.)
Oil Filter (Qty. 1)
Drain Gasket (Qty. 1)
MODELS INCLUDED:
04-10 F150 4.5 L/4.8 Qts.

fish4trophy
01-14-2011, 01:21 PM
I have changed my F150 and I got 5.5 qts in. I did do the raise and lowering of the motor during the draining and had no problems with the 5.5 qts.

TomP.
01-14-2011, 02:20 PM
I.

According to the mechanic he said motors might not be making oil so much as people just not getting all the oil out on a change and then adding the reccomended amount back.

Easy enough to know for sure just smell the oil.... smells like gas it is making oil. Or should we say leaking fuel past the rings.

angler53
01-18-2011, 05:31 AM
I buy the yamaha kit that comes with the filter, gaskets and five quarts of oil. Five qts puts the level in the middle of the range on the stick.
I always run the motor hard the first part of the day with a lot of WOT. Always let it cool down before shutdown. I change the oil when it get dirty regardless of time between. Sometimes around fifty hours and sometimes I'll let it get close to a hundred. Oil is cheap insurance.

beeman
01-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Putting the oil to full mark on dip is over filling belive it or not.