: within 1 hour after drinking soda

Hollis
03-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Long winter,... thought this might be of interest of some of you esp if you have kids.
Diet soda has its own problems....

From Peaceful Parenting Magazine:

WITHIN ONE HOUR AFTER DRINKING SODA

I have to admit, as a former teacher, I used to cringe when I saw the amounts of soda my students could put away in a day. We may as well have installed a soda pop fountain instead of the water fountain. Later, as I worked with parents of infants, I almost choked on a bite of lunch one day to see a baby's bottle filled with Coke. Since that memorable day, I have met others who regularly purchase Pepsi for their tots and think nothing of it when they stock the fridge with Mt. Dew.

One thing I know for sure: soda in no way benefits your baby, your child (or you!)

According to the Nutrition Research Center, this is what happens to your body within one hour of drinking a can of soda:

-10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system, which is 100 percent of your recommended daily intake. You'd normally vomit from such an intake, but the phosphoric acid cuts the flavor.

-20 minutes: Your blood sugar skyrockets. Your pancreas attempts to maximize insulin production in order to turn high levels of sugar into fat.

-40 minutes: As your body finishes absorbing the caffeine, your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, and your liver pumps more sugar into the bloodstream. Adenosine receptors in your brain are blocked preventing you from feeling how tired you may actually be.

-45 minutes: Your body increases dopamine production, causing you to feel pleasure and adding to the addictiveness of the beverage. This physical neuro response works the same way as it would if we were consuming heroin.

<60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, which boosts your metabolism a bit further. High doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners compound this effect, increasing the urinary excretion of calcium. The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (You have to GO!) Your body will eliminate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was otherwise heading to your bones. And you will also flush out the sodium, electrolytes and water. Your body has eliminated the water that was in the soda. And in the process it was infused with nutrients and minerals your body would have otherwise used to hydrate your system or build body cells, bones, teeth.

>60 minutes: The sugar crash begins. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You start feeling like crap. Time to grab another?

MrStarnes1
03-01-2011, 07:56 PM
after reading that, i hate to say, i want to crack a mt dew

teamlund
03-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Nothing, and I mean nothing, is better that cracking open a mt dew at 3 am when on 3rd shift and letting that sweet poison roll down into your gullet!!!!!! I used to do 3 dews a day...I am down to one now.... Hopefully with time a soda will be more of a special occasion kind of thing instead of a daily addiction....

mac
03-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the reminder

MrStarnes1
03-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Nothing, and I mean nothing, is better that cracking open a mt dew at 3 am when on 3rd shift and letting that sweet poison roll down into your gullet!!!!!! I used to do 3 dews a day...I am down to one now.... Hopefully with time a soda will be more of a special occasion kind of thing instead of a daily addiction....

had a friend in high school who lost 40lbs over summer vacation doing what he called the mt dew diet. he said that instead of eating breakfast and lunch, he had a mt dew instead and then had one whenever he got hungry. only meal he ever ate was supper.
i tried it myself and lost 18lbs over a few months. you get pretty shakey until that meal of the day

AllenW
03-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Considering my entire youth was spent drinking RC cola and eating Hostess twinkies, it does explain a lot.....:)

Al

REW
03-01-2011, 08:23 PM
One of the reasons that Dew works so well, is because of the grapefruit that is in the drink. The citric acid really helps to lose weight.

REW

tbomn
03-01-2011, 09:27 PM
One of the reasons that Dew works so well, is because of the grapefruit that is in the drink. The citric acid really helps to lose weight.

REW

Believe it or don't..... Mountain Dew has no grapefruit juice in it, they us orange juice and citric acid for the sour taste. They also use calcium disodium EDTA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_disodium_EDTA), the same stuff they use to de-scale boilers and pipes with........yum!!!

Derwood
03-02-2011, 06:21 AM
Finally, another person who likes Royal Crown soda!!! Still my favorite!!!!

How does the 5 hour energy compare to a can of soda, I wonder. It's a lot more $ that's for sure...

Steven Pederson
03-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Not to mention the extra calories a day, that add up over a month. Then we wonder why our population is so obese. I wonder what the average soda drinker would loose the first year of drinking water instead.

Question
03-02-2011, 07:09 AM
So what about diet soda?

Juls
03-02-2011, 07:48 AM
So what about diet soda?

It's even worse...

http://www.helium.com/items/1915946-diet-sodas-are-bad-for-you

Pros *No sugar or calories
*Low sodium
*Zero carbohydrates
-Cons
*Possible increase in weight
*Tastes worse than regular soda
*Larger number of preservatives
*Negative effects on the liver, kidneys, and other organs
*No nutritional value
*Contains carbonic acid which is bad for the intestines
*Artificial sweeteners are metabolized as carbs which can cause long term health (http://www.helium.com/items/1915946-diet-sodas-are-bad-for-you#) problems
*Increase in hunger/cravings for sugar
*Potential cancer risks
*Tooth decay

Crappie Kid
03-02-2011, 07:57 AM
7 weeks ago I joind a biggest loser contest here at work. I gave up fast food, chocolate doughnuts (every day), bagels and Coke Classic. I usually had 3-6 Cokes a day... sometimes more. I also added regular workouts at the gym that have increased in duration and intensity.

I also maintain portion control when I eat now.

I started at 289 and during weigh-in today was down to 255.5. Lost 33.5 pounds.

I just finished a Coke to celebrate my -30 threshold... then I opened this thread.

Thanks for the insight.

Juls
03-02-2011, 08:12 AM
7 weeks ago I joind a biggest loser contest here at work. I gave up fast food, chocolate doughnuts (every day), bagels and Coke Classic. I usually had 3-6 Cokes a day... sometimes more. I also added regular workouts at the gym that have increased in duration and intensity.

I also maintain portion control when I eat now.

I started at 289 and during weigh-in today was down to 255.5. Lost 33.5 pounds.

I just finished a Coke to celebrate my -30 threshold... then I opened this thread.

Thanks for the insight.

Congrats on the healthier lifestyle and losing the weight! Keep it up and keep it off! :)

Juls

hnd
03-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Both are just terrible for you. I drink a dew or coke occasionally but right now I basically buy bottled Gatorade from SAMs and then cut it in half with water. Works for me.

MK cant log
03-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Long winter,... thought this might be of interest of some of you esp if you have kids.

I have to admit, as a former teacher, I used to cringe when I saw the amounts of soda my students could put away in a day. We may as well have installed a soda pop fountain instead of the water fountain. Later, as I worked with parents of infants, I almost choked on a bite of lunch one day to see a baby's bottle filled with Coke. Since that memorable day, I have met others who regularly purchase Pepsi for their tots and think nothing of it when they stock the fridge with Mt. Dew.

One thing I know for sure: soda in no way benefits your baby, your child (or you!)

According to the Nutrition Research Center, this is what happens to your body within one hour of drinking a can of soda:

-10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system, which is 100 percent of your recommended daily intake. You'd normally vomit from such an intake, but the phosphoric acid cuts the flavor.

-20 minutes: Your blood sugar skyrockets. Your pancreas attempts to maximize insulin production in order to turn high levels of sugar into fat.

-40 minutes: As your body finishes absorbing the caffeine, your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, and your liver pumps more sugar into the bloodstream. Adenosine receptors in your brain are blocked preventing you from feeling how tired you may actually be.

-45 minutes: Your body increases dopamine production, causing you to feel pleasure and adding to the addictiveness of the beverage. This physical neuro response works the same way as it would if we were consuming heroin.

<60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, which boosts your metabolism a bit further. High doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners compound this effect, increasing the urinary excretion of calcium. The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (You have to GO!) Your body will eliminate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was otherwise heading to your bones. And you will also flush out the sodium, electrolytes and water. Your body has eliminated the water that was in the soda. And in the process it was infused with nutrients and minerals your body would have otherwise used to hydrate your system or build body cells, bones, teeth.

>60 minutes: The sugar crash begins. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You start feeling like crap. Time to grab another?

And yet, we all survived it. Amazing. I suspect today's teens will too.

I find the name of the magazine pretty funny..."Peaceful Parenting"!! If that's not an oxymoron, I don't know what is.

Kruger
03-02-2011, 08:56 AM
That does it. From now on everytime I'm thirsty, instead of reaching for a pop. I'll just have a BudLight.

Juls
03-02-2011, 09:01 AM
That does it. From now on everytime I'm thirsty, instead of reaching for a pop. I'll just have a BudLight.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=4498270&page=1

Better choice actually....:cheers:

Juls

ken perry
03-02-2011, 11:17 AM
"And yet, we all survived it. Amazing. I suspect today's teens will too. "

Well yes, I survived, two falls off ladders and a car accident when I was young. I understand also almost met my demise in a CO gas poisoning in our house as a kid from a malfunctioning heater.

I don't recommend any of those. As far as kids today, well they are consuming much more junk food now than aeven 15 years ago, Ever see the movie/video SUPERSIZE ME? I see those e-mails that get sent around how we "survived " things. Some I agree with, some are pretty dumb. Sure kids can survive soda, but at what cost? My best friend is an exec for Coke, he tells me that COKE knows their products are addictive and after a few years of having COKE taps in his house, one day he tore the syrups out that made sodas and his kids had to drink water or seltzer, from those taps. He said he saw quite an improvement in them.

A doctor friend says he has several pts that admitted to him that they have Coke or diet Coke by there bedside that they drink at night when they turn over in bed. That he thinks its the phosphoric acid that they are addicted to.

I used to be very addicted to it as my friend used to drop off cases and cases of the stuff to our office,gratis. I think nearly everyone was addicted in a short while. Ie couldn't have a meal at home or out without one.

Most of us kinda all came to the conclusion one Spring and asked that he no longer leave it. I became a seltzer addict after a few weeks I couldn't stand Coke of any type any more. Just water and CO2 I don't think is too bad.

BTW Diet sodas also have been shown to release insulin which makes you more hungry and actually increases your sweet tooth.

MK cant log
03-02-2011, 12:55 PM
I've heard of Coke addicts but I thought they were talking about something else.

Sounds like this stuff should be illegal.

ZooMNFinancial
03-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Not to mention the extra calories a day, that add up over a month. Then we wonder why our population is so obese. I wonder what the average soda drinker would loose the first year of drinking water instead.

Sophmore year of college I lost 10lbs (I only weighed ~170 before cutting) by cutting out pop. I drank juice at the meals instead which also had sugar but less of it then pop. I drink way too much pop right now but with mt last year of grad school it is just habit which is sad since the caffeine really does nothing for me.

* Disclaimer - I was also working out more for basball and had the occasional pop on the weekends with other adult beverages mixed in :cheers: But I really did tell a difference.

Where's my redbull? I am going on 5 hours sleep and still have 6 hours until I am out of the board meeting. :badidea:

Hollis
03-02-2011, 01:26 PM
I once had a girlfriend that would call me at 2-3 in the morning saying I had to find her some TAB.... somewhere, somehow and NOW.. The first time or two I was hoping it was just to get me over there but no,..she just wanted the TAB,..it had to be in cans too , not bottles.

I had a friend that worked in a warehouse for sodas and he said that they line the Aluminum cans with a plastic coating (Do you know about BIS phenol A? if not google it) anyway sometime the spray would miss a tinyl spot and in a few days the soda, esp colas would eat through the aluminum and they would have a leaker and they would toss the whole case away as it was too much trouble to remove that one.

I have also read that a small amount of aluminum is present in those cans due to micro-pores leaching same over time. Think about how those anti wet deodorants work. The aluminum salts (clorhydrate) go into the skin and FREEZES the nerves that are sweat glands,..and that aluminum is now in your body.,..it doesn't excrete very well. There are some neuro scientists that still think there is a connection with Alzheimer and aluminum load as you can find fairly high amounts of aluminum in those people (along w/protein plaque but what initiates those?)

Interesting that it may effect the nervous system just in that way alone. Since it seems addictive to some people ,and that addiction isn't understood, Is this a part of the pathway of it being addictive to those people? If something can stop certain pretty powerful sweat gland nerves for hours,?...I'm guessing it has other effects.

Blackmacs
03-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Believe it or don't..... Mountain Dew has no grapefruit juice in it, they us orange juice and citric acid for the sour taste. They also use calcium disodium EDTA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_disodium_EDTA), the same stuff they use to de-scale boilers and pipes with........yum!!!

Goes to show what you know. That suff is to protect the flavor. It says so right on the can. LOL

Seriously, it's for descaling boilers? I wonder if it will deplaque my arteries. Probably not. I gotta just switch to water.

spampy
03-02-2011, 04:02 PM

Kids dont drink Soda they drink Monster Energy Drinks,,,take a look at those ingrediants...

rbsangler
03-02-2011, 05:10 PM
I happen to like diet soda...I do not care if others don't, so long as they leave me alone and do not attempt to legislate the banning of my "guilty pleasures". It's my opinion that this is simply another"this or that is gonna kill you panic story". Certain circles are full of these types of creations of crisis. Then the logical thing to do is have the "authorities" create a department to oversee the "solving" of said crisis...give us a break. Be interesting to know how the families of those employed by soda companies react to the attack on their livelyhoods.

aspartame
03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Aspartame is, by far, the most dangerous substance on the market that is added to foods.

Aspartame is the technical name for the brand names NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, and Equal-Measure. It was discovered by accident in 1965 when James Schlatter, a chemist of G.D. Searle Company, was testing an anti-ulcer drug.
What you don’t know WILL hurt you. Find out the dangerous effects of artificial sweeteners to your health.

Aspartame was approved for dry goods in 1981 and for carbonated beverages in 1983. It was originally approved for dry goods on July 26, 1974, but objections filed by neuroscience researcher Dr John W. Olney and Consumer attorney James Turner in August 1974 as well as investigations of G.D. Searle's research practices caused the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to put approval of aspartame on hold (December 5, 1974). In 1985, Monsanto purchased G.D. Searle and made Searle Pharmaceuticals and The NutraSweet Company separate subsidiaries.

Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA. Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death.(1) A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include: Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain.

According to researchers and physicians studying the adverse effects of aspartame, the following chronic illnesses can be triggered or worsened by ingesting of aspartame:(2) Brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, parkinson's disease, alzheimer's, mental retardation, lymphoma, birth defects, fibromyalgia, and diabetes.

Aspartame is made up of three chemicals: aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol. The book "Prescription for Nutritional Healing," by James and Phyllis Balch, lists aspartame under the category of "chemical poison." As you shall see, that is exactly what it is.
What Is Aspartame Made Of?
Aspartic Acid (40 percent of Aspartame)

Dr. Russell L. Blaylock, a professor of neurosurgery at the Medical University of Mississippi, recently published a book thoroughly detailing the damage that is caused by the ingestion of excessive aspartic acid from aspartame. Blaylock makes use of almost 500 scientific references to show how excess free excitatory amino acids such as aspartic acid and glutamic acid (about 99 percent of monosodium glutamate (MSG) is glutamic acid) in our food supply are causing serious chronic neurological disorders and a myriad of other acute symptoms.(3)
How Aspartate (and Glutamate) Cause Damage

aspartateAspartate and glutamate act as neurotransmitters in the brain by facilitating the transmission of information from neuron to neuron. Too much aspartate or glutamate in the brain kills certain neurons by allowing the influx of too much calcium into the cells. This influx triggers excessive amounts of free radicals, which kill the cells. The neural cell damage that can be caused by excessive aspartate and glutamate is why they are referred to as "excitotoxins." They "excite" or stimulate the neural cells to death.

Aspartic acid is an amino acid. Taken in its free form (unbound to proteins) it significantly raises the blood plasma level of aspartate and glutamate. The excess aspartate and glutamate in the blood plasma shortly after ingesting aspartame or products with free glutamic acid (glutamate precursor) leads to a high level of those neurotransmitters in certain areas of the brain.

The blood brain barrier (BBB), which normally protects the brain from excess glutamate and aspartate as well as toxins, 1) is not fully developed during childhood, 2) does not fully protect all areas of the brain, 3) is damaged by numerous chronic and acute conditions, and 4) allows seepage of excess glutamate and aspartate into the brain even when intact.

The excess glutamate and aspartate slowly begin to destroy neurons. The large majority (75 percent or more) of neural cells in a particular area of the brain are killed before any clinical symptoms of a chronic illness are noticed. A few of the many chronic illnesses that have been shown to be contributed to by long-term exposure to excitatory amino acid damage include:

* Multiple sclerosis (MS)
* ALS
* Memory loss
* Hormonal problems
* Hearing loss
* Epilepsy
* Alzheimer's disease

* Parkinson's disease
* Hypoglycemia
* AIDS
* Dementia
* Brain lesions
* Neuroendocrine disorders

The risk to infants, children, pregnant women, the elderly and persons with certain chronic health problems from excitotoxins are great. Even the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB), which usually understates problems and mimics the FDA party-line, recently stated in a review that:

"It is prudent to avoid the use of dietary supplements of L-glutamic acid by pregnant women, infants, and children. The existence of evidence of potential endocrine responses, i.e., elevated cortisol and prolactin, and differential responses between males and females, would also suggest a neuroendocrine link and that supplemental L-glutamic acid should be avoided by women of childbearing age and individuals with affective disorders."(4)

Aspartic acid from aspartame has the same deleterious effects on the body as glutamic acid.

The exact mechanism of acute reactions to excess free glutamate and aspartate is currently being debated. As reported to the FDA, those reactions include:(5)
aspartame effect

* Headaches/migraines
* Nausea
* Abdominal pains
* Fatigue (blocks sufficient glucose entry into brain)
* Sleep problems
* Vision problems
* Anxiety attacks
* Depression
* Asthma/chest tigShtness.

One common complaint of persons suffering from the effect of aspartame is memory loss. Ironically, in 1987, G.D. Searle, the manufacturer of aspartame, undertook a search for a drug to combat memory loss caused by excitatory amino acid damage. Blaylock is one of many scientists and physicians who are concerned about excitatory amino acid damage caused by ingestion of aspartame and MSG.

A few of the many experts who have spoken out against the damage being caused by aspartate and glutamate include Adrienne Samuels, Ph.D., an experimental psychologist specializing in research design. Another is Olney, a professor in the department of psychiatry, School of Medicine, Washington University, a neuroscientist and researcher, and one of the world's foremost authorities on excitotoxins. (He informed Searle in 1971 that aspartic acid caused holes in the brains of mice.)
Phenylalanine (50 percent of aspartame)
Don’t let artificial sweeteners fool you! Order now and find out the risks of using aspartame.

Phenylalanine is an amino acid normally found in the brain. Persons with the genetic disorder phenylketonuria (PKU) cannot metabolize phenylalanine. This leads to dangerously high levels of phenylalanine in the brain (sometimes lethal). It has been shown that ingesting aspartame, especially along with carbohydrates, can lead to excess levels of phenylalanine in the brain even in persons who do not have PKU.

This is not just a theory, as many people who have eaten large amounts of aspartame over a long period of time and do not have PKU have been shown to have excessive levels of phenylalanine in the blood. Excessive levels of phenylalanine in the brain can cause the levels of seratonin in the brain to decrease, leading to emotional disorders such as depression. It was shown in human testing that phenylalanine levels of the blood were increased significantly in human subjects who chronically used aspartame.(6)

Even a single use of aspartame raised the blood phenylalanine levels. In his testimony before the U.S. Congress, Dr. Louis J. Elsas showed that high blood phenylalanine can be concentrated in parts of the brain and is especially dangerous for infants and fetuses. He also showed that phenylalanine is metabolised much more effeciently by rodents than by humans.(7)

One account of a case of extremely high phenylalanine levels caused by aspartame was recently published the "Wednesday Journal" in an article titled "An Aspartame Nightmare." John Cook began drinking six to eight diet drinks every day. His symptoms started out as memory loss and frequent headaches. He began to crave more aspartame-sweetened drinks. His condition deteriorated so much that he experienced wide mood swings and violent rages. Even though he did not suffer from PKU, a blood test revealed a phenylalanine level of 80 mg/dl. He also showed abnormal brain function and brain damage. After he kicked his aspartame habit, his symptoms improved dramatically.(8)

As Blaylock points out in his book, early studies measuring phenylalanine buildup in the brain were flawed. Investigators who measured specific brain regions and not the average throughout the brain notice significant rises in phenylalanine levels. Specifically the hypothalamus, medulla oblongata, and corpus striatum areas of the brain had the largest increases in phenylalanine. Blaylock goes on to point out that excessive buildup of phenylalanine in the brain can cause schizophrenia or make one more susceptible to seizures.

Therefore, long-term, excessive use of aspartame may provid a boost to sales of seratonin reuptake inhibitors such as Prozac and drugs to control schizophrenia and seizures.
Methanol (aka wood alcohol/poison) (10 percent of aspartame)

Methanol/wood alcohol is a deadly poison. Some people may remember methanol as the poison that has caused some "skid row" alcoholics to end up blind or dead. Methanol is gradually released in the small intestine when the methyl group of aspartame encounter the enzyme chymotrypsin.

The absorption of methanol into the body is sped up considerably when free methanol is ingested. Free methanol is created from aspartame when it is heated to above 86 Fahrenheit (30 Centigrade). This would occur when aspartame-containing product is improperly stored or when it is heated (e.g., as part of a "food" product such as Jello).

methanolMethanol breaks down into formic acid and formaldehyde in the body. Formaldehyde is a deadly neurotoxin. An EPA assessment of methanol states that methanol "is considered a cumulative poison due to the low rate of excretion once it is absorbed. In the body, methanol is oxidized to formaldehyde and formic acid; both of these metabolites are toxic." They recommend a limit of consumption of 7.8 mg/day. A one-liter (approx. 1 quart) aspartame-sweetened beverage contains about 56 mg of methanol. Heavy users of aspartame-containing products consume as much as 250 mg of methanol daily or 32 times the EPA limit.(9)

Symptoms from methanol poisoning include headaches, ear buzzing, dizziness, nausea, gastrointestinal disturbances, weakness, vertigo, chills, memory lapses, numbness and shooting pains in the extremities, behavioral disturbances, and neuritis. The most well known problems from methanol poisoning are vision problems including misty vision, progressive contraction of visual fields, blurring of vision, obscuration of vision, retinal damage, and blindness. Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen, causes retinal damage, interferes with DNA replication and causes birth defects.(10)

Due to the lack of a couple of key enzymes, humans are many times more sensitive to the toxic effects of methanol than animals. Therefore, tests of aspartame or methanol on animals do not accurately reflect the danger for humans. As pointed out by Dr. Woodrow C. Monte, director of the food science and nutrition laboratory at Arizona State University, "There are no human or mammalian studies to evaluate the possible mutagenic, teratogenic or carcinogenic effects of chronic administration of methyl alcohol."(11)

He was so concerned about the unresolved safety issues that he filed suit with the FDA requesting a hearing to address these issues. He asked the FDA to "slow down on this soft drink issue long enough to answer some of the important questions. It's not fair that you are leaving the full burden of proof on the few of us who are concerned and have such limited resources. You must remember that you are the American public's last defense. Once you allow usage (of aspartame) there is literally nothing I or my colleagues can do to reverse the course. Aspartame will then join saccharin, the sulfiting agents, and God knows how many other questionable compounds enjoined to insult the human constitution with governmental approval."(10) Shortly thereafter, the Commissioner of the FDA, Arthur Hull Hayes, Jr., approved the use of aspartame in carbonated beverages, he then left for a position with G.D. Searle's public relations firm.(11)

It has been pointed out that some fruit juices and alcoholic beverages contain small amounts of methanol. It is important to remember, however, that methanol never appears alone. In every case, ethanol is present, usually in much higher amounts. Ethanol is an antidote for methanol toxicity in humans.(9) The troops of Desert Storm were "treated" to large amounts of aspartame-sweetened beverages, which had been heated to over 86 degrees F in the Saudi Arabian sun. Many of them returned home with numerous disorders similar to what has been seen in persons who have been chemically poisoned by formaldehyde. The free methanol in the beverages may have been a contributing factor in these illnesses. Other breakdown products of aspartame such as DKP (discussed below) may also have been a factor.

In a 1993 act that can only be described as "unconscionable," the FDA approved aspartame as an ingredient in numerous food items that would always be heated to above 86 degree F (30 degree C).
Diketopiperazine (DKP)

DKP is a byproduct of aspartame metabolism. DKP has been implicated in the occurrence of brain tumors. Olney noticed that DKP, when nitrosated in the gut, produced a compound that was similar to N-nitrosourea, a powerful brain tumor causing chemical. Some authors have said that DKP is produced after aspartame ingestion. I am not sure if that is correct. It is definitely true that DKP is formed in liquid aspartame-containing products during prolonged storage.

G.D. Searle conducted animal experiments on the safety of DKP. The FDA found numerous experimental errors occurred, including "clerical errors, mixed-up animals, animals not getting drugs they were supposed to get, pathological specimens lost because of improper handling," and many other errors.(12) These sloppy laboratory procedures may explain why both the test and control animals had sixteen times more brain tumors than would be expected in experiments of this length.

In an ironic twist, shortly after these experimental errors were discovered, the FDA used guidelines recommended by G.D. Searle to develop the industry-wide FDA standards for good laboratory practices.(11)

DKP has also been implicated as a cause of uterine polyps and changes in blood cholesterol by FDA Toxicologist Dr. Jacqueline Verrett in her testimony before the U.S. Senate.(13)

Boatnut
03-02-2011, 08:16 PM
another reason I drink Molson's :)

walleyejim1216
03-02-2011, 11:44 PM
I must admit, I have two horrible addictions! Smokes, and Diet Coke! Pack and a half to 2 packs a day and 12 to 20 cans of Diet Coke! I just recently switched to 2 liters and drink 2 of them a day! If I had to give up one tomorrow I truly think I could quit the smokes easier! Oh well I guess I could be addicted to crack and whiskey! We all gotta go somehow!

rbsangler
03-03-2011, 05:13 AM
I must admit, I have two horrible addictions! Smokes, and Diet Coke! Pack and a half to 2 packs a day and 12 to 20 cans of Diet Coke! I just recently switched to 2 liters and drink 2 of them a day! If I had to give up one tomorrow I truly think I could quit the smokes easier! Oh well I guess I could be addicted to crack and whiskey! We all gotta go somehow!
That's completely correct Jim, now if these Know-it-all do gooders would just let us alone to enjoy our lives as we choose to, it would be Nirvana.

3M TA3
03-03-2011, 05:51 AM

REW

According to who? I eat 2 oranges and 1/2 a grapefruit every day. How much citric acid is in a MT DEW and how much is in an Orange. I want to lose some weight but haven't shed a pound in a long long time. Please. Shed some light on this. Thanks

REG
03-03-2011, 06:41 AM
I always said that Dr Pepper was my cocaine. I would even have one with breakfast and be a very happy guy. But I've got to lose some weight so I went cold turkey last Thanksgiving. No pop no more.

I weigh less, feel better, and don't miss it a bit now. Just drink ice water.

I'm not saying anyone else should or shouldn't give it up - but it will make a big difference if you're trying to lose some weight.

jigngrub
03-03-2011, 06:53 AM
-10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system, which is 100 percent of your recommended daily intake. You'd normally vomit from such an intake, but the phosphoric acid cuts the flavor

Your first fact is in error, there is only 150 calories in a 12 oz. can of soda and sugar is 32 calories per teaspoonfull... that's 5 teaspoons of sugar per soda.

I'm skeptical of the rest of your facts based on the first fact being incorrect... yes, sodas are bad... but blowing the facts out of proportion is bad too.

However
03-03-2011, 11:09 AM
I checked several nutrition sites and they all say within 1 or two teaspoons full of what tthe first post says. Remember that one TABLEspoonful equals 3 TEAspoonsful..

Note the 91,000 calories they mention at the end of this,.equals 26 pounds, of fat..Now if a guy gains 26 pounds in a year, well you think he has let himself go some, but what if he does that in year two? then year 3? and so on,..and its probably easier to gain the next's years poundage as that guys metabolism is effected, he probably is not moving as much at that wt etc.

From another site: EYE ON NUTRITION

A lot of food has sugar naturally, like fruits, veggies, and whole grains. And then there's a lot of food and drinks that have a ton of added sugar - like pop. And the U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends that based on a 2,000 calorie diet, you should limit your added sugars to about 10 teaspoons, or 40 grams. Here's how it breaks down, one teaspoon of sugar is four grams. One tablespoon of sugar is equal to three teaspoons, or, you guessed it, 12 grams. So, what does that mean for your pop?

It depends on what kind your drinking. All of these figures are based on a 12 oz. can of soda (not a 20 oz. bottle) Pepsi has 41 grams of sugar, or 3.4 tablespoons. Coke and 7Up? 39 grams of sugar, or 3.3 tablespoons. And what about Mountain Dew and A&W Root Beer? 46 grams of sugar, or 3.8 tablespoons. Dr. Pepper? 40 grams, 3.3 tablespoons. And Orange Slice? 50 grams of sugar, or 4.2 tablespoons.

How much sugar is that really? Well, there's 16 tablespoons in a cup. Let's use Coke and 7Up as an example. Say you drink one can of pop every day, that's more than 23 tablespoons, or almost a cup and a half of sugar! And what about a month? Over six cups of sugar! Do you even want to hear about a year? We'll tell you just in case . . .75 and a quarter cups of sugar!!!

And what if you drink a 20 oz. bottle of pop a day, and not a can? It's 5.5 tablespoons a day instead of 3.3. That's 2.4 cups a week, and 10.3 cups a month.

A year? More than 125 cups of sugar! In case you're curious, that's about 91,000 calories!

Cougar
03-03-2011, 12:06 PM
The heck with the food police. If I want to enjoy a coke and a smoke I will. I will enjoy life now instead of "waiting" until I'm laying in a stench filled nursing home filling my Depends. Hopefully I won't live that long.

sugar
03-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Your first fact is in error, there is only 150 calories in a 12 oz. can of soda and sugar is 32 calories per teaspoonfull... that's 5 teaspoons of sugar per soda.

I'm skeptical of the rest of your facts based on the first fact being incorrect... yes, sodas are bad... but blowing the facts out of proportion is bad too.

There are, in fact, only 16 calories per teaspoon of sugar.

rbsangler
03-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Aspartame is, by far, the most dangerous substance on the market that is added to foods.

Aspartame is the technical name for the brand names NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, and Equal-Measure. It was discovered by accident in 1965 when James Schlatter, a chemist of G.D. Searle Company, was testing an anti-ulcer drug.
What you don’t know WILL hurt you. Find out the dangerous effects of artificial sweeteners to your health.

Aspartame was approved for dry goods in 1981 and for carbonated beverages in 1983. It was originally approved for dry goods on July 26, 1974, but objections filed by neuroscience researcher Dr John W. Olney and Consumer attorney James Turner in August 1974 as well as investigations of G.D. Searle's research practices caused the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to put approval of aspartame on hold (December 5, 1974). In 1985, Monsanto purchased G.D. Searle and made Searle Pharmaceuticals and The NutraSweet Company separate subsidiaries.

Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA. Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death.(1) A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include: Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain.

According to researchers and physicians studying the adverse effects of aspartame, the following chronic illnesses can be triggered or worsened by ingesting of aspartame:(2) Brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, parkinson's disease, alzheimer's, mental retardation, lymphoma, birth defects, fibromyalgia, and diabetes.

Aspartame is made up of three chemicals: aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol. The book "Prescription for Nutritional Healing," by James and Phyllis Balch, lists aspartame under the category of "chemical poison." As you shall see, that is exactly what it is.
What Is Aspartame Made Of?
Aspartic Acid (40 percent of Aspartame)

Dr. Russell L. Blaylock, a professor of neurosurgery at the Medical University of Mississippi, recently published a book thoroughly detailing the damage that is caused by the ingestion of excessive aspartic acid from aspartame. Blaylock makes use of almost 500 scientific references to show how excess free excitatory amino acids such as aspartic acid and glutamic acid (about 99 percent of monosodium glutamate (MSG) is glutamic acid) in our food supply are causing serious chronic neurological disorders and a myriad of other acute symptoms.(3)
How Aspartate (and Glutamate) Cause Damage

aspartateAspartate and glutamate act as neurotransmitters in the brain by facilitating the transmission of information from neuron to neuron. Too much aspartate or glutamate in the brain kills certain neurons by allowing the influx of too much calcium into the cells. This influx triggers excessive amounts of free radicals, which kill the cells. The neural cell damage that can be caused by excessive aspartate and glutamate is why they are referred to as "excitotoxins." They "excite" or stimulate the neural cells to death.

Aspartic acid is an amino acid. Taken in its free form (unbound to proteins) it significantly raises the blood plasma level of aspartate and glutamate. The excess aspartate and glutamate in the blood plasma shortly after ingesting aspartame or products with free glutamic acid (glutamate precursor) leads to a high level of those neurotransmitters in certain areas of the brain.

The blood brain barrier (BBB), which normally protects the brain from excess glutamate and aspartate as well as toxins, 1) is not fully developed during childhood, 2) does not fully protect all areas of the brain, 3) is damaged by numerous chronic and acute conditions, and 4) allows seepage of excess glutamate and aspartate into the brain even when intact.

The excess glutamate and aspartate slowly begin to destroy neurons. The large majority (75 percent or more) of neural cells in a particular area of the brain are killed before any clinical symptoms of a chronic illness are noticed. A few of the many chronic illnesses that have been shown to be contributed to by long-term exposure to excitatory amino acid damage include:

* Multiple sclerosis (MS)
* ALS
* Memory loss
* Hormonal problems
* Hearing loss
* Epilepsy
* Alzheimer's disease

* Parkinson's disease
* Hypoglycemia
* AIDS
* Dementia
* Brain lesions
* Neuroendocrine disorders

The risk to infants, children, pregnant women, the elderly and persons with certain chronic health problems from excitotoxins are great. Even the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB), which usually understates problems and mimics the FDA party-line, recently stated in a review that:

"It is prudent to avoid the use of dietary supplements of L-glutamic acid by pregnant women, infants, and children. The existence of evidence of potential endocrine responses, i.e., elevated cortisol and prolactin, and differential responses between males and females, would also suggest a neuroendocrine link and that supplemental L-glutamic acid should be avoided by women of childbearing age and individuals with affective disorders."(4)

Aspartic acid from aspartame has the same deleterious effects on the body as glutamic acid.

The exact mechanism of acute reactions to excess free glutamate and aspartate is currently being debated. As reported to the FDA, those reactions include:(5)
aspartame effect

* Headaches/migraines
* Nausea
* Abdominal pains
* Fatigue (blocks sufficient glucose entry into brain)
* Sleep problems
* Vision problems
* Anxiety attacks
* Depression
* Asthma/chest tigShtness.

One common complaint of persons suffering from the effect of aspartame is memory loss. Ironically, in 1987, G.D. Searle, the manufacturer of aspartame, undertook a search for a drug to combat memory loss caused by excitatory amino acid damage. Blaylock is one of many scientists and physicians who are concerned about excitatory amino acid damage caused by ingestion of aspartame and MSG.

A few of the many experts who have spoken out against the damage being caused by aspartate and glutamate include Adrienne Samuels, Ph.D., an experimental psychologist specializing in research design. Another is Olney, a professor in the department of psychiatry, School of Medicine, Washington University, a neuroscientist and researcher, and one of the world's foremost authorities on excitotoxins. (He informed Searle in 1971 that aspartic acid caused holes in the brains of mice.)
Phenylalanine (50 percent of aspartame)
Don’t let artificial sweeteners fool you! Order now and find out the risks of using aspartame.

Phenylalanine is an amino acid normally found in the brain. Persons with the genetic disorder phenylketonuria (PKU) cannot metabolize phenylalanine. This leads to dangerously high levels of phenylalanine in the brain (sometimes lethal). It has been shown that ingesting aspartame, especially along with carbohydrates, can lead to excess levels of phenylalanine in the brain even in persons who do not have PKU.

This is not just a theory, as many people who have eaten large amounts of aspartame over a long period of time and do not have PKU have been shown to have excessive levels of phenylalanine in the blood. Excessive levels of phenylalanine in the brain can cause the levels of seratonin in the brain to decrease, leading to emotional disorders such as depression. It was shown in human testing that phenylalanine levels of the blood were increased significantly in human subjects who chronically used aspartame.(6)

Even a single use of aspartame raised the blood phenylalanine levels. In his testimony before the U.S. Congress, Dr. Louis J. Elsas showed that high blood phenylalanine can be concentrated in parts of the brain and is especially dangerous for infants and fetuses. He also showed that phenylalanine is metabolised much more effeciently by rodents than by humans.(7)

One account of a case of extremely high phenylalanine levels caused by aspartame was recently published the "Wednesday Journal" in an article titled "An Aspartame Nightmare." John Cook began drinking six to eight diet drinks every day. His symptoms started out as memory loss and frequent headaches. He began to crave more aspartame-sweetened drinks. His condition deteriorated so much that he experienced wide mood swings and violent rages. Even though he did not suffer from PKU, a blood test revealed a phenylalanine level of 80 mg/dl. He also showed abnormal brain function and brain damage. After he kicked his aspartame habit, his symptoms improved dramatically.(8)

As Blaylock points out in his book, early studies measuring phenylalanine buildup in the brain were flawed. Investigators who measured specific brain regions and not the average throughout the brain notice significant rises in phenylalanine levels. Specifically the hypothalamus, medulla oblongata, and corpus striatum areas of the brain had the largest increases in phenylalanine. Blaylock goes on to point out that excessive buildup of phenylalanine in the brain can cause schizophrenia or make one more susceptible to seizures.

Therefore, long-term, excessive use of aspartame may provid a boost to sales of seratonin reuptake inhibitors such as Prozac and drugs to control schizophrenia and seizures.
Methanol (aka wood alcohol/poison) (10 percent of aspartame)

Methanol/wood alcohol is a deadly poison. Some people may remember methanol as the poison that has caused some "skid row" alcoholics to end up blind or dead. Methanol is gradually released in the small intestine when the methyl group of aspartame encounter the enzyme chymotrypsin.

The absorption of methanol into the body is sped up considerably when free methanol is ingested. Free methanol is created from aspartame when it is heated to above 86 Fahrenheit (30 Centigrade). This would occur when aspartame-containing product is improperly stored or when it is heated (e.g., as part of a "food" product such as Jello).

methanolMethanol breaks down into formic acid and formaldehyde in the body. Formaldehyde is a deadly neurotoxin. An EPA assessment of methanol states that methanol "is considered a cumulative poison due to the low rate of excretion once it is absorbed. In the body, methanol is oxidized to formaldehyde and formic acid; both of these metabolites are toxic." They recommend a limit of consumption of 7.8 mg/day. A one-liter (approx. 1 quart) aspartame-sweetened beverage contains about 56 mg of methanol. Heavy users of aspartame-containing products consume as much as 250 mg of methanol daily or 32 times the EPA limit.(9)

Symptoms from methanol poisoning include headaches, ear buzzing, dizziness, nausea, gastrointestinal disturbances, weakness, vertigo, chills, memory lapses, numbness and shooting pains in the extremities, behavioral disturbances, and neuritis. The most well known problems from methanol poisoning are vision problems including misty vision, progressive contraction of visual fields, blurring of vision, obscuration of vision, retinal damage, and blindness. Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen, causes retinal damage, interferes with DNA replication and causes birth defects.(10)

Due to the lack of a couple of key enzymes, humans are many times more sensitive to the toxic effects of methanol than animals. Therefore, tests of aspartame or methanol on animals do not accurately reflect the danger for humans. As pointed out by Dr. Woodrow C. Monte, director of the food science and nutrition laboratory at Arizona State University, "There are no human or mammalian studies to evaluate the possible mutagenic, teratogenic or carcinogenic effects of chronic administration of methyl alcohol."(11)

He was so concerned about the unresolved safety issues that he filed suit with the FDA requesting a hearing to address these issues. He asked the FDA to "slow down on this soft drink issue long enough to answer some of the important questions. It's not fair that you are leaving the full burden of proof on the few of us who are concerned and have such limited resources. You must remember that you are the American public's last defense. Once you allow usage (of aspartame) there is literally nothing I or my colleagues can do to reverse the course. Aspartame will then join saccharin, the sulfiting agents, and God knows how many other questionable compounds enjoined to insult the human constitution with governmental approval."(10) Shortly thereafter, the Commissioner of the FDA, Arthur Hull Hayes, Jr., approved the use of aspartame in carbonated beverages, he then left for a position with G.D. Searle's public relations firm.(11)

It has been pointed out that some fruit juices and alcoholic beverages contain small amounts of methanol. It is important to remember, however, that methanol never appears alone. In every case, ethanol is present, usually in much higher amounts. Ethanol is an antidote for methanol toxicity in humans.(9) The troops of Desert Storm were "treated" to large amounts of aspartame-sweetened beverages, which had been heated to over 86 degrees F in the Saudi Arabian sun. Many of them returned home with numerous disorders similar to what has been seen in persons who have been chemically poisoned by formaldehyde. The free methanol in the beverages may have been a contributing factor in these illnesses. Other breakdown products of aspartame such as DKP (discussed below) may also have been a factor.

In a 1993 act that can only be described as "unconscionable," the FDA approved aspartame as an ingredient in numerous food items that would always be heated to above 86 degree F (30 degree C).
Diketopiperazine (DKP)

DKP is a byproduct of aspartame metabolism. DKP has been implicated in the occurrence of brain tumors. Olney noticed that DKP, when nitrosated in the gut, produced a compound that was similar to N-nitrosourea, a powerful brain tumor causing chemical. Some authors have said that DKP is produced after aspartame ingestion. I am not sure if that is correct. It is definitely true that DKP is formed in liquid aspartame-containing products during prolonged storage.

G.D. Searle conducted animal experiments on the safety of DKP. The FDA found numerous experimental errors occurred, including "clerical errors, mixed-up animals, animals not getting drugs they were supposed to get, pathological specimens lost because of improper handling," and many other errors.(12) These sloppy laboratory procedures may explain why both the test and control animals had sixteen times more brain tumors than would be expected in experiments of this length.

In an ironic twist, shortly after these experimental errors were discovered, the FDA used guidelines recommended by G.D. Searle to develop the industry-wide FDA standards for good laboratory practices.(11)

DKP has also been implicated as a cause of uterine polyps and changes in blood cholesterol by FDA Toxicologist Dr. Jacqueline Verrett in her testimony before the U.S. Senate.(13)
All that typing is gonna give you Carple Tunnel syndrome, too bad it will go largly unread as well.

SdDoc
03-03-2011, 08:42 PM
I can't begin to think of the number of cavities i have filled in 18 years of dentistry caused by suger pop. To this day i can not say i can relate any cavities to beer. Soda both diet and sweet contain acid which is hard on teeth. Phosphoric acid found in soda is believed to hamper calcium uptake in females which can lead to osteoporosis. Its really hard to beat good old water. Doc

walleyejim1216
03-03-2011, 10:31 PM
I guess I'm going to have to quit the Diet Coke! Why you say? Well I sure didn't know I could get AIDS from drinking Diet Coke! But now I have read a really great article on Walleye flippn Central And now realize that there is a good chance I have Aids from all the assperwhatever I have ingested over the years! Heck I really might as well been a crack hoe! You get AIDS from both but being a hoe would probably of been a lot funner! JUST SAYN!!!

glutamine
03-04-2011, 05:28 AM
Walleye jim:
Well now It doesn't say that Diet coke does that, you are misinterpreting that from the point that the some of the damage of AIDS comes from excitatory amino acids like glutamime. That in some people exitatory aminio acids cause neuro damage. Its been a target of Neuroscientists studing ALS or Lou Gehrigs disease for a few years now. They know there is a link but they don't know why some people not others react to glutamine. Just sayin.

chris22
03-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Well yeah, those food police and all. You certainly can choose to smoke and eat junk, but as far as the nursing home, you either don't see many old male smokers or the ones you see them there at a pretty young age. So if it feels good do it huh?,..like the old hippy mantra. The problem is there are consequences on anything we do. I have/had a good friend that wouldn't be told what to do. There were no laws but plenty of advice of wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle. He has been in a nursing home now for a bit over 30 years. Not sure what nursing home costs were 30 years ago but I understand now its now about 65,000 a year where he is. So we have paid about a million dolls or more so far in his care? Not too mention what we pay directly and indirectly in extra health care premiums. My favorite uncle had the same mantra "ya gotta die of something" a pretty heavy smoker and at age 43 suffered a stroke and hung on for about 15 years eating pablum fed by a tough nursing attendant.Placed a lot of stress and misery for his family besides.

Yea we don't like to be told what to do.

I usta drink a lot of soda, now after switching to seltzer, I can't stand the stuff. Your tastes will change if you give it some time.

Cougar
03-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Sorry, still not convinced. By the way, if I end up in that situation and you end up footing the bill, thanks in advance. I appreciate it.

Edmond B
03-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Cougar, let me know, I may throw in a few bucks as a tip to your wife ,kids or attendant that changes your diapers when you are so disabled.

As far as whining about the nanny state/food police, well I have dropped my concerns about that/those. After dealing most of the day with the public, A little of that same, is probably keeping a lot of of them alive. But I am a curmudgeon, one of the last in my group, most are now long gone, some quite a while ago. Lots of smokers in that group, most didn't eat to healthy either,. Doubt if "I" can be convinced that bad habits doesn't catch up with you.
Soda is garbage, now when I go to interior Mexico, its amazing the amount of people that walk around with a bottle of COKE, that cost them equivalent of 80 cents and if they are lucky to work, might get 3-4 dollars a day!

Yep you can justify anything,esp under the heading of guilty pleasures, but its still junk.

Cougar
03-04-2011, 09:47 AM
I will do that, thanks.

Little buddy
03-04-2011, 02:19 PM
I still remember a guy crapping on me at work for smoking while he sucked down four cokes a night. When I showed him the math between my ciggs and his cokes he quit talking to me (Perfect). I quit smoking and he's still hooked on the nectar of the can. Doesn't really matter what you like, just don't do it too much. :happy:

teamlund
03-08-2011, 03:52 AM
day 3 of a soda free life.... :help:

Juls
03-08-2011, 05:07 AM
day 3 of a soda free life.... :help:

Good for you! I very seldom drink soda. I'm an "Arnold Palmer" kind of gal...that's half lemonade and half unsweetened Ice tea for those of you who don't know what an AP is... ;)

But, mostly I'm a skim milk drinker with my meals. I'd prefer the whole milk, but my butt says, "No way"! :D

When I indulge, I mix low fat chocolate milk with my skim...woohooo! Living large! hehehe

Juls

teamlund
03-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Good for you! I very seldom drink soda. I'm an "Arnold Palmer" kind of gal...that's half lemonade and half unsweetened Ice tea for those of you who don't know what an AP is... ;)

But, mostly I'm a skim milk drinker with my meals. I'd prefer the whole milk, but my butt says, "No way"! :D

When I indulge, I mix low fat chocolate milk with my skim...woohooo! Living large! hehehe

Juls

haha..thanks.. I already drink skim milk and I actually prefer it over the others. I made it through the day without a drop of soda. I am fine most of the day but its rough from about 9am-1pm which is when I would usually grab a 20 oz Mt dew from the vending machine at work......I can do this!

Hollis
03-09-2011, 04:45 AM
Try grabbing (take some with you) some seltzer. I know many in our office that used to be a soda addict now just do seltzer. I notice that people will say they don't care for seltzer at first but in two weeks they won't drink anything else (as far as a "break" drink) At first I didn't care for it very much and wondered why anyone would drink it. Of course water is probably best but seltzer (not club soda or tonic water) is just water and carbon dioxide. So feel that a bit of lemon or lime juice is good but I prefer the clean taste of the pure stuff.

I also purchased a SODA STREAM...pays for itself in a short time. It comes with flavors which I tossed out and I just do the regular stuff. and , don't have to deal with bottles, much cheaper etc. I got a commercial one for the office and I see that it gets a lot of use from our workers.

Hollis
03-09-2011, 04:49 AM
BTW here is a link to Soda stream. I would recommend the version that has the bigger gas cylinders . (there are two sizes,..the narrow ones don't hold nearly as much gas. The bigger ones will last me for months despite the fact that I use it for several bottles a day.

http://www.sodastreamusa.com/store.aspx?gclid=CNb4-bC0wacCFUXe4AodfXIeFg

Pig Pen
03-09-2011, 11:59 AM
I to used to drink Coke and Mt. Dew and think nothing about it. That was until I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes! You want to talk about a pain in the a$$. My whole life style has had to change. I have to take three different types of meds., poke myself 2 to 3 times a day to check my blood sugar levels, eat rabbit food and NO more Coke or Dew.

Trust me guys and gals, this is not a laughing matter. If I could pass on some advice, It would be to cut back now because once you have diabetes, there is no going back!! I was warned by my Dr. several years prior to me being diagnosed and I didn't follow his advice to cut back on the soda and junk food and now I am paying the price.

I don't want to preach, but PLEASE think about your choices............. You could be next!

Javelin360
03-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Great Thread...! Because of this thread I too eliminated Soda from my diet last week. I was drinking 4-5 per day of Diet MT Dew to Coke Zero. It gets real hard at lunch as I would often drink two.

teamlund
03-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Great Thread...! Because of this thread I too eliminated Soda from my diet last week. I was drinking 4-5 per day of Diet MT Dew to Coke Zero. It gets real hard at lunch as I would often drink two.

Today was day 4 for me and so far it has seemed like everyday that goes by it gets easier.........I didnt even think about a soda today but I was only a 1 or 2 sodas a day guy (20oz)......I work with a guy that will kick a 12 pack a day....

My water intake has doubled and so far my back doenst bother me as much. I have been sleeping better also.

Pistol pete
03-15-2011, 06:38 AM
Great subject! I might add don't think switching to diet sodas is the answer. Not only is there growing evidence of these artificial sweeteners being bad for you, one thing well established is the more recent studies that they effect your brain to tell the body to release more insulin as it fools the brain that lots O sugar has come into the body. The spike of insulin makes more more hungry in the long run for sweets and starches. One of my tenants must weigh over 30 lbs,..the amt of diet soda bottles on her back porch to go to recycling is amazing each week.

Here is an interesting piece from a Barron's website.

its about certain food addictions in general,insulin boat rocking etc.

Ever wonder why it's so difficult to resist eating fattening food? We all know on an intellectual level the harmful effects it has on our bodies, yet for many people, cravings frequently outweigh common sense. Now, it seems there may be some scientific evidence behind this behavior.

In a study led by the Scripps Research Institute in Jupiter, Florida, Dr. Paul Kenny and his colleagues divided rats into three groups and then headed to the grocery store. "We basically bought all of the stuff that people really like -- Ding-Dongs, cheesecake, bacon, sausage, [chocolate frosting, pound cake] -- the stuff that you enjoy, but you really shouldn't eat too often," he said. They also bought healthy food. Each group of rats followed a different diet for 40 days. The rats in the first group ate healthy, regular rat food only. In the second group, the rats got healthy rat food plus an hour of access daily to junk food. The third group had unlimited access to both health food and junk -- like most humans do.

The rats that had access to the treats only an hour a day managed to cram most of their eating into that blissful hour, eschewing the rat food the rest of the time. Meanwhile, the third group of rats -- those who had round-the-clock access to treats -- quickly turned obese and demonstrated a strong preference for Ding Dongs and cheesecake and the like. But their food preferences weren't the only change the rats experienced.

The researchers found that the brain circuitry in the junk-food-gorging rats actually changed. The more high-fat treats the rats ate, the more they craved treats in the future -- the more treats it took on subsequent feedings for them to experience satisfaction. In other words, they developed "tolerance," just the way junkies and alcoholics do, needing more and more of the "junk-food substance" in order to achieve a pleasure "rush."

"It was quite profound," says study author Paul Kenny. "The reward-response effects in the junk-food rats were very similar to what we see with animals that use cocaine and heroin." The response became even more pronounced as the rats gained more weight. The fatty treats also seemed to lower levels of a dopamine receptor in the brain of the rats.

In humans, lowered levels of dopamine receptors lead to increased pleasure-seeking behavior. Under normal conditions, dopamine deprivation excites normal desire or motivation, but in the case of the rats, eating junk foods made the deprivation severe enough to drive the mild desire to pathological levels.

Perhaps the most shocking discovery of all, though, was the finding that the addicted rats absolutely refused regular food, even after their treats were taken away. They chose to starve rather than return to rat kibble. "They actually voluntarily starved themselves," Kenny said.

So, how do you break the cycle if you've found yourself addicted to fatty foods?

Realizing it could be an addiction is the first step. Treat the situation as you would if you were helping a friend or family member cope with an addiction to another substance. Remove all the "offending" foods from your home. Find alternatives that "trick" you into feeling satisfied. Try fruit for sweet cravings. Eat raisin bread instead of sweet breads and danishes. Find other other activities that keep you busy and enlist the help of friends and family to help get you through your weak moments. Just like any addiction or bad habit, the longer you've done it the more difficult it can be to change your behavior. Keep that in mind, and don't beat yourself up if you temporarily fall of the wagon.

Pistol pete
03-15-2011, 06:47 AM
BTW I also drink seltzer and have a SODASTREAM gizmo. its surely in the top ten things I ever brought!
Your tastes WILL change! If you do something for about 21 days it becomes a real shift in your cravings. I now love seltzer,and can't STAND the diet coke that I swear I was addicted to for all those years!
The whole family gets a lot of use from that gizmo. BTW you CAN buy an adapter to run it off a much larger cylinder even cheaper (much) and it goes for more than a year even with all its use. I too threw away all the flavors that originally came with the gadget..

MK cant log
03-15-2011, 08:19 AM
"We basically bought all of the stuff that people really like -- Ding-Dongs, cheesecake, bacon, sausage, [chocolate frosting, pound cake] -- the stuff that you enjoy, but you really shouldn't eat too often," he said. .

Think they need volunteers for human trials?

craig_m
03-15-2011, 01:24 PM
I use to be a Mt. Dew addict. Would drink at least 3 20oz. bottles a day. I started suffering from severe migraines and nothing I did seemed to help. The last time I went to the doc with a migraine, he noticed that I was severely de-hydrated and put me on an I-V for the day. Quit the dew that day and started drinking water at work and haven't had a migraine since. It was not a caffeine issue either. Still have my morning coffee and an occassional dew. Being properly hydrated also helps with joint lubrication among many other benefits.

Pistol pete
03-15-2011, 01:59 PM
to Craig-m
I'm going to guess it was the yellow dye,..I know that triggers it in a number of migraine sufferers., inc me . some Reds can do it too.
I remember drinking Crystal light lemon and thinking I was going to die and maybe wishing I would w/so much pain. Did it again with their Punch" flavor and something that Coke made for a while called RAZZEL..

Interesting with me in breathing OUT I could smell a chemical odor which I guess was outgassing from my blood.

What messes people up is that its not consistent, that is sometimes/most of the time you can get away with it. some of it is cumulative,.so that doing same/similar junk close together will trigger them. .

I think with the last one I have finally learned my lesson.