: Can I change the valve on an oxygen tank?

hawg
04-11-2011, 12:48 PM
I have a medical oxygen tank. It's not one of those dainty alluminum ones but a good heavy steel(?) one. Is it possible to change the valve to a regular welding type oxygen style, and if it is, where do get one? My local welding shop guy guessed I could do it but didn't know where to get a valve. I now have the perfect minnow transporting system but I need a tank and a friend gave me 2 great tanks but pilot style medical tanks.

hawg
04-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Forget this. I just talked to a welding company that told me yes you can do it, but no one will ever fill it for you. Safety concerns and liability.

Bill Krejca
04-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Years ago, maybe 60, my dad affixed a copper tube to an inner tube, somewhat flattened the other end, pumped up the inner tube (with a hand pump), and had a heck of an aerator.

Bill

REW
04-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Hawg,
You can't legally do it, but you can hire a company to do it, and to recertify the tank. You won't like the price but it can be done.

REW

Babamel2
04-12-2011, 06:47 AM
I would think it would also be possible to get a fitting that on one end fits your current tank, and the other end have the type of fitting you want. When it needs filling remove the fitting. It would still be original, and people would be willing to fill it,

AllenW
04-12-2011, 06:50 AM
Not famililar with the medical tanks and just curious, what's wrong with the original valve???

Al

hawg
04-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Allen-there are 2 types of regulators that fit medical oxygen, neither will fit a regulator you use for acetalyne. I always say welding but mean acetalyne oxygen. Not a lot of difference in cost of oxygen but to hook up a medical regulator I also need a flow meter and pretty soon you have hoses and mickey mouse stuff. Anybody thinking of an oxygen system for boats or bait tanks should talk to Keep Alive. I called Aquatic Eco Systems, which is where many bait dealers buy their equipment, and they said his was the best small system out there. They may even start handling them because they get so many calls from fisherman.

perchjerker
04-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Allen-there are 2 types of regulators that fit medical oxygen, neither will fit a regulator you use for acetalyne. I always say welding but mean acetalyne oxygen. Not a lot of difference in cost of oxygen but to hook up a medical regulator I also need a flow meter and pretty soon you have hoses and mickey mouse stuff. Anybody thinking of an oxygen system for boats or bait tanks should talk to Keep Alive. I called Aquatic Eco Systems, which is where many bait dealers buy their equipment, and they said his was the best small system out there. They may even start handling them because they get so many calls from fisherman.

what?

acetalyne oxygen?

there are 2 gasses used in welding. Oxygen and Acetelyne. You cannot switch the regulators for obivous reasons

Its not one type of gas...

dont mess with an oxygen tank....your scaring me man. They go off like missles

hawg
04-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Hey Pearchjerker, you are the master of research. How do you calculate litres in a 40 cubic foot oxygen tank. I can dispense oxygen at 1/16 litre, how long will a 40 cu ft tank last?
PS- I knew what I meant I was just scrambled on how to say it.

perchjerker
04-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Hey Pearchjerker, you are the master of research. How do you calculate litres in a 40 cubic foot oxygen tank. I can dispense oxygen at 1/16 litre, how long will a 40 cu ft tank last?
PS- I knew what I meant I was just scrambled on how to say it.

heck I dont know

I just take my tanks in and get them filled when the needle goes to "e"

atually it goes to 0 not to e

:o

AllenW
04-12-2011, 08:41 PM

Thanks.
Little confused as to why you want to use a acetylene reg on a oxygen tank (don't do it btw the pressures between the two tanks is pretty high and the acetylene reg won't handle oxygen pressures).

Years back I thought of using a oxygen tank but it looked like to much trouble, but if your going to transport it, beware of DOT regs and remember if the valve gets knocked off, they become missiles.

Personally I'd go with a battery (12 volt if possible) air pump if I was you.

Good luck either way, but be careful.

Al

hawg
04-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Allen, I did this post on a couple other sites when I thought it was just a simple valve switch. Problem I had was people know either medical(most) or regular oxygen gas(less)type for use on a torch and such. I confused the heck out of myself even, it's hard to explain. Most of the welding people knew what my meaning was, again just hard to explain. Even in looking for a valve everything on the internet usually comes up for medical use. Anyway thanks for the response. I have the slickest transporting system for minnows made now. I wouldn't need the extended time periods of keeping them alive if we didn't stop at soooo many watering holes. Our group usually takes about 2 gallons of shiners for a 4-5 hour ride, it's not an easy task. If any of you guys ever get up to Rainy or LOW you'll see why we take good minnows.

REW
04-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Allen,
I think you are missing the intent of his post.

He has a medical oxygen tank.

He has convient access to set up an oxygen system for his boat, using conventional fittngs that are normally used on welding oxygen tanks.

The problem is that medical oxygen tanks and welding oxygen tanks are different.

So, the question he has asked - can he replace his medical oxygen tank valve with a welding oxygen tank valve.

If I have misunderstood the problem, I apologize.

-------------------
If I needed a welding oxygen tank for use on an oxygen tank in a boat, I would simply go to a welding shop and rent it. Most welding companies rent oxygen and other welding gas tanks for a nominal fee as long a you use their services to refill the tanks.

You can sometimes find used tanks available for sale at welding supply houses as well.

Better to be safe than sorry.

REW

hawg
04-13-2011, 04:26 PM
You're right REW. But now the purists are going to get you. YOU DON'T USE OXYGEN FOR WELDING!!!! :bangin:

rks
04-15-2011, 01:02 AM
If you're just transporting minnows, I used to get shiners by the pound from a couple of places that would put the shiners in a big bag and fill it with oxygen from a welding tank. Lots of times it seemed there was more fish in the bag than water but they would last for days if kept cold.

AllenW
04-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Allen,
I think you are missing the intent of his post.

He has a medical oxygen tank.

He has convient access to set up an oxygen system for his boat, using conventional fittngs that are normally used on welding oxygen tanks.

The problem is that medical oxygen tanks and welding oxygen tanks are different.

So, the question he has asked - can he replace his medical oxygen tank valve with a welding oxygen tank valve.

If I have misunderstood the problem, I apologize.

-------------------
If I needed a welding oxygen tank for use on an oxygen tank in a boat, I would simply go to a welding shop and rent it. Most welding companies rent oxygen and other welding gas tanks for a nominal fee as long a you use their services to refill the tanks.

You can sometimes find used tanks available for sale at welding supply houses as well.

Better to be safe than sorry.

REW

I probably miss the intent of a lot of posts...:)

I did mention (I think) that I didn't know what fittings were on a medical tank, I do know what are on a welding tank and you can find adapters for just about anything. (insert use at your own risk here)

Personally it seems temp kills more minnows than oxygen depletion, just seems easier to add a bit of ice and a small 12v air pump than dragging a oxygen tank around, maybe the small portable tanks I see people using to breath might be easier though.

I don't think you said what size your gonna use and maybe I'm thinking to large..

This might help in figuring out with what size tank you'll get X amount of oxygen for x amount of time.

http://www.monroecc.edu/depts/pstc/backup/paraoxca.htm

Just wondering, if you have a medical tank, wouldn't the reg set up for people with breathing problems work?
Maybe find one used?
Most of them I see have a hose to the nose piece and once you go to a hose and low pressure, adapting should be easy.

To much stuff to use medical?
You'll still have to reg down from probably over 2000 psi to whatever you want the outlet pressure to be, I'd be supprised if you can find one adjustable reg to do it all and cheaply, plus whatever you use to hook the air line up to the tank.
imho

Sounds like a fun project, let us know how it goes.

Al