: Need Snell Knots Lesson 101

Chaz
06-06-2000, 08:58 AM
I would like to start tying my own snells and would like some suggestions on how to tie the knot and get the hooks evenly spaced.

Thanks.

Sunshine
06-06-2000, 09:00 AM
Use this site to see how it's done. It's easy after a few tries.

#####://fish4fun.com/snell.htm

Chad
06-06-2000, 01:06 PM
Use a #2 octopus hook. Take your line(3-5 feet)incert one end (tag end) into the eye and lay it along the shank of the hook. Hold the hook and line in your left hand. The tag end should be pinched between the hook and your finger.

Next, take the long end. Grab it about 2" above the hook. Wrap it tightly around the shank starting near the eye and work your way down wraping about 6 times. Make the wraps nice and tight but do not overlap. Lastly, take the end of the (oposite the tag)and push it thru the eye from underneath and pull everything tight.

For the 2nd hook just run the line thru the eye from underneath and then do the wraps and and finish thru the eye from underneath.

great knot. The 2nd hook always stays where you put it. there is no slack making you guess were it wil end up.

Once you have this down you can tie a 2 hook harness in under 10 seconds.

Gunga Din
06-06-2000, 02:32 PM
Isn't there a hook sneller you can buy? I'd like to buy one if anybody has any recommendations. I can tie the snell on the end of the line--it's the first hook on a spinner rig that I can't tie.

Fin Addict
06-06-2000, 09:51 PM
If you do it like Chad said, the lead hook is actually the easy one to tie in and he is accurate w/ the 10 seconds. Once you have the rear hook tied in, take the line and thread it through from the bottom til it is the proper distance from your rear hook. Wrap 5-6 times back around the shaft of the hook and line being careful not to overlap. Pinch tight,take the end of the line and run it up from the bottom again and slide tight. You should not need a tool to do this easily. Good luck! I'm still jealous of that rainbow you had in a picture posted some time back, very pretty fish!

Chaz
06-07-2000, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the snell information. It worked very ease and I got the hooks spaced evenly each time!

Jim/UT
06-08-2000, 08:43 AM
I used to tie mine this way and it is fast as you say, but mine would unravel if they went slack. From what I see in your instructions you don't run the line under any loops to hold it in place. I felt I had two options:

Drop of super glue to keep them from unraveling.

6 loops on the hook, then 3 loops around hook and a toothpick. Pull the toothpick, run the line from the back through the 3 loops and the hook eye.

Either works, but the toothpick method is slower. I can tie a 2 hook harness in about 1 minute this way. If you don't hold the loops tight while cinching it down, they can overlap each other and cut. Gently pull the knot tight to maintain the loops in the proper position. I have a board with two nail driven in it about 3 1/2 inches apart for hook spacing. I always put my hook around a nail and give it a steady pull to tighten the knot (wet it first). If the loops are properly aligned, it will cinch down cleanly. If not, the knot will pop easily and you have no doubt if the knot was good or bad. I can usually keep the two hooks pretty straight too.

I'm sure there are other methods, this works for me. I tie about 500-1000 a year. I haven't found a snell tool yet that didn't take forever, hard to maintain spacing and hook alignment.

Hope this helps!

Jim/UT
06-08-2000, 08:45 AM
I used to tie mine this way and it is fast as you say, but mine would unravel if they went slack. From what I see in your instructions you don't run the line under any loops to hold it in place. I felt I had two options:

Drop of super glue to keep them from unraveling.

6 loops on the hook, then 3 loops around hook and a toothpick. Pull the toothpick, run the line from the back through the 3 loops and the hook eye.

Either works, but the toothpick method is slower. I can tie a 2 hook harness in about 1 minute this way. If you don't hold the loops tight while cinching it down, they can overlap each other and cut. Gently pull the knot tight to maintain the loops in the proper position. I have a board with two nail driven in it about 3 1/2 inches apart for hook spacing. I always put my hook around a nail and give it a steady pull to tighten the knot (wet it first). If the loops are properly aligned, it will cinch down cleanly. If not, the knot will pop easily and you have no doubt if the knot was good or bad. I can usually keep the two hooks pretty straight too.

I'm sure there are other methods, this works for me. I tie about 500-1000 a year. I haven't found a snell tool yet that didn't take forever, hard to maintain spacing and hook alignment.

Hope this helps!

Roscoe
06-08-2000, 08:50 AM
I like to use a rudy's hook sneller. I'm not very good at tying snells without it, but with it I can tie very nice looking snells very fast. I bought mine from jann's netcraft for about $4.