: Humminbird 597 problem

trego
05-16-2011, 07:53 PM
I have a new Humminbird 597 ci hd di combo, and had it out for the first time this weekend. I was using it fishing walleyes in under 15 feet of water. It "jumped around" with both the depth reading and the scale it was using. I would be in 12 feet of water and it would jump to 54 ft., 75 ft., or whatever. And the scale would change from zero to 20, to zero to 60, to zero to 120, to zero to 80 etc. When it stayed at the zero to 20 ft. scale it was fine, but it didn't do that very often. It was all over the place. Became useless.

redgreenbob
05-16-2011, 08:37 PM
I have had issues like that with an improperly mounted transducer with portable units. Let me know if you find the issue. I have a 597 being put in the boat thursday...

Shellback
05-17-2011, 04:48 AM
I think there was a software update to correct that in some other units, not sure about yours. If you haven't already, go to the H/B site and register your unit. Make sure your unit has the latest software version.

rnnonmt
05-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Trego, When did you buy your 597ci hd di? I just bought one last weekend and havent had it out on the water yet. IMO you probably have to move the transducer to another location. Sounds like the xducer was bobbing in and out of the water possibly.

Trego
05-17-2011, 07:45 AM
The transducer is mounted on the bow mount trolling motor. It was not particularly wavy, and the motor was not coming out of the water. I've had a similar set-up with other locators, including Humminbird, and have not had this problem before.

rpieske
05-17-2011, 01:51 PM
I have had this problem in years past. I found that if I had the console depth finder on AND the front deck depth finder on at the same time I would experience some strange problems like these. Turn off the console unit and try it again. That may be the problem. There are fixes for that problem if that's what it is.

trego
05-17-2011, 03:11 PM
I didn't/don't have the console unit on when the problem occurs.

phowler
05-17-2011, 03:42 PM
You have a new Bird unit, I would be on the phone with Humminbird, they have great customer service.

trego
05-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Can you update your software with an SD card using a Mac? How?

Indybleck
05-18-2011, 07:45 AM
When you register with Huminbird don't they ask what operating system you are using? I think they do, but not sure. Make sure before you update your unit that you have reset all settings to factory default, then put the card and let it do its thing.

Bemidjiboy
05-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Hey guys. I was just about to post a similar thread, but here you are. I just returned my 597 with down imaging to one without (the sales guy hadn't told me that the downscan wouldn't work on the US2). I had a similar problem and was curious to see if the 597CI unit worked better. NO - just like you say, Trego - depth all over the place and horrible picture....UNLESS you turn off the trolling motor. So, it seems to be an interference problem as my rigging guy suspected. He showed me a little box (matchbox size) around which you have to wrap the transducer cable a few times or something like that. Says you can only get them from Humminbird (accoring to his rep). Weird stuff, but our issue seems to be the same: The US2 transducer isn't worth a crap when the Terrova is running. :banghead:
I don't like the idea of extra rigging for something that is supposed to work in the first place. Anybody from Johnson Outdoors listening??

1shooter
05-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Hey guys. I was just about to post a similar thread, but here you are. I just returned my 597 with down imaging to one without (the sales guy hadn't told me that the downscan wouldn't work on the US2). I had a similar problem and was curious to see if the 597CI unit worked better. NO - just like you say, Trego - depth all over the place and horrible picture....UNLESS you turn off the trolling motor. So, it seems to be an interference problem as my rigging guy suspected. He showed me a little box (matchbox size) around which you have to wrap the transducer cable a few times or something like that. Says you can only get them from Humminbird (accoring to his rep). Weird stuff, but our issue seems to be the same: The US2 transducer isn't worth a crap when the Terrova is running. :banghead:
I don't like the idea of extra rigging for something that is supposed to work in the first place. Anybody from Johnson Outdoors listening??

What is humminbird telling you?

Bemidjiboy
05-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Just sending them a note now. I'll let you know what they say. Though, it seems to be a trolling motor issue, but since the companies have the same owner, you'd think they'd be synced with all this....

HBirdDeborahCRC
05-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Hello from Humminbird! There are several things that can be done if you are getting interferance from your trolling motor.

Top three items to check when using a US2 Sonar

1) check the fuse in the trolling motor
2) loose US2 adapter near unit (make sure this connection is tight)
3) loose US2 connection in head of motor.(make sure this connection is tight)

We have several tips listed on our FAQ's (one being the below in regards to the US2 Sonar)

If you have a trolling motor that has Universal Sonar 2 you need to insure that the fuse in the head of your motor has not blown. A visual inspection will not suffice, you will need to check for continuity with a volt meter. If you do not know where the fuse is located in your trolling motor, you should be able to locate it in the exploded diagram of your trolling motor manual. This fuse is a 3-amp, mini automotive. If the fuse is blown, you should either contact (http://www.minnkotamotors.com/service/contact.aspx) MinnKota Customer Service or one of their many Authorized Service Centers (http://www.minnkotamotors.com/service/asclocator.aspx) across the US and Canada. Also make sure that the connections on the Universal Sonar Cable are properly tightened. If these connectors are not completely screwed in, noise can enter the unit from these openings.
Fuse location inside Motor Headhttp://www.humminbird.com/uploadedImages/Humminbird/Content/Support/FAQ/thumb_fuse.jpg (http://www.humminbird.com/FAQ.aspx?ContentId=1849#)
US2 Cable inside motor head http://www.humminbird.com/uploadedImages/Humminbird/Content/Support/FAQ/thumb_trollingmotorconnectors1.jpg (http://www.humminbird.com/FAQ.aspx?ContentId=1849#)
External US2 Cable the hooks up your unit adapter (http://www.humminbird.com/FAQ.aspx?ContentId=1849#)http://www.humminbird.com/uploadedImages/Humminbird/Content/Support/FAQ/thumb_trollingmotorconnectors2.jpg

You can find additional troubleshooting suggestions at the below link:

http://www.humminbird.com/FAQ.aspx?ContentId=1849

Thank you
Deborah @ Humminbird

Bemidjiboy
05-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Well, I guess I won't have to let you know what they said, then. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, Trego, but I suspect we have the same issue. Deborah, I'm glad you guys are following along here and thanks for the note. That's good practice. I'll follow the advice you listed here (though might take a few weeks to get that done), but I should point out that I heard another anecdote this morning at the dealership of the exact same problem with somebody else's unit. That got us wondering if there was something new about this generation of 500 units or the Terrovas. We'll see...

tmsmalley
05-19-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm having the issue with that same 597 ci HI DI combo unit -the depth readings / scale jumping all over the place when I run my old tiller Minnkota trolling motor on my 14 foot Alumacraft (with 25 hp Merc.) Arrrgh! (NOTE - I am using the transducer that came with the Humminbird unit and have it mounted on a separate bracket on the other side of the transom from my trolling motor.) Also getting some obvious trolling motor interference - solid color banding in the readout etc.

I called H'bird and talked to Julie. She had a few ideas to try - she said to be sure to run the software update (when I told her I had, she checked and said I have the most current version 5.470), run a second ground wire off the trolling motor, turn down the unit sensitivity, get the trolling motor cables and the depth finder wires as far apart as possible and get a separate battery just to run the unit. (!!!)

I am going to play with it this weekend. I'll let you know if anything works.

Very frustrating to plunk down a big chunk of money for a piece of equipment and having to mess with it to make it work... I just want to go fishing!

Tim Smalley
Minnesota

stumper1300
05-19-2011, 03:20 PM
As mentioned by the previous poster, it is a MUST that you are powering hte trolling motor and the sonar unit off seperate batteries. Using the
same battery will cause all kinds of interference problems.

Bemidjiboy
05-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Here's what Humminbird said to me in an email. First person to find a solution, post it so we can get back out there!

Thank you for contacting Humminbird Customer Service.

Trolling motor manufacturers are now able to produce a more efficient trolling
motor relative to power management. In doing so, the motors sometimes produce
electrical interference for the Depth Sounders. This interference can be
exhibited in several different ways:

*Random targets/pixels on the display, when the trolling motor is in use.

*Noise seen on the display, when the trolling motor is in use.

*The Depth Sounder turns off, when the trolling motor is in use.

*The Depth Sounder will stop operating, the display seemingly freezing, and
will not respond to any button/knob selections, when the trolling motor is in
use.

*Erratic depth readings when the trolling motor is in use.

*Loss of depth readings when the trolling motor is in use.

Follow the steps provided below to confirm and reduce this interference:

1. Power the Depth Sounder on in the Start Up mode (normal on the water
operational mode) with no other equipment or motors running. Confirm that the
interference is being produced by the trolling motor by establishing that the
interference only happens when the trolling motor is used. Some trolling
motors may only produce interference when used at certain speeds, so test at
as many speeds as possible.

2. Once trolling motor interference has been confirmed, you may need to
adjust your power connection to the battery as follows:

For boats that have a 24-volt or 36-volt trolling motor, confirm that the
depth sounder is either powered off of the bottom battery in the trolling
motor battery array, or (preferably) off the boat’s cranking battery. The
bottom battery is the one that powers the trolling motor when on the 12 volt
setting and should be the one that has the main negative lead for the motor
that connects from the 24 or 36-volt operation.

3. In those Humminbird products that have a Noise Filter in the Advanced
Sonar Menu, confirm that this is turned ON.

If this does not reduce the interference; please reply to this email or
contact our Customer Service Department at 1.800.633.1468 with the below
information:

1. If you have a unit with a card reader and image capture capabilities, it
would be helpful to email us a Screen Snapshot showing what the fishfinder
display looks like with the trolling motor running and while it is in the off
position.

2. Be in a position to tell the representative if the interference you are
experiencing is occurring on down looking sonar or side imaging sonar (if your
model is a side imaging unit) or on both types of sonar.

3. Be able to provide us with the complete fishfinder-related setup on the
boat such as:

* Which Fishfinder models are installed on the boat? * Where are the
transducers located for each unit? * What trolling motor Brand and model is on
the boat? * If you have two GPS capable Humminbird fishfinders on the boat are
you using either an Interlink or Systemlink to network GPS receivers on the
boat, etc? * the serial number to your Humminbird product

We apologize for the inconvenience regarding this issue. Please do not
hesitate to contact us.

Good Boating and Fishing!
Jeffery

trego
05-28-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm the one who started this post because of problems with my Humminbird 597 ci hd di combo mounted on my front bow mount elec. trolling motor. The depth and scale jump all over the place, making the unit pretty much useless. I have called and talked to Humminbird five times (they were very nice, and have tried to be helpful) but still no good. They've suggested setting the max. depth to just over my fishing depth, getting the latest software update, setting the noise to high three, and other things, but nothing has helped. It's getting very frustrating. I think I'm to the point that I don't want the unit anymore, and would like to exchange it for something else, like maybe a 788 without the DI. I can't call Humminbird now (Mem. weekend), but will as soon as I can-----probably Tuesday. I had a Humminbird 385 on my front bow mount all last year with you problem. I have a 788 on my console, again with no problem.

bus33
05-28-2011, 12:42 PM
I have the same problem with my 788 HD DI. I bought the unit new a month ago and updated the software. I have the transducer on my PD V2. I keep a consistent bottom reading on the graph but the readout in the upper left corner is all over the place.....trolling motor on or off. I have the unit powered through the cranking battery so that is not the issue. I am planning on calling HB this weekend.

My only other thought is the longer transducer on the DI is somehow being interfered with by the tiller or blades on the trolling motor.?

adidds
05-30-2011, 06:39 PM
I bought a used boat and am a lowrance guy. I thought the HB's would be no problem. I am having all of the same issues, the jumping of the depths and the side imaging hasn't been showing anything. The boat is an 07 and I told them to keep everything as the previous owner because I should be able to turn on and go. I miss my lowrances.

Bemidjiboy
05-30-2011, 09:07 PM
I exchanged the Down Scan 597 for the regular 597 one on my bow and the problem is exactly the same. Watch out Trego - I think this is an interference problem and would not be surprised to see it occur on all bow-mounted Humminbird units at the moment. Hope we can get it figured out soon because I have mine sitting, disconnected in the bow storage. If I have to take it back to Reeds again, it won't be for an exchange - it will be for a refund.

Canga~
05-31-2011, 02:31 PM
i bought the 597 ci HD di last week, mounted it on the console, transducer on the transom. powered it off the cranking battery. and have had no problems what-so-ever. works great with the trolling motor running (granted, its a little older model trolling motor, could have something to do with it) but im loving the unit.

Bemidjiboy
05-31-2011, 02:47 PM
I love my 898 unit on the console as well! Judging by the messages I've seen and the conversations I've had around here, I think the issue is trolling motor interference for bow mounted units, hooked up to the US2. I bought Humminbirds almost entirely because they seem to have a good customer service reputation, so I'm eager to see them live up to it here. Lots of people are clearly having the same issue and we shouldn't have to lift a finger to get $500-plus units to work properly.

bdsd
05-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Bought new navigator with minnkota fortrex and US2; used older lowrance with US2 on bow and put new humminbird 597 ci HD DI on transom and wired it direct to outboard starting battery- each time I started trolling motor it blew the humminbird up - as previously stated jumped all over the place - took back to dealer and they pulled the deck checking for bad internal wiring - nothing found - set a deparate battery on the back deck and the problem went away; was told to buy a separate battery for the depthfinder - did this and put the battery in the other back compartment, and wired humminbird direct to it - started trolling motor and it blew out again - then set battery on deck and all was fine ( deck is carpeted and battery well is vinyl ) then I lined the battery well with rubber mat and depthfinder works fine with the trolling motor running; guess I'm going to have to run with 4 batteries

trego
05-31-2011, 08:31 PM
I talked to Humminbird again, and now they are sending me a new power cord with a noise filter in it. I told them I have been trying all of the things they have been suggesting (latest software, lower the max depth, set noise to high 3,etc.) and none of these have worked. They said they have a list they have to go through. But I've been wasting a lot of fishing time with a unit that doesn't work. I am starting to get very frustrated.

TAP1
06-03-2011, 04:00 PM
I just had my new 597 ci HD DI unit on the water for the first time last weekend. I experienced the depth jumping around at times too. A couple of times I shut it down and restarted it to get it to show the correct depth.

I still have my old Lowrance unit on my boat too, and it was rock solid. Yes, I did have both units running at times, but even with the Lowrance, trolling motor, gas motor, and everything else shut down, the 597's depth would jump around occasionally, at about the same rate as when I was running other things. It was not a trip killer, but was somewhat annoying.

Both units were hooked up to my cranking battery. My trolling motor is hooked up to a separate battery and that whole circuit is on the other side of the boat.

I hope to sort this out as I like everything else about the 597 DI.

bus33
06-03-2011, 06:28 PM
I exchanged the Down Scan 597 for the regular 597 one on my bow and the problem is exactly the same. Watch out Trego - I think this is an interference problem and would not be surprised to see it occur on all bow-mounted Humminbird units at the moment. Hope we can get it figured out soon because I have mine sitting, disconnected in the bow storage. If I have to take it back to Reeds again, it won't be for an exchange - it will be for a refund.

I think this is absolutely the problem. My 788 DI jumps around when my PDV2 w/I-pilot is plugged in (not even on...just plugged in. When I unplug the trolling motor all is well.

Bemidjiboy
06-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Well, I'm glad to see the thread again, because I had something to add just today. I spoke with my rigging guy and asked him if he'd hooked my unit to the trolling battery (a no-no, according to Humminbird) or the cranking battery. No frigging way, he says, would he hook it up to the trolling battery. So, it looks like that ain't the issue. When I told him that there seem to be a few of us out there experiencing the same problem, he said that a certain percentage of units have that problem with the trolling motor. Humminbird, he tells me, has an "isolator" that they can fix you up with that would take care of the problem and they don't advertise that this is available - I would imagine because it's an issue with a limited number of units and that they aren't eager to acknowledge it. It would be disappointing if that were the case. This whole thing sort of accidentally raises another issue: if we have a remote on the iPilot, do we REALLY need a bow mount unit? I find myself wandering back and forth in my boat with the remote in my pocket all the time, rarely sitting in the bow at all now. Since I'm not happy with the idea of a "fix" for something that should be working perfectly, my unit might end up back at Reeds and I may pick up a few extra rods on my way out...

johnsb31
06-04-2011, 07:44 AM
I also have a 597ci mounted at the bow but hooked up to its own transducer. It jumps around too but i noticed yesterday that when i turned on the big motor and kept the trolling motor in the water while motoring to the next spot the depthfinder was working perfectly but when i stopped and shut the big motor down it started to jump around again.

What does this mean? I'm getting frustrated with this not working.

uglystik
06-04-2011, 08:13 AM
did you have it on it own battery on my 788 I had it hooked up to my trolling motor battery and when the moter was on it jumped around like yours

uglystik
06-04-2011, 11:19 AM
make sure you have it on its own battery

bus33
06-05-2011, 08:36 AM

It's not on it's own battery but it is on the cranking battery, not the 24v TM batteries.

Javelin360
06-05-2011, 08:45 AM
It's not on it's own battery but it is on the cranking battery, not the 24v TM batteries.

It should be fine on a cranking battery. Both of my HB 788's are on the cranking battery and I don't have any issues like this. I have other issues with these units but it is in another post. I can't imagine you would have to have a seperate battery just for the fish finder. If so, I know what I would do with this unit.
:horsepoop:

Tim_Kelly
06-05-2011, 11:56 AM
My 580 sometimes jumps around on the numbers reading the depth (ie 4ft, 7ft etc) though the picture stays constant. I turn off the auto depth range setting, because that can cause the screen to jump, especially if you're over a thick clumpy weed bottom. Also, turning the sensitivity down a bit helps. If it's too high it reads the weed as the bottom, so can jump up and down with the weed.

Not really a problem, but just something I get used to doing. Never had a depth sounder that didn't do that to some extent.

johnsb31
06-06-2011, 08:14 AM

I have mine hooked up to the cranking battery... tried it out this weekend and the thing still jumps...tried to change the depth range and sonar sensitivity and noise reduction..still does it. I turned off the trolling motor and unplugged it = still jumps.

But if I keep the bowmount in the water and start driving with the big motor it starts to work fine. How could this be?

thanks guys but the end of the road is near for this unit.:censored:

Tim_Kelly
06-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Try turning down the chart speed. If it's stable when you're going at some speed with the main motor, it might just be acting up at slower speeds when the bottom isn't changing much. If you slow down the chart speed it might compensate? Worth a try.

johnsb31
06-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Try turning down the chart speed. If it's stable when you're going at some speed with the main motor, it might just be acting up at slower speeds when the bottom isn't changing much. If you slow down the chart speed it might compensate? Worth a try.

Genius! i will try it tomorrow.

Bemidjiboy
06-07-2011, 06:01 AM
In terms of the units hooked up to the trolling motor, has anybody contacted or considered contacting Minn-Kota? I wonder how much responsibility they should have with all this...

trego
06-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Johnson outdoors owns Humminbird and Minnkota. Same company.

Bemidjiboy
06-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Yes, but you can't call Humminbird and talk about the trolling motor. Though the engineers might be working together (and I hope they are), and the company is owned by Johnson (on paper), you still need to contact them separately if you have service issues - no?

Tim_Kelly
06-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Did altering the chart speed help?

Trego
06-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I talked to Humminbird again, and now they are sending me a new power cord with a noise filter in it. I told them I have been trying all of the things they have been suggesting (latest software, lower the max depth, set noise to high 3,etc.) and none of these have worked. They said they have a list they have to go through. But I've been wasting a lot of fishing time with a unit that doesn't work. I am starting to get very frustrated.

I installed the new power cord and still the same problem. I called Humminbird again, they said they have a new software update they want me to install. I will try that and see if that will do it. The people at Humminbird have been very nice, and are trying to solve the problem, but-------------

LWinches
06-10-2011, 06:01 AM
I’ve had these kinds of problems over the years, trolling motor interference, and at times some of the tips and tricks will work. It is a quirky problem as some trolling motor-fishfinder combinations interfere on some boats and not on others. It happens on boats with both Minn-Kota and Motorguide trolling motors. It occurs most often with trolling motors that use the newer “battery saving” technology. These motors use switching circuitry that when it they are on, they actually turn off and on many times per second which apparently saves power compared to older switches, but produces interference. For example, the Maxxum models do this while the Edge units do not. Two things I’ve tried that helped the most were to run a separate ground wire from the body of the trolling motor to the starting battery and connecting a ground wire from the trolling motor battery to the starting battery. Finally I called Minn-Kota and asked them if they made a trolling motor that would not produce fish finder interference. They said yes – the Edge. I pulled the Maxxum off and put a new Edge on. No more problems with Humminbird, Eagle, Lowrance, or Vexilar. That was two years ago. The Maxxum is still in the garage. I thought that by now a better solution would be available. Apparently not.

P.S. My experience is that higher frequencies are more affected than lower frequencies which is of intense concern for down and side imaging.

trego
06-11-2011, 04:41 PM
I have not gotten the new software to try yet. Still waiting. I might add, I had a Humminbird 385 sonar/gps on my front electric trolling motor all last year with no problem. I bought the 597 just so I could get a larger screen. I thought the down imaging was a plus, although not necessary. Why does the 385 work fine, but not the 597? Is it the DI? But someone wrote a little earlier that they switched from a 597 DI to a plane 597 and still had a problem. I've used a locator on the front electric trolling motor for years with no problem. Why now?

bus33
06-12-2011, 09:49 AM
I have not gotten the new software to try yet. Still waiting. I might add, I had a Humminbird 385 sonar/gps on my front electric trolling motor all last year with no problem. I bought the 597 just so I could get a larger screen. I thought the down imaging was a plus, although not necessary. Why does the 385 work fine, but not the 597? Is it the DI? But someone wrote a little earlier that they switched from a 597 DI to a plane 597 and still had a problem. I've used a locator on the front electric trolling motor for years with no problem. Why now?

Good point. I had a 777c2 on the bow for a few years before the 788 DI and had no issues. The only thing I can think of in my case is the I-Pilot upgrade on the PD v2.

johnsb31
06-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Did altering the chart speed help?

Nope it didn't..i was bummed out. I also tried what Humminbird told me to do which is:

User Mode: Advance
Surface Clutter: 8
Max Depth: The maximum depth you would use the unit in
Water Type: Salt Deep

didn't work either.

Tim_Kelly
06-13-2011, 04:26 PM
And you've tried turning the sensitivity down? If the sensitivity is too high it will get too strong a signal off the weed and not easily separate the weed from the bottom.

I'm puzzled that it works fine when you're moving along on the main motor. If you run the trolling motor along quickly does it behave, or only when you run the big motor?

johnsb31
06-15-2011, 12:41 PM
yes, ive turned the sensitivity down.
No, it doesnt' work with the trolling motor running faster..

I have no clue..i sent it out to humminbird this morning..we will see what happens.

thanks for the help guys.

Trego
06-26-2011, 10:01 AM
I installed the new software from Humminbird, and it seems to have solved the problem I was having. I was only able to try it out for a short while, but the depth and scale are not jumping all over the place any longer. I hope this is it. I must say, Humminbird has been very helpful in trying to find a solution, although I'm disappointed it didn't work from the get-go for as much money as they cost.

Beanman
07-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Trego, just out of curiosity, why did Humminbird have to send you the software? I thought you could just download updates from their website?? I'm having the same issue with the depth jumbing from less than 10 feet down to 40-60 feet randomly. Only mine is occurring when everything on the boat is turned off. I just wanted to make sure i wasn't wasting my time buying an SD card and downloading updates from their website. Thanks!

rnnonmt
07-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Been reading this entire post since the beginning as I have a 597 ci hd di unit as well. Im in a little different situation as I do not have my own boat and have to rent so I have converted this unit to be portable. I put 70 plus hours on it in one week on Lac Seul and didn't have any of the problems that you all have been experiencing.

I am not a fishing electronics expert and agree that the issues you all are describing has got to be interference. In all of the comments and suggestions, I didnt see anyone mention routing of wiring (pardon if there was and I missed it). Just a suggestion.... but take a look at your wiring runs specifically if you have "bundled" your wiring together. Most of us probably use the existing wiring pass-thrus (because its easy & convenient) when we add more wiring for our gadgets because noone wants to drill more holes in the boat. When we do this we potentially have heavy load carrying wires bundled with our "sensitive electronics" wiring. The basic principle is that any wire carrying current creates a magnetic field. As small as this field may be imagine taking a magnet and putting it on your transducer wiring. Even thought the transducer wiring most likely is shielded it may not be good enough when it is bundled with other wires that are producing this magnetic field around them. Try isolating your sensitive wiring from your current carrying wires. IE: Dont bundle your trolling motor power wires and trolling motor mounted/bow mounted transducer wiring.

My two cents as an aircraft mechanic use to to dealing with "sensitive equipment." Hi-freq coaxial cable etc can not be bundled with load carrying wiring! I would consider the same rule to apply when you are installing your new equipment in your boat!

Good luck to you and happy fishing!

Trego
07-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Trego, just out of curiosity, why did Humminbird have to send you the software? I thought you could just download updates from their website?? I'm having the same issue with the depth jumbing from less than 10 feet down to 40-60 feet randomly. Only mine is occurring when everything on the boat is turned off. I just wanted to make sure i wasn't wasting my time buying an SD card and downloading updates from their website. Thanks!

I had been dealing with Humminbird for some time now, doing every "fix" they asked me to try. Nothing seemed to work. They sent me a new software fix to try, which seemed to work. It is not available on their site yet, but will be shortly.

Beanman
07-04-2011, 11:45 PM
That's good to know it will be available shortly because I apparently have the latest software version already installed.

johnsb31
07-27-2011, 10:48 AM
I had this same problem and i had to send my unit in. Just got it back and out on the water and it works.....:rock-on:

they had to fix something internal and a new transducer it said on the repair slip.

Humminbird had my unit for 10 days.. kudos to them.

sfw1960
08-03-2011, 07:45 PM
My MK PD65 was SHREDDING the SI/DI on my new 798ciSI.
They sent me a shielded TM XDCR, it helped but didn't help much - I drilled a hole in the TM skeg and ran a ground wire from the TM casing to the hull of my tin boat (you could go to your electronics battery too....)
I have eliminated at least 80-90% of my interference using DI.
:raisin:
I have SI/DI at the console & bow mount and the rear machine (797) is crystal clear, but both work fine and I see absolutely NOTHING using the "2D" views.

RAS

igradner
08-18-2011, 05:52 AM
I had been dealing with Humminbird for some time now, doing every "fix" they asked me to try. Nothing seemed to work. They sent me a new software fix to try, which seemed to work. It is not available on their site yet, but will be shortly.

trego, what software did they give you. i have a very similar problem:mad::mad: