: Berkley GULP! - Storage Problems...

JLS17
07-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Anyone have any secrets for storing the new containers of Berkley Gulp alive minnows and leeches? I opened some up last weekend only to find that it leaked out pretty bad into my plano 3700 box even though the lid seemed like it was on tight... Any suggestions are very much welcome.

Wade B AKA: Ruger2506
07-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Plastic peanut butter jars. They have yet to leak in my boat.

I can't see how they can make a peanut butter jar leak proof but Gulp Alive jars leak.

Chad
07-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Plano has some pretty nice storage containers made specifically for this. They come with a tweezers to pick out your bait.

http://www.planomolding.com/fishing/fishing-products/

hooterville15
07-06-2011, 12:25 PM
i have been using small canning jars , make sure to have at least an inch of space over top of liquid and then i plastic bag em'. gulp is not heat friendly, but the fish like them so i deal with the mess.

brian1785
07-06-2011, 01:37 PM
I second the Plano idea. I've used them now for a season or so and they work great.

4651 LBL BOTTLE

Contains the liquids and odors associated with simulated live baits

O-ring seal keeps your baits fresh and your boat and tackle bag odor free

hold up to 23.5 ounces of simulated live bait and the liquid they are stored in

7.25L x 3.75W x 2.63H

TravP
07-06-2011, 01:42 PM

I can't see how they can make a peanut butter jar leak proof but Gulp Alive jars leak.

They can make them leak proof. They don't though and instead sell a product called the gulp management system. If the price of Gulp wasn't enough. Trigger X for me...

lund115
07-06-2011, 03:05 PM

This is why Berkley sells Gulp storage Containers. Just another way for them to have you buy more products from them IMO. What's another $10. when you have $60+ bucks spent on the gulp already. Been down that road already.

Mpower
07-06-2011, 03:38 PM
This is why Berkley sells Gulp storage Containers. Just another way for them to have you buy more products from them IMO. What's another $10. when you have $60+ bucks spent on the gulp already. Been down that road already.
i had the berkly gulp specific containers and they cracked, POS IMHO. I picked up some of the Plano boxes already mentioned and they have not failed me. The tweasers are worthless though.

07-06-2011, 08:03 PM
I've fished with a number of guys that say the Gulp Storage Containers are junk as well. Leak as bad as the original containers.

I'm telling you guys. Peanut Butter jars. Someone showed me that trick and it works like a charm. AND the price is right.

zman8701
07-06-2011, 08:11 PM
I use a piece of cling wrap and over lap the edges so when I screw the cap on it seals the container.

REW
07-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Wade has it right.
Buy several jars of $3 peanut butter. Have toast and peanut butter for bread for a month or so and use up the jars contents.
You now have a jar that simply works. No leaks and no cracks.

It is pretty unbelievable that Berkley will sell a product in a container that works so poorly.

REW

REW
07-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Or go over to one of your neighbors who have kids.
Most folks who have children go through peanut butter like there is no tomorrow. Have them save the jars for you.

REW

Nimstug
07-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Wade has it right.
Buy several jars of $3 peanut butter. Have toast and peanut butter for bread for a month or so and use up the jars contents.
You now have a jar that simply works. No leaks and no cracks.

It is pretty unbelievable that Berkley will sell a product in a container that works so poorly.

REW

Put some honey on with the peanut butter.....

Nimstug

I've been on this site for over 6 years and that the first time I could improve on one of REW's suggestions!

:D

Mpower
07-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Or go over to one of your neighbors who have kids.
Most folks who have children go through peanut butter like there is no tomorrow. Have them save the jars for you.

REW

The only problem with this REW, is that pb jars are bigger taking up more storage space in the boat and they weight more, slowing me down and burning more gas!!:muahaha:

REW
07-06-2011, 09:54 PM
I would bet that 3 peanut butter jars containing an oz each of Gulp would take at least 20 mph off of the top speed of your boat.

REW

chamookman
07-07-2011, 02:19 AM
DO NOT remove the seal in the Gulp containers. When You open them the first time, make a slit in the seal with a pocket knife - just big enough to fish the baits out. C-man

Shellback
07-07-2011, 04:41 AM
Is the scent liquid the same for all the baits? Can I just dump the variety of baits I have into the same container?

Chad
07-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Is the scent liquid the same for all the baits? Can I just dump the variety of baits I have into the same container?

Right on!
That is what I do. The colors do not bleed either so you can mix colors without worries.

07-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Chad nailed it. I've got 3 jars in the boat. The "minnow" jar has various sizes and colors. Same with the leech jar and worm jar. Mix and match is fine.

B Robinson
07-23-2011, 03:09 AM
I went to Walfart and bought one of their leak proof containers that have the gasket around the lid. I put all my Gulp stuff into that container, as they aren't like other baits in that the colors won't bleed onto others. That way I have crawlers, grubs, all of it, marinating in the Gulp gravy all the time. Have yet to have a leak in my boat, works great.

sddan2
07-23-2011, 05:33 AM
Can you mix the bag stuff in the liquid or are they different products?

jigngrub
07-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Pint or quart Mason Jars, your wife probably has some in the kitchen right now.

twobearlake
07-23-2011, 04:41 PM
I use these for Gulp and Trigger X. Small, lightweight, cheap, and they have not leaked on me yet.

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/TwistLocContainers.aspx?SizeName=Small

TB

B Robinson
07-24-2011, 03:15 AM
Can you mix the bag stuff in the liquid or are they different products?

I mix everything Gulp Alive and have had no problems, even with them freezing over the winter. As long as you don't throw in other brands (even power bait), I think you'll be ok. I have been.

aceoky
07-24-2011, 11:40 AM
I mix everything Gulp Alive and have had no problems, even with them freezing over the winter. As long as you don't throw in other brands (even power bait), I think you'll be ok. I have been.
Ditto

Auggie264
07-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Peanut butter jars work great and I use the ziploc containers for leeches. Try teflon tape on the threads of the Gulp containers.