: fixing a leak

DJA
07-29-2011, 04:56 AM
If you were fixing a leak in an aluminum boat on a seam what would you use to stop the leak>????
actually it my leak is on a seam on a spouting on the house and am tired of it leaking

Hawker
07-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Wouldn't know where to start for a leaking seam on an aluminum boat, but the way I read your post, you have a leaking seam on a down spout at your home, correct? I would suggest a bead of quality silicone sealant, then backed up with a couple three pop rivets to pull the seam tight! Dunno for sure if that's the answer your looking for, but it's all I got without more details!

MarkG
07-29-2011, 08:52 AM
If you were fixing a leak in an aluminum boat on a seam what would you use to stop the leak>????
actually it my leak is on a seam on a spouting on the house and am tired of it leaking

Boat seams : Depending on what's broke ...Welding,or Rivets

Gutters: Gutter sealer ! (surprised??)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL0NfkwiJRU

Riveted downspouts: new pop rivets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-hnExOBLMM&feature=relmfu

Tim Ellis
07-29-2011, 11:51 AM
JB Water Weld Epoxy Putty.

tomjohn
07-29-2011, 01:57 PM
JB Weld works GREAT. I have used it myself.

eriksat1
07-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Just remember its hard (almost impossible) to seal a leak in a boat from the inside, best to seal it from the side that the water is coming from.

Tim Ellis
07-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Just remember its hard (almost impossible) to seal a leak in a boat from the inside, best to seal it from the side that the water is coming from.

This is where the JB Water Weld Epoxy Putty shines: http://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8277-Water/dp/B000BRQ0TW. A buddy even patched/sealed a hole in a leaking gas tank from the outside with this product while it leaked gas. I was sold after seeing this.

MarkG
07-30-2011, 12:43 AM
He wants to fix his gutters not his boat. Use the stuff made for the job...gutter sealer ..Duh !

eriksat1
07-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Then why post on a walleye fishing board and use a boat as an example?

MarkG
07-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Then why post on a walleye fishing board and use a boat as an example?

General discussion forum here is for any topic (except politics !! ) .

But fixing a leaking boat and leaking gutters are "apples and oranges". But actually,,, I wouldn't use JB Weld on EITHER !

AllenW
07-30-2011, 09:26 AM
General discussion forum here is for any topic (except politics !! ) .

But fixing a leaking boat and leaking gutters are "apples and oranges". But actually,,, I wouldn't use JB Weld on EITHER !

Just curious...why?

Al

MarkG
07-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Just curious...why?

Al

Not implying JB Weld is not good product. It has it's place. But in my opinion it's one of those fixes you use in a pinch or as a bandaid when there is no other real fix..as we used to call it... a "field fix".

Fix leaking boat rivets with new rivets. Fix a cracked weld by getting it rewelded.

My guess is if you ask a gutter contractor how he would fix leaky gutters,would it be JB Weld? Rather Likely it would be one of the specific materials meant for the job. ..........just sayin.

tomjohn
07-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Just sayin...I had a small pin hole in the stern of my 16' Mirrowcraft and JB welded the inside and outside. Let dry and then filed down the rough spots and it was good to go. That was two years ago.

AllenW
07-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Not implying JB Weld is not good product. It has it's place. But in my opinion it's one of those fixes you use in a pinch or as a bandaid when there is no other real fix..as we used to call it... a "field fix".

Fix leaking boat rivets with new rivets. Fix a cracked weld by getting it rewelded.

My guess is if you ask a gutter contractor how he would fix leaky gutters,would it be JB Weld? Rather Likely it would be one of the specific materials meant for the job. ..........just sayin.

Thanks, I thought you'd had some thing about water, thin boat hulls and JB not working well, or something like that.

Not sure about gutters, but I'd probably have a cracked alum hull welded, or if it was rivets leaking have them redone, but I'd think the JB would work for short term repair and probably last a long time if applied correctly.

Thanks.

Al

MarkG
07-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks, I thought you'd had some thing about water, thin boat hulls and JB not working well, or something like that.

Not sure about gutters, but I'd probably have a cracked alum hull welded, or if it was rivets leaking have them redone, but I'd think the JB would work for short term repair and probably last a long time if applied correctly.

Thanks.

Al

Exactly !

I used it as a quick emergency fix for a crack on a holding tank drain pipe on my RV trailer. Originally meant to be temporary until I figured the best way to go with it. Ended up working well for 4 years. Pretty Good ! But this year showing signs of letting go. Have since found more appropriate materials that should be a correct and permanent fix.

So now,, My choices are, go through all the work including all the clean and prep work and do it right,..or be lazy and slap on some fresh JB Weld and hope it lasts another 4 years. (Very Tempting) .

BOBBYBB
07-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Sorry Mark but I used JB Weld to fix an alum boat 15 years ago and it is still floating with nary a drop of water in the boat.

BOBBYBB
07-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Sorry Mark but I fixed a alum boat 15 years ago with JB weld and it still floats with nary a leak.

MarkG
07-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Sorry Mark but I fixed a alum boat 15 years ago with JB weld and it still floats with nary a leak.

No,, you did NOT fix it. You patched it.

Think about this.... If you were to sell that boat,would you tell a potential buyer that it had a patched defect ? (I would hope so). But if you actually "fixed" it, there would be nothing to tell.

tomjohn
07-31-2011, 03:02 PM
So you wouldn't tell the new buyer you fixed a hole in the boat? Hmmmm.

seeds
07-31-2011, 11:47 PM
I bought a jonboat with rivets obviously patched with JB Weld. When questioned,he assured me that he'd been using the boat frequently since the patch job and it didn't leak.

It leaked for me soon after I first launched it.

I trusted him because it wasn't a ton of money ($200),he "looked honest",and I figured he'd be able to sell the boat to someone else for that price,so why lie.

For a split seam in a downspout,I'd will (I have one I'd forgotten about since this opst winter. THANKS,DJA ..lol) ...I will poprivet it in 2 or 3 spots with a little silicon sealant. If I have a tube of 3M Marine sealant down in my adhesives box it'll be a couple years old and matching color (white). I may as well use that up if it's still good.

If that don't work I'll get a replacement section of downspout next year as long as someone on here reminds me.

MarkG
08-01-2011, 11:20 AM
So you wouldn't tell the new buyer you fixed a hole in the boat? Hmmmm.

Hmmmm????
If I had only patched it with JB Weld,absolutely,as it would still have a defect. If the boat was fixed right ,perfect and to spec, No defect would exist. What would be the point?