: Propane prices in northern minnesota

KRAMER2000
08-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Received an "offer from Ferrellgas this week indicating they would sell me propane for this winter at @2.249. Last year I paid $1.699. Anybody know of anybody else that has a decent price?

BCLII
08-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Local co-ops here in southern MN are at $1.92 contract!

radarlove1974
08-01-2011, 11:26 PM
$2.69 down here!!! Ouch

gmerz
08-02-2011, 06:28 AM
I paid about 1.70 on my contract for last winter. Haven't received the offer yet for this year. If it's in the area of 2.29, I'll shut the cabin down for the winter...

BCLII
08-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Just called local co-op here.
cash off the truck $1.87
contract $1.94
budget $1.97

MK cant log
08-02-2011, 09:26 AM
$2.69 down here!!! Ouch

West of Indy the pre-buy price is $2.25 +/- with Co-Alliance, used to be Midland Co-Op. Another company is quoting $2.69. I usually pre-buy about 800 gallons that lasts me the winter.

You might check to see if there's a Co Alliance in your area; should be.

eriksat1
08-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Just checked by me also, I burn wood but still use about 300 gals per year of propane. todays cost delivered $1.96 gal.

No Name This Time
08-02-2011, 10:31 AM
I worked 19 years as a branch manager for a major retailer in the propane buisness. The company you mentioned is usually one of the highest priced in the buisness. I just paid $1.79 a gallon for a cash summer fill from a small propane independent company.
Buy your own tank and tell the majors to XXXX off. Find a good independent supplier and then go on will call and stay on it. Watch your tank carefully and shop around for each fill. Usually your supplier will meet the competitions price if you know what you are talking about. If they won't, switch. This is what I did some time ago.
Suppliers are like insurance companies. If you don't check their pricing continuously they will keep bumping up the price up on you. Believe me I know.

No Name This Time
08-02-2011, 10:35 AM
North Central MN was where I paid $1.79 cash.

tv4fish
08-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Received an "offer from Ferrellgas this week indicating they would sell me propane for this winter at @2.249. Last year I paid $1.699. Anybody know of anybody else that has a decent price?
Just a FWIW: I live in Aitkin - just had 550 gals. delivered (and, yes - we own our tank) cost was 1.91(9) from Beaudry.

edit: DON'T be afraid to tell them that you ARE price shopping - I usually check with 3 different vendors first. Of course, if you are leasing your tank, you don't have much choice :(

eriksat1
08-02-2011, 12:42 PM
I lease but it still doesn't hurt to shop around. I just switched to the cheapest place they will switch the tank for free with 300 gal per year min. for free lease. I don't mind paying a extra 10 or 15 cents per gal for the lease. I priced a new tank $1200 not including valves and regulator. I would be dead and gone before I made up the difference, plus don't need to get inspection every 12 years. Like I said though I only use about 300 gals. per year.

tv4fish
08-03-2011, 08:21 AM
I lease but it still doesn't hurt to shop around. I just switched to the cheapest place they will switch the tank for free with 300 gal per year min. for free lease. I don't mind paying a extra 10 or 15 cents per gal for the lease. I priced a new tank $1200 not including valves and regulator. I would be dead and gone before I made up the difference, plus don't need to get inspection every 12 years. Like I said though I only use about 300 gals. per year.
Erik: Are you saying that you "swap out" your tank to go with a cheaper lease/propane cost?? How often have you done that? We are fortunate that our 1000 gallon tank was already owned by the seller of our property - so no concerns with leasing - I'm free to buy from whomever has the best price..

copterdr
08-03-2011, 10:48 AM
I switched from ferrel a couple of years ago to a local co-op as ferrel was always higher in price and there customer service is terrible

gmerz
08-03-2011, 12:36 PM
I switched from ferrel a couple of years ago to a local co-op as ferrel was always higher in price and there customer service is terrible

Ditto. Dropped Ferrel years ago as their service and pricing stinks. I use Northern Star Co-op now, they're out of Deer River. Better pricing, good service.

Try paying more
08-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Try coming to Ohio, I just paid $2.27 for pre-buy, average for our area. Makes yours look pretty good.

pzeyefan
08-03-2011, 10:06 PM
my winter price was 2.09, I was disgusted until I saw some of your prices, summer fill was 1.99, either way this stinks, time to cut wood.

eriksat1
08-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Erik: Are you saying that you "swap out" your tank to go with a cheaper lease/propane cost?? How often have you done that? We are fortunate that our 1000 gallon tank was already owned by the seller of our property - so no concerns with leasing - I'm free to buy from whomever has the best price..

I just made a call shopping around, I wasn't to crazy about the gas co that came with the house we just bought, called the local oil company and asked them about a possible switch, they said they would switch us for free, pump the old tank into there tank when it was less 50% all we need to do is buy at least 300 gals per year from them and there is no lease fee plus they have the best price around on propane. Then I just call up the old co. and tell them to come pick up there tank, I did not renew my contract with them this summer..

No Name This Time
08-04-2011, 09:46 AM

There are a surplus of used propane tanks of all sizes around at very reasonable prices in many areas. I bought a 1987 Trinity 500 gallon w. c. tank that was privately owned for $150.00. The paint and fittings were like new. There was zero rust. It was advertised in our local green sheet. I paid for it in the first 600 gallons compared to the old suppliers prices I had been paying. The standard M. O. of a number of major companies seems to be to keep their customers in the dark and scare the heck out of them with dire warnings regarding self owned tanks. You do not need to buy a new tank with the glut of used tanks around. Last month I saw an upright 110 gallon w. c. propane tank in good shape advertised for $100.00.

BigWaterFisher
08-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Get yourselves a woodstove!!! They make a lot of nice indoor ones which are fairly inexpensive. Or for large areas the outdoor wood stoves are great. Wood Master and Central Boiler are both manufacturers in MN that make a great product!

It takes a little time to stock pile some wood.... but we haven't filled our tank for the last 3 years!

eriksat1
08-04-2011, 01:38 PM
I have a indoor wood stove, if not I guarantee we would have used way more than 300 gals. per year in northern WI. I have a old 2 story farm house with 2400 sq ft. without a wood stove I would guess we would have used about 1500 gals. of propane minimum. It was cold last winter, I burned wood this year into June.

copterdr
08-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Propane supplier Ferrellgas settles Minn. lawsuit

The Associated Press
ST. PAUL, Minn. Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson says a propane gas supplier she sued two years ago over pricing and fees has settled for $450,000.

Swanson said Tuesday that she settled with Ferrellgas, a propane energy company based in Overland Park, Kan., with approval from a Ramsey County judge.

Swanson sued Ferrellgas in 2009, accusing the company of failing to disclose prices and adding unexpected fees. The company has more than 50,000 Minnesota customers, mainly people who heat their homes with propane.

Swanson says the $450,000 settlement will compensate Ferrellgas customers who paid undisclosed charges or fees. She also says the settlement requires Ferrellgas to refund low-usage or no-usage fees it charged Minnesota customers.

Ferrellgas spokesman Jim Saladin says the company leads its peers in disclosing fees and welcomes the settlement.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.