: Ford F150 Rumble

fisher_i_am
09-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Hoping someone can help....

2007 Ford F150 68,000miles.

Starting to get a rumble (almost like going over rumble strips on side of road or before a stop sign) for a quick second or two when I slowly start to accelerate starting from a set speed of about 55-65 mph. It comes and goes very quickly. Can't reproduce as slower speeds. I noticed it once the other day and seems I'm able to replicate fairly easily. I am trying to avoid it as I think it may lead to severe damage. The rumble is not super harsh but enough to be of concern.

Any thoughts.

JarkoTSmith
09-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Howling under acceleration at all speeds indicates that something in the differential -- gears, pinion or carrier bearings -- has worn or no longer keeps the gear alignment correct. If the gears howl while accelerating over a certain speed range, but not all speeds, it’s likely that the gears are worn due to lubrication failure or overloading.

Check the fluid levels on the front and rear differentials. I would change the fluid if you have never changed it.

JarkoTSmith
09-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Here are ome more things to check.

U-joint - Sounds like grinding of metal. Can cause vibration.
Tires - If they are out of balance they will cause hopping and or vibration between 50-70 mph (typically 65). Can be felt in steering if the front tires are out and in the seat of your pants if it is the rear tires.

fisher_i_am
09-09-2011, 05:03 PM
it's seems like a vibration from the front more than howling or grinding or anything from rear...

RKG
09-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Plenty of things moving in the front end too. Cv axle would be my quess if your sure it is coming from the front. U-joints would be the first thing i would check.

perchjerker
09-09-2011, 05:48 PM
kick your exhaust and listen for a rattle

my cat heatshield is rusted and it makes a noise sort of like you are describing, also the brick in the cat can crack and break and make noise too

simple stuff to check and cross off the list anyway

Leinie
09-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Heat shields are a good guess. It could also be the lockup in the torque converter is not releasing properly when you accelerate in high gear.

wiredog
09-09-2011, 06:46 PM
U joints on the rear drive shaft is the first thing to check. If it was cv joints in the front you would feel more when you turned corners. Wiredog

JAY221
09-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Front hub assy. I have had to replace on 3 different vehicles in the last coupla of months. Yukon Denali only had 64,000 on it. Ford Sporttrac only had 78,000. Later, Jay

Esoxchaser
09-09-2011, 07:33 PM
If you have a 2 piece drive shaft check the Mid-ship (carrier) bearing.

Jack G
09-09-2011, 09:32 PM
I had a 2004 F-150 that sometimes produced a slight rumbling noise that lasted very briefly and was hard to replicate. I finally discovered that I could replicate it if I was driving on a slight up grade at about 25-30 MPH and accelerated very slowly. At that point I took the service manager out and demo'd the problem to him. He knew right away it was from the exhaust system and the dealer replaced exhaust components and ended the problem. It was under warranty and I don't remember exactly what parts were involved.

Jack

fisher_i_am
09-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Guys, you are great!

I think it may be the lock up clutch for the torque converter. I can't replicate the rumble with over drive off.

radarlove1974
09-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Good luck finding it. I've had 3 mid 90's f150's all automatics that have done the same thing, you can let off the gas and it goes away but soon comes back under acceleration. I'm guessing it's the torque converter but it doesn't bother me enough to spend the money to fix since truck is used only for pulling the boat.

BGunn
09-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Hoping someone can help....

2007 Ford F150 68,000miles.

Starting to get a rumble (almost like going over rumble strips on side of road or before a stop sign) for a quick second or two when I slowly start to accelerate starting from a set speed of about 55-65 mph. It comes and goes very quickly. Can't reproduce as slower speeds. I noticed it once the other day and seems I'm able to replicate fairly easily. I am trying to avoid it as I think it may lead to severe damage. The rumble is not super harsh but enough to be of concern.

Any thoughts.

I've had 2 vehicles where the parking brake was causing a rumble. One got so bad that the entire dash seemed like it was going to fall off in your lap at 55 mph !!
It took a while to find the first one, I recognized it on the second one. It can drive you mad !!!

bigjohnson
09-10-2011, 06:13 AM
It sounds like your torque converter. They will glaze up inside and shutter.

Ned
09-10-2011, 08:56 AM
I had a 04 f150, same exact problem, it was the torque converter unlocking.

20,000 miles later, same problem was back. torque converter again.

fisher_i_am
09-10-2011, 09:04 AM
I had a 04 f150, same exact problem, it was the torque converter unlocking.

20,000 miles later, same problem was back. torque converter again.

Ned did it go away on it's own the first time? Did you ever fix it, if so how?

Leinie
09-10-2011, 12:55 PM
First thing I'd try is adding a can of "SeaFoam Trans-tune" and drive it 500 miles. If that doesn't help, Have the fluid exchanged and filter changed. I mean a full fluid exchange- not a drop the pan and add change.

I don't know how the Fords work, GM's have a solenoid that goes bad- perhaps FoMoCo has something similar.

Good Luck

Ned
09-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Ned did it go away on it's own the first time? Did you ever fix it, if so how?

No it never went away, truck was still under warranty so the converter was replaced each time by the dealer each time. Finally got tired of driveline problems with it and traded it. (converters (2) tranny and rearend) Truck had 56,000 on it when i got rid of it.

It was my understanding though that the 07+ was alot better truck. Maybe i was misinformed.

Noah Cantell
09-10-2011, 08:53 PM
(God knows I have been) make sure your emergency brake is not engaged.

Buck Snort
09-11-2011, 07:01 PM
U-joint is going bad.