: Mercury 150 HP 4 Stroke vs Verado

bowz
02-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Thinking of getting a new boat and am looking at the new Mercury 150 HP 4 Stroke vs 150 HP Verado. We do a lot of big motor trolling and am wonder which one to get, and why. Thanks...Greg

Wade B AKA: Ruger2506
02-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Thinking of getting a new boat and am looking at the new Mercury 150 HP 4 Stroke vs 150 HP Verado. We do a lot of big motor trolling and am wonder which one to get, and why. Thanks...Greg

Slap a Yamaha F150 on the back and enjoy. That or look at the Suzuki or Evinrude. Why don't you want to throw a kicker on to troll with?

Rich S
02-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Wade, I think he wanted a real motor.

I would go with the new 150 over the Verado.

02-20-2012, 02:20 PM
I would go with the new 150 over the Verado.

Are you sure he wanted a really crappy motor? Opps, did I say that out loud? :Wedgie:

I figured he'd want to be fishing or tubing on the weekends. Not sitting at home while the Verado is in the shop.

wallymn99
02-20-2012, 03:35 PM
to me it would depend on the service i got at the dealer. if i was closer to a merc dealer then obviously get a merc. I would also get the standard 150 and NOT the verado. If the dealer sells Merc and Suzuki, i would get the suzuki, same with yamaha, or evinrude. Merc would be my last choice.

rwl
02-20-2012, 04:10 PM
150 mercury 4 stroke, dont need the vrod.

Wade, C'mon man, every time. We all know your story,:deadhorse:

02-20-2012, 04:24 PM
150 mercury 4 stroke, dont need the vrod.

Wade, C'mon man, every time. We all know your story,:deadhorse:

I'm thinking Rich took the first :duel:

And to be honest with you. Until I feel I've got $1,000 of satisfaction out of Merc I'm going to blast them every chance i get.

rwl
02-20-2012, 07:29 PM
just kidding, go for it, if it makes you feel better.

My v rod is perfect so far, but I'd be upset too in your case.

bowz
02-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Actually we currently have a Verado and have had no issuues. Our previous Yamaha was an entirely different experience. Looking for input on the new 4 stroke Mercury 150..Greg

BW
02-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Since it just came out, don't think your gonna get much for reports. No one has had a chance to run it yet. Personally, I would opt for this motor over the verado. 55lbs lighter, less complication minus the supercharger and all. If you are gonna put a lot of hours on the big motor, I think it would be a safer bet in my opinion....

Gordon Sumner
02-21-2012, 06:38 AM
I was just reading some reports from guys that test drove a boat with the new Merc 150 four stroker on it. They were blown away by it.

Spendit
02-21-2012, 10:55 AM
The V-Rod has a troll mode - set to 550RPM at lowest speed......maybe you can get smart gauges with new four stroke as well?

Not much more in terms of maintenance - same: oil/plugs/winterization... just cost slightly more on the V-rod

Those with bad experiences will never go back and continue to plague this site with issues - some of us have had zero issues with said motors over 6 years now.......again pick the one motor that your dealer is best certified to service

Mark O.
02-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Go with the new 4-stroke. You'll save yourself some money over the v-rod. The new 4-stroke is a lot lighter than the vrod. You can get the SC1000 smartcraft gauges for the new 4-stroke. I had a 200 L4 Vrod for two years and it was trouble free except for a bad fuel float about a year into owning it. I loved the engine, but on my new boat, I went with a 200 opti instead. Remember, not every Mercury dealer is certified to work on the Verados. I'm guessing it will be easier to fnd someone to work on the new 4-stroke if you do have issues with it. My theory is that Mercury will slowly phase out the L4 Verado. It's a nice motor, but I think it is just too heavy for most boats that take a 150.

eye4aneye
02-24-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm a big Mercury fan and have always ran them but when you talk 150 4 strokes, the Yamaha is one heck of a strong running and dependable motor. They will outrun most two strokes on top end and are rock-solid dependable. I've got a coouple fishing buddies who have those 150 Yammies, they are outstanding.

ozarkeyes
02-24-2012, 08:10 PM
I just did a spec comparison between between the Merc 150 and YamF150- which might help in this discussion (I intentionally left out the Vrod) Also, Merc says the 150 is not "all that new" just new to public, as they have be running this motor for about 3 years in on water testing so it would have all the bugs worked out before it went on the market.

Merc 150
Displ Br x Stk rpm gears Altntr weight
183ci 102x92mm 5000/5800 1.92:1 60amp 455/20in 464/25in

(note the weight of 25in shaft is estimated because Merc does not list it but probably pretty close based on some research, also Merc just shows the max rpm range not what rpms it takes to get 150hp as Yam shows)

YamF150
Dipl Br x Stk rpm gear Altntr weight
162.8ci 94x96.2 5000/6000 2.00:1 35amp 480/20in 491/25in

(Yam shows 150hp at 5500rpm which is below 6000 max rpm)

ozarkeyes
02-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Sorry for how my comparison post looks all jammed together, tried to fix it but still came out that way.

Miami Vice
02-24-2012, 11:44 PM
I received a very nice presentation on the new Merc 150hp 4 stroke at the Miami Boat Show. The Merc rep said this new engine will cannibalize sales of both the V rod and the Opti. According to the Merc rep, most people will find the V rod too expensive compared to this new 150hp. engine. Because in the public's mind there is a perception that 4 stroke is better than 2 stroke, people will buy this engine over the Opi because it is similar in weight and about the same price.
When I asked him to compare this new engine to the Yami 150hp. he claimed that this new engine has much better corrosion protection, a better mounting system when attaching to the transom, a much more powerful alternator, more cubic inches, a simpler valve train, and a more robust lower unit.
The Yami 150 is bullet proof.
Time will tell if this new Merc holds up as well as the Yami
Miami Vice.

Esoxchaser
02-25-2012, 04:56 AM
Given Mercury's history of not backing up their defective new offerings, you should avoid any newly introduced Mercury for at least 3 years till you know they aren't doing the newly introduced Optimax Powerhead eating trick.

Personally, after getting completely screwed by Mercury and their joke of an idea of "customer service" and "warranty" and "quality", I will NEVER buy another black motor.

I do have to admit, I know nothing of how Yamaha's warranty claim works, because my two 2008 Yamahas have needed nothing.
But that's a good thing, right?

Not A Merc Hater Or Merc Owner
02-25-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm thinking Rich took the first :duel:

And to be honest with you. Until I feel I've got $1,000 of satisfaction out of Merc I'm going to blast them every chance i get.

Well at least we know your agenda. Like it or not, that does temper what you say to the rest of us.

Jim Carroll
02-25-2012, 08:25 AM

It's a tough decision, given you said about doing quite a bit of trolling with the big engine. The Verado is a touch quieter at idle, and you have the option of the electro-hydraulic steering which is very nice. The Verado will likely be a bit faster out of the hole, but will probably use more fuel. With all the options the Verado will be more expensive to purchase.

In testing that Tracker did with a Verado 150 HP and the new FourStroke 150 HP rigged on Targa 18 WT's, the new FourStroke 150 was actually slightly faster at full throttle, and there was not much noise difference between the two engines at WOT. The Verado 150 was stronger out of the hole, but not by much. I know the guys that ran both engines came away very impressed with the new FourStroke 150, and unless you decide that you really need the premium options like steering that you can get with a Verado, I'd say the new FourStroke 150 would be a solid choice.

Lighter and stronger than the competition, Mercury is going to sell a lot of these engines.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Esoxchaser
02-25-2012, 08:28 AM
I just did a spec comparison between between the Merc 150 and YamF150- which might help in this discussion (I intentionally left out the Vrod) Also, Merc says the 150 is not "all that new" just new to public, as they have be running this motor for about 3 years in on water testing so it would have all the bugs worked out before it went on the market.

Merc 150
Displ Br x Stk rpm gears Altntr weight
183ci 102x92mm 5000/5800 1.92:1 60amp 455/20in 464/25in

(note the weight of 25in shaft is estimated because Merc does not list it but probably pretty close based on some research, also Merc just shows the max rpm range not what rpms it takes to get 150hp as Yam shows)

YamF150
Dipl Br x Stk rpm gear Altntr weight
162.8ci 94x96.2 5000/6000 2.00:1 35amp 480/20in 491/25in

(Yam shows 150hp at 5500rpm which is below 6000 max rpm)

The Yamaha alternator output rating is rated AFTER the motor loads such as injector pump and electronics are subtracted. I believe it actually is more output than the Mercury has after subtracting the same constant loads.

02-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Well at least we know your agenda. Like it or not, that does temper what you say to the rest of us.

Look up! I believe EsoxChaser had very similar comments. I guess I'm not alone in this one.

I'm curious how that "tempers" what I say. Mercury provided a crappy service and because I wanted (and still want) satisfaction my opinions carry less weight?

02-25-2012, 08:32 AM
What are your guy's thoughts on the physical appeal of Merc's new 4 Stroke? Do you like the way it looks?

Esoxchaser
02-25-2012, 08:36 AM
What are your guy's thoughts on the physical appeal of Merc's new 4 Stroke? Do you like the way it looks?

Doesn't matter to me how it looks because I will never have one parked in my barn.:smash:

Ned
02-25-2012, 08:49 AM
Totally understand your frustrations with merc wade and exo.

I'll play devils advocate for a minute...

my FIL and i were out fishing when his 175 opti dropped from WOT to idle(i about ate windshield for breakfast) and all kinds of alarms started sounding.

Long story short, 8am on a sunday morning, My FIL called merc from the water, put the guy on speaker phone and he walked me through what i needed to do to the injector pump for oil(if thats what its called) to be back in business. I bet it was less than 10min and we were back running WOT.
Thats been my only experience with merc but i have to say, i was **** impressed!

I have a yami on my boat:popc1:

Further North
02-26-2012, 10:58 AM

Do people really buy outboards based on how they look?

That's crazy....

02-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Do people really buy outboards based on how they look?

That's crazy....

With all other things being equal I would think possibly. There was that post from someone who hated the way Yamaha looks. So perhaps.

Hot Runr Guy
02-26-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm curious how that "tempers" what I say. Mercury provided a crappy service and because I wanted (and still want) satisfaction

Wade,
Just for kicks, what do you think Mercury Marine still owe's you? And, have you pursued any legal remedies to get what you believe you deserve?

Heck, if a woman can sue Honda, and win almost $10k in small claims court on a gas mileage claim, anything is possible.

HRG

02-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Wade,
Just for kicks, what do you think Mercury Marine still owe's you? And, have you pursued any legal remedies to get what you believe you deserve?

Heck, if a woman can sue Honda, and win almost $10k in small claims court on a gas mileage claim, anything is possible.

HRG

There is nothing Merc is going to do now. Heck, they wouldn't honor the warranty when I owned the outboard. They left the dealer and I on the hook for parts and labor or their defective product.

So I guess as long as I can help protect my fellow fisherman from this company and cost Mercury Marine more than the $1000 it cost me to keep their defective product running. I'll be satisfied.

Nothing to pursue that I can think of. Certainly not worth a legal battle. But in this day and age of instant feedback and negative word of mouth via the internet. It probably would have been wise for Merc to honor their warranty and keep me happy. Then I'd be on here saying, "Man, I wasn't happy with that Verado I had but Merc really stepped up and made it right. I'd recommend them as a company/product." Instead I'm saying just the opposite.

I'll tell you, I'd be more inclined to buy an inferior product from a company with superior customer service than I would buy a product from a company with a superior product and inferior customer service.

HRG, on a side note. I appreciate your ability to have a rational conversation with me on these many topics and not get all whiny/pi$$y like a lot of the guys on these sites can get when someone disagrees with them.

Hot Runr Guy
02-26-2012, 05:01 PM
HRG, on a side note. I appreciate your ability to have a rational conversation with me on these many topics and not get all whiny/pi$$y like a lot of the guys on these sites can get when someone disagrees with them.

No problem buddy. It's real easy for me to remain calm and be objective in these discussions because I have no personal or financial interest in any of the company's being discussed. I have, however, over the past 4 years been able to foster relationships within Mercury (& Lund) that have provided me the ability to get a question answered directly by the manufacturer, rather than having to deal with people at the dealership level. Certainly, there are good dealers out there, but in many cases I've walked into a dealership with more knowledge about a product than they have.

One concept I will not subscribe to is the "if it's Japanese (or German, or Swiss, etc)" then it's better than anyone else's. No doubt, competition has given all manufacturers the need to provide higher quality products, or cease to exist. But we certainly agree on one point, exceptional customer service can overcome a problem product.

HRG

walloeyes
02-26-2012, 05:11 PM
I've bought two brand new walleye rigs since 2003. Both purchases were made solely on the dealer's reputation and location.

Lund dealer with good reputation happened to be 30 minutes from me...so that meant mercury. Couldn't have cared less whether it was Merc or yamaha...it's the dealer and their operation that can create headaches.

To throw a customer at the mercy of a manufacture is a chickensh*t move.

Most recent new boat I purchased was a left over that had a 150 V-rod on the back. Have had it for 4 years now without any hiccups. However, it seems the fuel float was a problem on this model, so my dealer replaced it as a preventative and under warranty during my first routine maintenance.

Love the digital throttle, power steering, and quiteness of the verado. Motor is hanging on a 18ft pro v se along with a kicker and the weight of the v-rod is absolutely a none issue.

Wade, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with one of your rigs....Can't a dealer "work the system"?...IE take it in the shorts to make a great customer happy, then stick it in merc's a$$ a dozen times to make up for it?

02-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Wade, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with one of your rigs....Can't a dealer "work the system"?...IE take it in the shorts to make a great customer happy, then stick it in merc's a$$ a dozen times to make up for it?

Actually the dealer did eat the labor costs which really cut me a huge break. They've gained that loss back 100X in the amount of business I've sent them. Awesome place that has guys that went the extra mile.

They were so upset about the whole thing that they were seriously considering stopping being a Mercury dealership and switching to Yamaha as they've had great experience with Yamaha. Not sure if they did that or not. Probably not since I'm sure it's a big PIA.

Further North
02-26-2012, 07:52 PM
With all other things being equal I would think possibly. There was that post from someone who hated the way Yamaha looks. So perhaps.

I suppose....people wear uncomfortable shoes so they can look good....never understood that.

I've always enjoyed that phrase "all things being equal". They never are....