: Best Pike fishing time of day

Nosebleed
04-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Just curious what others have experinced as far as the best time of day for Pike. The thread about routine got me thinking. When's the most consistant time for the big pike?

In my experience it seems there are a lot of definite shifts on the pike population. Meaning small hammer handles eat for a while than the little ones dissapear and you start to hold on to your rod a little tighter becuase there may be something else moving into your area with an agenda :devil:.

Now, how that relates to the time of day I'm not sure. There are so many variables it's hard to say although I've noticed going through pictures A lot of nice fish are caught during low light hours (early/late day). Infact the biggest fish of our last fish was caught on the last night, incedentaly, we stayed out a little later trying to bleed out the last of the trip (Had to beg her with a fly rod but, got her in the boat non-the-less.) Other trips the first night out has been really good. Again since we're fresh we stay out a little later.

So when anylizing my canda routine (going July 29th for a week), should I put more emphasis on twilight fishing?

FYI I spend 95% of my time up there chasing big Jack. So walleye time isn't that important to me.

new hips
04-04-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm no expert for sure, but have been to Canada for over 20 years. Most of my big pike have come at mid morning and mid day, and a few coming 2 hours before dark. Never had much luck at last light of the day. We fish mainly stained water, I believe wind blown points and shorelines are the key. Ambush weeds next to a drop off produced my best. We usually go in September. :howdy:

a3dad
04-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Isn't it obvious??? ANYTIME of the day is a good time to go pike fishing!!! :rockit:

Hawker
04-04-2012, 10:08 AM
I "too" am no Pike expert and can only base my input on 22 years straight of going to LOTW at the end of May, first of June!

I very much enjoy fishing for Pike as we don't have theme here at home! What I have found is that the smaller pike feed readily in the early morning hours with an occasional larger pike in the mix! If the day starts off sunny and warming, it's been pretty much a given that as the day progresses we catch the larger pike! If the days are rainy and cool, it always seems the better fish turn on later in the day though! I'm not sure there is any specific "routine" for us in fishing and catching though other than we generally don't expect to catch the bigger ones until the day progresses!

"In my experience it seems there are a lot of definite shifts on the pike population. Meaning small hammer handles eat for a while than the little ones dissapear and you start to hold on to your rod a little tighter because there may be something else moving into your area with an agenda."

We have experienced the same circumstances many times over the years, and "almost" always it's because a big musky has moved into the area and all the jacks go into hiding (or so it seems anyway)!

As I said, I am certainly no expert by any means when it comes to the Pike, can only relate per my week long visits each year earlier in the year! Interesting thread though, I'll have to keep tabs on it and likely learn a whole bunch!!

HeHooksHimself
04-04-2012, 10:57 AM
I am curious because in this thread is the first time I have ever heard of northern pike referred to as "jacks" After I read that I later watched the videos posted by limeyangler on Eagle Lake and heard him to refer to a small pike as a jack. I have gone past Jackfish Lake in NW Ontario, but never knew what the name meant. Now... I have been going to Canada for 15 years and never heard of a pike referred to as a jack. Is it just another name for them or is it a smaller one (like snake or hammerhandle)? Please do not make fun of my ignorance, I get enough of that at home!

Golden Eagle
04-04-2012, 11:03 AM
I want to be throwing big baits between 10:00 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Hawker
04-04-2012, 11:06 AM
I am curious because in this thread is the first time I have ever heard of northern pike referred to as "jacks" After I read that I later watched the videos posted by limeyangler on Eagle Lake and heard him to refer to a small pike as a jack. I have gone past Jackfish Lake in NW Ontario, but never knew what the name meant. Now... I have been going to Canada for 15 years and never heard of a pike referred to as a jack. Is it just another name for them or is it a smaller one (like snake or hammerhandle)? Please do not make fun of my ignorance, I get enough of that at home!

Can't say that I really know either! When talking with some of the local guides over the years I've asked what they were guiding for that day and many times have heard them say they were taking their clients out "Jack" fishing! Then at times, while fishing with some of them on their "off times", I've heard all of them refer to the smaller pike as Jacks, Snakes and or Hammerhandles! I (while up there anyway) just refer to Pike in general as Jacks cuz that's what I hear more often while there! May be just a local thing, I've no idea for sure!!

PIKE PRO
04-04-2012, 12:41 PM
I call them small pike SNOT-ROCKETS!!!!

Pymbet
04-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Reserve 4:00 to 6:00 pm (mid-summer) for the pike hunting. Let someone else start dinner and be sure to be in the water at that time. Not much for the early morning or anything an hour before sundown. Basing this on when we have landed some of the biggest in 25 years of Canadian fishing.

jaximus
04-04-2012, 02:19 PM
ive had my best pike success in both canada and wisconsin around 10am. its when the sun gets high enough to start filtering a little deeper in the water but not too high. try areas where there is some shade next to bright sun, cast along the line of sun and hold on tight

VINNYD
04-04-2012, 02:28 PM
well i having been fishing for pike for over 25yrs now and and would say that 9am to 11am and 6pm to 8pm was the best times now with that said it all depends on the weather and every lake is a different and also depends on what time of year but i find these hours to the best .This is not to say other hours dont work but for me i found them to be the best hours

oilguy
04-04-2012, 02:55 PM

The term Jack is a slang that you will find most people in Saskatchewan and Alberta using to describe Pike. You will also hear them use the term pickeral when referring to Walleye. I'm guilty of calling Pike "Jacks" too (regardless of size) due to growing up with a dad and uncle that never called them anything but "Jacks".

As far as the best time to target big pike....I prefer to start about 2-3 hours after sunrise (usually somewhere around 8 to 9am). To nail down the "key time" is impossible and if you ask a thousand people, you will get a thousand answers. I do know that in all the trophy pike we have ever caught, most come between 8am to 6pm, but we have caught enough late in the evening to not rule it out either. We have always found that the big pike (in numbers) seem to slow down near last light. The other tip would be use big hooks to catch big fish. We don't have Muskies out West, but we do have Pike the size of Muskies. Don't be afraid to try a few "Musky hooks". The people around here look at me like I'm crazy when they see what I use, but they change their tune pretty quick when you start pulling in as many fish as they are, but your average weight is over 10 pounds a fish. If you are fishing waters that have a large number of trophy sized pike, make sure to give some big baits a try and don't get too caught up in the perfect time to cast/troll them.

I posted a few pictures of pike and walleye a while ago under "Biggest Walleye in 2011" under Canada Eh? Don't get me wrong, I'm not bragging AT ALL, but over the years, we have had trips that most can only dream of and that is what I am basing my findings on for big "Jacks". Good luck in chasing down a few lunkers!

vteye
04-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Exclusively targeted pike this summer - fall and seemed to catch them
all times of the day. Key was when lake turns on... Lake could be
non existent activity wise and then really turn on. The time window is
prime time and varies day to day.

Kevin R
04-19-2012, 01:28 PM
In 1970 I met a family that vacationed on Wabaskang during the weeks we stayed. The father had fished with his dad as a boy on lakes & rivers in the late 1930s close to home by Winnipeg. I thought Wabaskang was great fishing back in the 1970s 100 pike a day with many fish going 10lbs or better was the norm. Well this friend called them Jacks & said Wabaskang just had little Jacks, he went on to tell when he fished with his dad 30 years ago they would have a stringer of Pickerel (Walleye) from 5-10lbs tied to the boat. As they would fish for more walleye the boat at times would be jerked around & his dad would get up with a paddle muttering dam Jacks as he beat them off with the paddle.

Limeyangler
04-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Jackfish and Jacks is what they call pike up here. Snot rocket, hammerhandles, snakes generally refer to smaller pike and those three terms are usually preceded and followed with various expletives as most fisherman regard these as nuisance fish.

rockape
05-11-2012, 10:37 AM
I vote for 10am to 4pm for big pike. Biggest ever was at 4pm, and the other slobs were probably 2-4pm. But, I have caught big fish throughout the day. Never really early or late though. Same with my entire group. Something about that late afternoon period though. I have a lure I use that I will cast about 10-12 times at any one spot, and if there are any big girls around, I'll know in those 10-12 casts. I don't catch them all, but they let me know I am on their turf.

You want to catch BIG fish? You have to throw BIG baits. I'm waiting for the MNR to try and bust me for fishing for muskies before the season opens when I really am fishing for pike. A lot of what I use are musky lures. Anyone ever had that happen? I've caught pike while targeting muskies, but never muskies while targeting pike.

And the looks I get from other boats with what I throw! Pretty awesome hooking into a 15lb+ fish with an audience that thinks you are crazy!!!!