: Anyone ever seen a complete form of a fish with structure scan?

drbrand
04-12-2012, 06:42 PM
I got out for the first time the other day with my Lowrance Structure Scan. I was on Oahe in approximately 30' of water and I saw a perfect form of a fish on the Structure Downscan. I could make out body, pectoral fins, tail, head, etc. Has anyone else seen such a thing?

LLewellin
04-12-2012, 08:35 PM
I got out for the first time the other day with my Lowrance Structure Scan. I was on Oahe in approximately 30' of water and I saw a perfect form of a fish on the Structure Downscan. I could make out body, pectoral fins, tail, head, etc. Has anyone else seen such a thing?

Never but it would be great to see a screen shot if you see another!

Jim Carroll
04-12-2012, 09:35 PM
These are paddlefish, carp, etc. in the tailrace below the Garrison Dam last fall.

Occasionally, you can catch a pretty nice image of a paddlefish when drifting down the chute with the current. About 36,000 CFS coming through the dam when I caught this image using Lowrance StructureScan.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Pooch
04-13-2012, 01:57 AM
Pretty cool picture there Jim Carrol!

Pooch

LLewellin
04-13-2012, 05:06 AM
These are paddlefish, carp, etc. in the tailrace below the Garrison Dam last fall.

Occasionally, you can catch a pretty nice image of a paddlefish when drifting down the chute with the current. About 36,000 CFS coming through the dam when I caught this image using Lowrance StructureScan.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Very Cool pic!

Ned
04-13-2012, 07:05 AM

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

This is down imaging?

K Gonefishin
04-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Neat-O. I can't wait till LSS-2 comes out. I fish the Cleveland breakwalls all fall at night for moster walleye, I can wait to see them hiding in the rocks with sidescan it's going to be awesome, sometimes the fish are pinned righ up against the wall sometimes they are slightly off the wall LSS will defintely be cool to see the relation.

drbrand
04-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Is there any way to replay what I saw or is it gone after it roles off the screen? If its gone, how do you save a screen shot before it roles off the screen?

The image I saw looked just like a sturgeon but I know there are no sturgeon in the Missouri River. It had a long tail and long tapering head and very pronounced pectoral fins. It was up in the Cheyenne River arm of Oahe by Foster Bay.

zooks
04-13-2012, 10:40 AM
The image I saw looked just like a sturgeon but I know there are no sturgeon in the Missouri River. It had a long tail and long tapering head and very pronounced pectoral fins. It was up in the Cheyenne River arm of Oahe by Foster Bay.
Huh? There are sturgeon in the Missouri. I've caught a shovelnose just downstream of the Oahe Dam in the past. Here's the SD state records showing sturgeon records when they had open seasons in the past, all were caught somewhere on the river system.

http://gfp.sd.gov/fishing-boating/state-fish-records-list.aspx

drbrand
04-13-2012, 11:05 AM
After I said that I did a search and saw that there are sturgeon in the Missouri River. I never knew that. So I imagine that is what I saw on the structure scan.

Huh? There are sturgeon in the Missouri. I've caught a shovelnose just downstream of the Oahe Dam in the past. Here's the SD state records showing sturgeon records when they had open seasons in the past, all were caught somewhere on the river system.

http://gfp.sd.gov/fishing-boating/state-fish-records-list.aspx

jhwalleye1
04-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Yes, there are ample sturgeon..........and gar.........and burbot........and all sorts of prehistoric ugly looking long things.

If you're just getting out for the first time with your structure scan though you have a lot of interesting moments ahead of you......very interesting device. Where I have found mind to be incredible is in 3-5 feet when traditional sonar became cluttered etc, the small white spots at that depth on the structure scan sure enough are fish.......if you see it and wonder, it's believable.

Jim Carroll
04-13-2012, 11:26 AM
This is down imaging?

Yes, the image is a downscan from my HDS-10.

There are quite a few Sturgeon above and below the Garrison dam, and I'm sure that some of the images I've got saved are sturgeon. They do have a somewhat similar extended nose, but not quite as distinctive as a paddlefish. And the sturgeon's tail is smaller too, and not as "forked" as a paddlefish.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Jim Carroll
04-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Is there any way to replay what I saw or is it gone after it roles off the screen? If its gone, how do you save a screen shot before it roles off the screen?

You can use the screen cursor and arrow keys to go back quite a ways into the screen history by scrolling the screen back.

To save a screen shot: MENU / MENU / SYSTEM / SCREEN CAPTURE / ENTER

That enables a screen shot. To take a picture, press the power button once (do not hold it) and it will save the image to the internal memory of the HDS. Transfer those files to a memory card if you want to upload them to your computer.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

solangler
04-15-2012, 01:07 PM

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Really awesome footage, does HB have this technology?

jkonop
04-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Really awesome footage, does HB have this technology?

Yeap...Here you go...
http://www.humminbird.com/leading_innovation/humminbird-sonar/down-imaging.aspx

solangler
04-16-2012, 06:18 AM
Ya I know they got down and side imaging, I got two of them, but do they have the computer technology to show fish so clearly?( I'm aware with Lowrance they are Just computer enhanced) from my experience with HB fish appear just as a blob.
It would be awesome to see some footage of some!!!

reddog
04-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Sol,
If you look at the picture posted, only one fish is perfectly printed, the rest are less than perfect.(but very good) Maybe that fish was turned on its side in some sort of acrobatic mating mode, who knows. In order to print out detail like that in down imaging, the fish has to be some sort of sideways, or off to the side enough to get a perfect printout.

The larger the fish, and the larger its fins and tails are, the easier it is to get detail. There is no comparison which is easier between printing a perfect picture of a walleye, and a paddlefish or sturgeon.

Here is a SI picture of paddlefish on the Mo. I dont typically mess with down imaging, so I dont know what my DI sensitivity is set at, but when I was messing with it earlier this year, I found it needed to be considerably higher than what I have in this picture, which is 10.

drbrand
04-16-2012, 07:35 AM
The image I saw was a perfect shape of a sturgeon, just like the image Jim Carroll posted of the paddlefish. I am going to have to learn how to save a screen shot so the next time it happens I can show everyone.

reddog
04-16-2012, 08:11 AM
I believe you dr, but I also believe that getting a perfect print out of a fish, will be a rarity, not the norm, no matter whos equipment you are using. It helps if they are suspended also (like Jims), rather than sucked down to the bottom. Its cool when it happens though..

solangler
04-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Reddog, That right there is also some awesome footage, If I ever come across this type of reading's, I will be sure to record it, and share it. thank's!!!