: mid june lake trout trolling lure choices

jaximus
04-16-2012, 01:47 PM
we do a trip up to quetico park every spring for a week of fishing/canoeing. we really like eating lake trout when we are up there (way fast/less mess than fish fry, but we do both)

we troll mainly to catch trout and weve seen a variety of lures catch fish. what would you guys say are your top 5 or so baits when trolling.

the lake we go on is pretty clear and the main forage base is cisco. what would you suggest?

our best producers include...
rapala deep x rap shad(moss shiner)
rapala 20' taildancer(hot flash)
rapala deep husky jerk(silver/black back)
rapala fat rap(silver/black back)
also, weve had some success on the 'purpledescent" paint pattern on x raps/shad raps/taildancers

weve yet to find a lure that really is head and shoulders above the rest.

Backroad Benny
04-16-2012, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't overlook spoons. To get them deeper, run a 3 way swivel with about 3-4' of line on each end. Attach a 1-2oz weight to the bottom line, then a spoon the back line. You should be able to get these to go as deep as 50' on the troll with this method.

My favorite spoons to troll for lakers are Williams Wobblers and Dartees, followed by Cleos.

benn
04-16-2012, 03:59 PM
We sometimes find the lakers very shallow this time of year, especially in early June. We also like to troll, using shad raps, countdowns, rattle traps & any other type of shallow plug. Color does not seem to matter. When we find them schooled in an area, we will sometimes troll up to 4 mph to get them to strike! As the water warms, we move deeper, using #9 shad raps and other deep diving plugs (up to 25'). When we go in the early fall, we move to deep water and jig with sonars or buzz bombs (up to 80'). We've never trolled for lakers in the fall, but might have to give it a try using Backroad Benny's method.

JayM5209
04-16-2012, 04:53 PM
I've done a ton of laker trolling over the years, usually early season when they're still shallow. All the lures mentioned in your post and the replies work. Also, be sure to take some large blade baits along. The past several years I've started to do a bunch of jigging with blades, especially if a little later in the season when the water is warming and the lakers are moving deeper. A Heddon Sonar or Cicada will work, but I prefer the larger, heavier ones. Lots of sources available on line. Just do as Google search for blade baits. Two years ago my son and I killed the lakers and whitefish two consecutive days by jigging blades. They were in the bottom five feet in 75' of water. The larger blades will get down faster. Jig aggressively and hang on!!

Here's an example of an online source: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Poor_Boys_Blade_Bait/descpage-PBBLADE.html

I usually buy the plain nickle or brass ones and add a piece of blue or silver lure tape to some of them for added flash and variety.

UKBDM
04-17-2012, 07:12 AM
I have made nine trips into Quetico over the years. Mostly out of Atikokan from the north side. Mostly first week of June but have done the third week of May and second week of September.

I like the bigger Wally Divers in gold or silver in those lakes because of the clear water. I usually let a bunch of line (100') out and don't paddle very fast. We hammered them in May one time shortlining gold Erie Dearies (5/8?) tipped with any white soft plastic we could find.

Don't know what entry point you are using but PM me if you want some specific lake info or a couple walleye spots I can put you onto. I have used almost all those northern entry points.

Don't forget that you will have to bend the barbs back on all those crankbaits. :bigsmile:

jaximus
04-17-2012, 12:27 PM
@ukbdm, awesome! we too go through atikokan. we use the nym entry point. we do some trolling through batchewaung on the way in, but mostly we fish oriana. oriana is pretty clear, same a batchewaung.

ive heard gold and red are good for lakers, however we havent really had any luck on those colors. silver does well for us. wally divers are pretty close to taildancers, however, ive never used wally divers. we longline with a lot of line and casually paddle around doing s turns.

@backroad benny, we bring spoons, mostly cleos but we mainly use them from shore or casting into schools of cisco at dusk. id like to get my hands on a longer more slender silver spoon, like a red eye lure/mepp syclops, but i havent found one recently

also, i run barbless on everything everywhere i fish, its kinda sad crushing off that barb from those brand new shiny hooks, but its worth it.

vteye
04-17-2012, 01:45 PM
I hammered lake trout yesterday on Lake Champlain on a husky jerk like
jerk bait natural trout colored with 3 BB shot in it. Lakers were in the shallows 5-18 fow and were killing it.

UKBDM
04-17-2012, 03:08 PM
We usually head deep into the park. Used Stanton Bay entry to access Oliphaunt which was our favorite destination. Fish the channel going into the bay on the south end of Oliphaunt. Great campsite on the east side of that channel. Troll Wally Divers out in the main lake.

Have used Nym to get into the Walter/Lonely area. There are a couple no-name lakes at the north end of Lonely that have fantastic smallmouth fishing. Portages suck but were worth it.

Never spent much time in Batchewaung because we were always in a hurry to get deeper in the park. Did catch trout from the shore at the bottom of the portage into Batch from Nym. That was the May trip when we wore stocking caps, sweaters, and fleece all week. No bugs. Trout were in 3-6' of water. Doesn't matter what you throw when they are that shallow. #2 Mepps was as good as anything.

Biggest trout we caught up there was in Beaverhouse on the way to the Quetico portage. 12+ lbs. Used a hammered silver dardevle spoon (1oz?) that always seemed to catch bigger fish.

Good luck this summer! Since I bought a boat, it has been hard to make myself make a trip to Quetico. Need to do it before I get much older.

HeHooksHimself
04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
We usually fish in June when the lakers are still shallow. Last year a #10 or #12 perch colored rapala x-rap was the only lure you needed. My buddy and I each had one and others were using blue and crawdad colors. We caught the biggest and the most trout. At the end of the week one of my treble hooks was a duet and the lure was missing an eye. There were no feathers on the end but they were still attacking it. Needless to say I have several of each and will be testing them in about 33 days.

jaximus
04-17-2012, 11:30 PM
@hehookshimself, you use perch colored x raps, interesting. in that lake was the main forage ciscoes? weve never tried that. we have used firetiger with some success, but mostly it was the subdued fire tiger of an x rap and not the bright version on the taildancer/shad rap, so its almost perchy.

as for spoons, what are you guys' personal favorites? ive got full blown canada fever now!

also ive never really been a big fan of spinners/mepps type things. i really hate twisty line. you guys troll those on 3 way rigs? what about something like a mepps comet minnow?

HeHooksHimself
04-18-2012, 06:35 AM
I am not sure what the main forage is and whether or not the natural minnows are ciscoes. i know that we have caught lakers while jigging for walleyes on jig and minnows. I also know that there are many perch in the system. We have had good success most year with perch colors. This all happened at Wine Lake in the Cedar River system.

JayM5209
04-18-2012, 06:47 AM
[QUOTE] . . . .
as for spoons, what are you guys' personal favorites? ive got full blown canada fever now! . . . . .
[QUOTE]

My go-to laker spoon is a Luhr Jensen Krocodile, the chrome/silver prism model. Great for trolling, heavy enough to make a good jigging spoon.

briand
04-20-2012, 11:15 AM
To me it's not so important of what's on the end of your line as to where your sitting in the boat. I'm always on the wrong side !!
Some days it's the front and yet it switches just like that as i move there.

Actually we prefer spinners and live bait in spring.
Shallower and clearer the water, smaller the spinner.

Come mid June as the trout go down the Gibbs tee spoon and live minnow has been 1 of our top producer.

The way things are looking this year with an early spring, mid june I would suspect the trout to be a little deeper.

As for fav spoon it's the williams wobbler and the other would be 5 of diamonds.

This weekend will be our second ice off laker trip of the year