: All welded jon question

Kyle Posterick
04-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Hey Guys,

A friend of mine is looking at a tracker 1860 Center Counsel with a 90hp Merc Optimax (rated to 90hp). He is looking to use it as a river fishing boat and some use as duck boat (blind on big water type).

I have been doing some looking around and I havent been able to find anything on setup for a rig like this, does anyone here have any experience with something similar?

He is looking for approx top end, prop selection, etc, he is looking at a jack plate to run as shallow as possible and get the most out of it. Not sure on setback yet.

Thanks!

locomoto
04-17-2012, 06:25 PM
A friend of mine has an Alumacraft I want to say 1760AW which is an all welded jon boat. He has a 50hp tiller and it's a screamer and a fantastic river rig.

Check out a tunnel hull...all you need is enough water to float the hull and you can let 'er rip wide open without a jack plate.

The DNR warden checked my license a couple weeks ago and he was running a center console G3 jon boat. It wasn't as big as you're talking but it was a cool rig.

Sorry I have nothing of value to add...I was just excited about somebody getting a cool river boat.

Water Fowl
04-18-2012, 03:56 PM
While I do not own an 1860, I do own an all-welded tracker jon boat. 1648 Grizzly with a 40hp to be exact. Use it on smaller lakes & rivers both fishing and duck hunting. It's been a pretty darn good boat for what I paid for it. That being said it is not up to the same construction standards as some of the other jon boats on the market (Xpress, War Eagle, Lowe, etc...) The welding on most tracker boats leaves a bit to be desired. Check the welds on the boat they have a reputation for breaking. I've broken 2 on mine in 12 years of owning the boat. A 90hp on an 1860 sounds about right from a combo standpoint. A tunnel hull and a jackplate would be an ideal setup IMO.

Nettels
04-19-2012, 07:14 AM
I just purchased a G3 1860 SC. (Put a 70 hp Yamaha on it), it was rated for 90 hp. Only had it out once, so far so good. I went with the G3 mostly
because it had more side depth than the others I checked. Look at G3's web site, they have lots of boat options to choose from.

Kyle Posterick
04-19-2012, 02:53 PM
What did you get out of it for speed?

Nettels
04-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Still breaking-in the motor so I didn't go full throttle. I am guessing 35's-40's ??? Even at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it seemed to move pretty good. I also bought this for a "river boat" and for the little I did get to fish out of it, it was nice. (My primary ride is a 620 Ranger and obviously the two don't compare, but I was pleased with it's performance).

Kyle Posterick
04-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Took a look and made some calls, the local dealer wants 21k with a 90 compared to 17-18 for a tracker/alumacraft.

Spoke with a local alumacraft dealer today, they have an Etec option which is appealing to my friend, 50lbs or so lighter over the other 90hp options. Hes thinking that may be the right direction for him.

DTC
07-30-2012, 09:53 AM
I have an 1860 tracker - model year 2000 with a 2000 2-stroke 40 merc, tiller set up. I run it on the missouri river on the nebraska / south dakota border area below Pickstown SD. I fish with it in the warmer weather and have a custom made pop-up duck blind that mounts on top. Bought them new back then.

Seams 40 hp has been plenty of motor for me....with my wife and I out fishing, running at 1/3 throttle gets us around just fine.

Only issue is when the wind gets up and creates 1.5-2 ft. or greater waves you really need to pay attention to what you are doing. Not the best rig for rough water. The boat has been problem-free, as has the motor.

I just throw a cover on it and it sits outside year around.

The custom boat blind works well, made by a guy just south of Norfolk Nebraska....

eagle19eye
07-30-2012, 03:44 PM
I have a 17ft Polar Kraft Sportsman. Its been a great boat. I have remote steering though. The places where I fish would just tear up a more expensive boat. Ive put a few things on it for trolling and also have a Minn Kota I pilot and HDS 7 which work great. Ive beaten this boat fairly hard and all of the welds have held up great.