: Anyway to stop spam from India??

JayM5209
06-11-2012, 06:50 PM
For the past two weeks or more I have been getting 6-10 spam emails per day from [[AT&TAppsBeta(at)att.sbc.bellsouth.juno.in]], all with a different subject line about jobs, insurance, deals on cars, etc., etc. No, I have never opened one or clicked on any links they may include. Don't know where someone's phishing program grabbed my email address, but it's a real pain. I have Outlook set to send them all directly to the Junk Mail folder, but it's annoying anyway. Is there anything else one can do to stop this kind of stuff before it gets to your In Box? Help, I'm looking for the URL or phone number of the global internet cops!

TIA

Apple Guy
06-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Who ever your email is with, go to the setting in your browser and see what the spam threshold setting is set at. Add the @ bla bla bla back half of the email in your block list on your ISP's command center on their site through the browser.

As for Internet cops....... Your on your own.

Rich S
06-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Who ever your email is with, go to the setting in your browser and see what the spam threshold setting is set at. Add the @ bla bla bla back half of the email in your block list on your ISP's command center on their site through the browser.

As for Internet cops....... Your on your own.

I gotta disagree man. There is a very easy way to stop this. Contact the guy that invented it:

www.Iinventedtheinternet.gov/algore

If he can't fix you up nobody can

Really, again
06-12-2012, 01:38 PM
I gotta disagree man. There is a very easy way to stop this. Contact the guy that invented it:

www.Iinventedtheinternet.gov/algore

If he can't fix you up nobody can

Your response was even dumber than al gore's, but very predictable.

Rich S
06-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Your response was even dumber than al gore's, but very predictable.

I will try to do better next time.

Suzuki
06-12-2012, 02:08 PM
I didnt think your response was unfunny.

Rich S
06-12-2012, 02:32 PM
I didnt think your response was unfunny.

But you are a registered user. When you can put a smile on a anon's face you really did something.

Apple Guy
06-12-2012, 03:18 PM
For the past two weeks or more I have been getting 6-10 spam emails per day from [[AT&TAppsBeta(at)att.sbc.bellsouth.juno.in]], all with a different subject line about jobs, insurance, deals on cars, etc., etc. No, I have never opened one or clicked on any links they may include. Don't know where someone's phishing program grabbed my email address, but it's a real pain. I have Outlook set to send them all directly to the Junk Mail folder, but it's annoying anyway. Is there anything else one can do to stop this kind of stuff before it gets to your In Box? Help, I'm looking for the URL or phone number of the global internet cops!

TIA

http://blog.trendmicro.com/same-operation-diversification-of-targets-being-spoofed-current-black-hole-exploit-kit-spam-runs/

AnonymousUserGuy
06-12-2012, 03:27 PM
It's very difficult on your own to block spam. In general, you want to find out if your ISP offers any sort of spam protection for their mail users and see what controls you have. Simply blacklisting a particular user is almost useless as "from" addresses are easily spoofed. Modern spam firewalls use a wide variety of criteria to determine if a message is junk or not... and even then you still get some garbage.

For example, the system I run will see about 20,000 messages per day. Of those, maybe 15% are actually delivered. Of that 15%, there will still be some junk mail. I've always told my users that the only way to be certain you won't get spam is to unplug your computer from the network.

bhky
06-14-2012, 08:55 AM
I have been getting multiple junk emails beginning about 2 weeks ago from that same sender: att.sbc.bellsouth.juno.in Just curious if you have found a way to stop them?

JayM5209
06-14-2012, 09:30 AM
I have been getting multiple junk emails beginning about 2 weeks ago from that same sender: att.sbc.bellsouth.juno.in Just curious if you have found a way to stop them?

Not yet. But, it's now 9:20 a.m. and I haven't seen any today! (That's a hahaha comment.) Yesterday saw five or six. I tagged that address as a blocked sender in my email program so they're still getting shunted to the Junk Mail folder. And, yesterday for the 1st time my McAfee internet security suite grabbed them and instead of letting them in the In Box sent them to the Unread Mail Folder.

I would think with what must be the volume and size of this spam attack, the ISPs would have a more effective shield up by now. But I'm not an IT pro. Sorry I can't be more helpful.