: Do you have an oar in your boat

fetchwillie
06-20-2012, 03:21 PM
How many people actually carry an oar with you. I recentally went from a 33' boat back down to a 21' boat and I just realized that I need to put an oar in this boat. What the Heck am I going to do with an oar on the Missouri River ?

Suzuki
06-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Yes. A canoe paddle.

Ned
06-20-2012, 04:25 PM
How many people actually carry an oar with you. I recentally went from a 33' boat back down to a 21' boat and I just realized that I need to put an oar in this boat. What the Heck am I going to do with an oar on the Missouri River ?

Why Do you have to have an oar?

I can tell you what you will do with a oar on the mighty Mo, Not a darn thing..:grin:

Wade B AKA: Ruger2506
06-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Yes we have to have a paddle in our boats here in MN. Not sure how they expect me paddle around 3000#.

Dacotah Eye
06-20-2012, 04:59 PM
I have a paddle.

GEE WHIZZ
06-20-2012, 05:05 PM
I carry one in mine, never want to be up the creek without a paddle...

UGLYSTIK52
06-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Yeah always cause you never know...and it could bail you out someday...:grin:

ffishman
06-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I actually carry 4 aluminum paddles on my boat. Weigth is not a concern, and there is plenty of room. The reason I carry them, there have been times I have tried to get through some really skinny water, and have gotten grounded. With each person pushing off or paddling, normally I can get my boat floating again. There have only been two times, when I was stuck so bad, I actually had to get out and push the boat free.

gofishwalleye
06-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I have two...can't remember where but the requirement was two. Second is worthless other than self defense, it's two foot long but it is a paddle!

Ned
06-20-2012, 06:02 PM
I have two...can't remember where but the requirement was two. Second is worthless other than self defense, it's two foot long but it is a paddle!

I thought it was a requirement at one point or another to have an oar also.

But looking at the new handbook it doesnt appear to be that way anymore.

http://www.boat-ed.com/sd/handbook/checklist.htm

Bill Krejca
06-20-2012, 06:10 PM
I have 2 long paddles plus 2 -2 piece sturdy aluminum poles. Never had to use the poles, the pieces of which can be held together by a wing-nut and screw. I figured they would be handy for pushing off of reefs, etc.

Bill Krejca

Nimstug
06-20-2012, 06:14 PM
I keep one in my 16.5' boat in a rod locker that I don't use as a rod locker.

Explorer
06-20-2012, 06:28 PM
There are two sides to a boat and 99% of the time there are at least two people in my boat. Therefore there are two paddles. I just hate having someone watch me do all the work. Have never used either one and hope I never do.

Phil T
06-20-2012, 06:53 PM
I have an oar, but it's only used to push off from shore when I beach my boat.

aguest
06-20-2012, 07:07 PM
I have one in the boat as it is a requirement. If it was not a requirement then heck no. You just are not going to paddle that big boat no matter how motivated you are.

mrwalleye5
06-20-2012, 08:41 PM
I have two paddles and the only jam it got me out of was when I took the wife out on mother's day fishing and the ice was not quite off the lake. While fishing amongst some islands, a slight wind blew a huge ice flow in trapping us into the north end of the lake. Used the paddles to bust ice for most of one afternoon.

Wife was not impressed!

Jimmy Jig
06-20-2012, 08:48 PM
The only reason I cary a 5 ft. paddle is to push off them shore if I beach the boat.
I have had to beach the boat on an island when a storm came up in Canada.

keek
06-20-2012, 09:20 PM
I carry a 10' mooring pole that collapses to half the size. I like having a longer pole vs a paddle to get out of the shallows once I beach the boat.

Burr
06-20-2012, 09:27 PM
No paddle for me. That's like placing a bet to lose.

T Mac
06-20-2012, 10:09 PM
I carry a paddle.
I have always carried one.

CSH Kucinski
06-21-2012, 06:49 AM
I carry a paddle which is required and like Keek a 10' collapsible pole.

eriksat1
06-21-2012, 08:41 AM
I have never carried one, and I don't think it is a law in WI.? My boat reg. says it is 16' even though the Ranger measures 18' from tip of bow to transome. If my big motor and trolling motor both crap out I will let the wind have its way with me until I hit shore. I'm sure as heck not going to paddle very far even if I had one.

Grimm
06-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Oh come on REW. Where are you? Please tell us a story about how useful these things are.

grizzley
06-21-2012, 09:33 AM
don't have any; but then again, we always go up river, and can just float back down.

I need to get one or more for the boat. really don't think they would be too usefull trying to manuver a 1654 tracker grizzley back up the river, but at least could get it over to the shore, or to the next downstream launch, which could be quite a distance from where we launched.
as others mentioned, would probablly be used more for pushing out of shallows than anything.
I always carried oars on my other boats, and will have either a paddle or oars on this one too.

fetchwillie
06-21-2012, 09:41 AM
I thought it was a requirement at one point or another to have an oar also.

But looking at the new handbook it doesnt appear to be that way anymore.

http://www.boat-ed.com/sd/handbook/checklist.htm

Yeap, called GFP and South Dakota DOES NOT require an Oar anymore.

eriksat1
06-21-2012, 03:33 PM
A good 2 piece 12 ft. push pole with a duck foot would be of a lot more use than a oar or paddle.

Seedtree
06-21-2012, 07:56 PM
I have a plastic paddle that collapses down to a couple feet in length or so. The main reason I have it is because I fish quite a bit on a lake that only allows electric motors, so I use it around the landing to prevent grinding my trolling motor prop in the rocks. Also, it has a good hook-type handle that allows me to grab a dock cleat and pull in the boat to tie it off.

Wouldn't want to try to paddle for distance with this puppy.

REW
06-22-2012, 12:46 AM
It might surprise you, but YES, you can paddle a 3000 lb boat with a paddle.
When you buy a paddle for your boat, be sure to get one with a handle that is long enough so that you can paddle from the side of the boat and actually reach the water.

If the wind is not beating you up, it is surprising how far you can actually paddle a rather heavy rig.

REW

Crawler Killer
06-22-2012, 10:37 AM
For movement an oar in a big boat is basically useless but most states require one in the boat. The most comon use for an oar is as a push stick when you get run up in shallow water.

In my part of the country waving an oar over your head is the recognized signal for being in some kind of trouble, broke down or a medical emergency for instance. Sooner or later it will happen so its a good idea to have one with you on the boat.

4JawChuck
06-22-2012, 01:33 PM
I've rowed a fully loaded 21ft boat to shore before, about half a kilometer across a fast moving river.

It's not impossible, pretty thankful we had two in the boat...if we only had one it would have taken a lot longer to Scull that distance with one oar.

I find it hard to believe people think it's a useless device, saved our sorry butts that day. The walk back to the launch was the worst part...not having oars would have meant a swim across the river to the side where there was a road...that swim would have been very dangerous with the rip from the current.

I was happy to be alive and dry.

jackd3220
06-22-2012, 03:13 PM
In Pa. I think if over 16 ft its required . I saw a guy one day at the lake sticking a piece of tree branch in the water and watched awhile and he was pulling himself back to the dock about 100 yds away .His battery went dead . I always carry a paddle and I let him use my extra battery since I have a trolling motor in the front and back with 3 batteries . I never used it so somebodys looking over me .