: Opinions on gel batteries

Verado Eyes
06-24-2012, 01:07 PM
I need opinions on gel batteries and i will be running 3 - batteries for 101,
This boat is in rough waves. I have never used them but would like the truth about them

REW
06-24-2012, 01:33 PM
They work,
They are expensive.
They will last at least a year.

Prov275
06-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Optimas 31 series i know a lot of people on here don't like em,But i love em wouldn't have anything else you get what you pay for.

acar555
06-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Optima batteries are AGM. They are not Gel. AGM batteries charge like standard wet lead acid batteries do, gel batteries require special charging.

Explorer
06-24-2012, 03:30 PM
A waste of your money

GarryB
06-24-2012, 04:37 PM
I bought my Optima batteries in April 2007 and I have had zero problems with them. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Verado Eyes
06-24-2012, 05:30 PM
What are the Interstate Pro ECL series, Pro 29m batteries like?

4JawChuck
06-24-2012, 05:44 PM
I only use gel batteries in high frequency vibration products like motorcycles, ATVs etc, in those applications they are worth the extra cost. For marine I prefer AGMs, I think a gel battery is overkill for a boat...not that it wouldn't work just fine though.

1860Angler
06-24-2012, 06:44 PM
I wouldnt waste the money on gel batteries in a boat. I would do Group 31 AGM batteries.

Burr
06-25-2012, 09:14 AM
What are the Interstate Pro ECL series, Pro 29m batteries like?

The Pro ECL Series is a new battery from Interstate. Instead of spiral canisters like the Optima, the lead is in flat mats.

They are designed for rather long service intervals. We are looking at them for usage in our Refridgeration units on Semi Trailers. @ $40 more than Optimas. It's nice to not have to deal with acid in the boat, vibration is not as destructive, and recharging is faster. I can't say I see any longer service life than acid batteries. Warranty has been important for me on Optimas, I thought hard about pushing for the Pro ECL model but with my Optima warranty coverage, the new Optimas were in my boat before I reall had the chance to discuss it.

Hot Runr Guy
06-25-2012, 09:25 AM
The Pro ECL Series is a new battery from Interstate. @ $40 more than Optimas.

Interesting about the price. Their propaganda say's a fraction of the price of AGM's.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Content.aspx?dsNav=Ntk~SearchGroup%7CProECLRetail1 %7C3%7C

HRG

Burr
06-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Interesting about the price. Their propaganda say's a fraction of the price of AGM's.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Content.aspx?dsNav=Ntk~SearchGroup%7CProECLRetail1 %7C3%7C

HRG

I may have just made a huge mistake in my description. Yeah, the Pro ECL looks like the new lead-acid battery, not the one I'm describing.

The one I'm describing is not on the website yet. Our Interstate distribution center just got them in about 2 weeks ago, he had previously said they would not be introduced until @ August this year. My mistake, the Pro ECL is a different battery than I had in mind.

Verado Eyes
06-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Are the pro ecl better than the other interstate batteries?

Hot Runr Guy
06-25-2012, 11:46 AM
I may have just made a huge mistake in my description. Yeah, the Pro ECL looks like the new lead-acid battery, not the one I'm describing.

The one I'm describing is not on the website yet. Our Interstate distribution center just got them in about 2 weeks ago, he had previously said they would not be introduced until @ August this year. My mistake, the Pro ECL is a different battery than I had in mind.

Looks like a new extreme AGM is in the near future from Interstate.

http://fleetowner.com/news/interstate-unveils-more-rugged-agm-battery-design

Verado Eyes
06-25-2012, 12:01 PM
I wonder how long till we can get AGM interstates?????

Burr
06-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Looks like a new extreme AGM is in the near future from Interstate.

http://fleetowner.com/news/interstate-unveils-more-rugged-agm-battery-design

Could not open that link, but the fleetowner website does have another article that I could open.

http://fleetowner.com/equipment/whatsnewin/fleet_whats_new_batteries_8

208ProV - they are available now at the Interstate Distrubution Center in Fargo. I had a warranty issue to process @ 10 days ago with them. After I got my Optimas addressed, I then saw the Manager and said - 'it's too bad this happened before the new AGM you were talking about is availailable'. He walked me over and said - there it is - we got some 3 days ago... Haven't sold any yet, just came in...

It does come with 36 month full replacement warranty. The balance of Amp hours, and CCA was not as high as anticipated, but still very good. It seems like increasing one of those ratings, is usually at the expense of the other, in addition to non-compliance with how it's measured from brand to brand.

It's not an orbital design, it's flat lead mats. And - it is spendy...

The only thing keeping me on blue tops is I keep getting new ones under warranty.