: Retractable Boarding Ladder on Lund Explorer

MNPIKE
09-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Guys -

The Lund Crossover has an integrated boarding ladder that spans that rear splash area. Has anyone put something like this on their own boat?

I use the fold up ladders for when the kids want to ski, tube, or just jump off the boat on a hot day, but it would be nice to have one of these on my explorer. I am not in need of anything like a platform on the transom, but this stows away in such a way that it is hidden when not in use.

Thanks!!

Lundexp
09-04-2012, 05:39 PM
I have been wanting something like that on my Explorer too. Hope someone has a answer to your question.

moose-hunter
09-04-2012, 06:21 PM
No answer here, but that set up is on my winter project short list for my Pro-V.

jeffbilodeau
09-04-2012, 07:06 PM
I have been wanting something like that on my Explorer too. Hope someone has a answer to your question.
Same "boat" here. (pun intended). Whatever fits a newer Explorer should fit my boat. Using a fold up now but would like something a little better and possibly something that could be easily attached and unattached to the splashwell.

1860Angler
09-04-2012, 07:35 PM
I hope someone from Lund is watching, it looks like a number of people that are looking for the same thing, maybe should be an option offered by Lund and Lund dealers?

rwl
09-05-2012, 07:25 AM
It's a winter project for me too, on my Lund 186GL Fisherman, would love that opposite my kicker. Didn't like the 186 GLTyee, but the ladder would have been nice.

ptm
09-05-2012, 07:52 AM
My dealer put this on my Pro V from an older Lund design. Not as trick as the x-over but will get you out of the water and its out of the way when I'm fishing which is about 99% of the time.

WorkerBee
09-05-2012, 10:30 AM
I've been wanting one for my Explorer as well. I was looking at doing something like what PTM had done. I'm not sure how to attach the platform to the boat, but I have not looked at it very closely. I like how it wraps around the the top of the transom. I guess it's something I will have to put on my list of winter projects too.

PTM, what ladder is that? Is it sturdy enough?

b

Crunchy
09-05-2012, 10:49 AM
I have the same ladder. It was a factory option on my 2012 Impact from Lund. Its aluminum, and bolts to the rear deck & transom. Holds a 200lb man easily.

I've been wanting one for my Explorer as well. I was looking at doing something like what PTM had done. I'm not sure how to attach the platform to the boat, but I have not looked at it very closely. I like how it wraps around the the top of the transom. I guess it's something I will have to put on my list of winter projects too.

PTM, what ladder is that? Is it sturdy enough?

b

Waterboy12
09-05-2012, 01:22 PM
I had one added to my 2012 Impact too. It was a relatively inexpensive option, and has come in handy on many occasions already.

TheUntangler
01-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Does this fit the Impact with a flip up jump seat? I bought a regular swim platform but am thinking of not installing it and selling to get the flip up Lund ladder for a 2011 Impact sport.
Thanks

Doug_999
01-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Here is what we did with my Lund when ladder did not come stock. It is not hidden but works well holds a 200+ and has yet to get in way when fishing or get in the way when accessing motor well.

CSH Kucinski
01-05-2013, 12:04 PM
This what I am considering, not sure yet how it would fit. More for safety reasons than anything is why I am considerign it and it would be out of the way.

http://www.basscatstore.com/e-ladder.aspx

Waterboy12
01-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Does this fit the Impact with a flip up jump seat? I bought a regular swim platform but am thinking of not installing it and selling to get the flip up Lund ladder for a 2011 Impact sport.
Thanks

Here's how the ladder's mounted on the Impact. A simple platform across a part of the splash well, does not get in the way of the fold up jump seats at all. You just have to be sure it's fully retracted when converting from casting platform to jump seats.

TheUntangler
01-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Perfect, pics a huge help. I have a buyer on the other one and will be getting the fold up. Thanks

Spendit
01-07-2013, 10:14 AM
I asked LUND if those in the pictures would fit my '06 - they said they cannot backward engineer to assure fit. Dealer wanted $300 to order one - I decided not worth the risk and continue to look for solutions - keep the replies coming please

steve.a
01-08-2013, 06:24 AM
I liked the set up I installed on my explorer with the platform. It gets the ladder away from the boat so you do not hit your toes. I had to slightly bend the top bracket over to fasten at the top.

TheUntangler
01-08-2013, 11:31 AM
The outside ladder is a little nicer for stepping and and out but it was going to be tight with a tow rope clip and it looked like it would get in the way of the rope on turns as well so went with the flip up.

Doug_999
01-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Not to hijack this post but u bring up a good point I tow a lot behind my lund (never had a problem with the back mounted ladder) but I did blow up the locking clamp for my cover on the back of my motor once and I have had the rope come up under the clip twice tubing ($50 replace). See picture. Has this ever happened to anybody here and what do u think can be done to prevent?

tcthe3rd
01-09-2013, 07:00 AM
I mounted a Garelick Gull Wing Boarding Ladder on an 06 explorer. some pros mounting bracket above water line, can be removed from back of boat, folds up, very strong. cons price, takes up space when not mounted on boat. also very easy to get into boat form water.

next please
01-09-2013, 07:16 PM
This what I am considering, not sure yet how it would fit. More for safety reasons than anything is why I am considerign it and it would be out of the way.

http://www.basscatstore.com/e-ladder.aspx

If your motor mounts directly onto the transom then I don't think this would work. Would it? Looks good and definitely unobtrusive.

toonafish
01-09-2013, 07:37 PM
I installed same set up as waterboy12 on my 2011 Impact, I modified the platform so it flushed out with the decking along the gunnel. I pulled carpeting loose of back flange and cut the flange off (don't cut carpet off you will want to fold it under before you screw to transom) and notched the sides so it sat lower on transom. Drilled holes and bolted front flange to underside of casting platform,drilled holes and put three screws through top of transom. Flushed out perfect ,love the set up.

Pete_
01-10-2013, 03:16 PM
where do you get those ladders?? 3step or 4step? i want to do that on my alumacraft 165cs magnum..... thanks

Doug_999
01-10-2013, 03:21 PM
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Telescoping-Drop-Ladder-2-Step&i=76243&aID=601K1&merchID=4006

CSH Kucinski
01-10-2013, 06:44 PM
If your motor mounts directly onto the transom then I don't think this would work. Would it? Looks good and definitely unobtrusive.

Just not sure about the answer to that question??? I need to look into this further.

CSH Kucinski
01-10-2013, 06:45 PM
I mounted a Garelick Gull Wing Boarding Ladder on an 06 explorer. some pros mounting bracket above water line, can be removed from back of boat, folds up, very strong. cons price, takes up space when not mounted on boat. also very easy to get into boat form water.

Can you send some pictures?

toonafish
01-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Pete , I ordered mine through my Lund Dealer

andreej
01-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Hey Doug 999,
Is the ladder that you have pictures of on the back of your lund the same as the one you posted a link to at overtons?? If not, do you know where you got it from? I like that it stays out of the boat and doesn't fold up into the boat!

Thanks!!

tcthe3rd
01-11-2013, 06:01 AM
boat is in storage, don't have any pictures. bracket mounts on transom with an al. backing plate (separate did not come with)I put on the other side. bought it form west marine. it slides on the bracket and locks in with a pin. e- ladder bolts to the transom using longer bolts that hold the motor on

MNPIKE
03-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Update..

I ordered the three step retractable from overtons and will adding this to my explorer once it comes in the mail.

I have a couple concept drawn out, so no I just get to play with the details!

Thanks

MNPIKE
07-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Final update on the boarding ladder project...it is complete!

I followed the angles of the side rod holder up to the rear platform and then overlapped the ladder platform on the transom and the side rod holder. I also made a contoured side piece to allow all of the motor cables/hoses to freely pass underneath.

All overlapped sections are dado cut to assist in alignment and assembly since I am using existing mounting holes in the transom rail and the side rod locker (where possible).

Finally, I bolted on some black delrin block wedges to keep the ladded at a slight angle when it is is the water.

It's rock solid, the only side not secured is the opening for the cables the other sides are bolted/screwed down with SS fasteners.

Very happy with the end results!

rwl
07-15-2013, 12:50 PM
looks great! I am doing something very similar, hope to start tonight. Being a different boat (186GL) I think I can use an under mounted telescoping ladder, my transom is ~4" lower than the rear casting deck. Hope to have pictures soon. I also elected to go with marine board, but that carpet sure looks nice.

MNPIKE
07-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks and good luck with your project.

DRAG
07-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Looks great. I need to build the same for my boat.

rwl
08-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Okay, I know this is an old thread, way back in it I said I was making a ladder for my 186GL. Here are a few pictures. I got a PM June 30th that I just saw last week, been a busy summer and someone asked what I used. Not sure if I should have started a new thread? So here it is.

I still can't decide if it should be carpeted or not, I kinda like it not because the kids put on the wakeboard and can just slide off into the water, plus a few fish were filleted on it, and that is also where we net the salmon and musky's so it is a nice area to lay them when removing hooks. Carpet would look better though.

It is all 3/4" Starboard, stainless fasteners, and a Garelick telescoping ladder for under a swim platform. I have about $125 and 2 hours in it. It was meant to be a prototype, but for how long it took to get to it I just might never get it done just the way I want, but it is very functional. Not so sure I like the grey color but I thought white might get dirty with the textured surface, now that I see it is very easily cleaned I could have used white. Plus I thought the grey was darker to match the carpet. That's what you get ordering stuff online.

I was going to make it flush with the back casting deck but decided to lay it on top and notch out for the ski pylon attachment post because it will keep me from kneeling on that post which doesn't feel to good.

The ladder is easily deployed from the water in case of emergency, and it can stand up to driving around all day extended, while tubing even, don't ask how I know that.

Anyway hope this help someone with this boat.

PS: I might add a handhold cut right into it, but it has been fine so far.