Yamaha F6 kicker opinion?

Junior58er
10-30-2012, 07:06 AM
I am looking for a good quality affordable kicker for my G3. It is a 17.5 deep v aluminum. I have my eye on an Yamaha F6. I am hoping this is a suitable kicker for pulling harnesses and as a backup for emergencies to the main. It would primarily be used in deep channels and not overly rough water. I know that a T8 would be a better choice but quite a bit more money which is not an option to spend that much. Would the new F6 serve its purpose on my size boat and within budget? Anyone have this particular model? Thanks.

crosbystick
10-30-2012, 07:18 AM
For what u intend to use it for u should be fine nice running motor!!

Bigstorm
10-30-2012, 11:23 AM
out of curiousity, what is the ballpark price difference between the T8 and F6? I have seen the T9.9 ranging from $2600 to $3100 but havent see neither of the others listed anywhere

Andre (wallyandre)
10-30-2012, 11:25 AM
The 6 is a 1 cylinder so it doesn't run as smooth as a cylinders. The older I think in 2004 the 6 was a 2 cylinders.

Junior58er
10-30-2012, 11:48 AM
out of curiousity, what is the ballpark price difference between the T8 and F6? I have seen the T9.9 ranging from $2600 to $3100 but havent see neither of the others listed anywhereThe newer T8's are in the upper $2000 range at best while the F6 can be had for around $1500

Junior58er
10-30-2012, 11:49 AM
The 6 is a 1 cylinder so it doesn't run as smooth as a cylinders. The older I think in 2004 the 6 was a 2 cylinders.I read that the 2010's had been redesigned and tested to reduce that single cylinder vibration using counterbalanced handles and such.

jigstop
10-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Just remember that the mount on the F6 is not designed for high speed or rough conditions. If you run your boat WOT expect to have damaged mounts, or in the worst case, a motor missing off your transom!

Junior58er
10-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Just remember that the mount on the F6 is not designed for high speed or rough conditions. If you run your boat WOT expect to have damaged mounts, or in the worst case, a motor missing off your transom!Hmmmmm... That is not real encouraging. Are you saying that while the main motor is running and the kicker is in the up position it is possible to lose the whole rig on rough waters while running?

kliph
10-30-2012, 01:41 PM
I think your best bet would be to buy a used T8.
The T8 was (it's not made any more) made for being a kicker.
And it has an electric start, charger and power tilt.
Just my 2 cents.

lou gill
10-30-2012, 02:10 PM
You really should look at the 6 hp Suziki, it has the highest cc and a little better price.

Lou

Junior58er
10-30-2012, 03:24 PM
You really should look at the 6 hp Suziki, it has the highest cc and a little better price.

LouI've been mulling over the Yamaha, Suzuki, and Merc models. Been doing a lot of research and found the best reviews on the net about the Yammis and mixed reviews on the Suzuki kickers. I'm more concerned about the aforementioned mounting and instability of the portable kickers now and their sturdiness with the factory clamps. I really don't want to drill into the transom if I want to take it on and off and I don't want the price for everything to go up and up ....... Lake St. Clair can and does get waves up to four feet on a busy summer day. I don't need my new kicker falling off .......

Lundexp
10-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Keep your eye on craigslist for a T8. 2 years ago i bought a 2004 T8 with 50 hours on it and was like brand new for $1,300. The T8 has a stronger bracket and has power start and tilt while the F6 is all manual I believe and is only made for pushing small boats. I have had my T8 out in rough conditions trolling and my first year I had it I only used the 2 toggle clamps on the bracket to hold it on, it actually got pushed to the side and almost came off when I had to make a sudden reverse to avoid hitting rocks I couldn't see. I didn't want to but I ended up drilling and bolting it to the transom.

Lundexp
10-30-2012, 06:33 PM
The newer T8's are in the upper $2000 range at best while the F6 can be had for around $1500

But the F6 does not have power tilt like the T8 does so that makes up quite a bit of the difference in price.

Junior58er
10-30-2012, 06:39 PM
But the F6 does not have power tilt like the T8 does so that makes up quite a bit of the difference in price.i know and that would be nice ..... I can't seem to find a great used kicker in the SE Michigan area as they get snapped up immediately. My budget is firm at $1500 new or used ....... The channels I fish are 20-50ft deep with steady current but usually low on any real wave heights because of the depth.

Lundexp
10-30-2012, 06:53 PM
You may have to search a bit further and be willing to take a road trip if you find a good deal on a T8. I found mine in Missouri and had to drive 5 hours to pick it up but it was worth it. JMO

jigstop
10-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Hmmmmm... That is not real encouraging. Are you saying that while the main motor is running and the kicker is in the up position it is possible to lose the whole rig on rough waters while running?

It's possible. The mount on a F6 was only designed to be strong enough for a boat going at the speed a F6 will move it - like 4mph, not 30 or 40. There is a reason that kicker motors are listed as kicker motors. It's not just a low powered motor but the mount, the prop, and the gearing. Take the others advice and try to find a used T8.

yarcraft91
10-31-2012, 04:07 AM
I have run conventional small outboards as kicker motors for many years and never had trouble with the mounts. My Yarcraft, used mainly on Saginaw Bay, has a Mariner 15 horse kicker that has been in use since 1999. The kicker is bolted in place. I don't try to charge through 3'-4' waves at 40 mph, maybe that's why I don't have trouble with the motor mounts.

A heavy-duty motor mount and power tilt/trim is all nice, but I've lived without these for a long time.

lou gill
10-31-2012, 07:23 AM
You could look at this mount, electric and durable:

Auxiliary Motor Lift Model 35LE Ranger
SKU: 5500350

The Auxiliary Motor Lift Model 35LE Ranger is the same rugged design as the powerful Model 35. The specially designed transom plate is made to fit the contoured transom of Ranger© and Lund© Pro V boats. The heavy duty bracket easily handles auxiliary outboards up to 40hp or 150 pounds. Kicker motors are supported in any position with this durable design.

Used by tournament fishermen all around the country the auxiliary motor lift is rugged, reliable, and tournament tested.

Lou

rmsteve
10-31-2012, 05:47 PM
The 8 would be nice but I wouldn't hesitate to use the 6hp on a boat that size. Been trolling Lake O for 30yrs and hundreds of guys use them or even ancient kickers. The t8's are the cream of the crop for sure but for some of us money is an object so buy what you can afford, be happy with it and don't put too much thought into those mounts unless you plan on blasting through big waves which will beat the crap out of your whole rig not just the kicker.

Junior58er
10-31-2012, 06:03 PM
The 8 would be nice but I wouldn't hesitate to use the 6hp on a boat that size. Been trolling Lake O for 30yrs and hundreds of guys use them or even ancient kickers. The t8's are the cream of the crop for sure but for some of us money is an object so buy what you can afford, be happy with it and don't put too much thought into those mounts unless you plan on blasting through big waves which will beat the crap out of your whole rig not just the kicker.That's a bit more refreshing ........I'm not a ballz to the wall nut with my boat anyhow. I really would like something more expensive but I have to know when to say when. I bought my boat last september and have spent more then enough. This kicker would only be used occasionally anyhow.

kliph
10-31-2012, 07:28 PM
One more thought, the F6 would work fine, but is your main engine
a four-stroke?

Junior58er
10-31-2012, 07:31 PM
One more thought, the F6 would work fine, but is your main engine
a four-stroke?No, it is a 150 Yammi 2 stroke .......??

kliph
10-31-2012, 09:38 PM
No, it is a 150 Yammi 2 stroke .......??

As long as you don't premix your fuel it shouldn't matter.
Do you have extra fuel outlet for the F6?
The one disadvantage of a T8 is, it's not made to use on a
small boat, but the F6/8 is.
I sometimes wish I had an F8 (instead of the T8) so I could use
on my 12' boat.
Now I have to premix the fuel for my 6 hp Johnson.
Just a thought.:cheers:

Junior58er
11-01-2012, 03:09 AM
As long as you don't premix your fuel it shouldn't matter.
Do you have extra fuel outlet for the F6?
The one disadvantage of a T8 is, it's not made to use on a
small boat, but the F6/8 is.
I sometimes wish I had an F8 (instead of the T8) so I could use
on my 12' boat.
Now I have to premix the fuel for my 6 hp Johnson.
Just a thought.:cheers:No, I do not premix my gas and my G3 has an auxiliary hookup direct to the gas tank not being used currently.

bruiser
11-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Biggest thing I would be worried about is the mount. A friend of mine cheaped out and bought a standard tahotsu (spelling?) to try and save some money vs a pro kicker/T8/ETC. Green Bay musky fishing, 25 minutes into the run, mount busted in two pieces, engine came right off the back. Ripped the fuel line, etc and all he was left with was half of an engine mount.....

grasshopper armory
11-02-2012, 01:23 PM
how does he do with anvils?:bigsmile:

Junior58er
11-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Biggest thing I would be worried about is the mount. A friend of mine cheaped out and bought a standard tahotsu (spelling?) to try and save some money vs a pro kicker/T8/ETC. Green Bay musky fishing, 25 minutes into the run, mount busted in two pieces, engine came right off the back. Ripped the fuel line, etc and all he was left with was half of an engine mount..... Are you suggesting that the over the transom mounts and two tightening bolts are insufficient in most cases and the motor should be bolted directly to the outside of the transom instead? Aren't most of the portable kickers mounts the same on the Yamahas, Mercs, Suzukis, etc.?

bruiser
11-02-2012, 05:09 PM
How you bolt it really doesn't matter.(someone more qualified may answer better) What I am saying is the mounts are completely different. For example, I believe the over transom mount on a 9.9 pro kicker actually is equivalent to what is on a 25 hp merc. Also has centering straps, power tilt, etc. big difference is mount

Lundexp
11-02-2012, 05:58 PM
The mounts on the kickers built as kickers are built alot heavier and thicker than the regular smaller outboards made for pushing smaller boats, especially the kickers with power trim. On rough days with the kickers trimmed up they hardly ever rock or bounce while you are traveling to another spot, but the cheaper regular small outboard with manual tilt just rocks back and forth up and down hammering on the tilt stop and usually something breaks or the whole thing breaks off.