: Larson FX 2020

1860Angler
12-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Larson has the new FX2020 on there website. Looks pretty nice, I'll be curious to see the reviews of this boat.

http://www.takeitto11.com/fxseries/

Eric_CO
12-19-2012, 11:45 AM
It looks sick, but I like all walleye boats to be honest. LOL

The 2020 dc has a 250 hp rating and a 35 gallon fuel tank. :badidea: IMHO

doubleheader
12-20-2012, 06:16 AM
If I were in the market for a boat I have to say I'd give this boat a look, especially if it were a year or two down the road, after the inevitable tweaks have been made. For that sale to occur however, and I think this would apply to most anyone looking for a boat in this class, I would have to feel comfortable that I wouldn't sacrifice features and workmanship for the sake of a few thousand bucks. After all, the boat itself is only one element of a rigs total cost. I don't know enough about the VEC technology to know whether it truly produces a superior boat at a breakthru cost or it produces just a serviceable or even mediocre boat that's only benefit is price point. Very interesting though for sure.

Gull Lake Guy
12-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Does anyone know of a dealership in Minnesota that has a 20' tiller in stock. Photos look good, but I would like to see one in person. THANKS

bobco
12-20-2012, 06:50 AM
what the track record on those vec hulls? they been around for a while now anybody got feedback.

fishtician
12-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Olson Brothers Marine, in Derby, NY NY ( Eastern End Lake Erie) Has the FX 2020DC on its show room floor with a 250 VROD, 9.9 Kicker, HDS and Bowmount all prerigged. I think 49,000. I sat in the boat. Very Nice...

MERCONLY
12-20-2012, 07:51 AM
VEC is a awesome application, whether or not its used to its full potential im not sure....Iive seen them in person and its pretty nice, not perfect but its a Price Point product, how they will compare to Nitro and Stratos, Yar Craft, Ranger and Warrior I have no idea....Price them all out you may be shocked...

Burr
12-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Does anyone know of a dealership in Minnesota that has a 20' tiller in stock. Photos look good, but I would like to see one in person. THANKS

There's one close to you - Just north of the cities on 35, I think the dealer is in Wyoming, MN. My brother stopped and saw one there.

Gull Lake Guy
12-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Found it - thanks Burr !

crosbystick
12-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Theres one between Aitkin and Mille Lacs they have all models in stock !!!

gillysmi
03-01-2013, 09:36 PM
i spent some time in one of these at a boat show today. really good looking boat. lots of usable storage. huge bow... for the money right at 48k with 250 verado and kicker and some other options.

i would like to see some more reviews and would def consider in my next purchase.

crosbystick
03-02-2013, 08:42 AM
FArm Island Repair and Marine on Hwy 169 By Mille Lacs

REW
03-03-2013, 01:59 PM
My neighbors 20 foot glastron uses a VEC hull. He has used it quite a bit, and has had 0 issues with the hull.

In his case, the hull design is excellent and it has a nice soft ride, the runs in the high 50s with the engine he has in the boat.
Nice and quiet hull as well.

REW

97roughneck
03-03-2013, 09:34 PM
i spent some time in one of these at a boat show today. really good looking boat. lots of usable storage. huge bow... for the money right at 48k with 250 verado and kicker and some other options.

i would like to see some more reviews and would def consider in my next purchase.

X2 for me. I sat in the same boat at the same show and can't get it out of my head. Guess I'll have to start playing the lottery, at my age I'll never save 48K:help:

eye4aneye
03-04-2013, 09:15 AM
My neighbors 20 foot glastron uses a VEC hull. He has used it quite a bit, and has had 0 issues with the hull.

In his case, the hull design is excellent and it has a nice soft ride, the runs in the high 50s with the engine he has in the boat.
Nice and quiet hull as well.

REW

I've got a friend with a 20' Sea Ray that is a VEC. I can't say it rides better than a 620 but it is definitely better than a tin boat. It is a bit noisy as well but the 5.7 V8 and the wakeboard tower both have something to do with that. I'd be interested to see if they fill that hull with foam, that really kills hull noise.

As far as reliability of the VEC design.. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more VEC's running in coastal waters than all of the Skeeters, Rangers, Lunds and Yarcrafts combined. They are so much cheaper to build than a hand laid boat, they could overhaul the fishing boat market in a big way.

MERCONLY
03-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Your buddys Sea Ray shouldnt have VEC, VEC is a Genmar thing, Genmar is now gone but Erwin Jacobs still owns VEC and uses it on Larson, In the Past it was used in Larson also.....Sea Ray is a Brunswick brand, Brunswick and Erwin were never friends....

eye4aneye
03-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Your buddys Sea Ray shouldnt have VEC, VEC is a Genmar thing, Genmar is now gone but Erwin Jacobs still owns VEC and uses it on Larson, In the Past it was used in Larson also.....Sea Ray is a Brunswick brand, Brunswick and Erwin were never friends....

I'll have to look at it again, it's in my building... I thought it had a VEC badge on it.

AllenW
11-15-2013, 10:02 PM
fwiw LaCannes has a tiller and a walk through now, nice boats going to look next week.
Looking for reviews..anybody??

Al

srj
11-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Allen, you could call Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods. I believe Tom from Wigwam ran one as a guide boat on L-O-W and I'm sure he would give you his take.

AllenW
11-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Allen, you could call Wigwam Resort on Lake of the Woods. I believe Tom from Wigwam ran one as a guide boat on L-O-W and I'm sure he would give you his take.

Thanks, we're off to take a look see now and take a closer look at one.

Al

LittleHubert
11-18-2013, 08:23 PM
I've researched the larson fx series a lot, I've ridden in them, and I am now purchasing a Larson 2020 DC. I've had new Lund and my last boat was an 08 Ranger 620 (will not own aluminum anymore). I've never owned skeeter, I looked a bit at skeeter prior to this Larson purchase, but never owned.

My experience and research is that the 2020 has a ride comparable to the Ranger 620 in big water. The interior of Ranger 620 is far superior (the interior of a ranger 620 is superior to anything, in my opinion). The interior of the Larson is similar to a reata, I think (reata guys may say I'm incorrect, I see a lot of similar low cost approaches to reata and Larson interior designs, however).

A 2014 Ranger 620 rigged how I would like is approaching $25-$30k ***more*** than the Larson of the same setup. For me: a dad of two kids, a serious fisherman (I will hit some tourneys in 2014 as well as my regular haunts), and someone who has a tough time spending "Ranger Money" when I have college tuition to think about down the line......I have to say I'm pumped about my new Larson! Also, admittedly, my wife likes the style of the Larson on the outside more than skeeter, so it played a factor.

I was one of the skeptical ones, for sure - but I have learned of the dedication by Larson to this series of boats (they redesigned the hull on the fx series after feedback from guides and pros on boat control and ride in 2012) and I have been learning of their dedication to provide higher quality at a lower cost. Time will tell, of course, but I'm a buyer for now!

Admittedly, I could have looked harder at skeeter (still higher cost than larson). Personally, I'm pumped and I will be able to close any gaps through rigging as I need. When I bought my Ranger, I never thought I could own anything else - never say never!

mtwarrior
11-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Saw one on the water last summer over here on Sakakawea, was a nice looking setup, dealer over in Garrison,ND sells them, still has some in stock. Am sure it's a price point boat, just like the Stratos 326. Can get into that 20' dreamboat for $50k, depends on how they stand up.