: i-Pilot Link installation guide

Jason Halfen
02-26-2013, 09:20 AM
I've received a number of questions from new (or future) i-Pilot Link owners, wondering how to integrate their system into an existing (or new) Humminbird ethernet network. Here are some install tips to keep in mind:

Networks with a single Humminbird fish finder:

These are the easiest. Run the Ethernet cable from the i-Pilot Link control head to the Ethernet port on your Humminbird fish finder. Install complete! The only additional piece that may be required is an Ethernet adapter for 700 HD series fish finders (part number below):

http://store.humminbird.com/products/629935/AS_EC_QDE

Networks with multiple Humminbird fish finders:

These are just as easy, but require some additional hardware. To get all of the fish finders talking to each other as well as to i-Pilot Link, the central component of the Ethernet network becomes the 5-port Ethernet switch:

http://store.humminbird.com/products/629918/AS_ETH_5PS

This component draws 12V power, so it will need to be wired to a power source.

For each Ethernet-compatible Humminbird fish finder that will be used to control i-Pilot Link, run an ethernet cable from that unit to the 5-port switch. Humminbird offers cables in a variety of lengths to accommodate any configuration you may have.

Finally, run the Ethernet cable from the i-Pilot Link control head to the 5-port switch.

If all of the Humminbird fish finders on the network are running the most recent software update (available for free to registered owners on the Humminbird website), they should be able to recognize and control i-Pilot Link. Deploy the motor with the units on, and you should get the "i-Pilot Link Connected" message on each.

This is the basic configuration I run, with three fish finders on the Ethernet network that are integrated into the i-Pilot Link system.

Hope that helps!

Juls
02-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks Jason. I just ordered the 5 port and another cable to integrate mine, and it's on its way. I'll be using two units with the LINK. :)

Juls

James Morris
02-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Jason,

If I start with a comparable networking arrangement to the one you've described (two units, the hub and IPilot Link) and want to integrate two Digitroll 5 downriggers - what do I need?

Do I still need a "CannonLink" and how do I integrate this into the Ethernet network?

Thanks!

James

Jason Halfen
02-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Digging....hold please.

I think the quick answer is, yes, you will still need cannonlink, but I'll get a more definitive answer shortly.

MassillonBuckeye
02-28-2013, 09:29 PM
The ipilot link enabled trolling motors come with a 30' Ethernet cable by the way. The 80# Terrova anyhow. I'm assuming its all of them. They also come with SS mounting hardware, an instructional DVD, a printed installation guide/parts list, ipilot remote, charging cord, lanyard/carabiner and weedless wedge prop. Only thing you'll need is a proper trolling motor plug. I ended up going with the Battery Tender trolling motor plug as its the only one I could find rated over 50a and able to accommodate 6AWG wire.

Redge
03-01-2013, 07:31 AM
Is there an official launch date for the ipilotlink upgrade for my terrova? I see some people have found a few, but they don't seem readily available yet? Am I missing something? Thanks for the info Jason!

Jason Halfen
03-01-2013, 07:57 AM
They have been available for several weeks now. The initial orders appear to be mostly sold through, at least in my area, but I have seen accessories and pre-rigged motors on retail shelves, at boat dealers, and available through internet vendors. A guy just has to keep looking, or get on a list, for the time being.

You might consider attending an i-Pilot Link seminar from a Minn Kota pro at a boat dealer near you...at the two dealerships I've spoken at this spring, both have had a small number of units available for sale on seminar day to guests....just a thought!

Juls
03-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Jason,

If I start with a comparable networking arrangement to the one you've described (two units, the hub and IPilot Link) and want to integrate two Digitroll 5 downriggers - what do I need?

Do I still need a "CannonLink" and how do I integrate this into the Ethernet network?

Thanks!

James

According to the Digi-Troll 10 manual (which I think would be the same for your 5's):

Networking your Digi-Trolls:
Up to six Digi-Troll series downriggers can be networked together. The units can either be networked together with the optional transducer or networked together with the Cannonlink Accessory.

To network your downriggers you will need the Relay Cable Accessory (019634) between each downrigger you would like to link. To link using the transducer, install and hook up transducer as described in the transducer cable routing section. Once the transducer is hooked up to the first downrigger, install the Relay Cable Accessory from the initial downrigger Data Out connector on the back of the downrigger to the Data In connector on the next downrigger. Repeat for all connected downriggers.

To network the downriggers using the Cannonlink, the Cannonlink cable will install to the Data In connector on the first downrigger. Connect all the other downriggers by connecting the Relay Cable Accessory from the Data Out to the Data In of the next downrigger. A terminator is needed on the last downrigger Data Out in order for the downriggers to properly communicate. This terminator is included in the Cannonlink Accessory.

As far as I can tell the downriggers do not use the iPilot LINK to operate, so they do not connect with the ethernet cables to the hub.

To do the depth contour control, you need either the extra transducer and relay cable(s) or the Cannonlink Accessory (and cables) that links to the Birds.

I've opted for the extra transducer and relay cable since I'm only linking two downriggers together.

If I'm missing something here...I hope someone tells me. :)

Jason Halfen
03-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Great info, Juls. Thanks!

I haven't worked with any customers who are setting up downriggers as part of an intrgrated system with multiple fish finders and i-Pilot Link, so this question was an opportunity to do a little learnin' myself.

If I come up with anything beyond Juls' input, I'll post it here too.

Redge
03-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Thanks Jason!

Jason Halfen
03-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Some additional input on the CannonLink question, direct from the factory:

Ethernet and CannonLink can work in conjunction but they are two totally different networks and act totally independently of each other.

All units on Ethernet will have full Ethernet functionality and will be able to use all features (iPilotLink, 360 Imaging, Sonar, GPS, NMEA2K, etc.)

The CannonLink will need to be connected to one unit’s serial port (either directly or with the NMEA/COM y-cable).

The unit that has the CannonLink connected to it will be the only unit with access to the downriggers.

This CannonLink unit can be also connected via Ethernet to the Ethernet network and iPilot.

Previously, multiple units could have access to the downriggers if Interlink was connected. Since Interlink is shut down with the Ethernet network connected this is no longer possible.

Lastly, the only known issue with this configuration involves Video Out. If Video Out is enabled the downriggers will not respond to the CannonLink.

Hope that helps!

James Morris
03-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks Jason and Juls!

What benefit is there to having Cannonlink connected to the Ethernet network?

It sounds like it really runs on its own network which hooks up to one unit via serial port.

I'm looking forward to ipilot link following my trolling passes while the digitrolls follow the bottom contours.

Probably a 2014 initiative...

Redge
03-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Has anyone seen documentation on charging the remote? How long, does the red light turn green? I have looked but can't seem to find it addressed! Thanks for the help.

RivRunR
03-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Has anyone seen documentation on charging the remote? How long, does the red light turn green? I have looked but can't seem to find it addressed! Thanks for the help.
It stays red as long as the charger is plugged in. Only way to check the charge level is to remove the charger and turn the remote on. The light never turns green.

Redge
03-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks Riverrunner!

Fife
03-13-2013, 07:04 AM
I appreciate all of the information. This is a minor detail, but does the I Link remote come with a lanyard and clip like the Ipilot? I always clipped my Ipilot remote onto a buckle on my raingear and it worked out great.

Juls
03-13-2013, 07:08 AM
I appreciate all of the information. This is a minor detail, but does the I Link remote come with a lanyard and clip like the Ipilot? I always clipped my Ipilot remote onto a buckle on my raingear and it worked out great.

Yes. Both a long and a short one.

mm1371
03-13-2013, 09:05 AM
I am purchasing a Alumacraft 175 tiller and getting the Minn Kota Terrova 80 LB 24v w/I-Pilot and US2. Also ordered; Hummingbird 998 C HD w/I-Pilot Link. BTW Yamaha 75 hp w/big motor tiller handle.
Here is my Question:
I have a Hummingbird 798ci on my old boat and I'm thinking I would like to keep it and add it to the casting deck and mounting the transducer onto the Terrova trolling motor. However, with the US2 in the motor housing I am wondering if the 798 transducer will interfere with the US2 readings or vice versa.
I realize if the US2 is a different frequency then the two transducers will not interfere with each other. Nonetheless, mounting the 798 transducer under the motor housing might interfere with the US2. :banghead:

Jason Halfen
03-13-2013, 09:12 AM
I am purchasing a Alumacraft 175 tiller and getting the Minn Kota Terrova 80 LB 24v w/I-Pilot and US2. Also ordered; Hummingbird 998 C HD w/I-Pilot Link. BTW Yamaha 75 hp w/big motor tiller handle.
Here is my Question:
I have a Hummingbird 798ci on my old boat and I'm thinking I would like to keep it and add it to the casting deck and mounting the transducer onto the Terrova trolling motor. However, with the US2 in the motor housing I am wondering if the 798 transducer will interfere with the US2 readings or vice versa.
I realize if the US2 is a different frequency then the two transducers will not interfere with each other. Nonetheless, mounting the 798 transducer under the motor housing might interfere with the US2. :banghead:

The US2 won't be transmitting unless it is connected to a fish finder. If you rig your old 798ci to its own transducer on the lower unit of the Terrova, then that compact Side Imaging transducer will be doing the transmitting from the bow, and the US2 will be just sitting there. There won't be any interference between those two transducers because only one will be operating.

mm1371
03-13-2013, 10:29 AM
The US2 won't be transmitting unless it is connected to a fish finder. If you rig your old 798ci to its own transducer on the lower unit of the Terrova, then that compact Side Imaging transducer will be doing the transmitting from the bow, and the US2 will be just sitting there. There won't be any interference between those two transducers because only one will be operating.

Thank you for the reply. However, if the US2 is not hooked up than you cannot use the trolling motor to follow a contour line. Which, to me, is the main reason for having the I-Pilot on the trolling motor. I am going to have the trolling motor hooked to the new Hummingbird 998 unit.
Just another thought; if I hook the 998 unit to the old 798 and do not install the 798 transducer I could see the bottom contour readings however it would be from the 998 transducer from the rear of the boat. Does that make sense?
Mike

Jason Halfen
03-13-2013, 10:41 AM
That is incorrect, as Follow the Contour does not use depth data collected by any of your boat's transducers to stay on course; it uses GPS data from the LakeMaster chip.

Following a depth as determined by transducer readings is a technology that belongs to Pinpoint; i-Pilot Link performs all navigation based on GPS.

Jason Halfen
03-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Also, unless your 798 is the newer HD version, it is not possible to connect your new 998 to the 798 by ethernet, which is required to share sonar information between two or more units.

mm1371
03-13-2013, 12:20 PM
That is incorrect, as Follow the Contour does not use depth data collected by any of your boat's transducers to stay on course; it uses GPS data from the LakeMaster chip.

Following a depth as determined by transducer readings is a technology that belongs to Pinpoint; i-Pilot Link performs all navigation based on GPS.

Ok, now I got it. Thank you.:thumbsup:

Also, unless your 798 is the newer HD version, it is not possible to connect your new 998 to the 798 by ethernet, which is required to share sonar information between two or more units.

Again Thank you, now my old unit is going with my old boat. I will invest in a new front deck unit I can use the ethernet with the 998.

I hope I am not trying your patience however you have enlightened me so much, I wonder if you have any suggestions for a casting deck unit.

Mike

Jason Halfen
03-13-2013, 01:41 PM
That all depends on what sonar information you'd like at the bow, and what your budget is.

A very good 2D sonar/chartplotter combo is the 858c HD. This can collect 2D sonar data from the US2 on your Terrova, or from the 998's HDSI transducer over the ethernet network.

Likewise, an excellent entry-level SI/DI/2D sonar that many run at the bow is the 898c HD SI. You can connect this unit to US2 for 2D sonar from the bow, and get SI/DI/2D sonar from the 998's transducer by ethernet.

I find that Down Imaging is a powerful tool to have while fishing from the bow. I have an 1158c DI unit on the bow of my boat. Love the big screen, really appreciate the excellent 2D and Down Imaging data it provides me when jigging/casting from the front of the boat. The equivalent unit in the 800 series would be the 858c HD DI, which is also fully ethernet compatible and can get 2D data from the 998's HDSI transducer.

From these 800-series units, you can go down in cost and screen size to the 700 series, or up in cost and screen size to 900 or 1100 series units. Do not go into the 500 series unless you want to give up networking capabilities.

Since you're getting two ethernet compatible fish finders and want to run i-Pilot Link, you'll also need to add the 5-port ethernet switch to ensure that everyone talks to everyone else....both fish finders will be able to share GPS/navigation/sonar data (to the extent possible, based on the types of graphs you choose) as well as control i-Pilot Link.

MassillonBuckeye
03-13-2013, 03:30 PM
I've read that connecting a 200/83 transducer(us/2) to a SI capable unit can ruin the SI circuitry. I'm goin to try and find the discussion.

mm1371
03-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Thank you once again Jason, excellant information. I was just at Cabalas looking at the Humminbird units and will have to give it some thought. Also, the front unit can be held off for a time before I purchase hence allow me to go a step or two upgrade. :thumbsup:

Mike

mm1371
03-13-2013, 06:09 PM
I've read that connecting a 200/83 transducer(us/2) to a SI capable unit can ruin the SI circuitry. I'm goin to try and find the discussion.

Thank you MassillonBuckeye, however, I have already decided the old 798ci is going south with the old boat. It will probably help to sell the boat also.

Mike

Brown_e
03-13-2013, 06:49 PM
You spoke of this in your original post but I still have a question. That AS ETH 5PS 5 port switch needs power to run to it. Does this mean that power to the other units is supplied thru the ethernet cables, or do I still need to run power to each unit as well as the AS ETH 5PS.

The next question is for your opinion. If I connect my I Pilot Link to my 788HD on the bow, and leave my 958 on the dash as a stand alone unit, it costs me X amount of dollars. If I hook the I Pilot Link, the 788 and my 958 on the dash all together, its gonna cost me about an extra 250 dollars. I know if I don't connect them I don't share way points or routes. Is hooking everything together worth the money in the long run.

THanks
Brown

Jason Halfen
03-13-2013, 07:34 PM
You spoke of this in your original post but I still have a question. That AS ETH 5PS 5 port switch needs power to run to it. Does this mean that power to the other units is supplied thru the ethernet cables, or do I still need to run power to each unit as well as the AS ETH 5PS.

The next question is for your opinion. If I connect my I Pilot Link to my 788HD on the bow, and leave my 958 on the dash as a stand alone unit, it costs me X amount of dollars. If I hook the I Pilot Link, the 788 and my 958 on the dash all together, its gonna cost me about an extra 250 dollars. I know if I don't connect them I don't share way points or routes. Is hooking everything together worth the money in the long run.

THanks
Brown

The power source for the 5-port ethernet switch is for that device only. That device does not draw power from the connected fish finders/accessories, nor does the device provide power to connected fish finders/accessories through the ethernet cables.

Personally, I would never go back to having graphs running "off-network", and needing to manually transfer waypoints from one unit to another, or monitor one graph/chart in one part of the boat (the one with a marked waypoint) while inches away from a second graph/chart that didn't have that same waypoint marked.

Brown_e
03-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the info and the advice. I've got everything together and am placing the order now. It never pays off in the end to try to go cheap. Spend the extra bucks now and do it right the first time.

WalleyePrincipal
03-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Jason

I just bought a different boat that has a 1197c on the bow and one on the dash. Two questions: 1) Can I use the three port hub to connect these two units to my I pilot link? 2) does the three port hub need power?
Thanks.

Jason Halfen
03-13-2013, 09:58 PM
No such thing as a 3-port hub, only the 5-port ethernet switch.

The 5-port ethernet switch does require 12V power.

The 5-port ethernet switch can be used to connect the 1197s and i-Pilot Link (Link is compatible with the 1197).

Redge
03-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Got my link installed on network with 958 and 1198, works great, lots to learn! Anyone else have an issue with the finders not sharing waypoints? Both units are turned on to share. All waypoints show up on ipilot remote? Installed last week with up to date software on both units. Any thoughts? Sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread, since the link is involved I felt it was pertinent.

LeckyASO
08-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Thank you for this thread, it has been veryhelpul.

I have a question. I am just ordering a 1198cx SI Combo, NMEA2000 cable and will next order the Minn Kota RT55ST with I-pilot Link. I want to connect the NMEA2000 and Link to my 1198cx. Do I need an Ethernet switch? I think so but the shop is telling me everything is in the box, and I dont need a switch?

Thank you.

Jason Halfen
08-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Thank you for this thread, it has been veryhelpul.

I have a question. I am just ordering a 1198cx SI Combo, NMEA2000 cable and will next order the Minn Kota RT55ST with I-pilot Link. I want to connect the NMEA2000 and Link to my 1198cx. Do I need an Ethernet switch? I think so but the shop is telling me everything is in the box, and I dont need a switch?

Thank you.

Yes, you will need a 5-port ethernet switch to connect the NMEA 2K bridge and i-Pilot Link to your new 1198.

LeckyASO
08-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Thank you for the quick response. I thought that was the case but it is very difficult finding actual installation information.

CamoHunter
08-06-2013, 07:09 AM
Heres a picture I photo-shopped together, to show my boat network.

Maybe it will help some of you gain a visual, who are wanting to accomplish the same thing.

I have three items networked (iPilot LINK, 998c HD, and 788ci HD).

Hope it helps someone.

Gregking
01-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Jason, I have a question I need clarification on. After an hour and half of research I cannot find info on the 5 port enet switch and AS GPS HS?
Also after reading this thread will the 1198 SI get destroyed by using it on US2?

Here is what I want to reroute and network

Bow 1198
Bow link
Bow AS GPS HS
Dash 1198
Dash 1158
Stern 998

Will I need 2 each 5 port enet switches daisy chained?

I want to see SI on bow, ster and dash. Also I want to run the link from bow and dash. Figured I will need GPS on all graphs to mark accurate waypoints. IDK.

Ozark Bob
01-20-2014, 05:56 AM
AS-GPS-HS plugs directly into the head unit. Your 5 other items will hook up to one switch. Bob

greatscott
02-20-2014, 11:10 AM
side question

if I have both side imagining and down imaging transducers, and the sonar transducer, is it best to have them all on one side of the boat or split?

background - boat is Alumacraft Competitor. transducers will be mounted on transducer mounting plate(s)

thanks!

Jason Halfen
02-20-2014, 12:06 PM
My recommendation would be to mount the two transducers on opposite sides of your outboard, to reduce the chance that your dual beam transducer obstructs the Side Imaging transducer.

Bowtech84
02-20-2014, 09:53 PM
My I pilot with l link arrived in the mail the other day but I haven't had time to rip into it. I currently have a 898c hd si on my console and a 2d elite series on the bow. Could I link the tm to the console finder and then buy the lowrance adapter and continue to use the elite with the built in trolling motor transducer until I decide which bird I want to put on the bow? Or would I still have to do it the old fashion way and run the lowrance ducer down the shaft and connect it to the bottom of the tm?

david h
03-12-2014, 08:14 PM
I understand the cable that attaches to the trolling motor when hooking up the I link attaches to the head of the trolling motor, for those that have done this is this inconvenient because the head of a terova is mobile and you have to have slack in the cable. thanks david

CamoHunter
03-12-2014, 10:38 PM
I think the ethernet cable on the trolling motor comes out of the motor base mount, not the head of the trolling motor. Therefore, you don't need to have slack in your ethernet cable connecting your depthfinder to the trolling motor.

CamoHunter
03-12-2014, 10:42 PM
:driver:My I pilot with l link arrived in the mail the other day but I haven't had time to rip into it. I currently have a 898c hd si on my console and a 2d elite series on the bow. Could I link the tm to the console finder and then buy the lowrance adapter and continue to use the elite with the built in trolling motor transducer until I decide which bird I want to put on the bow? Or would I still have to do it the old fashion way and run the lowrance ducer down the shaft and connect it to the bottom of the tm?

If you haven't figured it out already, that will work just fine. The transducer inside the trolling motor is one wire off the motor, which you'd connect to your lowrance with the adapter cable. The Humminbird will connect to the trolling motor with an ethernet cable, which is a separate wire coming out of the trolling motor.

cyber16
03-13-2014, 06:34 AM
Ethernet cable does come from the head the same as the US2 cable.
They are strung within the loops of the coil cable.

I think the ethernet cable on the trolling motor comes out of the motor base mount, not the head of the trolling motor. Therefore, you don't need to have slack in your ethernet cable connecting your depthfinder to the trolling motor.

reddog
03-13-2014, 06:39 AM
When charging the handheld, Does the red light ever change to green with full charge or just stay red?

CamoHunter
03-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Ethernet cable does come from the head the same as the US2 cable.
They are strung within the loops of the coil cable.

I guess you're right. Mine is strung through the coiled main wire of the trolling motor back to the base though.

I have it, and haven't noticed too many issues with having to have slack in the wires. Occassionally you may have to look at the motor to see if the wires have wrapped around or not, if they have, you just turn the motor to unwind them and go back to fishing, not that big of a deal.

Larry Carr
03-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Nice job Juls. I learned a lot reading through your post!!!!!
LC