: Cooking fish on a George Foreman Grill?

Wurm
02-12-2003, 04:31 PM
Okay guys and gals, seeing as everyone I have ever talked to, including quite a few of you on this message board, just loves your George Forman Grill, I had to go out and spend $59.00 on one. (Now if I could just get everyone who raved about then to give me a doller, it would be payed for - plus some.) I shopped around, and found an extera large with temperature control. (Seems the temp. control was the only thing anybody ever said "I wish I had".)

Anyway.... the questions: Fish on the grill - how well does the grill cook fish? Is there any fish better then others, like oily fishes vs. non-oily? Are walleye a good fish to cook on there? Thick fillets vs. thin, Low heat vs. high heat? Anything?

I am putting myself back on the Atkin's Diet, and it seems this grill would be my best cooking tool... and fish would rank right up there as a "healthy food".

Thanks for your input!

NDJ
02-12-2003, 05:34 PM
I'll marinate in either italian dressing, or a lawreys marinade...doesn't take too long on the Forman, I'll spray the grill 1st with Pam, as fish likes to stick a bit.

I Perfer perch or small eyes, as I have the little one...

lil boat
02-12-2003, 05:47 PM
I dip the walleye or perch in Lemon juice and place on the grill that has been sprayed with cooking butter, I then sprinkle Old Bey seafood spices on the fish I usally cook for eight minutes. I don't have one with adjustable temperature.

Wurm
02-12-2003, 08:51 PM
So obviously... you can cook fish on the George Foreman grill, and it sounds like they turn out good! So far, I have heard about perch and walleye, anybody do trout or salmon? Keep the cooking tips coming.

SUPERTROLLER
02-13-2003, 09:52 AM
Wrap the fish in foil and add seasoning like you do for your outdoor grill. The fish won't stick and it stays moist. Clean-up is turning off the grill and throwing away the foil.

SetTheHook
02-13-2003, 10:20 AM
The only fish I've ever done on the Foreman is salmon. It works great. With the adjustable heat, I set it between minimum and medium and cook for something like 9 minutes. Will still go back to grilling over charcoal when the weather warms up though.

Mark
02-13-2003, 11:42 AM
I agree with the salmon. I cook salmon on the George Forman and in 8-9 mins you have 2 small filets cooked. It's the best way to cook salmon.

Wurm
02-14-2003, 08:59 AM
I think foil would have a tendency to scratch and ruin the non-stick surface of the grill... wouldn't it?

RHLSnoopy
02-14-2003, 09:52 AM
Wrap the salmon in foil cook it in the Geo. Foreman grill for 8 min. The throw the fish away and eat the foil: Only way to eat salmon is a fish boil or smoked.

Wurm
02-14-2003, 10:38 AM
Wow RHLSNOOPY, that really has a lot to do with my question... thanks! (for nothing)

My George Foreman Grill would short out in boiling water, and I could never get the smokey flavor out of the plastic.

See... my relpy is just as good as yours.

Wurm

SUPERTROLLER
02-14-2003, 11:49 AM
I think you'll be fine because you're just closing the lid,,, not scratching it back and forth. It was just a suggestion. I don't eat fish myself, just trying to help and offer a possible solution and make the fish like my buddy's do on the grill.

Jimmy Jig
02-14-2003, 12:47 PM
I use mine alot for walleye and perch. I have found that it is best to coat the the fillets with flour/corn meal or whatever. It doesn't stick as bad when coated and it tastes more like fried fish. My grill has no control for heat. Dont over cook.

Wurm
02-18-2003, 06:03 AM
Well thanks to your replies, I just got to answer my question first hand. Yesterday, I caught two lake trout though the ice, so the wife and I had fresh fish on the George Foreman Grill. I marinated the fillets for 30 minute in a Lawrey' s Havana Lime Garlic sauce, along with a little salt and pepper. I sprayed a little "Pam" on the grill and put my temperature setting on low. The fish did not stick what-so-ever, and the grill cleaned up with ease. And, the fish tasted GREAT! Thanks for you help.

Bob from Detroit
02-18-2003, 07:57 AM
Here is a good salmon recipe I got from a fisherman up on the BC coast of Canada.

Mix olive oil, sun dried tomatoes, oregano and basil together and let this marinade stand for a few hours to let the flavors meld together. I don't have amounts for you - but I used plenty of oregano and basil. I cut the sun dried tomatoes in small pieces.

After the marinade has sat for a few hours put the salmon in the dish and let the salmon marinade for about an hour.

Pop it on the grill, or George Foreman grill, for a few minutes and enjoy good eating. Take it off the grill when it is still slightly pink on the inside. It will continue to cook on the interior after leaving the heat.