: Advance Auto Parts lifetime warranties

Terroreyes
07-22-2003, 11:36 AM
What a scam. I purchased an alternator for my towing vehicle last year in February with a lifetime warranty, as verbally presented. The alternator went bad so I just went down to exchange it. No problems, brought out the new one, did the paper work, then the guy tells me as I'm walking away that the new alternator I just recieved for the exchange has only a 90 day warranty. I stopped dead in my tracks, turned around , and asked him what kind of lifetime warrany that was. His response: "A limited lifetime warranty, check your reciept". He was right, the reciept says limited lifetime warranty. When I hear "limited" lifetime warranty, I generally think of the terms of failure as the limitation, such as abuse, not 1 exchange and the lifetime warranty is over. The part that really burns me is that I was always buying the cheap alternators with a 1 year warrany and they would go bad in 18 months. This tine I decided to spent the extra $30 to get the one with a lifetime warranty. What a mistake that was. Well, they just seen the last of my business until they change their warranty policies and stop taking advantage of unsuspecting customers.
[br][div align="center"][br][center][br][font color="#3300CC";font face="Roman"; size="+3"][br]When I take to the water [br]there's terror in the [br] [font color="red"; size="+5"; font face="webdings"] N N

eyedoktr
07-22-2003, 11:51 AM
This is not an uncommon practice. I guess as long as it was/is in writing, then there wouldn't be any misrepresentation or false claims. Sorry, and I don't mean to slam you, but I guess that's one reason we're taught to read and taught to mistrust others.

Terroreyes
07-22-2003, 12:20 PM
I agree, nothing illegal, but definitely deceptive. I have NEVER encountered a warranty such as this out of 100's of auto parts I have bought over the years.

Two big problems: 1. When you call and are given the different prices and corresponding warranties. They only state "lifetime warranty", not limited.
2. When you bring in the core deposit at the time of the purchase, almost all parts stores just give you the new alternator and parts, then put the core in the box from the new one. The warranty information is usually on or in the box they just kept.

I guess it's buyer beware there, and I absolutely refuse to do business with any company where I have to read the fine print on everything I purchase. Too bad all stores aren't like Cabela's. :)
[br][div align="center"][br][center][br][font color="#3300CC";font face="Roman"; size="+3"][br]When I take to the water [br]there's terror in the [br] [font color="red"; size="+5"; font face="webdings"] N N

onlygoose
07-22-2003, 12:30 PM
what does this have to do fishing

Be Happy
07-22-2003, 12:51 PM
Sounds like his tow vehicle to me...

onlygoose
07-22-2003, 03:33 PM
yea I know I was giving him some guff }(

Tom P
07-22-2003, 09:23 PM
This is still "General Discussion " anything can be asked, but politics. You need to go to the "Strictly Fishing" thread if you can not stomach general discussion.

Biff - nli
07-22-2003, 09:39 PM
Speaking of lifetime warranties...

I run a 91 Chev 3/4 ton pickup as my tow vehicle. (Purchased New) I am currently on my 4th Midas muffler. This is a company that truly stands behing their "Lifetime Guarantee"! I expect I'll get at least one or two more. Minnesota is tough on exhaust systems.

No questions asked, no gruff, they just put on a new muffler and sent me on my way.

Weyes1
07-23-2003, 07:25 AM
Terroreyes,
Had the same problem with O'Reily's replacement parts.
Spend the money to buy the Manufacturers replacement parts. Yes you pay more, but if there is a problem most dealers stand behind the products they sell. Genuine GM!!!
I haven't had any problems since.
I honestly feel it's worth it in the long run.

--
Weyes1
Kevin Clark
weyes1@wamego.net