: New South Dakota Walleye limit???

Johnboy
08-24-2003, 11:05 AM
Has anybody heard about lowering the walleye limits for next year in South Dakota, and also about fishing changes during the spring spawn?? Thanks

fishandhuntsd
08-24-2003, 12:45 PM
Nope have not heard of anything about that but would be in favor for the shut down during spawn!!!!If this was done maybe there would not have to be a decrease in the limits!!!!!!!!

REELMAN
08-24-2003, 08:05 PM
I have a flyer right in front of me from the SDGF&P they have a few proposals on it.
A reduction in the winter/spring daily limit from 4 to 2 per angler per day. possession would remain the same, 8. after a date the limit would return to 4 per day. example would be 2 walleye from jan 1 through april 30, and then 4 remainder of the year. this is for Francis Case. This would reduce the harvest by 25%.
Another proposal is one fish over 22 inches the rest 15 - 18 and no fish 18 - 22.

changes are a coming

BabeLinder
08-24-2003, 09:01 PM
I think a 2 fish limit is a great idea. Why not statewide year-round? Exclude guide services. This would keep from endangering anyones livelyhood. I would also be in favor of 10 panfish limit statewide. I fish the management zone a lot in the winter and the lower limit doesnt bother me a bit. I dont want to here about how 10 isnt very many after you spend the money to fish. If economy is ones goal they wouldnt be fishing in the first place. Ribeyes are cheaper than fish I guarantee that. Unless its catching bullheads from the dugout.

REELMAN
08-26-2003, 01:07 PM
exclude guide services?????????? yea right.

The Bullhead
08-26-2003, 01:53 PM
Ahhhhh Bullheads from the dugout..... :)

I agree. Especially on the 10 panfish limit. Many of our local lakes I fear are doomed if the limits are not dropped very soon. This day and age, when the perch take off.....word spreads as fast as Joe Shmoe can hit speed dial on his cell phone. A drop across the board, (walleye's and Perch) would be a wise decision in my eyes.

Skis
08-26-2003, 02:23 PM
I'm sure you were just making an example, but if the dates are as you stated, the only problem with the above mentioned date of April 30 is the early tournaments that Platte & Chamberlain would/do hold. These tournaments would be difficult to have with only 2 walleyes per person. Good money is funneled into these to communities on these early tournaments.

Don't get me wrong, I think the lower limits during spawn is a great idea. All the people lined up on the shores at night and all the boats fishing during the day in spring is unbelievable. The rivers get fished hard year round and spring is probably the hardest.

BabeLinder
08-26-2003, 02:49 PM
I dont want to exclude guide services but that would keep the resorts happy. If you total up all the guide services on the Missouri in SD and how many fish they take from the river, I would be surprised to find its much of a number. Compared to non-guided fisherman that is. Even a 10 perch limit wont stop the overfishing when the folks come out like they do on Waubay in the winter. I heard the GFP counted 1200 cars on Waubay on one day. Funny thing is, I can name 3 lakes with better perch than waubay, and they are all not in the management zone. I actually can name a bunch, but some are in the zone.
Bullhead, have you left your dugout roots?:-)

Dutchman
08-26-2003, 03:17 PM
Why not close the season as our neighboring states do? Then place ridiculous slots that kill lots of nice fish like Mil Lacs has, then we'd really be doing some mighty management. There's a reason there's so many out of state tags at the ramps here in South Dakota. The biggest is these folks state waters have been mismanaged and the quality of fishing isn't there, so they drive for 10-12 hours to get to some quality fishing. If the GF&P wants a 2 fish limit state wide I'm all for it. The resort owners aren't going to like it nor will the people that drive for a day to get here, but it may keep our resource viable and that's what relly counts. There is another generation of anglers on the way. Let's leave them something to fish for. Just my 2 cents....

" Fishing is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope "

BabeLinder
08-26-2003, 07:45 PM
Oh great, another complaint about how its all these darn NRs. Thats probly what the Injuns were saying when whitey first popped over the horizon.

dewright
08-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Can't speak for everyone, but I'm a Nebraskan and try to fish S.D. at least once every year. Not because the fish are more numerous or bigger, but just to go somewhere different. I could catch big fish at Big Mac, which is 200 miles closer. I enjoy the difference in structure and scenery. And just like everyone, a vacation. I boated a lot of fish again this year and a total of 3 fish came home with our party of 3. None over 20". We fished a total of 6 days and had a ball and look forward to next year.
I know some who do take full advantage of limits, but it is "legal" to do so. I'm all for whatever it takes to maintain your fine fisheries so I'm able to visit in the future.

REELMAN
08-26-2003, 08:32 PM
not making an example,,,,,,,,,,,just rewriting it from the SDGFP's flyer that i have

Dutchman
08-27-2003, 06:30 AM
Babelinder, It was not my intent to "diss" nonresidents. My point was South Dakota needs to manage it's wildlife for future generations. This may not be favorable to current business's that count on South Dakota natural resources as there source of income.
" Fishing is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope "

Schnauzer
08-27-2003, 09:35 AM
I'm glad your intent wasn't to rip on out of state anglers. I hope you understand the level of resentment that is building in Minnesota over what has been going on with North and South Dakota non resident hunting restrictions. Some of the price gouging and restrictions are getting very petty and many here feel the welcome mat has been rolled up. The feeling is the Dakotans are being petty and selfish. There is also strong talk to restrict non resident anglers here just to pull the ole' eye for an eye routine. Just pick up a Minneapolis Tribune or Outdoor news so see what I'm saying. I'm not here to argue hunting restrictions, I'm just reporting the prevailing perceptions and perceptions have a way of becoming reality.

It sounds like you're backing the same kind of approach to fishing in SD.

As far as Anglers coming to SD because their state's resources are mismanaged, I think you are sorely mistaken. There are many reasons - SD waters are simply closer for many (including many from Southern MN)and it is definitely a different experience to fish on the Missouri on the prairie compared to traditional walleye lakes. It is a change of pace and an adventure. I can't recall talking to a buddy who has fished SD who has said "We can't catch 'em here anymore so we go to SD." MN waters have been been invaded for many decades by nonresident anglers. I don't recall anyone here assuming it was because the walleyes were mismanaged in their home states. Some places, like LOTW, Leech, Mille Lacs, Sharpe, Oahe, Winnie, Francis Case etc. are good Walleye habitat and people like to travel to fish good walleye waters.

Finally, your Mille Lacs example is curious because walleye fishing has been outstanding there for several years, including last year when it was better than anywhere else on the planet. Although the bite is slower this year, everyone agrees it is due to an abundance of baitfish, not a lack of walleyes.

Is it possible you are just not used to seeing what we in Minnesota have been seeing for decades and you'd like to see the non residents go home? I wish I had a dollar for for every boat I have seen on Mille Lacs and elsewhere with registration that begins WS, IL, IA, or SD. I have no problem with it at all. I like to see them have a good time and I appreciate them choosing my state to spend their hard earned money.

Eyez
08-27-2003, 12:26 PM
I understand your point, and I think that people from anywhere can come here as often as they wish. Those of us that live in SD just ask that people from out of town have the same respect for our waters as we do. Whether you're from sioux falls and you come to fish enemy swim or you're from minneapolis and you come to fish thompson. Just like anyone anywhere else would hope. Unfortunately non residents seem to get the blame for every time someone abuses a fishery, and that is wrong and needs to change.

But Jeff has a valid point. Fisheries need to be managed for their future, regardless of what resorts, guides and tourism departments would like to see. If South Dakota needs to go to a 2 fish limit, I personally don't care who whines and complains as long as it's in the interest of preserving our fisheries, and is a decision made based on science and not economics or politics.

That said, I think all this talk of closing the spring bite and lowering limits is totally unnecessary. Some lakes receive so much pressure that they need to be managed different, but we do not need statewide 2 fish walleye limits. If a lake has a dangerously low population, close a season, lower a limit, shrink the slot, but manage that individual lake for that individual year. Closing the spring bite statewide is also a knee jerk overreaction in my opinion. If the fishing is so good in an area that fishermen are harming the resource over the span of a month or two, then manage those issues independently. In this part of the state, rivers are off limits during the spring. Certain parts of some lakes are off limits because they are spawning areas.

Lake Thompson is one of the more heavily fished lakes in this part of the state, yet it continues to churn out 3-7 pound fish with regularity, with nothing more than a 1 fish over 20 rule and no minimum size. You can not manage it with the same blanket 2 fish limit that you manage waubay, enemy swim, or any other lake with. I strongly disagree with oversimplified rules.

Eyez

REELMAN
08-27-2003, 01:03 PM
I don't have much to say on these issues other than until the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers is not in control of the River in South Dakota you are never going to be able to manage it. The U. S. Army Corps of Engineers have already proved they can destroy Oahe and now have pretty much lead to the downfall of Francis Case. Two of my favorite places to fish in the world and I personally hold the Corps responsible for their downfall.

Schnauzer
08-27-2003, 01:23 PM
All very good points. Well said.

Sloughman
08-28-2003, 06:28 PM
but as the messenger, you may get blamed.

South Dakota fishing would also be greatly inferior if the Missouri River hadn't become so ****ed dammed in the first place. And was that a good idea for all of posterity? Maybe, maybe not.

Minnesota may have "too much science" when it comes to Mille Lacs and some other lakes, and of course the decisions will always be conservative "on the side of the resource." Make it a limit of 4 and who could/would complain?

BabeLinder
08-28-2003, 08:13 PM
Eyez my friend, for NRs to have the same respect for SD as Residents do is the LAST thing you want. You will want people to have more. I remember all the posts to Tony Dean during the Q+A period over the panfish management debates. Lots of foolish talk about how 10 isnt enough, from Rs and NRs alike. Is this the thred with the post about how a lake gets crowded when someone lets out that the perch are biting. The policy is, might as well get them before someone else does. Unfortunately, this makes sense. The next guy is going to keep them anyway. The entire nation needs to be educated better. How about fishing ed classes. But I am not pointing fingers at SDans. This is everywhere. What I love is when 500 people fish a lake for weeks and suddenly there is nothing more being caught. Everybody wonders why they quit biting. But, on the lakes with the freezeout regulations, keep em all and give them away. I seen too many stink-nasty dead fish to worry about next year. Yuck.