: Lake Map Cards for Lowrance Elite 7 HDI

shawn114
12-26-2013, 06:06 PM
I got the Lowrance Elite 7 HDI for christmas and was wondering what the best lake cards to purchase.

CI_Guy
12-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Depends on what lakes you fish. The Navionics and Insight web sites will have lists of lakes they have mapped and which ones are in HD. Navionics tends to have more lakes but Insight maps are more detailed IMHO.

shawn114
12-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Im looking for Wis Lakes, and Lake of Green Bay mostly, but if the cards have a multi-state coverage that would be great too. So you think the Insight would be the way to go for great detailed maps in your opinion?

KHedquist
12-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Shawn Check out the Navionics + from Navionics, you select the areas you want, it is awesome on Green Bay with the High Def Sonar Charts and you select the lakes you want to fish. Freshest Updates free for a year, Nautical Charts for navigation follow this link if you have any questions please ask. http://www.navionics.com/en/

walleye patrol2
12-31-2013, 07:01 AM
I bought the insight chip for my Lowrance 7 Elite as well. I was left with disappointment on two of the main bodies of water I fish, Castle Rock and Petenwell. Regardless they are even listed as HD or 1' contours and they are not...........I don't think I am doing something wrong, but would the Navionics + be worth the investment? Otherwise I was thinking of buying the Premium North Chip and trying it........thoughts?? Very frustrating.

KHedquist
12-31-2013, 07:36 AM
I bought the insight chip for my Lowrance 7 Elite as well. I was left with disappointment on two of the main bodies of water I fish, Castle Rock and Petenwell. Regardless they are even listed as HD or 1' contours and they are not...........I don't think I am doing something wrong, but would the Navionics + be worth the investment? Otherwise I was thinking of buying the Premium North Chip and trying it........thoughts?? Very frustrating.

You have an Elite 7 go with the Nav+ you get the SonarCHarts with Nav+ the Premium doesn't have that. SonarCharts is the Hi Def fishing layer. You can preview the lakes you want to fish on the Navionics website, zoom in and click on the sonar icon on the lower left corner. Your Elite 7 software needs to up to date to use SonarCharts.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Software-Updates/Elite-7/

http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp

walleye patrol2
12-31-2013, 07:50 AM
That was a big help, I just bought the boat and the new Elite in late September so I knew I needed to do the updates, I just didn't realize that would solve those problems! Thanks and I will look into using that Nav+ it looks like it could really be helpful. Is there a good tutorial on how to use Nav+ anywhere? I bought the Dr Sonar CD for the Elite which has been a help as well. Thanks again, WP2

Andre (wallyandre)
12-31-2013, 10:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VLBIBWjdHb0

walleye patrol2
01-05-2014, 12:18 PM
It still looks like I have to have purchased a Navionics SD card in order to use Navionics plus? Anyone using the Lowrance insight online programs? I think I need to complete the update on my Elite first and then see if my Elite shows more hd lakes

KHedquist
01-05-2014, 05:15 PM
I dont quite understand your question?

walleye patrol2
01-05-2014, 05:33 PM
I dont quite understand your question?

Okay when I'm on the avionics website it wants me to use a NAVIONICS SD card, do I need that to make the nav+ to work? All of this is confusing to me, I have the Insight chip already. From what I think you said before is I don't need to buy the premium north just sign up for Nav+..... just trying to understand all of it before I buy something.

KHedquist
01-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Ok you need to purchase the Nav + chip, it does not have any lakes on it. You select the lakes you fish and download them to the chip. So I see you are in SW Wisc. (Sorry about the loss :muahaha:) you purchase the Nav + chip from a retailer, go to the Navionics website, click on the Downloads and Update at the top, plug your Nav+ chip into your puter, follow the prompts, you then select the lakes you fish, such Madison and lets say you go to Winnebago and Green Bay you add that area and so on and so on. The chip holds 2GB of data so its fair amount of data.

So what you get in the High Def Sonar Charts layer, Freshest Data updates for a year. When you go to the Navionics Web site, go to the top of the page you will find a drop down menu click on the web app zoom in and click on the sonar icon on the lower left it shows you what SonarCharts looks like.

If you decide to go with it shoot me a pm and I can chat in person. It really simple once you do it.

walleye patrol2
01-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Okay I thought I was missing something, yes I live just east of Lacrosse. So I will look into the cost of the chip. I grew up in MN, so not a giant Packers fan, but I usually have someone to cheer for on Sundays....thanks again and I will send you a pm once I get the chip.

KHedquist
01-05-2014, 07:43 PM
You can use the Web App to Preview any lakes you fish.

walleye patrol2
01-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Kirt- so once I buy the navionic plus SD card I don't need to purchase the $99 subscription correct? I assume that's the case but I can seem to find out whether that is true or not. Also any idea on the those MSD/SD cards and the cost?? I think I found some but they appear to be over $150/ea........does that seem right? Any good places to purchase them or am I stuck going to the big box stores?

KHedquist
01-06-2014, 07:49 AM
Kirt- so once I buy the navionic plus SD card I don't need to purchase the $99 subscription correct? I assume that's the case but I can seem to find out whether that is true or not. Also any idea on the those MSD/SD cards and the cost?? I think I found some but they appear to be over $150/ea........does that seem right? Any good places to purchase them or am I stuck going to the big box stores?

No, Freshest Data is included for the first year, after the first year you can renew it for 50% of the MSRP price. The MSRP is 179.00 it depends, I have seen it at Cabelas and Thorns Bros. do a google search.

shawn114
01-22-2014, 09:08 PM
I have been told by the Cabelas guys to get the Insight chip, but the HD chip that says the Elite 7 HDI should take didnt work in the store model. Any input on this? They said it wont work and freezes up. All I want is a chip for my unit that will give me great lakes, indland lake and HD contours. Should a guy just wait till the 2014 chips come ou? Or is Navionics the only way to go with the Elite 7?

KHedquist
01-22-2014, 09:50 PM
I have been told by the Cabelas guys to get the Insight chip, but the HD chip that says the Elite 7 HDI should take didnt work in the store model. Any input on this? They said it wont work and freezes up. All I want is a chip for my unit that will give me great lakes, indland lake and HD contours. Should a guy just wait till the 2014 chips come ou? Or is Navionics the only way to go with the Elite 7?

Shawn the Nav+ will give you the Great Lakes, Inland Lakes and Canada on the same chip, you add the lakes you want. Go to the Navionics Web App go to the inland lakes and great lakes areas you fish zoom in and click on the sonar icon on the lower left to get the SonarCharts layer. The web app will not show Sonar Charts because of legalities of showing the Canadian lakes. The other bonus is your chip is never outdated, all year you can add Freshest Data for free so anytime mapping is updated you get it by downloading it to your exhisting chip the subscription fee is 50% of msrp.

Web App http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp

I have used the Insight on the Green Bay and it lacks the off shore detail of SonarCharts

shawn114
01-22-2014, 09:59 PM
will I still be able to get HD map contours?

shawn114
01-22-2014, 10:07 PM
with Navionics depth contours, what does the eratic depths mean, like 10,7 ? what I mean is the offset number with the depths

KHedquist
01-23-2014, 05:06 AM
will I still be able to get HD map contours?

Yes that is what SonarCharts is the Navionics website has a good description http://www.navionics.com/en/navionics-plus#SonarCharts™

Green Bay with Sonar Charts on and off

KHedquist
01-23-2014, 05:08 AM
with Navionics depth contours, what does the eratic depths mean, like 10,7 ? what I mean is the offset number with the depths

That is on the Nautical Charts which is data that comes outside of Navionics government charts etc... Nautical Charts is a navigational layer with less clutter but the important details

KHedquist
01-23-2014, 09:08 PM

Tenths of a foot

gonz
01-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Kirt, I have the elite 4 dsi on the front and an older Lowrance HDS. Do you know if the current Navionics SonarCharts works in these units...especially if I update the software? Thanks,

Gonz

KHedquist
01-24-2014, 09:31 AM
Kirt, I have the elite 4 dsi on the front and an older Lowrance HDS. Do you know if the current Navionics SonarCharts works in these units...especially if I update the software? Thanks,

Gonz

Gonz see the chart for exact details but the Elite 4 can't do Sonar Charts, unit software. You can get Nautical Charts and any lakes that have current 1 foot contours you can read. link to list http://www.navionics.com/en/high-definition-lakes

Link to Hotmaps Premium. http://www.navionics.com/en/hotmaps-premium

Are there any lakes that want to look at?

gonz
01-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Thanks Kirk will check it out. I am saving up for a new and larger HDS for the console. I need mostly maps in Kansas. I did check on some of the lakes on the link you posted. I appreciate that. I go through them all this weekend!

Gonz

HookinEyes
01-26-2014, 03:42 PM

Just an FYI..

The 2013 Insight HD chip will work for the Elite 7 HDI. I used it all of last season. It took me a few tries and a call to Lowrance to get it figured out though.

First off, your software needs to be updated to the latest version. When you put the chip in the SD slot and turn the unit on you will get a blank white screen at first. It takes at least 3-5 minutes for the map to load.

The Insight HD chip is just like any other mapping chip out there. Whether you like it or not will depend on the bodies of water you fish. For some lakes it has awesome HD mapping with accurate contours and you will love it. For other lakes, not so much.

shawn114
01-26-2014, 06:41 PM
That sounds good, but will the 3D imaging of the HD chip work with the Elite 7 series? Or for that matter would any other 3D imaging software work with the Elite 7.

KHedquist
01-26-2014, 07:28 PM
That sounds good, but will the 3D imaging of the HD chip work with the Elite 7 series? Or for that matter would any other 3D imaging software work with the Elite 7.

No 3D will not work in the Elite 7

shawn114
01-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Thanx Kirt for all your help and info, I was hoping that my 7 would be able to support the 3D imaging, but in your opinion, is the 3D just eye candy anyway or does it really make a big differance?

KHedquist
01-26-2014, 07:48 PM
I have tried it on local lakes and have not noticed a difference, I believe Doc Samson said it was for off shore situations such as ocean waters

shawn114
01-26-2014, 07:59 PM
I have offshore fished off the Atlantic in South Florida, and yes, I would have to agree that the 3D imaging would work better in those type of fishing applications due to the water depths and bottom contours. But it would have been kind of cool if my 7 could of had that capabillity of sonar technology.

Thanx again Kirt